Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-13-2010, 03:31 PM   #1
tummyman

Default Class VI Roads / Private Roads

I live on a Class VI road.... I'd be interested in any comments about Class VI roads in general.

Last edited by tummyman; 01-13-2010 at 09:33 PM.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
lawn psycho

Default Public Roads

Tummyman, you need to look at your deed. Is it common property, is there actually an association, etc.

My suggestion is to talk this over with your neighbors and see if they will agree to obtain legal interpretation of your property if you have concerns. If it's several owners paying, it would not be very expensive and give you piece of mind. Heck, you may get lucky and find out the town is liable for the maintanence. Or, you could find out that someone's property has an easement which has it's own nuances to sift through. Many possible scenarios are possible.

Regarding liability, if it is common property you and your neighbors could obtain a liability policy. Most "real" homeowner associations have theses types of property for common spaces, open spaces, and the like.
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
wifi

Default Be careful what you wish for....

Very interesting question, seeing you live in Moultonboro.

I won't quote RSAs, or news articles, as they are easy to Google up, and I don't want to spray out info that can be readily found.

Years back, the town used to plow driveways for the very reasonable fee of $25 per season. This went on for ever and ever, UNTIL people returned to discover a mailbox had been hit or some branches broken by the plows. (The town hired private people to do the driveways). Lawyers started getting involved and the town threw up its hands and canceled the whole program. So now, you have to pay for it yourself at slightly more than $25/season

So, Moultonboro will plow private roads (take Suissevale or Balmoral as examples) in the name of an RSA that allows the town to expend private funds to do this in case of an emergency situation. (The town quietly declares an emergency so private roads can be cleared). Now private ROWs are not included (as I understand, as this is tantamount to a private driveway). Check out what happened in Center Harbor a year or two ago, when people on private ROWs got lawyers involved to get the town to clear them (claiming the town of CH was clearing private roads, so why not their ROW). Same as happened to Moultonboro's driveway cleaning, its not worth it for the town.

Most roads in Moultonboro are private, and if lawyers or the courts get involved in a protracted battle, figure on dropping your plow as you get off Rt 25 for miles en route to your house.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:48 PM   #4
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummyman View Post
I'd be interested in any comments about Class VI roads in general.
adopt a "dont ask, dont tell" policy unless you have an issue

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:15 PM   #5
Sue Doe-Nym

New Hampshire has seven classifications of PUBLIC highways ranging from Class I through Class VI (there is also a class III-a). Please note that these are public roads as opposed to private roads and should not be confused with plowing or associations. See RSA229:5(I) and specifically RSA 229:5, VII which pertains to Class VI roads. Be careful because roads can go back and forth between V and VI depending on maintenance by the town. Also, there can be "gates and bars" on a Class VI road but it is still open to the pubic. If you think all this is confusing you are right. It is best if you do your own research and learn about the intracacies rather than get incorrect information from well meaning neighbors and friends who are not that knowledgeable. Calss VI roads are further confusing since after defining all of the othger classes of roads, Class VI roads are defined as "all other existing public ways" that are not otherwise classified.

Good luck!
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2010, 06:15 PM   #6
breathe easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
Most roads in Moultonboro are private,.
Anyone know the percentage private vs. public? Just curious.
breathe easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:41 PM   #7
Bear Island South

Default fact sheet

here is an easy to read fact sheet on Class VI roads
Attached Images
File Type: pdf factsheetclassviroads.pdf (75.0 KB, 685 views)
Bear Island South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:31 PM   #8
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

WiFi....Thank you for reminding me when the town plowed driveways for $25 per season.
At that time,the town paid $15 per hour for a driver with his own truck.I remember well.....In the early 70's,Mel Borrin and I had a route on Moultonborough neck.We traveled together in case one of us got stuck.We had every side road and driveway from Kona Farm to long Island and Geneva point.We frequently worked 36 to 50 hours straight durring some of the big storms back then.In case any of you thought Mel is just a gentleman realtor.....I can tell you that he is quite a guy.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:16 AM   #9
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
....In case any of you thought Mel is just a gentleman realtor.....I can tell you that he is quite a guy.
I was on the FD with Mel for many, many, .... years. I agree with you.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:26 PM   #10
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Island South View Post
here is an easy to read fact sheet on Class VI roads
Thanks BIS. I was quoting from a booklet put out by the NHMA. Your sheet offers a much easier explanation.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote