Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2015, 08:49 AM   #1
Tackleman

Default Harmon Absolute 43

I have wanted a pellet stove for quite some time in my basement of my summer home. I purchased the new programable Harmon Absolute 43 pellet stove. It is a very nice stove and simple to use except for the fact that in my mind it is not programable. Yes you can program it 7 days in advance, but your stove will stay on for 7 days burning pellets all the time. It was not designed to be turned off and on when you want it to. I purchased that model because I thought it would be cool to have it set for Friday noon to kick on and be warn in toasty before I get there. This is just an FYI to others that think this stove can do that. It can't. Yes they are working on a wireless sensor and a wifi app but they are not there yet. It is a great stove but not designed yet for what I want it to do.
Tackleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:10 AM   #2
brk-lnt

My Harman Advance has the thermometer thing and you can also make it a "remote" control by hooking a contact across the temp sensor wires.

I just looked up the manual for your model and it looks to be the same basic controller and temp probe setup.

You could essentially convert your stove to have more functionality by selecting the the standard thermostat you want to use and wiring the 'stat to the room temp probe contacts. You'd also need a 24VAC power supply for the thermostat.

If you want to do this I can draw you a wiring diagram, it's fairly simple.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:31 AM   #3
Winnisquamer

One problem I find with the programmable Tstats is the dead band range is to small. The way it was explained to me when I purchased mine was the longer the stove runs the more efficient it is. If your dead band is +-2 degrees then your stove will be turning off and on constantly and with my stove model I would end up with clinkers or partially burnt pellets.

Again it may be different for your stove since we have different models but something to keep in mind. I tried the Nest and a Honeywell Tstat with the Wifi features and eventually went back to the 6$ old style model that works flawlessly. I too wanted to be able to kick the stove on as I walk out of work so when I get home the house is toasty.

Best of luck!
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:19 AM   #4
Blue Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleman View Post
I have wanted a pellet stove for quite some time in my basement of my summer home. I purchased the new programable Harmon Absolute 43 pellet stove. It is a very nice stove and simple to use except for the fact that in my mind it is not programable. Yes you can program it 7 days in advance, but your stove will stay on for 7 days burning pellets all the time. It was not designed to be turned off and on when you want it to. I purchased that model because I thought it would be cool to have it set for Friday noon to kick on and be warn in toasty before I get there. This is just an FYI to others that think this stove can do that. It can't. Yes they are working on a wireless sensor and a wifi app but they are not there yet. It is a great stove but not designed yet for what I want it to do.
Welcome to Harman ownership. If you aren't a member, join Hearth.com and jump on the Pellet Stove forum. There are ltierally hundreds of pellet owners there who may be able to help you. I know that the new Absolute uses a different control interface as compared to the type Harman has used for years. The older style could definitely be accessed via a wireless thermostat and a smartphone to turn it on and off. Not sure about yours though. Doesn't hurt to ask...
http://www.hearth.com/talk/forums/th...uel-stoves.14/

BT
Old 10-26-2015, 12:43 PM   #5
Tackleman

Default Absolute 43

Thanks for all the posts. I actually have five Nests at the summer home and they are working fine. Normally I keep the temp at 50 when we are not there. So even if I put everyday at 50 I would probably run out of pellets before the weekend. If they do come out with an app I guess I will be able to use it then. I will join the pellet stove forum. I'm sure that I will pick up a lot of tips. I do love the one button to turn the stove on.
Tackleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links