Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-12-2007, 12:11 PM   #1
moose tracks

Location: Loudon, Tennessee, foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains
Default Finding Plants for the Water's Edge

I want to do some landscaping by the water’s edge. I am looking for plants that occur near water in their natural habitats. I purchased two books from the University of New Hampshire Cooperative Extension “Landscaping at the Water’s Edge” & “The Best Plants for New Hampshire Gardens and Landscapes”. These books provide an ecological approach to shoreland landscaping and are both very good. I now have an idea on what plants I want to plant, but I am having a difficult time finding them at the local nurseries. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to buy plants suitable for planting at the water’s edge?
Old 08-12-2007, 06:15 PM   #2
ACutAbove

post up the names of them and I can see if I can find them for you. I might be able to help you out.
ACutAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:42 AM   #3
Pineedles

Default Shoreline foliage

I have a suggestion, wild blueberry bushes. We have a number of the high bush variety and presently picking a cup of these delicious is no strain at all.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:10 AM   #4
Lakegeezer

Default Shoreline protection act

With the new shoreline protection act rules coming next April, there is going to be an increased market for plants that help protect the soil and also count towards the permeable land calculation. The way the law was written, only trees count in the calculation, but once implemented, the DES is going to have to come up with additional types of plants that count towards the 80% permeable target. Blueberry bushes are a great example. They soak up water, slow down runoff and don’t get high enough to block most views. A list of other alternatives will be nice to have, but the DES needs to quickly get on board and advise what will be accepted for the waver processes.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:04 PM   #5
moose tracks

Location: Loudon, Tennessee, foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains
Default Shore Line Cover

Hey people, thank you very much for your input! I am going with the advice given to me by Pineedles & Lakegeezer, which suggested I plant wild blueberries. They already grow on islands on our lake and are native to the area. What an idea! – Don’t know how I missed it. Thank you ACutAbove for your input and willingness to help. As I said in other posts, “You people on this forum are the Best”
Old 08-19-2007, 07:28 AM   #6
BBS2

Default going wild

We went with wildflowers in fromt of the cottage this year too. Just one of those shaker cans but the results were great. After some summer observations of butterflys and hummingbirds I'd like to put in some Queen Anne's Lace and Joe Pye Weed. Any ideas where I could get them?
BBS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 08:29 AM   #7
ACutAbove

Another option for the wild flowers is to have the mixture sprayed by someone that does hydroseeding. I have spoke to a few of the guys that do this for a living and they say it works pretty good.
ACutAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:38 AM   #8
CanisLupusArctos

Default blueberries!

I agree with anyone who says to plant blueberries. Some of my favorite childhood memories of summer at the lake are from picking a bucket of blueberries from the canoe first thing in the morning when the water is mirror-smooth, and bringing them inside for Mom to mix in with the pancake batter. YUM!
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:27 PM   #9
Pineedles

Default Blueberry Pancakes Yum

You said it Canis, except I was the klutz on shore that tried to pick blueberries and fell in the smooth as glass lake.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:10 PM   #10
KonaChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACutAbove
Another option for the wild flowers is to have the mixture sprayed by someone that does hydroseeding. I have spoke to a few of the guys that do this for a living and they say it works pretty good.

I'm not too sure I'd do this...you might be introducing an invasive plant species to close to the water's edge. You have to be real careful!
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote