Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-23-2007, 08:27 PM   #1
Belkin

Default Permit by notification for existing seasonal dock

Last year, I purchased a cottage that had a 50 foot by 4 foot seasonal dock. At the end of the year I removed the dock. Am I required to do a permit by notification to put the dock back in the water? Or is it grandfathered since the previous owner had the dock in the water for many years?

Belkin
Belkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:52 PM   #2
ITD

Just put it in, should be covered by the original permit for the dock.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 04:43 AM   #3
RLW

Thumbs up Dock permit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD
Just put it in, should be covered by the original permit for the dock.
Question one should ask, was the old one built with a permit. (This can be checked out) If not then you need to go through the process as there isn't such a thing as being grandfathered with docks. Be careful as someone can turn you in during the building process. (I know personally)
Old 04-24-2007, 07:56 AM   #4
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW
Be careful as someone can turn you in during the building process. (I know personally)
RLW interesting point... now personally I would not turn my neighbors in, however there has been a lot of development in my area of the lake. This of course got me to thinking last summer, about what DES does when someone puts a seasonal dock in with out a permit? If you don't mind as it sounds like you made the mistake, or know someone that did. What kind of penalties where assesed.

Thanks
Old 04-24-2007, 08:03 AM   #5
lakershaker

Default Seasonal dock

If it is a seasonal dock, then you are required to remove it each year. Putting the seasonal dock back in isn't the same as building one, and doesn't require a permit. I'd note however, that a NEW seasonal dock can not be longer than 40' nor wider than 6'. Here is the wetlands bureau checklist

Good luck!
lakershaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2007, 08:19 AM   #6
codeman671

I am assuming this is on Winni? If it is on a smaller body of water the rules may change. Less than 1000 acres of water require a smaller dock, as per the link posted above by lakershaker.

I would check with the registry of deeds to see if a permit had been filed/recorded prior to, due to the 50' length. If you have limited water depth you can apply for a longer length. A boat slip as per the state is 25' of dock from the point the water depth is 3' deep at full lake. If you have 25' or more of dock length to the end at the above water depth you would not qualify for the 50' length. On a permanent dock they stick tight to this, and are concerned with depths when permitting. Been there, done that.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:15 AM   #7
Onshore

It is possible for a seasonal pier to be "grandfathered". Seasonal docking structures that were installed prior to September 4, 1978 are considered to be grandfathered provided they have been maintained in the same size, location, and shape since that date are were not removed for a period of 5 years or more. If you don't believe the structures meets this criteria then looking for a permit with the registry of deeds as codeman suggested. Unfortunately not everyone is diligent about recording their permit when they get it. If you don't find anything at the registry you can also check Wetlands Bureau records directly by going to the wetlands website at www.des.state.nh.us/wetlands and clicking on the "permit query" button. Good luck
Onshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 03:24 PM   #8
ossipeeboater

for most a recorded permint isn't required, if using a PBN it's just a notification you put in a dock that meets the requirement. You can check on the DES site to see if there been a recent permit but it it's an old property it's probably not there.
ossipeeboater is offline   Reply With Quote