Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2016, 05:43 AM   #1
GodSmile

Default Looking to relocate to area

Hi all, I've been following this forum for several years now and have seen lots of good info provided to folks who want to move to the area. I have a slightly different spin than what I've seen though. We'll be placing our house in MA up for sale after start of the new year. I've been watching real estate primarily in Gilford, but also Meredith. I've come to the conclusion that it's likely my current property will sell but there may not be a property immediately available for us to buy. So we may need an interim rental and the rental may extend into the spring/summer season. So with that spin on my situation, any advice would be appreciated.
GodSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 05:57 AM   #2
GBGX2

Default Town Tax Rates

Not the only factor to be sure but:

http://revenue.nh.gov/mun-prop/munic...inal-rates.pdf
GBGX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:14 AM   #3
GodSmile

Default thanks

Have been paying attn. to the taxes on RE listings. This is helpful
Old 11-04-2016, 06:32 AM   #4
jeffk

Getting a rental and having the time to wait for the right property and the right price can be a big advantage.

I bought my first house in NH in 1985 and the real estate market was red hot. Not much was available because it had all already been snapped up. We lucked out with a good house in Hudson but I remember at the time feeling that I had little choice; it was this house or none. Of course the house sold at full list.

If nothing meets your needs before your MA house sells, you can get the rental and then keep your eyes open as things come on the market and be the first to get a look at them.

Preferred Vacation Rentals at 34 Whittier Hwy, Moultonborough, NH 03254, just across the Center Harbor line might be good people to talk to. While they obviously focus on vacation rentals they know the market. They may handle longer term rentals as well but, if not, will probably know who to talk to. Their Caldwell Banker arm, in the same building, does property sales may know people willing to rent long term.

I'm not sure exactly when you plan to move up but timing may affect availability. For example, now, when the market is probably a little slower, owners may be willing to consider a rental rather than waiting until the market picks up in the spring. In the spring, owners may be more inclined to try to sell rather than accept a rental agreement. It's something to discuss with whoever you work with up here.

Good luck.
jeffk is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffk For This Useful Post:
GodSmile (11-04-2016)
Old 11-04-2016, 07:35 AM   #5
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Another vote for Preferred Rentals.......totally professional and trustworthy.
They will help you.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
GodSmile (11-04-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2016, 07:54 AM   #6
TCC

Based on our recent experience:

We started the process about two years out. On the Selling side -
(1) Thoroughly research your local market to get a clear idea of the price your existing home will sell for (max/min) and how long it will take to sell (max/min). Set "wishful thinking" aside and be as realistic as possible - hope for the best, but plan for the worst.
(2) Identify a good real estate agent who is skilled as a sellers agent. Although most agents know how to show homes to perspective Buyers, in our experience very few, probably less than 5%, are skilled in assisting the Seller in marketing their home. As the seller, the sad truth is that most agents simply want to get your signature on a contract and then collect their commission.
(3) Prep you home for the market. A LARGE part of our two year lead-up to sale was devoted to packing and house prep (new paint inside and out, refinish all hardwood, replace worn floor coverings & counter tops, spruce up the landscaping, etc.) By the time the For Sale sign goes up you want your home to be picture perfect.
(4) Choose your mover. Research your many options and get written estimates of moving costs. Ask for references. Will your mover store your belongings for a period of time if necessary? On or off the truck? (If they have to remove your belongings for storage, both the cost and chance of damage typically go up exponentially.) Consider a PODS move.
(5) Time your listing. The real estate market is most active in the spring and early summer. A seller who lists their home in early August is likely to have a long wait and probably won't get top dollar for their property. These days, the internet will tell prospective buyers how long a home has been on the market and listings go "stale" all too quickly. Try to time your preparations so the house will be market-ready in March or early April.

On the Buying side -
(1) Describe the property you want. Give long and careful thought to exactly what you're looking for in a new home. Write down and prioritize your lists of "Must Haves", "Should Haves", and "Can Not Haves". This is important, because in the end you'll likely need to make compromises.
(2) Identify one or more good real estate agents in the area(s) you want to move to. Interview at least a half dozen. Look for one who is well established, thoroughly knows the local market, and is sincerely committed to helping you find, and close on, that one property that's right for you.
(3) Research the markets, both properties offered and those that have sold. Beginning well over a year before our target listing date, we spent many hours studying listings on the internet to get an understanding of the local markets. How do asking prices compare to selling prices? What specific factors affect selling prices - up or down? How can these be used to your advantage? How do different towns' tax rates compare?
(4) Get out and look at listed homes that you feel might meet your buying criteria. Well before you're actually in a position to make an offer, this is still an essential part of the buying process. A good real estate agent will understand. Keep a list of those properties that best meet your buying criteria and choose one as your benchmark . . . "If I had to buy today, this is the home I'd choose". When something better comes along, make that your new benchmark.
(5) Will you need a new mortgage? If you will be seeking a mortgage for your new home, choose a lender and make them a partner in your home search. You want to know that problems with financing will not derail your well thought out plans.
(6) Find answers to the "what ifs". If your house sells before you can close on your new home, where would you stay for a week? 30 days? An indefinite period? Relatives? A friend's camp? What does the rental market look like in your current area? In the new area? In your area, would a prospective buyer be willing to rent back your current home to you, short term, until you can close on a new home? How would the various options affect your financial plans?

We were fortunate. In two years of research, we found exactly one property that met all of our "Must Haves" (as well as many of our "Should Haves"). It had actually been our benchmark home for over a year. It had been on the market for a while and we knew the sellers were motivated. We sold our existing within six months of listing it for slightly less than we would have liked, paid slightly more than we had hoped for our new home, and closed on two consecutive days. We made one compromise on a "Must Have", which turned out to be a blessing in disguise. The move itself went like clockwork. But . . . if the purchase had not gone through as planned, we had a solid backup plan in place, and that gave us a lot of extra confidence during negotiations.

HTH
TCC is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TCC For This Useful Post:
GodSmile (11-04-2016)
Old 11-04-2016, 01:54 PM   #7
Kamper

Month to month/by the month rentals are probably going to be cheaper away from the premium locations. Because of skiing and other sports, most of the winter rates will be close to/ the same as summer rates with only a brief shoulder season.

You may do better where you are or maybe not too close to the Lakes areas. Try Belmont, Loudon or even as far away as Concord. When you drive around also look for the local independent motel properties, stop in a safe place and look them up on the net or pop in for a chat. A lot of 'Mom and Pop's' have studios. Ok for a few months and you can leave your stuff in storage.

You might also want to stay a night or two at one of them during your search. That will allow you to scope them out and perhaps build a relation ship with the owners at the same time.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kamper For This Useful Post:
GodSmile (11-05-2016)
Old 11-04-2016, 08:15 PM   #8
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSmile View Post
Hi all, I've been following this forum for several years now and have seen lots of good info provided to folks who want to move to the area. I have a slightly different spin than what I've seen though. We'll be placing our house in MA up for sale after start of the new year. I've been watching real estate primarily in Gilford, but also Meredith. I've come to the conclusion that it's likely my current property will sell but there may not be a property immediately available for us to buy. So we may need an interim rental and the rental may extend into the spring/summer season. So with that spin on my situation, any advice would be appreciated.

Keep your eyes open for rentals with an option to buy. It may a good avenue for you to pursue in your current situation.

Best of luck!

TheTimeTraveler is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheTimeTraveler For This Useful Post:
GodSmile (11-05-2016)
Old 11-05-2016, 05:18 PM   #9
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
When you drive around also look for the local independent motel properties, stop in a safe place and look them up on the net or pop in for a chat. A lot of 'Mom and Pop's' have studios. Ok for a few months and you can leave your stuff in storage.

You might also want to stay a night or two at one of them during your search. That will allow you to scope them out and perhaps build a relation ship with the owners at the same time.

Good luck!
Excellent advice. Thank you.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheProfessor For This Useful Post:
GodSmile (11-06-2016)
Old 06-14-2017, 06:45 AM   #10
GodSmile

Default We did it!

Bought a property in Alton, with closing in August. We found inventory very low in our price range in the area, and were prepared to rent. We were very fortunate to land the house we bought!

Now to research older threads for cable/satellite, contractors, furniture stores and a whole host of things I haven't even thought of.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:32 AM   #11
Doobs41378

Quote:
Bought a property in Alton, with closing in August. We found inventory very low in our price range in the area, and were prepared to rent. We were very fortunate to land the house we bought!

Now to research older threads for cable/satellite, contractors, furniture stores and a whole host of things I haven't even thought of.
Pics or it didn't happen
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:59 AM   #12
GodSmile

Default For the doubters out there

first try uploading pictures to the forum... hope this works!
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2017, 09:19 AM   #13
HellRaZoR004

Awesome, congratulations!!!
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:46 AM   #14
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Very nice--good luck with your new home!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:53 AM   #15
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Congrats, very nice. Do you have waterfront or water rights?
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:03 AM   #16
GodSmile

Cool Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Congrats, very nice. Do you have waterfront or water rights?
Thank you! No waterfront or water rights.... but boat is up the road at Fays. Can see the water.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:08 AM   #17
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Thank you! No waterfront or water rights.... but boat is up the road at Fays. Can see the water.
As long as you're on the water on a beautiful summer day life is good! I have fond memories of Alton Bay. I use to have a place on the Bay many years ago across from Sandy Point. I wish I never sold it! That was back when they had the roller skating pavilion and the old movie house down in the bay.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:40 AM   #18
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Very nice!! Congratulations!!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:47 AM   #19
HomeWood

Beautiful house! Congrats! My wife and I recently bought land in Sanbornton for our future retirement home.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 03:36 PM   #20
StardogChampion

Quote:
Congratulations!

We moved into our house in Gilford this past December. We got some nice couches at reasonable prices from Ippolito's in Meredith. Ask for Stephanie. She is the best to work with.

We also got some nice bedroom furniture from Ashley Furniture in Manchester. It was a little extra to have it delivered up this far but not too bad.
StardogChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:06 PM   #21
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
first try uploading pictures to the forum... hope this works!
Congrats on your new home Godsmile!

For furniture, be sure to check out American Cottage right here in Gilford and speak to Jodi. They sell top quality stuff custom made to your specifics.

Again, congrats!

Dan
Old 06-15-2017, 09:59 PM   #22
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Great friends with the listing agent Nancy Deporter and her husband Doug, they are awesome to work with!

Nice place!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:33 AM   #23
GodSmile

Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post
Congratulations!

We moved into our house in Gilford this past December. We got some nice couches at reasonable prices from Ippolito's in Meredith. Ask for Stephanie. She is the best to work with.

We also got some nice bedroom furniture from Ashley Furniture in Manchester. It was a little extra to have it delivered up this far but not too bad.
Will have a look.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:50 AM   #24
GodSmile

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Congrats on your new home Godsmile!

For furniture, be sure to check out American Cottage right here in Gilford and speak to Jodi. They sell top quality stuff custom made to your specifics.

Again, congrats!

Dan
Was in there a long time ago, but will have to check it out again. Thanks!
Old 06-16-2017, 05:52 AM   #25
GodSmile

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Great friends with the listing agent Nancy Deporter and her husband Doug, they are awesome to work with!

Nice place!
She has been great, as has been our buyers agent, Tom Drouin of Roche Realty.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:47 PM   #26
ghfromaltonbay

Default Congratulations!

I know several people living in your association. You picked a great neighborhood!
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:26 PM   #27
dickiej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
As long as you're on the water on a beautiful summer day life is good! I have fond memories of Alton Bay. I use to have a place on the Bay many years ago across from Sandy Point. I wish I never sold it! That was back when they had the roller skating pavilion and the old movie house down in the bay.
My dad had a place in Peggy's Cove....me and my best friend used to row all the way to the bandstand....I kissed my first girl in the roller skating rink when I was 14.... I still remember her name: Sandy from Somerville. We used to play pinball over next to the public beach. My dad finally got a 14' Dreamboat with a 35 hp Chrysler and we had so much fun exploring the southern end of therapy. The best years of my life.....not a care in the world!
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:29 PM   #28
dickiej

Should have been "southern part of the lake", although it was good therapy!
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:05 PM   #29
DRH

Thumbs up Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay View Post
I know several people living in your association. You picked a great neighborhood!
How right you are! It's a wonderful neighborhood!