Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Outdoor Recreation
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-08-2011, 10:33 AM   #1
AC2717

Default Hiking Questions

Hi All,
Anyone know if the rest areas or the information stop in Rt 3 along Paugus Bay would have trail maps for hiking in the area?? My wife and I woud like to get into hiking and also our 5 year old

Looking to map out some short hikes for now
Old 06-08-2011, 04:57 PM   #2
jmen24

Grab a subscription to Trails.com you can look for listed trails in the area and then print off a Topo Map of the hike. This is a great resource for hiking and biking for almost every trail that is listed on any map in the country.

It is about $80 per year for a subscription or you can have 5 trails in the trial period without paying, but it is worth the subscription cost.

http://www.trails.com/
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:07 PM   #3
Highlander

Hike New England is a great resource for hiking. You can search by area and then read reviews about the hike from people who have done it and posted info about their hike along with photos and trail maps. The lakes region conservation also has a booklet and map of trails at the Castle in the Clouds. There are lots of trails of all ability levels there, we enjoy hiking there and find the area very well marked and maintained.
Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:48 PM   #4
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

The Gilford and/or Alton librarys may have trail maps of the Belknap Range by Dave Roberts. Lots of good local hiking.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #5
trfour

Thumbs up WOW Trail Is A Winni Win...

You could win some money too! http://www.wowtrail.com/

Trail Map; http://www.wowtrail.com/images/stori...d-20100915.pdf

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2011, 07:23 AM   #6
SIKSUKR

Hike New England is a good source that is FREE.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:31 AM   #7
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Dave is an Amazing Resource!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
The Gilford and/or Alton librarys may have trail maps of the Belknap Range by Dave Roberts. Lots of good local hiking.
The Dave Roberts that you mention must be Forum member DCR, who is a prolific poster of very informative pictures in our Gallery. PM him for more information. I haven't met him yet, but via e-mail he has been super nice, friendly and very knowledgeable about history and hiking in the Lakes Region and the surrounding mountains.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:01 AM   #8
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
The Dave Roberts that you mention must be Forum member DCR, who is a prolific poster of very informative pictures in our Gallery. PM him for more information. I haven't met him yet, but via e-mail he has been super nice, friendly and very knowledgeable about history and hiking in the Lakes Region and the surrounding mountains.
He is also an active member of the Belknap Range Conservation Coalition.

http://belknaprange.org/
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:21 PM   #9
jmen24

Hike New England is free and is a good guide for hiking information. But the map that they provide is useless. Being that you cannot print a copy is sized to your liking.

I personally like the options that Trails gives me, all the important info minus all the 17 of us made the trek today, type of fluff and filler (they have that as well, but it is not included in the hike description section). Rocks, dirt, trees, great views and a great time are all standard on all the hikes I have ever been on. Having a map that is large enough to read without a large highlighter line over the trail works better for me.

But yes if you are just looking for some info on the hike it is a good quick stop, but you get what you pay for.

For example: a general elevation gain number is useless unless you are aware of how that gain is, well gained. 1100 feet in gain is not that bad on a 1.5 mile trek, but what you don't know is that it all comes in the last 600 yards and you may need additional equipment (most folks don't read that Advanced, typically means more than a pair of Merrills and walking stick). That type of information is really important when planning an adventure, whether it is just a walk-about or a multi-day.

I should have mentioned that they used to have package rates or single trail rates. $80 is the unlimited rate, coast to coast, border to border.

Anyway, most, if not all trails in this area of the state are more on the mild side and are great fun hikes to get out on. Have a great summer getting out and enjoying the area.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:49 PM   #10
GTO

Default Rattlesnake Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
Hi All,
Anyone know if the rest areas or the information stop in Rt 3 along Paugus Bay would have trail maps for hiking in the area?? My wife and I woud like to get into hiking and also our 5 year old

Looking to map out some short hikes for now
Have you tried hiking Rattlesnake Mountain in Holderness? Did it last weeked. Short hike (about 30 minutes to the top) but the sites are spectacular. A panoramic view of Squam Lake. Pack a lunch and a camera