Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-28-2008, 01:26 PM   #1
angela4design

Default What else is planned near Lowe's in Gilford?

Driving by recently, I noticed that "Winnipesaukee Crossing" as it's now called has space on their roadside signs for another 'anchor' store, and another smaller shop. Right now, we have only Lowe's and Papa Gino's.

I've heard Christmas Tree Shop (a rumor, I guess, but still has my vote), Wal-Mart is moving there, another grocery store might go in, and so on.

Does anyone have actual info about the plans there? I wonder who might invest in this location (or if plans may be 'on hold' in such a soft market)?

(Crossing my fingers for Christmas Tree Shop, lol)
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 01:42 PM   #2
LittleTed67

I don't have any info, but will also be keeping my fingers crossed for a Christams Tree Shop!
LittleTed67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 01:43 PM   #3
Chickie

Default Lowe's Winnipesaukee Crossing

The old rumor floating around for the past few years was that Hannaford's was going to move there, but nothing ever transpired so apparently that prospect has died on the vine.

My vote is for a Christmas Tree Shop, too. Wonderful bargains and a variety of goodies. Truly a place you can shop 'til you drop and enjoy every minute of it.
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 02:39 PM   #4
Mr. V

A Christmas Tree shop?

That's for the ladies.

How about a Guns and Ammo Emporium?
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:35 PM   #5
Irish mist

Hanaford's was supposed to move over there, but once the Meredith store became a reality those plans got put on hold.
________
ANGELINA JOLIE PICS

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2008, 10:52 AM   #6
dpg

Christmas Tree Shop?? We're talking New Hampshire here folks, water, mountains. I vote for a two story, 24 hour Bass Pro Shop. I live near a C.T.S here in Mass, my wife comes home with junk from there all the time. Most of which gets thrown out a few months later cause, well it's junk.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:18 AM   #7
AC2717

Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Christmas Tree Shop?? We're talking New Hampshire here folks, water, mountains. I vote for a two story, 24 hour Bass Pro Shop. I live near a C.T.S here in Mass, my wife comes home with junk from there all the time. Most of which gets thrown out a few months later cause, well it's junk.
I have been asking and pondering why there is not at least a West Marine or a Boaters World Or now even a Bass Pro Shop in the area for years, It would make Sense given all the water around there would be at least a Marine Type SuperStore here, this is one thing I would not mind seeing in the way of progress
Old 09-29-2008, 11:51 AM   #8
jads32

maybe they will put in a laundrymat beside Lowes
jads32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:17 PM   #9
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts
Default Cabela's would be nice

Well it would be nice to have one. Guns (wife is looking for a 20 ga O/U for skeet), ammo, fishing stuff (we do have a derby now and then), great selection of clothing, etc.

Of course a Cabela's and Lowes side by side would be a budget buster
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:06 AM   #10
fatnoah

I live near a C.T.S here in Mass, my wife comes home with junk from there all the time. Most of which gets thrown out a few months later cause, well it's junk.

Hah! I'm in the same situation, which is why I call it Crapmastree Shop!
fatnoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:09 PM   #11
HUH

Default Cts

Please .. these places need to go .. CTS, home goods etc ... all made in CHINA !
HUH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:16 PM   #12
The Big Kahuna

Default Target

They are going to build a Target in that location.
The Big Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:12 PM   #13
nj2nh

Default Christmas Tree Shop fan

Okay, I have to weigh in here. The Christmas Tree Shops are great. Just because you don't like them, doesn't mean you have to be all nasty about it. My house is decorated with lots of great stuff from that store and it doesn't look cheap at all. The stuff is cute for when you have little ones in the house, great for inexpensive gifty things, and pretty darn good for gourmet foods. They have good frames at inexpensive prices. Ditto for pillows and other homey stuff. I have a friend who makes tons of money at the holidays by turning the baskets and bowls from CTS into gift baskets, filled with their mixes and gourmet foods.

As for Home Goods, most of the stuff in that store is top of the line merchandise that was either an overrun or didn't sell at Macy's, etc. If you ever really looked, you would see that their china is the expensive stuff.

By the way, I love Cabela's and the Kittery Trading Post. They, too, have lots of junk from China. Just because it's for guys doesn't mean it isn't junk and just because it's decorative doesn't mean it is.

So there. I have spoken my piece.

I vote for Target. More junk from China!

nj2nh

P.S. I live in Jersey, minutes from four, yes, four shopping malls. I'll take the Christmas Tree Shop for decorative stuff any day. Oh, and I don't work in retail. I'm a lawyer!
Old 09-30-2008, 07:58 PM   #14
LittleTed67

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Kahuna View Post
They are going to build a Target in that location.
Seriously?!?! Okay, be still my heart . . . a Target would make me even happier than a Chirstmas Tree Shop . . . DH would be way happier too - LOL
LittleTed67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:44 PM   #15
phoenix

Target is the missing piece of the area would be great. Any fact behind this statement
Old 10-01-2008, 07:21 AM   #16
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Maybe another restaraunt that sells Lobster.....You know....because it is near a LAKE!

I thought a Home Depot was going in somewhere around there too. Probably not any more now that they are closing stores.

I have never understood why no West Marine either. Most likely because of the local Marinas not wanting in there....
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:56 PM   #17
Toyorelle

Default movies

Wasn't Lakes Region Cinema supposed to re-open with a new state of the art cinema?
Toyorelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:51 PM   #18
The Big Kahuna

Default Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
Target is the missing piece of the area would be great. Any fact behind this statement
Yes, I heard it from the building contractor.
The Big Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:13 AM   #19
Belmont Resident

Default I be surprised if anything went in

Many of the factories are either downsizing, closing of moving out of the country.
Manufacturing is becoming a thing of the past in this area and will continue to do so.
We see more and more For Rent signs all around Laconia as people loose jobs and move elsewhere. How many places have come and gone in this area in the last 5 years.
A lot is greed, look what happened to Burger King. I’d heard the owners went up on the rent. BK offered to buy but owners said no. In the spring the place will have been on the market for a year.
Being that much of the revenue in this area is seasonal and the economy is going south it would be hard to justify some of the suggestions.
Tilton would be a better choice due to its proximity to 93.
As a local I'd rather see a Market Basket come to this area as it would probably shut down Shaws. I hear of more and more people driving to Tilton MB because they dislike what Shaws has to offer.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:45 AM   #20
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts
Thumbs up Target and Cabela's and Market Basket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
As a local I'd rather see a Market Basket come to this area as it would probably shut down Shaws. I hear of more and more people driving to Tilton MB because they dislike what Shaws has to offer.
OK, Ok I am having a daydream here. Shaws leaves town taking their consumer tracking cards, price gimmicks and high costs with them. Market Basket moves in restoring consumer confidence and low prices to the local market.

Target moves in to offer an option to Wal-Mart for all those general items that we need.

Cabela's moves in to offer all those items that, while not basic necessities, are essential to the pursuit of happiness.
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:33 PM   #21
phoenix

MB has incredible prices compared to others in the area and now being back in Phoenix much lower than here. Don't know how they price as low even with volume so even with gas prices we would drive to Tilton and just make sure that we did all other errands while we were down there. Would love to see MB come to Gilford or Meredith
Old 10-03-2008, 05:58 PM   #22
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
Many of the factories are either downsizing, closing of moving out of the country.
Manufacturing is becoming a thing of the past in this area and will continue to do so.
We see more and more For Rent signs all around Laconia as people loose jobs and move elsewhere. How many places have come and gone in this area in the last 5 years.
A lot is greed, look what happened to Burger King. I?d heard the owners went up on the rent. BK offered to buy but owners said no. In the spring the place will have been on the market for a year.
Being that much of the revenue in this area is seasonal and the economy is going south it would be hard to justify some of the suggestions.
Tilton would be a better choice due to its proximity to 93.
The future of Belknap county long-term is going to be great. This is becoming a retirement area, and those people bring a lot of money, and don't use too many services. This is a rural area that depends on tourism and retail. So though I'm upset manufacturing is leaving....I'm not surprised.

I do everything at Tilton: Market Basket which has incredible prices, Wal-Mat, and BJ's. An I agree with you: I only step into Shaws when I get their sale items....otherwise I buy nothing there.

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:50 AM   #23
HUH

Default Retail.. Manufacturing ..

Gilford should be niether. Am I missing something here? Gilford has always been a beautiful, seasonal, rural community. I cant understand why anyone would want more construction, traffic and unnecessary junk retail stores. If its something we NEED fine but we already have two supermarkets within a 1/4 of a mile of each other. All those little junk chinese nick nacks waste precious natural resources. And no im not upset, just trying to enlighten
Old 10-08-2008, 08:52 AM   #24
fatlazyless

Here's a suggestion for the empty retail space that shares the building with Papa Gino's next to Lowe's in Gilford, NH.

"Where everything costs a dollar."

The DOLLAR TREE!

From wasp & hornet spray to manilla mailing envelopes to Ronald Reagan (reg price 12.95) biographies....all for one dollar.

Next to Lowes-Gilford, and another good spot is next to Rite Aid-Meredith.

There's a Dollar Tree in Plymouth very close to Wal-Mart. Want to see a Dollar Tree take root in Gilford or Meredith.....send them an email at www.dollartree.com.

It would probably be an instant success. A Dollar Tree could be a viable business in either location.

Is the success of Dollar Tree good news, or bad news?

Littleton, North Conway, Plymouth and Tilton have Dollar Trees, so Gilford and Meredith are probably on their radar screen. Anyone know what other NH towns have a Dollar Tree?

From the Dollar Menu to the Dollar Tree...what's really needed is a dollar gallon of gasoline! In October, 2003, a gallon cost 1.29. Somewhere, I read that gasoline for Iraqis costs 35 cents...such a deal...any truth to that?
Old 10-08-2008, 02:04 PM   #25
HUH

Default Retail space

How about a park and some trees
Old 10-08-2008, 06:17 PM   #26
Waterbaby

Default Retirees Bring Money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish mist View Post
The future of Belknap county long-term is going to be great. This is becoming a retirement area, and those people bring a lot of money, and don't use too many services. This is a rural area that depends on tourism and retail. So though I'm upset manufacturing is leaving....I'm not surprised.

I do everything at Tilton: Market Basket which has incredible prices, Wal-Mat, and BJ's. An I agree with you: I only step into Shaws when I get their sale items....otherwise I buy nothing there.
Gotta ask -- have you been watching the market lately? And hearing what's happening to retirement and pension funds? People are now thinking they're going to have to work longer before they can retire, so the future you are seeing will probably not arrive as soon as you may think.

On another note, I too shop at Market Basket here where I live, and unless Shaw's has at least three great specials to make it worthwhile for me to go there I don't step foot into the place. Same for Stop and Shop, which is in the same general area, here.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:23 PM   #27
Waterbaby

Default On Dollar Tree...............

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post

Is the success of Dollar Tree good news, or bad news?

Littleton, North Conway, Plymouth and Tilton have Dollar Trees, so Gilford and Meredith are probably on their radar screen. Anyone know what other NH towns have a Dollar Tree?
Re: Success -- I'd say bad news, it's just encouraging the sale of cheap junk from China, overall, stimulating THEIR economy, when it's here in the good ol' U.S. that we need help - jobs, jobs, and more jobs. Me? I will no longer buy anything bearing the "made in China" sticker, and haven't for quite a while.

A couple of other towns with Dollar Trees -- Raymond, in the same plaza as the ACE/Ben Franklin and the State Liquor Store (go figure, lol) and also a new one in Seabrook on Route 1.

(Gotta love what could be the analogy of "Dollar Tree", however................... money grows on trees?)
Old 10-08-2008, 08:11 PM   #28
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbaby View Post
Gotta ask -- have you been watching the market lately? And hearing what's happening to retirement and pension funds? People are now thinking they're going to have to work longer before they can retire, so the future you are seeing will probably not arrive as soon as you may think.

On another note, I too shop at Market Basket here where I live, and unless Shaw's has at least three great specials to make it worthwhile for me to go there I don't step foot into the place. Same for Stop and Shop, which is in the same general area, here.
I'm talking about the boomers 1946-1964 who are just starting to retire.....and will be retiring here in the next 15 years: Hence my thoughts that the future looks good for this area. If people don't panic the market will be back in several years, and people who are near retirement should of course be mostly out of the stock market.

Yup......Shaw's is terrible. Another good place to shop is the Super Wal-Mart in Concord, though Market Basket holds its own against them.

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:18 AM   #29
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
I thought a Home Depot was going in somewhere around there too. Probably not any more now that they are closing stores.
Those plans died this spring about the same time Irwins roof did. I see a lot of people don't like shaws because of their prices which is why we go to the Hannafords next door. A MB would make both of them a little more honest though.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:35 PM   #30
Waterbaby

Default Gotcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish mist View Post
I'm talking about the boomers 1946-1964 who are just starting to retire.....and will be retiring here in the next 15 years: Hence my thoughts that the future looks good for this area. If people don't panic the market will be back in several years, and people who are near retirement should of course be mostly out of the stock market.

Yup......Shaw's is terrible. Another good place to shop is the Super Wal-Mart in Concord, though Market Basket holds its own against them.
Ahhhhhhhhh, now I understand. Times like this I'm glad I'm no further than midpoint of the 40-60 age range of Winni.com demographics, lol -- still time to wait for the market to rebound.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:58 PM   #31
jetskier

Post Not today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbaby View Post
Ahhhhhhhhh, now I understand. Times like this I'm glad I'm no further than midpoint of the 40-60 age range of Winni.com demographics, lol -- still time to wait for the market to rebound.
I am feeling like a canary in a coal mine

It is amazing to see the market drop 5% per day every day. At this point, it seems like riding it out is about the only strategy. At least real estate is doing well - oh, wait a minute.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:16 PM   #32
Waterbaby

Red face Wait More Than a Minute.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
I am feeling like a canary in a coal mine

It is amazing to see the market drop 5% per day every day. At this point, it seems like riding it out is about the only strategy. At least real estate is doing well - oh, wait a minute.

Jetskier
Amazing isn't the word for it........... I'm not doing too badly, I moved my 401k funds out of stock-type things into just a money market fund a few months back, hadn't gotten around to moving it into anything else. Hubby kept saying "you're not earning anything to speak of!" and I kept procrastinating regarding looking at other mutuals etc. Well, maybe I wasn't earning anything but I haven't lost anything now! Sometimes, procrastination pays. His 401k, on the other hand...........