Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-13-2006, 11:40 AM   #1
Pat

To minimize damage from mice that may find their way into the cottage what do people do to their beds? Cover with newspaper or plastic? Anything? I will appreciate any advice. Thank you.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 02:37 PM   #2
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Do you generally have a mouse problem

If you as a rule have a problem with mice I would suggest fiquring out how they get in and solve the problem. Because once there in it is hard to protect things when no one is around. This year I found a few points of access that the little buggers where coming in through. Plugged them up and set traps and cought three of them. Now I just need to go back and make sure no more have been caught.

With that said I usually put a few of those electric rodant buzzers in the sockets, cover the beds with plastic, and try to make sure there is absolutely no food source available. But of course with the exception of this year I have never seen a mouse in the cabin.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:29 PM   #3
ITD

Pat,

I would follow LIs advice, get can or two of the expanding foam and fill every nook and cranny where a mouse can get in. Pay particular attention to pipe and wiring penatrations. Seal all paths in to the house. It took me a year and a half to find out where the mice were getting into my house, turns out a plumber drilled two 2 inch holes for two 1/2 inch pipes and left them unsealed. The builder then covered the holes with insulation. I sealed the holes up (along with others I found earlier) and haven't seen a mouse since.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:50 PM   #4
Island Life

If you have an old camp, like ours, it may not be possible to identify the many places that mice can get in. Plastic on the beds is a good idea. We also put mouse poison on top of the mattresses. We bag up all pillows and bedding and make sure those bags are fully sealed. Also, check your dressers. If the bottoms are open, mice may be able to get in and climb up into some of the drawers. If this is the case, remove or bag everything in the drawers or they will nest in your clothes.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:00 PM   #5
Orion

Default plugging holes

We've learned that an easy and very effective way to plug holes where pipes and wires come into the house is to use stainless steel wool. Rodents won't touch it and it's easy to put in. We've had no problems.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2006, 05:44 AM   #6
Island Girl

Default Camp Closing

We put dcon all around. I buy a large roll of plastic which will last several years. The mattresses are covered with this plastic, tucked in. The rest of the bedding goes into plastic sealed bags and the air sucked out with a vacuum cleaner. These are then left on top of the bed.

any food we are leaving is put into a large rubbermaid tub and tightly closed.

In the spring there may be one or two droppings.... nothing like the first year when we did not use dcon.

The plastic is also used to cover the couch and anything on the porch that could get wet.

Spring opening is very easy this way.

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 07:18 PM   #7
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

We sent for a electronic bat/rodent beeper (or whatever) from Northeast Equiptment....as I remember it was $120 or so....Unbelievable.....no mice,bats,squirrels....not even spiders or moths.It is a commercial unit and annoying to listen to....but if you're gone,so what.The little household units don't do very much but the big ones kick rodent butt.
SAMIAM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 08:07 PM   #8
Pat

Default Thanks a million!

This is exactly the information I needed. We are headed up in a week to close up and I feel much more confident thanks to all the advice. We've always had a few mice but last year was the final straw. Piles of acorns hidden everywhere, even under a pillow and on top of the dryer sheets no less! Heart felt thanks. Pat
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:39 AM   #9
chipj29

Default moth balls

I have used moth balls in my shed with good results in keeping the mice away.
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 09:29 AM   #10
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat
To minimize damage from mice that may find their way into the cottage what do people do to their beds? Cover with newspaper or plastic? Anything? I will appreciate any advice. Thank you.
This may do the trick:
http://www.snowsource.com/generalstore_mousetrap.htm

Or, you could leave some soap for them to eat and leave the seat up for them to get a drink. Same result as above, except easier clean-up - just flush.