Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-09-2010, 12:22 PM   #1
farmfooz

Question

I am hoping to buy a new home on Waukewan Street. I am wondering if anyone can shed some light on the land up there. Its like a bomb went off! Its alot of land abutting RT 104 which I can deal with (the house is far enough away) I am not from Meredith so anyone with some insight would be huge for me and my young family. We cant wait to get there but just looking for some pro's,con's etc from the locals. Thank you in advance!

Last edited by farmfooz; 02-12-2010 at 03:03 PM.
farmfooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:31 PM   #2
fatlazyless

If you are talking about the large tract on Waukewan St that had all the trees removed in a timber clear-cut, I conject that it was done to raise some money. At basically no cost to the land owner, a logger will pay for the business of harvesting trees suitable for the commercial sawmill.

The town makes a timber tax, the property owner makes an agreed price, and the logger hauls it all off to the Gerronimo Sawmill up in Warren, or someplace. And, the land is now clear-cut with all the slash removed.

Probably, a similar transaction took place at the clear-cut, 6-acre tract in the Weirs, just beyond the Cumberland gasoline store, on Rt 3.

It looks like it was a case of trees vs money, and the money had the better argument!

(100% conjecture-no inside info here)

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-10-2010 at 07:38 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:17 AM   #3
ApS

Thumbs down Clearcuts—My Favorite Rant...

1) A few years ago, a bigger bomb went off north of Wolfeboro: I asked my firewood provider why this new delivery was cheaper than last year's delivery.

He said he'd just cleared 500 acres off Rt. 28!

2) Also, there's money in "slash": I once asked for a handy 6' length of hardwood rather than his having to drag it uphill to the chipper.

My request was declined—you'd think I'd asked for gold!

3) I'd previously promised a photo of a similar "bomb" that had cleared an entire mountainside in Pennsylvania: in the interim, the town of Hazelton had erected a huge roadside barrier!

4) As to Meredith, I've never seen so many logging trucks as those operating in the Meredith/Center Harbor area: fully loaded—plus towing a fully-loaded trailer—they're a roadway bomb in themselves!

Their speeds would suggest they're "getting away" with something—and just maybe, they are.

5) My cottage of 50+ years abuts a recently-foreclosed development. The good news (for me) was that the abutting airport runway started out without any trees! Forest abutting the runway—which the developer promised was "to be preserved in perpetuity"—is, however, being cut away.

How else are you going to get a view of the forests without cutting down the trees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmfooz View Post
"...Its like a bomb went off! Its alot of land abutting RT 104 which I can deal with (the house is far enough away)..."
Bottom line?

I don't think anyone's house can be "far enough away".
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:33 AM   #4
steadyon

Good luck! Meredith is a great town, I am a native and I can attest to that.
send me a message if you need an inspection.
steadyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:18 PM   #5
Weirs guy

farmfooz: you won't be disappointed!

last spring my family and i had the opportunity to purchase a house just off waukewan on clough, and its been the best move we ever made. coming from laconia we find meredith to be a lot more community orientated, and an easier community to deal with overall then most of the other towns we've lived in around this area. not a slam to anyone elses town, a kudos to meredith.

our kids have fit in very nicely at school and in sports. waukewans a nice, quiet little lake with a "good enough" beach and enough fish to entertain us. most of the things you need for everyday life can be found a few seconds up the street in the village, but the area around the lake is generally quiet. no one seems to mind the occasionally blowout party either. its a easy commute to i93 on 104, but waukewan itself seems to usually miss out on all the heavy summer traffic. taxes are good based on the area and services we get (easy now less, i know what your thinking) and the town gov seems to be level headed and is in line with our values and needs. snowmobile trails right next to the beach, lumber yards around the corner, and a train to haul my drunk butt back from the weirs on bikeweek!

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2010, 04:24 PM   #6
Pineedles

The only thing with Waukewan Rd is that it is the short cut for those wanting to bypass Meredith from 104 to Center Harbor. But that's our little secret.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:36 PM   #7
WeirsBeachBoater

There is occasionally a little summer traffic flow, but otherwise a very convenient Street! There are two great hidden gems on the street. CFO which is a Motorcycle/Snowmobile Repair shop, and M Town Auto Detailing, they do a nice job keeping your car looking great.
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #8
CARDER LANE

Default Waukewan Street

My wife and I moved to Meredith 5 years ago. We are on Waukewan St. and love it. Good schools, reasonable taxes and great people.Traffic is not too bad except during bike week, but that is good noise. The town beach on Waukewan is well cared for and the lake has the best sunsets around, IMHO. Watch out for the cop across from Monkey pond. Good luck with your decision. If I can be of any help, pm me.
CARDER LANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:10 PM   #9
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acre, Also, there's money in "slash": I once asked for a handy 6' length of hardwood rather than his having to drag it uphill to the chipper.

[I
My request was declined—you'd think I'd asked for gold![/I]
No shortage of 48' trailers loaded with tons of woodchips exiting Rt 93-Exit 24-Ashland enroute to the nearby Bridgewater Power Plant where woodchips get converted into kilowatts and loaded into the electric power grid.

Aproximately July 11, 1949 was when New Hampshire switched from an annual timber tax on standing living trees to a 10% local tax due when trees were cut for timber. Used to be, woodlots were cut a little bit, every year, to raise money to pay the local timber tax which was thought to be a bad practice by sitting Governor Sherman Adams who had a background working in Lincoln, NH, for timber companies.

There's this magical monster big machine in Bridgewater where woodchips go in one side, and electricity comes out the other side!
Old 02-10-2010, 06:12 PM   #10
farmfooz

Smile Thank you all so much

My family greatly appreciates the information. Please keep it coming it makes a huge decision so much less frightening for us. The land abutts most of the street! It's huge and a dream for someone that loves to ATV. How busy is rt 104 in the summer. You can see the back of my new house from the road but it's not that loud for some reason. At least for now. Anyway I am grateful to all my new neighbors to be for this!
Old 02-11-2010, 10:52 AM   #11
Meredith Resident

Quote:
My family greatly appreciates the information. Please keep it coming it makes a huge decision so much less frightening for us. The land abutts most of the street! It's huge and a dream for someone that loves to ATV. How busy is rt 104 in the summer. You can see the back of my new house from the road but it's not that loud for some reason. At least for now. Anyway I am grateful to all my new neighbors to be for this!
I think I know the land you are speaking about, and I agree it is nice. I actually looked into buying some myself. Be careful though, because although it shows 4-7 acres per lot, most of that is wetlands, so you won't be able to build on most of it. Go to the town and get the map survey first. I know the people selling it; they will also build for you if you are interested. They have already built two houses on Waukewan Street.
Meredith Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:15 AM   #12
Meredith Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meredith Resident View Post
I think I know the land you are speaking about, and I agree it is nice. I actually looked into buying some myself. Be careful though, because although it shows 4-7 acres per lot, most of that is wetlands, so you won't be able to build on most of it. Go to the town and get the map survey first. I know the people selling it; they will also build for you if you are interested. They have already built two houses on Waukewan Street.
I just realized you are interested in the house NOT the land. The house looks to be of relatively good construction, and materials. Your lot is also wetlands though, so you won’t be able to use all those 4 acres. Also I am not sure why they didn't use public water, as there is a well on the property. Also the driveway is going to need to be paved, as that road gets a lot of water runoff, and will get really muddy in the spring. Also there is a neighbor about 2 doors down who collects junk, and plays his music really loud at night. I have heard many people call the police on him through my scanner, and they wish to remain anonymous for fear of the guy. There is a house right next door that cannot sell because of the "junk guy." You might run into the same problem, but you are a decent space away from him.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:22 AM   #13
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Is your house the new colonial next to the other new colonial on the right headed to Meredith? If so, it looks nice!

waukewan Rd may get traffic but the MPD do a pretty good job (perhaps too good) enforcing the 25 MPH speed limit
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:39 AM   #14
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

I love how everyone refers to clear cutting as bombs going off, as that is basically what happens. There is a lot of money in harvesting an area, especially if it is covered with mill-able hardwood...

Unfortunately harvesting wood is necessary.... it allow the smaller trees to grow and prevents dead wood. However it doesn't have to be done through clear cutting. If you bring someone in to clear a lot that knows what they are doing, They thin the lot, and don't clear cut.... Take only what is profitable to take and leave the stuff that should be left....
Old 02-11-2010, 11:42 AM   #15
farmfooz

Smile city water how far up waukewan??

Yes the 4 acres beyond the stream is mostly WET..Nice views however. it will be primary just a recreational area for us and "buffer"..the house is nice actually, 2x6 construction, cool layout too. I WISH it had a garage like the house next door. that will be the first thing I start saving money to do. I am told that NO city water up there...stops at house number 54? I think the sewer is a bonus and was really a big factor in us buying the home.

Last edited by farmfooz; 02-11-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:21 PM   #16
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
I love how everyone refers to clear cutting as bombs going off, as that is basically what happens. There is a lot of money in harvesting an area, especially if it is covered with mill-able hardwood...
It is actually refered to as "Nuking" by the very folks that cut the trees. My friend runs his own logging company in the area and he has used that term many times in decribing a lot that someone has paid him to clear.

Not all timber rights are purchased by the loggers, most in this area (not talking great north woods) are simply cut and a set price paid to the owner and the logger gets what is left at the mill. Most logging truck companies are independent of the cutters as well, which adds more overhead to the mix. Really in talking with him, it is not a real money making business, for the amount of work put in anyway. The land owners make out the best in the whole deal, even after the taxes are paid.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:45 PM   #17
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
Really in talking with him, it is not a real money making business, for the amount of work put in anyway. The land owners make out the best in the whole deal, even after the taxes are paid.
In deed the land owners are definately the ones that make out the best... they are paid to allow someone the right to Harvest there land.

Having said that, the reason most lots are basically clear cut is that the logger, is try to harvest the mill able material which he will make most of his money back on, and then takes the rest for firewood, which is where they make their profit.

As I mention what is really disirable is to work with a logging company, to selectively harvest a lot.... take out what is profitable to take out for milling, and off course take out misc. Trees as well.... but yet leave enough behind so that things still look wooded, and healthy....

unfortunately it is easier to clear cut.......
Old 02-11-2010, 04:59 PM   #18
farmfooz

Default will need garage built ASAP!~

Anyone know any rock solid builder that will work with me on price to get a garage or barn up on that property ASAP? please private me so this question about waukewan st does not become a thread about clear cutting and the like...Thank you
Old 02-11-2010, 05:31 PM   #19
Irish mist

Quote:
Anyone know any rock solid builder that will work with me on price to get a garage or barn up on that property ASAP? please private me so this question about waukewan st does not become a thread about clear cutting and the like...Thank you
Call Jason Drouin: 527-6621 He's a local builder from Gilford NH. Young guy.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:07 PM   #20
Hshag

You found yourself a good spot. My wife and I live just up the street at Waukewan Village. We love the location. Best of all it’s just a minute to Karen and Barry’s and Famous Pizza. Don’t forget to get yourself a dump "sticka" for only 20 bucks.
Welcome, we'll toot on our way to town.
Hshag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:46 AM   #21
jmen24

Must of found out some bad news about the junk guy and decided it was better to remove all traces of comment.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:28 AM   #22
farmfooz

Default moving on

Actually no..I dont need endless commentary on the subject. I got my answers and moved on.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:37 AM   #23
farmfooz

Default does 104 drive you nuts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hshag View Post
You found yourself a good spot. My wife and I live just up the street at Waukewan Village. We love the location. Best of all it’s just a minute to Karen and Barry’s and Famous Pizza. Don’t forget to get yourself a dump "sticka" for only 20 bucks.
Welcome, we'll toot on our way to town.
thanks for the tip.. I am happy to hear you like living up there. We looked there too. does 104 drive you nuts.. I dont have any experience living on or near that road/highway. Thanks for the dump reminder!
Old 02-17-2010, 09:50 AM   #24
jmen24

Quote:
Actually no..I dont need endless commentary on the subject. I got my answers and moved on.
No hard feeling, just thought it was odd that all your comments were removed, the thread really makes no sense without them. Hopefully you can get your improvements done to get the home to be exactly what you want (garage), I am waiting on one of those as well. Enjoy the area.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:38 PM   #25
PennyPenny

Smile

I grew up in Meredith and actually owned 2 homes on Waukewan St. in my earlier years. I still have family that owns and lives on Waukewan St and Ave. Yes, it is convenient to downtown and Rt104, but it is a busy street. I think everyone knows the "shortcut" to Rt 104 to avoid the lights. There will be traffic noice during the summer from the street or Rt104 if you are close to either. It is a nice street and close to town. Hope it works out for you and your family if that is what you decide.
PennyPenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:02 PM   #26
Hshag

Quote:
thanks for the tip.. I am happy to hear you like living up there. We looked there too. does 104 drive you nuts.. I dont have any experience living on or near that road/highway. Thanks for the dump reminder!
Rt 104 doesn't bother us at all. It does get a little loud during bike week,but it's a good loud.. My wife and I call the rt 104 noise a poor man's ocean noise from our deck.
Hshag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:34 AM   #27
Meredith Resident

Quote:
Ok. Does that mean you bought the house? I noticed the for sale sign was down. Given all things considered from postings here, I think it is a smart move to buy it.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:32 AM   #28
Meredith Resident

Looks like this house is back on the market, and the OP is MIA.

http://www.nneren.com/view2.php?id=2819129
Old 02-23-2010, 09:57 PM   #29
partsman

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
If you are talking about the large tract on Waukewan St that had all the trees removed in a timber clear-cut, I conject that it was done to raise some money. At basically no cost to the land owner, a logger will pay for the business of harvesting trees suitable for the commercial sawmill.

The town makes a timber tax, the property owner makes an agreed price, and the logger hauls it all off to the Gerronimo Sawmill up in Warren, or someplace. And, the land is now clear-cut with all the slash removed.

Probably, a similar transaction took place at the clear-cut, 6-acre tract in the Weirs, just beyond the Cumberland gasoline store, on Rt 3.

It looks like it was a case of trees vs money, and the money had the better argument!

(100% conjecture-no inside info here)
The sad thing about the tract beside cumberland farms is that the developer is turning the parcel into a self storage facility. In my opinion, a terrible waste of a nice property in the commercial/resort zone.

I hope the wood was worth it.
partsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:40 AM   #30
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsman View Post

The sad thing about the tract beside cumberland farms is that the developer is turning the parcel into a self storage facility. In my opinion, a terrible waste of a nice property in the commercial/resort zone.

I hope the wood was worth it.
Building a self storage-multiple garage style utility building is most likely not what the Laconia city government would like to see there, on that Rt 3, 6-acre lot that overlooks the lake, just downhill from the Cumberland Farm gas & go.

Probably, something like a (name a viable attractive business) would be much more welcome in that high visibility, commercial location!

Maybe a nice looking office building with a landscaped perimeter and parking lot; office space to various professions; health, finance, insurance, design, government?

Maybe a tennis club with four indoor courts surrounded by ten more outdoor courts? That's certainly way better looking than those ugly storage buildings.....yeah....tennis courts....would fit right well with the local demographics and location. Future home to the Winnipesaukee Tennis Open.....as seen on world-wide tv for the next 100-years! Seems like outdoor tennis is now doable from April thru November....as least it was in 2009.

Wonder what the current property tax is there now, on Endicott St North, Laconia, as a treeless, six acres fronting Route 3, and overlooking Lake Winnipesaukee from a nice, empty hillside spot?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-28-2010 at 07:46 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote