Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2016, 08:30 AM   #1
greeleyhill

Default How do I keep Canada Geese off my property?

We are new to this site and new property owners on the lake. We have a lot of green grass in the yard and found ourselves constantly picking up goose poop last year. Our routine when going up to the house last summer was #1) Water the Flowers #2) Pick up goose poop #3) Cut the grass...how do we eliminate #2??

Are there any words of wisdom from you long timers out there related to Canada Geese and keeping them off your property? I've seen plenty of gimmicks and gadgets on-line but we want to know what works.

Last edited by greeleyhill; 03-19-2016 at 08:50 AM. Reason: typos
greeleyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:54 AM   #2
ITD

Impede their access to the water. I did this with a low garden edge fence along the shore. When we want to use the beach we just fold it up and put it back out when we are done. Roman candles fired over their heads works when they are on the property, but they are smart, will wait for you to leave, and come back.

There are other methods too, most have been discussed here, use the forum search function to find them.
ITD is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
greeleyhill (03-19-2016)
Old 03-19-2016, 08:59 AM   #3
Outdoorsman

You can use a scarecrow. It can be anything from a brightly colored balloon to a replica of a predator that the Canadian goose can see from the sky before it ever comes close to landing in your property. If you get a replica of a coyote for example that the goose can see from the sky, it will discourage a landing. I have even heard of using an owl to keep ducks away from your dock, but I am not sure if that will work on geese.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Outdoorsman For This Useful Post:
greeleyhill (03-19-2016)
Old 03-19-2016, 09:25 AM   #4
PaugusBayFireFighter

I agree with ITD
The only way the goslings can get to my lawn is by walking up the sand through my beach access. I have found putting a net across the beach keeps them off my lawn. The net has two poles which sink into sand or grass easily. When we have company I simply roll the net up.
Attached Images

PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:27 AM   #5
fatlazyless

Default ......cheez-it, here they come!

No doubt a flock of canada geese can be a problem, but just two canada geese, male and female, tending the nest in April and May, can be welcome neighbors. Basically, the female sits on the nest for maybe 6-weeks, while the male hangs around the area keeping his ears and eyes open, and tends to half sleep away the day, off in a nearby spot like a warm, sunny dock. The result can be maybe a total of seven little yellow baby canada geese, also called goslings.

Supposedly, the canada geese couple maintains their relationship for many years, or throughout their lives, or something!?

Canada geese will readily eat www.cheezit.com, original style, for about $3.95 in the large box. Cheez-its will float, and can be thrown just like a frisbee.

Canada geese also will eat cracked corn, available at a hardware store or pet store, which does not float, and requires some type of a feeding bowl set out on a dock or something.

With cheez-its, you just toss them out on the water, and they float.....easy-peasy!

Horse Island, maybe 1/10-acre in size, and close to the south end of Bear Island, has been home in April and May to the same pair of canada geese for the last four years now, and these two just flew in from somewhere on Thursday, two days ago. How do I know these are the same two geese? Well, the larger one has an aluminum band on its' left left with a multi digit number starting with a number 3.

Horse Island is also a stop and look, tree top spot for 2-3 different bald eagles.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 03-21-2016 at 07:31 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2016, 09:39 AM   #6
icg56

Nothing beats a good dog.
Attached Images

icg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to icg56 For This Useful Post:
Billy Bob (03-19-2016), greeleyhill (03-19-2016), laketrout (03-26-2016), Reilly (03-20-2016)
Old 03-19-2016, 09:46 AM   #7
Leoskeys

We tried everything , and eventually do what was mentioned by PBfirefighter and a few others. A line 16 inches off the ground connected by sticks/stakes. When we are outside we take it down. It takes 60 seconds, works awesome!
Leoskeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:49 AM   #8
fatlazyless

Betcha a basset hound does not swim very good with those short legs!
Old 03-19-2016, 09:49 AM   #9
Newbiesaukee

Anytime there are a lot of remedies proposed, it means that there is no simple answer and nothing works all the time.

Basically, if you have waterfront, you want them to go elsewhere and you want to restrict access to your property. I have an advantage that during the season, I am almost always home so I can be viigilant.

First answer is strings of flags such as you see at car dealers ( I got on Amazon). String them up and the Geese will not want to cross the line. They will eventually. I do yell at them and throw stones near but not at them to reinforce the no welcome sign.

A more permanent solution is that I allow all the weeds and blueberry bushes and anything that grows to form a barrier at the water line. For the past 4 years this has worked. I don't have a beach and I have only a narrow dock access. They love my neighbors beach just off of his beautiful lawn.

They tend to go where it is easy for them and you want to make your property a No Fly and, particularly, a No Walk Zone.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:59 AM   #10
radioman

Default How do I keep Canada Geese

I agree with ICG 56. Many years ago we had a female Yorkie who took great pride in scaring all the geese and ducks off docks, lawns and even parks!! She was quite a dog and on several occasions I had to retrieve her by boat!
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:29 AM   #11
wifi

My black lab loves to swim, and also sits on the beach waiting for them.... great sport. Hasn't caught one yet
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:53 AM   #12
nightrider

Default Geese

Low speed "warning" bb's work well. Bear in mind this suggestion in no way advocates killing, hunting or causing permanent damage in any way to these precious poop machines.
nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:10 AM   #13
icg56

Bassett is a great swimmer. She grew up with Newf's and did not know she was not suppose to swim. Can't shake herself dry (towel will do) but loves the water slide on a hot day. The Newfs also help with geese/duck patrol.
Attached Images

icg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to icg56 For This Useful Post:
laketrout (03-26-2016)
Old 03-19-2016, 11:25 AM   #14
Mr. V

Hello, inflatable air dancer!

Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr. V For This Useful Post:
greeleyhill (03-20-2016), ITD (03-19-2016)
Old 03-19-2016, 11:53 AM   #15
sluggo

The best idea I have seen was a golf course style water jet head set up to spray a direct hit on the area the birds hang out. It was set up with a seeing eye so when the birds broke the plane of sight of the eye the water jet would turn on and cycle to cover the area in question for 30 seconds and turn itself off. The only other solution involves mashed potatoes and some greens !
sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:56 AM   #16
Billy Bob

Last season our neighbor spent some good money on 2 of the fake coyotes .
He even followed instruction and moved them every couple days. The birds are smarter then they look and within a few weeks the birds and the coyotes were fast friends ! I think the birds thought the coyote was protecting their young or something.
The also jump the little fences and don't fear the colored metal stuff.

If you figure out a real cure for getting rid of these dirty pests you will be realy rich ! It will be huge ! Like Trump huge !
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Billy Bob For This Useful Post:
greeleyhill (03-20-2016)
Old 03-19-2016, 12:02 PM   #17
Barney Bear

Default Fake Owl - - Fowl idea

Our neighbor on East Bear Island installed a fake owl on his swim raft to discourage ducks from visiting. Over a dozen mergansers often spend the night snoozing with their new fake friend.
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 02:25 PM   #18
dave603

Grape koolaid powder spread were they gather. It supposedly burns their feet.
Not sure how much that would attract ants though, and after any rain it's gone.
dave603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 03:09 PM   #19
rowinghelmet

Is it legal to spray water on them? I'm sure someone could come up with a high power squirt gun with a servo controlled motor and an image recognition camera that could pick them off automatically.
rowinghelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:05 PM   #20
tummyman

You can also string a small line with "bird reflective tape"....get it in the hardware store. A strip about a foot long every foot of the tape and they do to come near the area. Have used this remedy for a while with good success.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tummyman For This Useful Post:
greeleyhill (03-20-2016)
Old 03-19-2016, 05:16 PM   #21
rick35

Default Fight geese with geese

The company I work for has a small pond that sometimes attracts geese. To help counter that they rigged up a loudspeaker that broadcasts angry geese sounds. It works but it had me fooled for a while and I kept looking for the geese.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:16 PM   #22
Flylady

I too found that letting the brush(low blueberry plants) grow along the shore and putting a large size mulch (erosion control ) up to three feet from the shoreline has kept the geese and ducks away. They now frequent my neighbors who prefer to keep a nice manicured lawn. The result is we get to see and hear my neighbor constantly chasing them away! Endless battle. The geese return within minutes once he goes inside. When neighbors leave for the day or longer the geese seem to know and have large lawn gatherings!
Flylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:49 PM   #23
longislander

Red face

Quote:
Last season our neighbor spent some good money on 2 of the fake coyotes
Went through Meredith today, and at the grassy area at Lago, where the waterfall-ed stream comes under Rt.3, into the lake, there were about a dozen Canada geese feeding ... along side the fake coyote put there!
longislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 07:07 PM   #24
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeleyhill View Post
We are new to this site and new property owners on the lake. We have a lot of green grass in the yard and found ourselves constantly picking up goose poop last year. Our routine when going up to the house last summer was #1) Water the Flowers #2) Pick up goose poop #3) Cut the grass...how do we eliminate #2??

Are there any words of wisdom from you long timers out there related to Canada Geese and keeping them off your property? I've seen plenty of gimmicks and gadgets on-line but we want to know what works.
Best answer...get rid of the grass! That is what is attracting them. I have no grass on my waterfront, and no geese problem.

This is NOT coming from an anti-grass guy. I was known to have one of the most anally-retentive lawns in our neighborhood when I lived in suburbia. But they are not natural for the Lakes Region, and when installed, they attract geese.

Loose the lawn, loose the geese. Blueberrybushes, other native plants, and they go away.

Last edited by Merrymeeting; 03-20-2016 at 06:25 AM.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
ApS (03-20-2016), CateP (04-01-2016)
Old 03-19-2016, 08:04 PM   #25
PENIVISA

Heard recently of a way to eliminate Canadian geese permanently
Besides water front property Golf courses, baseball fields, soccer fields, etc. have the same problem were young kids are rolling around in there waste and getting sick. There are lasers that are strong enough that when placed in and around there eyes it irritates them enough to leave. Now different groups might find there way to your property and they will need another dose of the laser. There is usually a queen if you will that is the only one that needs to be lasered and she communicates to the others lets go. After a few treatments they know not to come back.......almost fun to irritate them enough to leave and not irritate you with there disgusting droppings......Good Luck
PENIVISA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:24 PM   #26
garysanfran

Default Remington 870...

Works every time...

Are they good eating?
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:49 AM   #27
tbonies

I send the wife out with a broom to chase them for a couple hours. Works well and keeps the house quiet inside too.
tbonies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tbonies For This Useful Post:
WeFourSki (05-08-2017)
Old 03-20-2016, 07:16 AM   #28
secondcurve

If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times. The only way to solve the problem is to reduce the population. Chasing them from one property to the next isn't a solution. The federal government needs to allow the reduction of the flock. Unfortunately, the current administration isn't capable of running a lemonade stand.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
greeleyhill (03-20-2016), Misty Blue (03-20-2016), Twox48 (03-21-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 07:16 AM   #29
pondboy

I would suggest a very stern talking to accompanied by vigorous finger wagging. If that does not work you might have to get a restraining order.
pondboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:17 AM   #30
nightrider

Default 22 short

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
Works every time...

Are they good eating?
Much quieter.
nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nightrider For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (03-20-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 08:44 AM   #31
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
Works every time...

Are they good eating?
Supposedly great eating, I think people have lost the taste for them though. I've heard a little more gamy and oily than chicken. There should be an open season on them.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:21 PM   #32
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Supposedly great eating, I think people have lost the taste for them though. I've heard a little more gamy and oily than chicken. There should be an open season on them.
How about an open season with the birds going to a state agency who could process them and then feed the homeless? The homeless typically aren't picky eaters. A bounty of say $7.50 a bird would encourage kids to hunt them making sure there would be a steady flow of birds for the homeless. After a couple of years the season could be closed when the population declined to a point where the birds weren't a nuisance to homeowners, golf courses, etc.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:43 PM   #33
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
How about an open season with the birds going to a state agency who could process them and then feed the homeless? The homeless typically aren't picky eaters. A bounty of say $7.50 a bird would encourage kids to hunt them making sure there would be a steady flow of birds for the homeless. After a couple of years the season could be closed when the population declined to a point where the birds weren't a nuisance to homeowners, golf courses, etc.
Excellent idea, scrap those EBT cards and substitute "free geese" !!!
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 01:05 PM   #34
Misty Blue

Default A loony solution...

I may be all wet (Yes, it is a pun) but I have noticed that where there are loons there are no geese.

I maintain a loon habitat for the LPC and I can tall you that while loons look cool and sound cool they are big mean birds. They are very territorial and attack any other critter in their area.

So don't complain about the loon nests in the Lake. They are just outposts for the "geese patrol".

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Misty Blue For This Useful Post:
CateP (04-01-2016), Rattlesnake Gal (03-22-2016), trfour (03-20-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 01:07 PM   #35
Outdoorsman

Quote:
If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times. The only way to solve the problem is to reduce the population. Chasing them from one property to the next isn't a solution. The federal government needs to allow the reduction of the flock. Unfortunately, the current administration isn't capable of running a lemonade stand.
NH has 3 seasons for hunting Canadian Geese. The daily bag limit is 3 with a possession limit of 9. The idea of a .22 short or a Remington 870 (as mentioned above) are both illegal to use when taking waterfowl.

CANADA GEESE
Sept. Season ALL ZONES: Sept. 1 through Sept. 25
Reg. Season NORTHERN ZONE: Oct. 2 through Dec. 10
INLAND & CT. RIVER ZONE*: Oct. 6 through Nov. 5; Nov. 15 through Dec. 23
COASTAL ZONE: Oct. 7 through Oct. 26; Nov. 15 through Jan. 3
Old 03-20-2016, 02:29 PM   #36
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Blue View Post
I may be all wet (Yes, it is a pun) but I have noticed that where there are loons there are no geese.

I maintain a loon habitat for the LPC and I can tall you that while loons look cool and sound cool they are big mean birds. They are very territorial and attack any other critter in their area.

So don't complain about the loon nests in the Lake. They are just outposts for the "geese patrol".

Misty Blue
You are right Misty BUT when our loons take a little swim, the geese move right in!!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:55 PM   #37
mbr

Quote:
Another "never miss an opportunity to blame Obama" nitwit. (Yawn). At least this one isn't illiterate.
mbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:46 AM   #38
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbr View Post
Another "never miss an opportunity to blame Obama" nitwit. (Yawn). At least this one isn't illiterate.
I was referring to the current administration of the federal fish and wildlife division. However, I can understand how you assumed I was speaking of the president.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:09 AM   #39
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
Excellent idea, scrap those EBT cards and substitute "free geese" !!!
If Bernie gets elected.....everyone will have free geese,not just the homeless.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
ronc4424 (03-21-2016), TiltonBB (03-22-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 10:23 AM   #40
Smith Point

My method is to take two small stakes hammer them into the ground, take some old fishing line and wrap them around the stakes about a foot off the ground. The geese FREEK OUT!
No ugly nets or fake coyotes, and to gain access to you swimming area just step over the fishing line.
Smith Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:15 PM   #41
Scott's Yott

fox urine...Lasts quite a while (unless allot of rain)
Scott's Yott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:38 PM   #42
rander7823

Default Try this

My place of business has had a lot of issues with geese near a koi pound. This year they put up a bunch of stakes with cheap aluminum pies tins attached to the top of the stake with a piece of string letting them dangle in the wind. So for now no more geese and it has been a couple of weeks

Last edited by rander7823; 03-22-2016 at 10:37 AM.
rander7823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:49 AM   #43
chipj29

Default Scarecrow

I was having problems with skunks digging up my lawn to get to the grubs. I bought one of these motion-activated sprinklers. And it worked great.
http://www.amazon.com/ScareCrow-Moti.../dp/B000071NUS
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2016, 08:03 AM   #44
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Illegal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post

Canada geese will readily eat www.cheezit.com, original style, for about $3.95 in the large box. Cheez-its will float, and can be thrown just like a frisbee.

Canada geese also will eat cracked corn, available at a hardware store or pet store, which does not float, and requires some type of a feeding bowl set out on a dock or something.

With cheez-its, you just toss them out on the water, and they float.....easy-peasy!
Sorry FLL, feeding water fowl is illegal. Please don't feed ducks or geese!

If you do find a nest, you can treat the eggs to limit the population. Limit Goose Flock Population
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post:
PENIVISA (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 08:40 AM   #45
pondboy

Why is everybody hating on the geese? I would point out that the geese were here first, Humans took over the geese habitat and built big houses with expansive lawns. Maybe the geese are crapping on the lawn to show their disdain for over development of their natural habitat. Yes the proper solution is natural plantings along the shoreline to inhibit access to the lawns and reduce the flow of fertilizers into the waters.

Remember... Geese lives matter!
pondboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pondboy For This Useful Post:
moose tracks (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 09:04 AM   #46
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondboy View Post
Why is everybody hating on the geese? I would point out that the geese were here first, Humans took over the geese habitat and built big houses with expansive lawns. Maybe the geese are crapping on the lawn to show their disdain for over development of their natural habitat. Yes the proper solution is natural plantings along the shoreline to inhibit access to the lawns and reduce the flow of fertilizers into the waters.

Remember... Geese lives matter!
The real problem is that we killed most of their natural predators (and stopped eating geese- for the most part).
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:28 AM   #47
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott's Yott View Post
fox urine...Lasts quite a while (unless allot of rain)
How do you get them to pee in your yard in the right location? I don't see many foxes by the waterfront.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:29 AM   #48
Misty Blue

Default Were they here first?

Pond boy:

I really don't think that the geese were here first. These birds are migratory and in the past have only stopped to "visit" the Lake. In the past 60 odd years that I have observed the Lake I have only recently noticed geese staying and nesting on the Lake.

So what has changed? Geese like grass. I expect that, with the influx of full time homes on the waters edge lawns have been introduced. This gives our feathered friends a reason to squat. And I really mean SQUAT!

So in my opinion this is a relatively new problem and it is a big problem. We spend thousands of dollars removing milfoil to clean up the Lake and to keep property values up. These critters will be the next "invasive species". If we had nipped the milfoil problem in the beginning, we may have saved ourselves a lot of money and environmental damage. I believe that we should take a good hard look at the goose problem before it get's out of hand as we allowed milfoil to do.

Misty Blue.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Misty Blue For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (03-22-2016), CateP (04-01-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 11:35 AM   #49
Bear Islander

Canadian Geese will not stay where they can not takeoff. They can take off in as little as 30 feet but prefer much more. You can use obstacles to break up the yard into smaller pieces. Chairs or benches or whatever, holding up a rope or garden hose should work as a test.

If it works you can consider long term solutions like shrubs or fence.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 11:55 AM   #50
fatlazyless

Default .......cheez-it ...... here they come?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
Sorry FLL, feeding water fowl is illegal. Please don't feed ducks or geese!

If you do find a nest, you can treat the eggs to limit the population. Limit Goose Flock Population
Yes.....well.....and what federal, state, or town law makes it not legal, to feed cheez-its to the same two canada geese that have returned here to Horse Island for their fourth yearly visit, and what is the penalty?

R u gonna call the geese police on me?

It must be the cheesy, salty taste of www.cheezit.com original style......because these two geese, a male-female couple .....have a seemingly bottomless appetite for cheez-its! They really really really like cheez-its, original style, which will float, and can be thrown like a frisbee.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:27 PM   #51
Joebon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Blue View Post
Pond boy:

I really don't think that the geese were here first. These birds are migratory and in the past have only stopped to "visit" the Lake. In the past 60 odd years that I have observed the Lake I have only recently noticed geese staying and nesting on the Lake.

So what has changed? Geese like grass. I expect that, with the influx of full time homes on the waters edge lawns have been introduced. This gives our feathered friends a reason to squat. And I really mean SQUAT!

So in my opinion this is a relatively new problem and it is a big problem. We spend thousands of dollars removing milfoil to clean up the Lake and to keep property values up. These critters will be the next "invasive species". If we had nipped the milfoil problem in the beginning, we may have saved ourselves a lot of money and environmental damage. I believe that we should take a good hard look at the goose problem before it get's out of hand as we allowed milfoil to do.

Misty Blue.

You do realize that the milfoil didn't just appear in the lake. People brought it here. Let's look more at the people problem before it gets out of hand...too late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joebon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:13 PM   #52
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Yes.....well.....and what federal, state, or town law makes it not legal, to feed cheez-its to the same two canada geese that have returned here to Horse Island for their fourth yearly visit, and what is the penalty?

R u gonna call the geese police on me?

It must be the cheesy, salty taste of www.cheezit.com original style......because these two geese, a male-female couple .....have a seemingly bottomless appetite for cheez-its! They really really really like cheez-its, original style, which will float, and can be thrown like a frisbee.
Someone needs to take the cheez-its away from this troll.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Outdoorsman For This Useful Post:
Scott's Yott (03-23-2016), Twox48 (03-23-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 05:58 PM   #53
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
Canadian Geese will not stay where they can not takeoff. They can take off in as little as 30 feet but prefer much more. You can use obstacles to break up the yard into smaller pieces. Chairs or benches or whatever, holding up a rope or garden hose should work as a test.

If it works you can consider long term solutions like shrubs or fence.
That has not been my experience and my property has been subject to the goose droppings for many years. They do not need to take off from my lawn.

After they get through eating the lawn (using what seems like a flow through system) they waddle down to the retaining wall on the lake and jump in. Obstacles on my property will have no influence on their visits. They can and do, walk in from my neighbors.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:58 PM   #54
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
Someone needs to take the cheez-its away from this troll.
Sometimes.. New Members feel they need to assert themselves to gain attention. Since you are new to the forum you may not know that most of the forum members LIKE our FLL in spite of his sometimes quirky comments.. NB

PS: I suggest that YOU are the Troll and an instigator. I have looked at your record.

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...t=20233&page=2

See (Post #34)
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:29 PM   #55
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
Sometimes.. New Members feel they need to assert themselves to gain attention. Since you are new to the forum you may not know that most of the forum members LIKE our FLL in spite of his sometimes quirky comments.. NB
BOZO, though I have been posting on this site for a limited time, I can assure you that I am a very active community member and have been reading this particular forum for about a decade. Call me a "new member" if you choose but, Guaranteed, I am no New Member to this community. I am also familiar with the posting styles of the members of this community.

So to publicly address your post, this new member has NO desire to "assert himself" to gain attention from any forum member....

Hint: What your friend is suggesting is illegal in the State of NH, please do not encourage it.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:35 PM   #56
NoBozo

Quote:
BOZO, though I have been posting on this site for a limited time, I can assure you that I am a very active community member and have been reading this particular forum for about a decade. Call me a "new member" if you choose but, Guaranteed, I am no New Member to this community. I am also familiar with the posting styles of the members of this community.

So to publicly address your post, this new member has NO desire to "assert himself" to gain attention from any forum member....

Hint: What your friend is suggesting is illegal in the State of NH, please do not encourage it.
You gotta LOVE Feisty NEW members. NB
Old 03-23-2016, 05:01 PM   #57
Scott's Yott

Keep feeding them cheesits and all those chemicals and preservatives will kill them off for sure...Case Closed
Old 03-23-2016, 06:29 PM   #58
NoBozo

Quote:
I am also familiar with the posting styles of the members of this community.
ME Too:... I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest that you...
MAY Be ..........Canoe, AKA Scott O.

No offense intended. If this is the case, I found our back and forth a few years ago entertaining because you were so incensed about my suggestion that you had a sign in the lobby of Canoe: "Misbehaved Children will be removed from their parents Custody and SOLD as Slaves"...Or something like that. Cheers. Maybe we can agree to disagree with good humor.. NB
Old 03-23-2016, 07:10 PM   #59
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
ME Too:... I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest that you...
MAY Be ..........Canoe, AKA Scott O.
Tuck your neck back in my friend, I am neither Canoe nor Scott. And for the record, I prefer my Kayak over a Canoe... Those things tip over too easily.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Outdoorsman For This Useful Post:
HellRaZoR004 (03-23-2016), NoBozo (03-23-2016), Salty (03-23-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 10:47 PM   #60
kawishiwi

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
Hello, inflatable air dancer!

Just saw on Fallon a video bit about how "air dancers" are being used on the west coast to keep sea lions off the docks. All the sea lions were piled onto the few docks without the "dancers". I can see it now...a select few use shorline dancers to scoot geese to the neighbors who in turn have to deploy also, eventually resulting in legions of "air dancers" lining the shores all over the lake.
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kawishiwi For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (03-24-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 10:15 AM   #61
fatlazyless

Default ..... Beck's beer?

It's pretty much a surprise how big these geese can be when seen standing up on land ....... and how much one of them can eat......big and always hungry.....and loving cheez-its. Wonder if they like Beck's Saphire beer in the black 18-oz can.....6% alcohol....and one dollar/can at Heath's ....... something tells me that canada geese really like Beck's beer......will have to set out a Beck's in a bowl on the dock and see what happens?

Being canada geese.....they probably prefer Labatt's ...... a genuine Canadian beer ....the real deal from Canada and maybe more suitable to a canada goose!
Old 03-24-2016, 04:05 PM   #62
NoBozo

Quote:
It's pretty much a surprise how big these geese can be when seen standing up on land ....... and how much one of them can eat......big and always hungry.....and loving cheez-its. Wonder if they like Beck's Saphire beer in the black 18-oz can.....6% alcohol....and one dollar/can at Heath's ....... something tells me that canada geese really like Beck's beer......will have to set out a Beck's in a bowl on the dock and see what happens?

Being canada geese.....they probably prefer Labatt's ...... a genuine Canadian beer ....the real deal from Canada and maybe more suitable to a canada goose!
OMG FLL: Beer & Chips for the Canada Geese....You're Killing Me..
NB
Old 03-24-2016, 07:06 PM   #63
ITD

Quote:

They will only drink Dom Perignon accompanied by caviar Less, start saving.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:32 PM   #64
LongshotLombard

Buy a Horse.. He will chase them away.
LongshotLombard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:52 PM   #65
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Buy some of this and spray it all over your lawn... http://smile.amazon.com/Liquid-Ass-M...rds=liquid+ass

Guaranteed to keep geese, pesky neighbors and even family members from stampeding on your finely cultivated lawn-O-plenty!

If you really want a good laugh, read the amazon reviews!! Hilarious!!

Have a great weekend everyone!!

Dan
Old 03-25-2016, 06:21 PM   #66
NoBozo

More often than not, I don't go to a link that someone suggests. Tonight I DID: You gotta look at the first review..of this spray.

This a REAL review from Amazon.

-------------------------
take5.0 out of 5 starsThis spray magically cleaned my house!!!!
By Kay on November 20, 2013
Verified Purchase

This stuff litterally smells like ass. Bad Ass. Horrible Ass. You need to go to the doctor Ass. Tried it out last night on my boyfriend. Here is a summary of my night:

5pm: Boyfriend on laptop in livingroom. He had been there for hours, so I decided it was time for him to get up.

5:05pm: Sprayed Liquid Ass three times on a sweater in the other room, then nonchalantly dropped it in the livingroom, about ten feet away from the boyfriend,

5:06pm: Boyfriend asks if I forgot to turn the bathroom fan on.

5:08pm: Boyfriend comments on how stinky the cats poop is.

5:15pm: Boyfriend, with his shirt covering his nose, scoops all three cat boxes in hopes of eliminating the wretched stench.

5:45pm: Boyfriend goes on a mad hunt, insisting that the cats must have crapped somewhere in the house. By this time, the smell has engulfed the appartment (a small two bedroom.) He picks up every piece of laundry on the floor, throws the bathroom mats in the washing machine and finds a face mask and gloves to put on. (I am a nurse and keep some supplies at home.)

6:25pm: Boyfriend becomes convinced the cats must have stepped in poo and tracked it all over the house. After smelling all four of the cats, he decides the cats must have cleaned themselves by now, At this point, after seeing all of the good this spray had done, I sprayed it thrice more; once in each bedroom and once in the livingroom.

6:30pm: Boyfriend sweeps and mops all of the tiled floors, sprinkles baking soda over the carpet and vacuums the entire place. Durring this time, I make sure my bottle is hidden really well. I can't afford to get caught on this one.

7:30pm: Boyfriend becomes convinced there must be spoiled food somewhere. Hs out the trash and loads the dishwasher

11pm: While finishing up the laundry, Boyfriend discovered the sweater. He decides the cat must have wiped his paws on it and says we need to make an appointment with the vet because the smell is concerning.

I will be using this spray about once a month for the rest of my life. Thank you, Liquid Ass. Thank you.

67 Comments 1,877 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? YES.. NB

THANK YOU 308 for that link.

Last edited by NoBozo; 03-25-2016 at 07:31 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
Sue Doe-Nym (03-27-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 11:41 PM   #67
Mskelt

Default NH Dept of Environmental Services

If you stop in Concord at the DES office they will give you lots of advice and hopefully some mylar tape and scary eyeball balloons (beachballs with reflective tape) that may help. We have been battling the geese for years and have tried everything. The best defense is a low fence of fishing line. Hammer in a post every 10 feet and string heavy fishing line from post to post. The DES folks will explain why this works. I seem to remember that geese do not fly during summer months and can only walk on shore, so the fence really helps. If you can make your property undesirable enough they will not visit. Good Luck!

http://des.nh.gov/organization/commi...ents/bb-53.pdf
Mskelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mskelt For This Useful Post:
CateP (04-01-2016), greeleyhill (03-26-2016), moose tracks (03-26-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 06:39 AM   #68
secondcurve

Default Time is Coming

It is good to see this thread get so much activity. What it tells me is the problem is expanding rapidly. Eventually, the state and/or federal government will be forced to do something as complaints from waterfront property owners will become overwhelming. That is how government works, when a problem gets to crisis level something gets done.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:03 AM   #69
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Build a wall and make them pay for it.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
Barney Bear (03-26-2016), moose tracks (03-26-2016), Newbiesaukee (03-26-2016), WakeboardMom (03-31-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 12:41 PM   #70
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
LOL, they'd pay you green alright.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:27 AM   #71
Scott's Yott

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
How do you get them to pee in your yard in the right location? I don't see many foxes by the waterfront.
You're not looking in the right spot......There are lots of foxes on the beach
The Following User Says Thank You to Scott's Yott For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (03-28-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 07:08 PM   #72
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
No wall is necessary. The problem can be solved by upping the bag limit and expanding the open season for Geese. It is really a pretty simple solution.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
Outdoorsman (03-27-2016), SAB1 (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 07:50 PM   #73
SAB1

Quote:
No wall is necessary. The problem can be solved by upping the bag limit and expanding the open season for Geese. It is really a pretty simple solution.
Couldn't agree more. Relatively low cost also. Let the hunters take care of the problem.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:12 PM   #74
Treerider

Canada Goose breast meat makes some great Chili.....this I know from past experience.....
Treerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:28 AM   #75
TCC

Quote:
The idea of a .22 short or a Remington 870 (as mentioned above) are both illegal to use when taking waterfowl.
Just curious (and frankly too lazy to look it up), but if you can't take waterfowl in NH with a shotgun (Rem 870), then what exactly IS allowed? Rocks & clubs?

I have to admit, this is one of the most hilarious threads I've seen on this forum yet.
TCC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:24 AM   #76
SAB1

I was wondering the same but was guessing that he may have meant out of season?
Old 03-28-2016, 11:29 AM   #77
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott's Yott View Post
You're not looking in the right spot......There are lots of foxes on the beach
Ahh, so then just pour some of the water scooped up from Braun Bay on a Saturday afternoon along the waterfront?
Old 03-28-2016, 01:15 PM   #78
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Just wondering where people would hunt Canadian geese? They congregate on shore front public and private property. On private office parks, golf courses, etc. They eat grass. They eat grass very close to water.
Where would this hunting by private citizens take place?
I'm not a hunter but all the hunting stories I hear about are in the woods, away from public and private dwellings. If geese were crapping in the woods nobody would care. Any place I've ever seen them are places you could never discharge a gun.
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:59 PM   #79
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
Just wondering where people would hunt Canadian geese? They congregate on shore front public and private property. On private office parks, golf courses, etc. They eat grass. They eat grass very close to water.
Where would this hunting by private citizens take place?
I'm not a hunter but all the hunting stories I hear about are in the woods, away from public and private dwellings. If geese were crapping in the woods nobody would care. Any place I've ever seen them are places you could never discharge a gun.
Rivers, cornfields, large bodies of water / swamps and coastal waters. Cornfields along a river would be the best bet...

Dan
secondcurve (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 05:22 PM   #80
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Rivers, cornfields, large bodies of water / swamps and coastal waters. Cornfields along a river would be the best bet...

Dan
Agreed that is where it makes sense to get them. PagusBayFirefighter: I'd avoid shooting them at the lake. The days of being able to hunt ducks and geese on Winnipesakuee are unfortunately long gone.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:09 PM   #81
NoBozo

Canada Geese fly over my house in Rhode Island every spring and fall. They are flying In "V" formations (Hundreds at a time) just like our bombers in Europe during WWII. They "Honk" as they go. I think it has something to do with their breathing as they fly.

There is a book by....Can't remember who wrote it just now..called Chesapeake...where the author describes locals out on boats with small Cannons whacking 100s of geese with One shot as they fly.

This author also wrote similar historical books named : Alaska, Hawaii, and Texas.

Maybe bring that shooting practice back. NB

PS: I think this practice was illegal even back then.

EDIT: Author was James Michener.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:46 PM   #82
Grant

Kill 'em all. Paint their eggs with veggie oil. Chase them away. They will be the end of Winnipesaukee as we've known it. Guaranteed. The state won't do anything, so it's up to you. Broken record here...not gonna say any more.
AC2717 (03-30-2016), SAB1 (03-28-2016), secondcurve (03-28-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 06:38 AM   #83
tis

I agree Grant. A couple of years ago our water tested positive for ecoli and I swear it was the geese.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:46 AM   #84
fatlazyless

Default ....... what......they no like beer?

Well......very much to my surprise.....these two canada geese apparently have no stomach for drinking beer ....they do not like beer!

Thinking I could coax them into drinking beer.....I placed a bowl of beer with a few cheez-its floating in the beer.....on my dock and left it there for them .....all day long....in addition to a small pile of cheez-its on the dock.

And .......lord have mercy.....these two very healthy and large geese.....a male-female pair that have been stopping here for about two months in March, April and May, for four years now......did not eat the cheez-its in the beer.....or drink the beer at all .....much to my surprise.....and did eat all the cheez-its on the dock. They totally love cheez-its, original style in the big $3.95 box.

U-know that elephants just love beer.....but apparently no beer lovers among the canada geese.....a big surprise.....and who knew? So, how's about the eagles......do any of the local bald eagles like beer......it's plain to see that the eagles and the canada geese do not get along at all. I think maybe the eagle tries to scare a canada goose off her sitting on her nest of eggs so the eagle can make fast destroying the geese eggs.....oh well?
Old 03-30-2016, 10:03 AM   #85
Winnisquamer

[QUOTE=fatlazyless;259435]Well......very much to my surprise.....these two canada geese apparently have no stomach for drinking beer ....they do not like beer!

Thinking I could coax them into drinking beer.....I placed a bowl of beer with a few cheez-its floating in the beer.....on my dock and left it there for them .....all day long....in addition to a small pile of cheez-its on the dock.

Sounds like you wasted a perfectly good beer.
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:06 AM   #86
HellRaZoR004

Just what we need, geese all over the place with bud mud. The crap situation just got a whole lot worse.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:25 AM   #87
chasedawg

Default This method works

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeleyhill View Post

Here is how we got rid of Canadian Geese. Lay a large tarp on the ground and put bread or some kind of food that the Geese like in the middle of the tarp. Ask your friends and neighbors to help. When the Geese start coming up onto the tarp get your friends and neighbors slowly surround the outer edges of the large tarp. When all the Geese are in the middle eating the food everyone moves quickly toward the middle of the tarp holding up all the edges and hold the ends high enough to tie a rope around the ends of the tarp. Bingo you have all the Geese in the tarp. It works every time. We caught 10 on our first try. Then we take the Geese out to the country or we knew of a farmer that actually like Geese. Don' ask me why. We gave the Geese to the farmer. He was happy. The Geese were happy and we were happy. True story
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chasedawg For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 10:40 AM   #88
dpg

The farmer likes Geese alright, in a pot.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:55 AM   #89
SAB1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedawg View Post
Here is how we got rid of Canadian Geese. Lay a large tarp on the ground and put bread or some kind of food that the Geese like in the middle of the tarp. Ask your friends and neighbors to help. When the Geese start coming up onto the tarp get your friends and neighbors slowly surround the outer edges of the large tarp. When all the Geese are in the middle eating the food everyone moves quickly toward the middle of the tarp holding up all the edges and hold the ends high enough to tie a rope around the ends of the tarp. Bingo you have all the Geese in the tarp. It works every time. We caught 10 on our first try. Then we take the Geese out to the country or we knew of a farmer that actually like Geese. Don' ask me why. We gave the Geese to the farmer. He was happy. The Geese were happy and we were happy. True story

Careful with this one. I believe you need both Federal and State issued permits to do this.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:13 PM   #90
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default And then the next night

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedawg View Post
And the next night was good old fashioned snipe hunt.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:58 PM   #91
noreast

Maybe we can kill 2 "birds" with 1 stone, How about a cock fighting ring at the weirs with geese? This could be a major draw, and bring in some tax dollars from Massachusetts for Laconia.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to noreast For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 07:36 PM   #92
greeleyhill

Default Thank You!

Thank you to everyone! This thread has far exceeded my expectations as a first time poster. There have been some really helpful ideas and some amazing, original humor - maybe the most entertaining thread I've seen on the site...forget about maybe...definitely!

It sounds like many of us are struggling with the same challenge and there are different solutions with varying degrees of effectiveness. What a great community - you can't put a price tag on it!

Thank you to everyone for your practical advice and unbelievable humor! Clearly no easy answer but if all else fails - we can always kill 'em with laughter!!!.....right?
greeleyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:41 PM   #93
chasedawg

Talking You missed on another most important GOV reg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
Careful with this one. I believe you need both Federal and State issued permits to do this.
Hahaha love this. Make sure you get these permits but also must file a IRS form Pub 225 transferring live stock to Farmers.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:10 PM   #94
secondcurve

Quote:
King Obama commuted 61 lifetime drug sentences today. given this backdrop how much trouble can Chasedawg get in for whacking 10 geese?

Last edited by secondcurve; 03-31-2016 at 04:13 AM.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:22 AM   #95
SAB1

since geese are under controll of the Federal Goverment I wouldn't want to find out. .

Somehow someway they do need to reduced. Hunting is best option but so also would be reducing the nice green lawns at water edge.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:39 AM   #96
secondcurve

Quote:
since geese are under controll of the Federal Goverment I wouldn't want to find out. .

Somehow someway they do need to reduced. Hunting is best option but so also would be reducing the nice green lawns at water edge.
Agreed. However, that isn't going to happen so can we please lengthen the hunting season and increase bag limits? Why do simple problems become so difficult?
Old 03-31-2016, 06:49 AM   #97
tis

I never remember geese being on the lake in the winter until many years ago a kind lady who lived in Back Bay in Wolfeboro started feeding them. That flock grew and grew. I don't know if that is how it started all over the lake but I feel sure that is how they started on the east side of the lake.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:54 AM   #98
chasedawg

Default Geese are in control

Quote:

Oh Which is it? Are the Geese in control of the Federal Govt or do I have it backwards. I guess that is why we have so many goose heads in the Federal Govt. sorry I could resist.
The Following User Says Thank You to chasedawg For This Useful Post:
Sue Doe-Nym (03-31-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 08:50 AM   #99
Onshore

During the September Canada Goose season the daily limit is 5 per day with no more than 15 in possession. So that means you need to get together with some friends and the guy that said he had an awesome goose chili recipe this coming September and have at it. How about a chili cook-off of sorts?
Onshore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Onshore For This Useful Post:
Barney Bear (03-31-2016), Winnisquamer (03-31-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 04:02 PM   #100
Throbbin Rods

Canada geese are excellent table fare. I believe the law states that you can't shoot within 150' of an occupied domicile without owner's permission. Might be a way to make some hunters happy in September and homeowners happy after. Maybe consider permission for a friend or relative that hunts them. I hunt them over all other species.
My .02