Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-01-2016, 08:33 AM   #1
polarisman14

Default End-Of-Season-Info for 2016

Hello,

I just wanted to see if anyone knew when MP was planning on pulling the buoys for the season this year. According to http://des.nh.gov/media/pr/2016/20160908-drawdown.htm most of the lakes in the state are being drawn down on October 10th.

I know Winnipesaukee doesn't actually draw down and instead actually slows the outflow from the dam around this time every year for maintenance...Does anyone know when that date is? At least the lake level may (theoretically) go back up for a little while for us fall foliage boaters.

When do they pull the buoys? That really determines the end of the season for us inland boaters, so I'm sure plenty of you have the same question...

Thanks!

Matt

To Tow: 2007 Honda Ridgeline RTL
To Float: 1977 MFG Gypsy Star 17 O/B
polarisman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:57 AM   #2
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarisman14 View Post
When do they pull the buoys?
From my experiences they don't, take the navigation buoys out.

However I do not just use the big lake late in the late season. More often than not I see only the lighted buoys or information buoys removed or partially
dismantled.

They are easy targets for vandalism and souvenir hunters once the ice sets in. Not to mention that if they are battery operated they probably need service and over the winter is most sensible time to service them.

I hate to say it but this weekends chill is a signal that the end of the 2016 season is coming to a close, but I'll still fish on occasion right up to ice in.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 12:58 PM   #3
polarisman14

It was my understanding that they removed some of the spar buoys, channel markers etc to keep them from getting damaged by ice floes during the winter. I could be wrong though.

Either way for those of us that don't have a GPS system on our boat the buoys (as confusing as they can be) are our only navigation device (along with a chart, but finding where you are with any amount of accuracy on the fly can be challenging)...If they pull those at any time in the fall then boating after that point can mean loss of a prop, lower unit or worse.

Old 10-01-2016, 02:39 PM   #4
ishoot308

Thanked 4,939 Times in 1,915 Posts

Any and all "FL" markers will be pulled anytime after Columbus Day. There is no set date but usually Marine Patrol puts out a notice to inform island residents and boaters. Other markers are pulled as needed. Not all are pulled but many are due to ice flows or vandalism.

If your not a seasoned boater and very familiar with Winni, extra care must be taken when navigating during the late season, especially this year with the extreme low waters!

There is also very limited emergency personnel on the lake so if something does happen your on your own....at least for a while...

Be safe!

Dan
66WINN (10-09-2016)
Old 10-01-2016, 05:13 PM   #5
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default Yogi

Quote:

finding where you are with any amount of accuracy on the fly can be challenging)...
"If you don't know where you are, you shouldn't be there."
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (10-02-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2016, 06:16 PM   #6
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
How do you ever expect to learn new places if you only go to the places you already know?

Use your head, your eyes and your common sense. When in doubt take it slow. It's not rocket science
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Winnisquamer For This Useful Post:
germangirlvt (10-03-2016), polarisman14 (10-01-2016), Rangervx (10-13-2016)
Old 10-01-2016, 06:51 PM   #7
KPW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamer View Post
How do you ever expect to learn new places if you only go to the places you already know?

Use your head, your eyes and your common sense. When in doubt take it slow. It's not rocket science
There could be a lack of navigational markers.
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 06:56 PM   #8
polarisman14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamer View Post

This guy gets it.

Just wondering when the nav aids that everyone relies on get pulled. Thanks ishoot308, that's what I was after. If you (or anyone else) can post up here when that letter has been received it'd be much appreciated. Additionally, anyone who has info about the dam including how long it'll be slowed down for and how much they expect the lake level to recover while it is at min flow would be great.

The Following User Says Thank You to polarisman14 For This Useful Post:
66WINN (10-09-2016)
Old 10-01-2016, 07:27 PM   #9
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
This guy gets it.

Just wondering when the nav aids that everyone relies on get pulled. Thanks ishoot308, that's what I was after. If you (or anyone else) can post up here when that letter has been received it'd be much appreciated. Additionally, anyone who has info about the dam including how long it'll be slowed down for and how much they expect the lake level to recover while it is at min flow would be great.
The dam at Lakeport has been near min flow +/- a small amount for a while. The lake level will not recover in the near term without substantial rain. The primary loss is evaporation right now. Looks like the only near term long shot is Matthew.
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:44 AM   #10
polarisman14

Aha. That makes sense to me. However, the long range forecast is pretty soggy--at least the lake level should stay where it is, even though it's quite low. Curious to see how this will impact next spring.

I contacted a friend of mine at MP and she says that they do generally pull some buoys on the big lake after columbus day, but that it isn't really a set date. They do hold off on the big lake until last, but I wouldn't expect more than another weekend of boating over the other lakes that draw down (most of which are on Oct 10th this year). Either way, still a couple more weekends to go before tidal water is the only safe place to get out there!

Old 10-03-2016, 01:53 PM   #11
Donzi Minx

Smile End-of-Season-Info for 2016

I had every intention of getting there / being there the last two weekends but our much needed precipitation "dampened" the enthusiasm.

As a graveyard survivor, and as someone who after roughly 40 years of boating on these pristine waters is still acquiring the sage wisdom that you all have up there year round, the low lake levels had got me a little paranoid. My dad wiped out the prop and rudder on the Chris Craft showing what a great Island the old Gurnsey was while he was at Camp Idlewild. "I had no idea there were rocks in that area" said the Havud Grad. Set me up for caution galore early on.

Time to change the "earl and filter" add stabi and head for Dave's. Sadly the end of another season for the only vice that I have left, boating. Good thing is I have all you wonderful folks on a web site that bar none, is the best!
Donzi Minx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:48 PM   #12
Gavia immer

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
"Not all who wander are lost"
Gavia immer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gavia immer For This Useful Post:
Nagigator (10-03-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 07:02 AM   #13
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Warning!

There were three red & white buoys off of 20 mile bay. Marine patrol did not replace the outer most buoy and feel the rock is no longer a hazard. Two boats have lost their skeg hitting a rock last weekend. One was mine. I called the MP and they have no intention of replacing that buoy. So BEWARE!
Old 10-11-2016, 11:07 AM   #14
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Well at least we know it won't be replaced. We wondered what had happened to it and kept looking to see if we were missing it.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:03 PM   #15
Pine Island Guy

Default Going going home!

Looks like most of the flashers and numbers have been taken off the light buoys.

Be extra cautious at night out there!

But what beautiful days we are having on the lake!!! -PIG
Pine Island Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:25 AM   #16
polarisman14

Where is 20 mile bay? I had a friend who lost a chunk of his skeg and his inner prop on his bravo not too long ago--I think he said in Moultonboro area. Not marked, was following all navigation aids including buoys, navionics on the phone and Garmin GPS and it still got him.

Definitely going to be cautious. I'm headed out to Winnisquam this afternoon to play for a little while...Might get a little wet but hey, it's just water. Based on last Saturday, the shallow area is the channel leading to the dock. Everything else on the big side of Mosquito Bridge seems OK.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:53 AM   #17
smith point boater

Default Lights

Looks like most of the flashers and numbers have been taken off the light buoys.

Be extra cautious at night out there!

But what beautiful days we are having on the lake!!! -PIG

Not in the West Alton area (Smith Point) - Still flashing last nite but removing them is probably more than a one day job - inevitable. As you said be careful out there
smith point boater is offline   Reply With Quote