Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-26-2004, 10:52 AM   #1
JG1222

Question Where Did "The Wave" Go???

Could someone please tell me where "the wave" went? You know, you're in your boat passing a stranger in another boat and for no reason other than you're both participating in an activity that you both enjoy, you give the courtesy wave... And, it it's not just reserved for boaters - I've experienced it on my motorcycle, and friends that own Jeeps (the "real" Jeeps - the Wrangler types) tell me they have it too.

I'm 30 years-old and this is the first summer in a long time that I haven't had a boat on the lake. However, over the last few years I've noticed that little things like "the wave" are slowly disappearing.

I don't even know if this thread will get any replies, because now that I look at it, it was more of a hypothetical question. However, in a time where these niceties are disappearing, I have even more of an appreciation for this forum and the photopost - just a bunch of strangers that share a common enjoyment of Winnipesaukee.

So, in an effort to revive some of these little courtesies, I'm going to continue to wave to other boaters (that is, when I get another boat), wave to other bikes (except during bike week - 'cause man, your arm gets really tired), hold the door open at the Lakeside Deli (even though it might cost me an extra 2 minutes in line), and I'm going to continue to be that guy who offers to hold a bow line for someone who's trying to dock a 38' boat into a 28' space.

I just hope more people do the same.

-J
JG1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 11:24 AM   #2
itchin for fishin

JG,

Have you been watching Citizen's Bank commercials? Keep up your efforts, we do appreciate them.
itchin for fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 11:30 AM   #3
Mee-n-Mac

Thumbs up Used to be a sports car thing too

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG1222
Could someone please tell me where "the wave" went? You know, you're in your boat passing a stranger in another boat and for no reason other than you're both participating in an activity that you both enjoy, you give the courtesy wave... And, it it's not just reserved for boaters - I've experienced it on my motorcycle, and friends that own Jeeps (the "real" Jeeps - the Wrangler types) tell me they have it too.

I'm 30 years-old and this is the first summer in a long time that I haven't had a boat on the lake. However, over the last few years I've noticed that little things like "the wave" are slowly disappearing.

I don't even know if this thread will get any replies, because now that I look at it, it was more of a hypothetical question. However, in a time where these niceties are disappearing, I have even more of an appreciation for this forum and the photopost - just a bunch of strangers that share a common enjoyment of Winnipesaukee.

So, in an effort to revive some of these little courtesies, I'm going to continue to wave to other boaters (that is, when I get another boat), wave to other bikes (except during bike week - 'cause man, your arm gets really tired), hold the door open at the Lakeside Deli (even though it might cost me an extra 2 minutes in line), and I'm going to continue to be that guy who offers to hold a bow line for someone who's trying to dock a 38' boat into a 28' space.

I just hope more people do the same.

-J

If it was a big wave I'm sure it landed on Madrasah's shoreline **

More seriously I know what you mean. We're all so busy running about that I think we've forgotten to sniff the roses. I'm as guilty, if not more so, than the next guy. That said I've given and received waves when out and about on the lake, usually passing in a channel. A diminishing, though not lost, practice. I did have an occasion (not on the lake but in the car) where the wave was mistaken for a 1 finger salute and despite my clarification the person remained unconvinced. I'll opine there are a lot of tense people out there, all looking to make sure nobody "disses" them, and it rubs off in other ways (such as no wave).

Good poetic waxing, well said I'll be looking to toss you a line at the dock

** please take that as intended (honestly), as humor, not as a stab
Old 08-26-2004, 01:51 PM   #4
NightWing

I remember too when people seemed to be friendlier with others who shared their interest, although I always associated the "wave" with the newest enthusiasts. The people I have known that entered the recreational boating population were the first to wave, as it was a way of sharing and showing their happiness with the new boat. As time went on the wave either changed to a nod of acknowledgement or even an informal salute. All this is OK at headway speed encounters and passes by. However, most experienced boaters keep both hands on the helm at higher speeds. This, of course, is prefered, even with adequate distance between the vessels.

Another reason for the decline may be the increase in the number of boats on the water, which requires more concentration on the part of the operator. Also consider that road rage has evolved into water rage and some people would rather keep to themselves, lest a hand movement be mis-interpreted.

Just my thoughts, nothing more.
NightWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 04:09 PM   #5
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Perhaps we are just "holdin' on for dear life" out there...

Actually I see a lot of waving, nodding of the head, a smile directed our way, and try to either be the first or at least reciprocate.

Once underway, in the narrow confines of Alton Bay for instance, it can be tough to wave when someone is looking your way, but I agree with both of you, there just isn't enough. Perhaps if there was more friendliness, there would be more courtesy and less complaints about boating on the lakes.

I guess it all starts with each one of us. (Closest I can come to a wave without using the banana or clinking the beer steins together.)

Hope to see you and wave to you in the near future.

Last edited by upthesaukee; 08-28-2004 at 03:26 PM.
upthesaukee is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2004, 04:12 PM   #6
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default oops

the last smiley was supposed to be a patriot, smiley with a flag and a salute.

Surely didn't want to stick my tongue out at any one (not so blatantly, anyway!!!!!).
upthesaukee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 06:17 PM   #7
madrasahs

Thumbs up It's still around.

When I'm boating in April and May, (prior to Memorial Day), everybody waves. The reality is that the wave between early boaters is a kind of salute -- a bond -- an understanding.

I think it's because the air's cold, the water's very cold, our boats are small, rescue is hours away, and we want to be able to count on one another. It returns every April.
madrasahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 09:24 PM   #8
Island Girl

Default Waving is part of the boating ambiance

I always wave. Most wave back. I remember when I was a teenager and I had to deliver pastries to various bakeries in my boss's little MG. He told me that sports car drivers always wave to other sports car drivers. So I started waving in the boat (since I did not have a little sports car!)

Although most people do wave back many of the fisherpeople are often too deep in thought to notice me waving.

If you are not a waver, try it....

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 08:12 AM   #9
Just Sold

I wave as it is what I have always done but I have noticed that the "older" boaters seem to be the ones that initiate a wave most often today. A lot of the younger people will wave back but will not intiate a wave.

By the way the other thing is boaters who pick up trash and lost items floating on the lake. On Tuesday and Thursday this week I pulled items from the lake. It seems to me that only a few of us will take the time to stop and retreive items floating on the lake.

On Thursday I saw 3 boats pass a large boat bumper near Wolfeboro without stopping. I picked it up if anyone is missing it let me know.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:50 AM   #10
KPW

I have always and will continue to wave to anyone I see. I wave from the sundeck or from the boat. If I think you did not see me, I will wave again. It does get tough on weekends though. I have considered getting a whirligig (sp?) for my sundeck that will always be waving. I pick up anything I find floating in the lake.
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 11:53 AM   #11
Merrymeeting

I believe a big reason that the tradition is dying is related to volume. It used to be that if you were out on the boat, passing another boat was an occasional thing and you noted it by recognizing the other boat with a wave.

With many, many times more boats on the water than 10 years ago, passing another boat is no longer a novelty, and on some days you would need to wave constantly to meet the requirement.

I also remember many years ago that BMW's on American roads were a novelty. They were also one of the only cars with a steering column mounted high-beam switch. A tradition evolved that BMW drivers would flash each other when passing. I don't see it anymore since there are so many BMW's out there now, and many car models have the flash feature.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 12:29 PM   #12
Rolie

The wave is still there. I don't think I've ever failed to get a wave back when I initiated one. And, as often as not, I get a wave first and return one. I don't want to start anything here, but I find the "non-wavers" to be mostly in the go fast boats. Maybe they are just hanging on for dear life!!
Rolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 02:04 PM   #13
Porch Potato

We are trying to get the kids to wave, as dad tends to be too busy navigating. The boys think it is fun, but they do get a little hurt when there is no response. Even the big boats (the Mount, Sophie C, Doris E) don't always have a good turn out of "wavers". It is sad.

Speaking of picking up floaters, my husband picked up 2 life jackets (standard orange) a couple of weeks ago and one of them was rather new. It is too bad that people don't put a name/phone# on their things. Our practice has been to put the stuff on the end of the dock in case anyone comes back looking. So in addition to the floating garbage that we all pick up, you never know what will come floating your way.
Porch Potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 02:45 PM   #14
Wolfeboro Matt

Default Waving... and trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Potato
Even the big boats (the Mount, Sophie C, Doris E) don't always have a good turn out of "wavers". It is sad.
I'm a part-time waver (a lot of time you can tell if the other boater is clearly a non-waver), but I go out of my way to wave to the big boats - there are inevitably little kids on board who get a kick out of waving back. Spread the happiness, right?

On picking up floaters, it always makes me feel good to pick up floating trash. Not because its there, but because I'm doing my little part.
Wolfeboro Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 03:51 PM   #15
Cal

One reason for not waving(which I always do) is the distance between boats. Ones further away ( well over 150') are harder to tell if they are even looking your way. This will , of course , not get a wave back.
Then there's the performance boaters , who almost always wave to one another , since they are such a friendly , easy going , personable bunch
Old 08-27-2004, 09:46 PM   #16
MooseRiverMan

My neighbors have a Captain's Gig and not too long ago they had some Japanese friends out for a ride. At the end of the ride the Japanese couple was impressed with how many peope my neighbors knew on the lake because of all the waving!
Despite this great tale, there is less and less waving on the lake.
MooseRiverMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 08:37 PM   #17
JED

people are in to much of a hurry to wave or notice if someone waved at you.The boats go by each other so quickly that you don't get the chance .
JED is offline   Reply With Quote