Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2021, 06:13 AM   #1
dpg

Default Air Conditioning

Can I please get some recommendations for an air conditioning contractor in the area (Moultonborough.) I'm installing either mini-splits or traditional central air this spring and I'd like to check out my options with some good, reliable contractors. The house already has hot air heat so I believe the groundwork is in place for traditional "central air" but I'll discuss that when I find someone… Thank you!
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 06:33 AM   #2
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Home Energy Products:

https://www.homeenergyproducts.net/
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 06:34 AM   #3
tummyman

Ditto....Home Energy Products ! Fabulous team to work with.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tummyman For This Useful Post:
barndoor (04-02-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 06:49 AM   #4
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

I have used Home Energy and they are good.

I have a home with forced hot air and had the cooling coils and compressor added. The system heat and the air conditioning works fine.

It is certainly not as efficient as a mini-split but the cold air is distributed better throughout the house. That was my concern in this situation. Without putting in multiple heads you have to consider the distribution of the air. Before choosing you need to think about closed doors, bedroom, bathroom with no air from the mini-split.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:16 AM   #5
Little Bear

I’ve been very happy with American Air Systems for service on my mini-splits. I believe they have an office in Moultonborough.

https://www.americanairsystemsinc.com/
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2021, 07:18 AM   #6
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
I have used Home Energy and they are good.

I have a home with forced hot air and had the cooling coils and compressor added. The system heat and the air conditioning works fine.

It is certainly not as efficient as a mini-split but the cold air is distributed better throughout the house. That was my concern in this situation. Without putting in multiple heads you have to consider the distribution of the air. Before choosing you need to think about closed doors, bedroom, bathroom with no air from the mini-split.
We have mini splits in Mass--they need a head in each bedroom
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
TiltonBB (03-24-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 07:26 AM   #7
MeredithMan

Default Lakes Region HVAC

Have been a happy Lakes Region HVAC customer for many years. They take good care of us both in Meredith and Bedford. Knowledgeable, friendly techs and they always handle an emergency call, (not that I've had to make many, but a few over the years), promptly, not in 3 days.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MeredithMan For This Useful Post:
tbonies (03-29-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 07:45 AM   #8
bobkatfly

Default Home Energy Products

Another vote for HEP in Belmont. They installed two Mitsubishi outdoor units and two indoor wall units for me a couple years ago. In and out in less than a day. Very neat installation.
FYI. They will need a 240vac supply to each outdoor unit with a disconnect at the unit. They don't do this. You will need an electrician for that or you could do it yourself if you're able to.

Amherst till the big 66 comes (made it!)
Winter Harbor/Mirror Lake till the big guy comes
bobkatfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:16 AM   #9
dpg

Thanks for the replies some great leads! I'm kind of leaning towards traditional central air only because I'm not sure I want the units hanging on all the walls, although the heat option which I believe the "splits" offer has me curious in them. Also, there may be some future work done such as removing some old paneling in a few rooms and I want to know what that would mean for wall mounted units. I'm (guessing) the house isn't equipped with the wiring required but that's only a guess and the company installing anything will need to tell me that. I've also thought about the more even distribution of air from a central AC unit. I'll discuss all this with whom ever comes out. Thanks!!
Old 03-24-2021, 09:36 AM   #10
WinnisquamZ

One last thing, the noise generated by traditional central air units can be and is a problem for many. Placement is key

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:40 AM   #11
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
One last thing, the noise generated by traditional central air units can be and is a problem for many. Placement is key

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Ah good point thanks!!
Old 03-24-2021, 09:51 AM   #12
DesertDweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear View Post
I’ve been very happy with American Air Systems for service on my mini-splits. I believe they have an office in Moultonborough.

https://www.americanairsystemsinc.com/
We have used American Air as well and they do both Mitsubishi split systems and central air systems so they would be able to quote both.
DesertDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:52 AM   #13
MotorHead

Both Mitsubishi split as well as traditional A/C systems use an outside compressor. Not sure if one is quieter than the other.
MotorHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:57 AM   #14
DesertDweller

The Mitsubishi's are super quiet. With that said, our central air conditioning unit (a Lennox) is in the back corner of our house and I can barely hear it when it comes on/runs. In general, the older units are a lot noisier than the newer ones.
DesertDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DesertDweller For This Useful Post:
dpg (03-24-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 10:29 PM   #15
CowTimes

We installed Mitsubishi mini splits in our house and it was the best money we could have spent. We had (and still have) central a/c on the second floor, and had just a wall unit a/c on the first. We couldn’t do central on the first floor without massive work for ducts. And I was concerned as well about the appearance. But you get used to it and they’re not as bad as you think they will be. When the 2nd floor system goes, we’ll replace that with the mini splits. That’s how much we like them.

They are so much better than central air. They don’t come on and off like the central does—instead just a steady amount of air to maintain the temperature. You don’t even hear them or the outdoor unit at all. And we save probably $1,500 a season on oil heat (after factoring the electricity cost) by using them as our primary heat and only use the oil if it gets really cold, below zero.

I don’t know the dealers up at the lake, but if you do the Mitsubishi, go on the website and find the “diamond dealers” in the area (I think it means they are certified by Mitsubishi). I forget the details, but if their diamond dealers install them, you get a longer warranty, I think it was from 10 to 12 year warranty, so an extra two years.
CowTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 07:00 AM   #16
bobkatfly

Default Mitsubishi vs LG

FYI, LG also makes mini-splits. They are typically less expensive, however, their efficiency ratings fall short compared to Mitsubishi's. Also, their warranties are only 3 year while Mit's are 10.
Anyone using LG's? Are these claims off the mark?

Old 03-26-2021, 07:54 AM   #17
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

You saved $1500 on oil, how much did you normaly spend in a winter on oil?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowTimes View Post
We installed Mitsubishi mini splits in our house and it was the best money we could have spent. We had (and still have) central a/c on the second floor, and had just a wall unit a/c on the first. We couldn’t do central on the first floor without massive work for ducts. And I was concerned as well about the appearance. But you get used to it and they’re not as bad as you think they will be. When the 2nd floor system goes, we’ll replace that with the mini splits. That’s how much we like them.

They are so much better than central air. They don’t come on and off like the central does—instead just a steady amount of air to maintain the temperature. You don’t even hear them or the outdoor unit at all. And we save probably $1,500 a season on oil heat (after factoring the electricity cost) by using them as our primary heat and only use the oil if it gets really cold, below zero.

I don’t know the dealers up at the lake, but if you do the Mitsubishi, go on the website and find the “diamond dealers” in the area (I think it means they are certified by Mitsubishi). I forget the details, but if their diamond dealers install them, you get a longer warranty, I think it was from 10 to 12 year warranty, so an extra two years.
Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Biggd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 10:46 AM   #18
CowTimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
You saved $1500 on oil, how much did you normaly spend in a winter on oil?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
We were paying $500-700/month for oil in winter for the coldest months, and now our electric bill is $100-250 higher than it otherwise would be. That was when oil was $3.50/gallon and we have a decent size house to heat. But even with current oil prices we are saving probably $1,000/year or more.
CowTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CowTimes For This Useful Post:
Biggd (03-26-2021)
Old 03-27-2021, 04:48 PM   #19
RUGMAN

Mitsubishi mini split hands down the most efficient , quiet. We had had for five years no issues, I clean filter in spring and fall , we use all year long for heat and cooling. Have the Kumo cloud wireless control so I can turn on with my cell phone
when I am heading up for the weekend so houses cool or warm when we arrive.
RUGMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RUGMAN For This Useful Post:
ApS (04-25-2021), Biggd (03-28-2021), bobkatfly (03-28-2021)
Old 03-27-2021, 09:17 PM   #20
TheTimeTraveler

Are these Mitsubishi mini splits made by the same company which make the Mitsubishi Automobiles (not that we see many these days) ?
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 09:38 AM   #21
bobkatfly

Default Mitsubishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
Are these Mitsubishi mini splits made by the same company which make the Mitsubishi Automobiles (not that we see many these days) ?
Yes and no. The mini splits fall under the Mitsubishi Electric division and the cars under the Mitsubishi Auto division.
It's an extremely diversified conglomerate organization where the divisions are loosely tied together but operate independently.

See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi