Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Outdoor Recreation
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-21-2011, 07:42 AM   #1
Little Bear

Default Ellacoya State Park

I noticed yesterday and today that there is a total of 1 (one) RV at Ellacoya State Park. According to this website, their nightly fee is $42.00 - $47.00:
http://www.reserveamerica.com/campin...&parkId=270021

Also according to this website, they stay open until Columbus Day weekend for camping. I would imagine that the Park is staffed this entire time, and the bath houses are also open for the campers. How can the State justify keeping this park (and presumably others) open, when their operating costs far exceed their revenues during this late season?
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:17 AM   #2
Winnisquamguy

They are waiting for all the leaf peepers before they shut down. State run campgrounds don't have as much overhead as you think, lights are on sensors , no hot water in the bathrooms. I would think they only have one person there at this time of year doing maintenance, and is making no more than$12.00 per hour.I think there operating costs are minimal and will make more than enough in the next couple of weekends. Leaf peeping brings in over a billion dollars to New Hampshire.
Jonas Pilot (09-21-2011), SteveA (09-21-2011)
Old 09-21-2011, 10:41 AM   #3
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

The State makes the largest amount of money over the summer... Unfortunately there is time in the Spring, and fall where, the campgrounds are not used during the week, but fill up on the weekends. What you eventually find out, is that a vast majority of the maintenance, and upkeep is done during these non-peak periods. Tasks like Painting, landscaping changes, infrastructure repairs, etc.

Also as mentioned most of these state run campgrounds are either not attended on a 24/7 basis, or simply have a single person on duty during the non-peak seasons.....
Old 09-21-2011, 10:16 PM   #4
fatlazyless

www.fs.fed.us/r9/white shows 23 different campgrounds in the White Mountain National Forest, costing from 14-20 dollars/night, so that's probably a good alternative to the very pricey Ellacoya for an rv camper looking to save a little money.

There's a much better website that shows all the 23 campgrounds with their 14-20 dollar prices and location, but I cannot get the link to work, so if you google "white mountain national forest campgrounds," it should show up.

Which costs less; paying 14 to 20-dollars to the feds or paying 42 to 47 dollars to the state? Anybody know?

Helloooooooo State of NH!
Old 09-22-2011, 12:22 AM   #5
KPW

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
www.fs.fed.us/r9/white shows 23 different campgrounds in the White Mountain National Forest, costing from 14-20 dollars/night, so that's probably a good alternative to the very pricey Ellacoya for an rv camper looking to save a little money.

There's a much better website that shows all the 23 campgrounds with their 14-20 dollar prices and location, but I cannot get the link to work, so if you google "white mountain national forest campgrounds," it should show up.

Which costs less; paying 14 to 20-dollars to the feds or paying 42 to 47 dollars to the state? Anybody know?

Helloooooooo State of NH!
It is the view tax!
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2011, 06:22 AM   #6
Lakepilot

Many campgrounds, and possibly Ellacoya, use "workkampers". These are folks that pickup the grounds, clean toilets, man the office and other things. They work x hours per week in exchange for a space.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:33 AM   #7
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default FLL compares apples with oranges?

FLL, the campgrounds you list say nothing about electricity, water, and sewer hookups. Perhaps while you are stuck in Waterville Valley, you can check out the campground there and report back to us.
Winnisquamguy (09-22-2011)
Old 09-22-2011, 07:51 AM   #8
Little Bear

Well this morning there are 4 RV's in the park, so that's good news. Probably here for NASCAR. Yesterday afternoon there were at least two State vehicles parked at the Park offices.
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:10 AM   #9
Janet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakepilot View Post
Many campgrounds, and possibly Ellacoya, use "workkampers". These are folks that pickup the grounds, clean toilets, man the office and other things. They work x hours per week in exchange for a space.
Many state parks here in Texas use "Park Hosts". The Park Host does some light maintanence, patrols the grounds etc in exchange for a free camping sight. Most live in the campgrounds year round.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote