Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2015, 10:42 AM   #1
Chickie

Default Anadama Bread

There use to be a food category here but I don't see it, so am posting my question under general topics. Is there a bakery or supermarket in the area where you can buy Anadama Bread? My mother often made it from scratch, but she sometimes bought it at the grocery store, as well. It was delicious! There are many recipes for it on line, but I am really not a bread maker. Ingredients include wheat flour, cornmeal and a little molasses. It was a very popular bread a few years ago but haven't had it in years.
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:52 PM   #2
radioman

Default anadama bread

I spent 35 years in the baking industry and never heard of anadama bread! So I looked it up and you are correct it was a familiar term some years ago that referred to what we call now a Specialty Bread. Specialty Breads today are the products of Companies like Arnold and Pepperage Farms.
True French Bread consists of only 4 ingredients: Flour, water, yeast and salt when you embellish the formula with the addition of corn meal, molasses or any thing else you now have a specialty product. As you know, the number of formulas is unlimited.
Take some extra time in the bread isle and read the ingredient declaration, When Pigs Fly products are very special and are very good. Pannara products
out of Concord is another good choice.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 01:30 PM   #3
Resident 2B

This bread was very popular on the North Shore of Massachusetts until about 1970. At that time, the owner of the bakery baking that bread passed away.

Info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anadama_bread

I have not seen it anywhere in years.

R2B
Resident 2B is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resident 2B For This Useful Post:
Redwing (10-10-2015)
Old 10-10-2015, 01:58 PM   #4
Rusty

La Boca in Wolfeboro makes it once in a while. I've bought it there.

Give them a call and ask when they will make it again.

67 Mill St

(603) 569-5595
Old 10-10-2015, 02:06 PM   #5
radioman

Default Anadama Bread

Chickie: If you can find an old recipe for the bread from your mothers cook book
I will show you how to make it.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2015, 05:51 PM   #6
Island Girl

Default Ananda a Bread - yummy

I made it in the 70's. I probably still have the recipe.

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:50 PM   #7
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

One of my favorite breads, Ana Damn her!

Get a bread machine and use the dough cycle, about 90 min. Form a loaf, then put on baking sheet and let rise 45 to 60 min. Bake about 35 min at 375 deg. Let cool a bit, slice, add butter. You won't be disappointed.

Boil 12 oz H2O
Sift in 1/4 cup corn meal, stir short time
Put in bread machine
add 1 tsp salt
1/4 cup molasses
1 1/2 TBSP veg oil
3 1/2 cups flour (King Author)
2 tsp bread machine yeast
4 tsp gluten

Set bread machine for dough cycle, 90 min
Form load
Let rise
Bake
Cool
Eat

It takes a bit of practice to handle the dough and form a loaf. You need flour on your hands and on the pastry sheet. And sprinkle some corn meal on the cooking sheet prior to putting the loaf on to bake.

Maybe one or two trys or so and you will have Ana down pat.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
escaped from NJ (01-24-2016), jerseyonbear (01-31-2016)
Old 10-10-2015, 08:10 PM   #8
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
This bread was very popular on the North Shore of Massachusetts until about 1970. At that time, the owner of the bakery baking that bread passed away.

Info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anadama_bread

I have not seen it anywhere in years.

R2B
My father grew up in Lanesville MA. Each year our visit to his home town included eating Anadama bread.

I had forgotten it until now.

Thanks for the memories!

How about some Swedish cruntzy (sp?).
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 11:23 AM   #9
Donzi Minx

Smile Anadama Bread

Even in the north of Boston area a very popular staple, I remember it well!
The 60's & 70's were just so rich with things my kids will never understand.
Things like Cushman's Bakery, The Fuller Brush man, and milk deliveries right to the front door! All stuff we took for granted at the time, but now look back on with huge nostalgia.
Donzi Minx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Donzi Minx For This Useful Post:
chattypatty (01-26-2016)
Old 10-11-2015, 11:59 AM   #10
Janet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzi Minx View Post
Even in the north of Boston area a very popular staple, I remember it well!
The 60's & 70's were just so rich with things my kids will never understand.
Things like Cushman's Bakery, The Fuller Brush man, and milk deliveries right to the front door! All stuff we took for granted at the time, but now look back on with huge nostalgia.
I use to bake Anadama bread myself back in the 70's. Loved the bread but lost the recipe. Thanks Slickcraft for that recipe.

I remember Cushman's Bakery so well. Also remember the "corn lady" who delivered fresh corn from her car when we vacationed on Pinnacle Park Road in Meredith.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Janet For This Useful Post:
Redwing (10-11-2015)
Old 10-11-2015, 12:48 PM   #11
Chickie

Default Anadama Memories

Thank you for your responses. I have made bread in my younger days but never became an expert bread maker. I found three different recipes in my mother's cookbook for Anadama Bread. It is not a lack of recipes or knowledge preventing me from creating a loaf, but a medical issue which makes it difficult for me to stand for long periods of time preparing it. I don't have a bread machine. The only other option is to find a bakery or store that sells it.

I had to chuckle reading Mom's recipes. One was clipped from a newspaper, another from a brand-name flour company bag and one is in her own handwriting. She had written notations at the bottoms of two of them - the flour company's recipe "No Good", the newspaper one has no comment and the one in her own handwriting reads "Very Good." Apparently it was tried, tested and received her seal of approval. No bread machine - all done by the sweat of her brow. I note that none of her recipes have wheat flour as an ingredient - all are made with white flour only (and cornmeal, of course.) Recipes I found on line have both wheat and white flour (probably revised in recent years.) Although I have made various kinds of bread, I don't recall making Anadama myself. I certainly ate my share, though - warm from the oven, slathered with butter. Wonderful! Wonderful!
Old 10-11-2015, 02:33 PM   #12
radioman

Default Anadama Bread

Chickie: Might I suggest that you start with Slickcrafts formula but cut it in half for your first run. You can eliminate the oil and the gluten as your main ingredient (white flour) has plenty. You will want to combine all these ingredients in a bowel and just sit down at the table and start kneading! Make certain to keep some extra flour available for your hands.
After about 15 minutes you will notice that the dough will become drier and more elastic. If the dough remains wet and sticky simply add a teaspoon of flour and continue.

Slickcrafts description of the rest of the process is spot-on.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:19 PM   #13
salty dog

Hi Chickie. Wow, like others, I had forgotten how much I used to like it. My Grandmother made it; she's been gone for 45 years now so it's been awhile. In my quick research for some for sale here in the North Shore, I didn't find any but came across this website from "Glousta" that might be more than you wanted to know but is interesting...

http://www.gloucestergourmet.com/201...entic-way.html
Mirror Lake's BB (10-11-2015)
Old 10-12-2015, 02:43 PM   #14
Chickie

Default Anadama Bread Website

Salty dog: What a great website - thanks so much for posting the link. Melissa's video presentation on how to proceed in making Anadama Bread is excellent. She makes it look so easy. The history behind it goes back farther than I ever dreamed. It had to be good for people to keep the tradition going for so long. For some reason it has fallen out of favor in recent days, but I think it is high time to revive it. Bring back the Anadama Bakery!

My mother's recipe is very similar to the one Melissa gives on the website. I have a feeling my mother revised the original a bit to suit her own taste. Her recipe is a little lighter on the molasses than Melissa's. She used to brush the loaves with melted butter and sprinkle a little cornmeal on top. She usually made plain loaves, but for special occasions she would form the dough into 14 small balls and put two rows of five each in the bottom of the loaf pan. In the center of those two bottom rows, she would place the last four in a row on top. It made an attractive loaf.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:45 PM   #15
8gv

Here is photographic proof that Anadama Bread exists at the Hannaford's in Gilford!

Happy New Year!

[/URL]
Old 01-01-2016, 10:00 AM   #16
Chickie

Default Anadama how did I miss it?

I shop Hannaford's all the time and can't believe I missed it. I wonder if it is a new item or did I just overlook it? It is on my list for my next shopping trip, as I know what to look for now. I have checked out the Abigail's Bakery website in Weare, NH where it is made. Thanks so much for your investigative skills and photo, 8gv. Will let you know if it meets the standards of the Anadama my mother made.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:00 AM   #17
8gv

I cannot tell a lie...

Wifey found it.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:09 PM   #18
Cobalt 25

8gv,

You mentioned Lanesville, which is a town I have never heard of in MA. Any chance you meant Lanesboro, MA? Because in nearby Williamstown a bakery there (Clarksburg Bakery) made delicious Anadama bread.

Peter
Cobalt 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:16 PM   #19
8gv

Lanesville is a coastal village that is part of the city of Gloucester. It is just to the ESE of Rockport.

I know nothing of bakeries there. When I visited each summer, aunt Bessie was the bakery.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:20 PM   #20
Cobalt 25

OK, 8gv.

It is good to know, thanks to you, that next summer I will check out Hannaford's to get some of that bread!

Peter
Cobalt 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:40 AM   #21
Chickie

Default Anadama bread

To save time looking for it. Is the Anadama in the bakery section or in the bread aisle at Hannaford's?
Old 01-03-2016, 12:44 PM   #22
gillygirl

Default Online store

Abigail's Bakery also has an online store for those far away.

http://www.abigailsbakery.com/

Also from their website:

"Join us Saturdays at Cole's Garden Market from 10am- 2pm, or the Tilton Winter Farmers' Market from 10am-2pm. We always have a wide variety of our breads available, and many options not found in the supermarkets."

Cole's Garden Market is in Concord, according to Google.

Haven't found a list of other retailers where they are located.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:24 PM   #23
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickie View Post
To save time looking for it. Is the Anadama in the bakery section or in the bread aisle at Hannaford's?
As you walk through produce you arrive at some square specialty bread displays. It is at chest level at the 7 o'clock position (facing the rear of the store) on one of the displays on the left side.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:22 PM   #24
onceMeg

Default makes the house smell Wonderful

Got inspired by this thread, and went out and got the cornmeal and other items that my bread machine recipe calls for. Made the anadama bread yesterday, and the lovely aroma still lingers. And yes - it tastes great too! Thanks, everyone.
onceMeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:06 AM   #25
Chickie

Default Quest for Anadama Bread

Glad my post inspired you to do some bread making, onceMeg. There is nothing like the aroma of home-baked bread permeating the kitchen. I found a quickie recipe on line made with baking powder instead of yeast. It cuts down the labor and time it takes to make a loaf, but it is not the same as the old tried and true yeast version.

I picked up a loaf at Hannaford’s last week. Definitely not my mother’s Anadama in either taste or texture. Her's was darker in color and had a bit more molasses, I believe. It is an o.k. substitute but not what I knew as Anadama in days of yore.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chickie For This Useful Post:
onceMeg (01-22-2016)
Old 01-24-2016, 11:48 AM   #26
escaped from NJ

Default Delicious

Made Slickcraft's recipe yesterday (cause it seemed a good thing to do being snowed in) and it was great. I have no other anadama to compare it to but we loved it. I halved the recipe and left out the gluten because I didn't have any in the pantry. Thanks to all on this thread for introducing this to me.
escaped from NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 02:51 PM   #27
Chickie

Default Anadama

Glad you enjoyed the Anadama bread. May we add you to the list of Anadama aficionados? As the recipe originated in New England, it may not have become as well known in other parts of the country. There was a time when most bakeries and supermarkets in the Lakes Region carried it and it was a favorite with many home bakers, as well. At our house, either Anadama bread or brown bread and baked beans were traditional Saturday night fare.