Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-03-2006, 07:11 AM   #1
feb

Default Meredith Revaluation

Let me be the first to say, "Whoa!!!!". Just received my new assessment, up 90%. I'm concerned about the accuracy of the appraisers though. Mine is a little 1000 sq/ft 50 year old camp and they said I had 1.5 baths. I'm not sure how they missed that. I only have 1 bathroom, and you can see every room when standing in any other room so I don't have a 1/2 bath hiding anyplace. Kind of sloppy if you ask me. I'll appeal just to have that 1/2 bath off but I encourage all of you in Meredith to go on-line and check to see what they think is in your house.
feb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:32 AM   #2
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

Here's the article from the Laconia Citizen

Quote:
As of Wednesday, Fields said that 40 property owners have already requested informal hearings to discuss their property values.
Fields said that while the current values are preliminary, he does not expect the value to change much after the final hearings are completed.
Here's the link to the Vision Appraisal website where you can look up your individual property.

Vision Appraisal

and while we're at it....

The Town of Meredith Website
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:27 AM   #3
fatlazyless

Default .....wonkers!

The new Meredith assessment is definately from the Dept. of Hard-To-Believe. My two-bedroom kozy-kottage went from a $401k to an 801k in one year. I thought that was only possible in the stock market with a stock like rev and not in residential waterfront. Nobody is going to spend that type of money on a tiny 1/4 acre lot with 60' wf and a semi-winterized, 50 year old mongrol cottage with no foundation, no matter how nice the view, duh?

I figure my prop tax will go from $6500. up to 8000., or 1% of the assessment which seems to be the general New Hampshire rule of thumb, one percent.

I also figure I'll join the growing number of pickup trucks out there which sport the bumper sticker, "Ax the View Tax!." See you at the Wal-Mart!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 12:34 PM   #4
jimbob1603

Default Fear Not The Tax Man

I'm in Alton.

Does any one here have any concerns that water front/view property valuations might be perhaps a little on the high side for out-of-staters and, conversly, perhaps a little on the low side for full-time residents?

I can't get this out of my head ever since I visited the town hall and looked up several specific properties (of which I have intimate knowledge, inside & out) of out-of-staters and full-time residents. In summary, based on my limited research, it looks like out-of-staters don't receive the same discount as full-time residents; when it comes to property assessment.

"Everybody pays their fair share. Its just that some are more fair than others."

I'm reasonably sure I"m being paranoid & its all in my head. But I'm still curious if others are suffering from the same malady as I.
jimbob1603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 04:13 PM   #5
jeffk

Default Full time residents home to let the assessor in?

I may simply be that the assessors were able to get in to the full time residents property and therefore get a more accurate review? I know when they did Moultonboro they assessed my unheated porches as living area. I wasn't going to be bothered trying to sync up to let them in so they made a guess. I simply corrected their information and my assessment was lowered.

One thing about not letting the assessors in; they can be wrong in your favor or against your favor. If its in your favor I'll bet not too many people bother to "fix" the error. If its against you, we all squeal pretty loudly.

To be honest, I've never understood the confusion around the assessment process. They should just list the various features of your house and land including the square footage. There are some general evaluations such as the condition of the house. Once the list is done, its feed into a computer with the relevant numbers and out pops the assessment. If the list if correct, the assessment should be too. It seems to me that most of the items on the list are pretty straight forward. A 12 x 12 room is 144 sq feet. How hard is that?

The valuation is not meant to be in lockstep with the retail value of the property although it should be reasonably close. It is more important in comparing similar pieces of property. Again, if the list of features is correct the computer will spit out the right valuation.

I think the most confusion comes in around the magic numbers assigned to things like shorefront value and improvements that evoke a special tax. There's no doubt its more valuable but HOW much more at any given point in time is a real debate. If all shorefront owners are treated alike I guess that's about the best you're going to do.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2006, 03:11 AM   #6
fatlazyless

Default ....Inn at Bay Point!

Maybe this is apples to oranges, comparing the value of my quarter acre waterfront lot to the one acre lot of the Inn at Bay Point. If you go to www.visionappraisal.com, find Meredith, and enter 1 NH Route 25, you get the Inn at Bay Point that is located at the intersection of Routes 25 and 3 at the top of Meredith Bay which is built on a one acre lot.

My quarter acre residential waterfront lot is appraised for about $725,000, and the hotel's commercial one acre lot which has much more water frontage and road frontage at the busy intersection is appraised for $1,035,800. How can that be? Does this seem fair?
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 03:40 PM   #7
fpartri497

Talking merideth appraisals

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless
Maybe this is apples to oranges, comparing the value of my quarter acre waterfront lot to the one acre lot of the Inn at Bay Point. If you go to www.visionappraisal.com, find Meredith, and enter 1 NH Route 25, you get the Inn at Bay Point that is located at the intersection of Routes 25 and 3 at the top of Meredith Bay which is built on a one acre lot.

My quarter acre residential waterfront lot is appraised for about $725,000, and the hotel's commercial one acre lot which has much more water frontage and road frontage at the busy intersection is appraised for $1,035,800. How can that be? Does this seem fair?
FLL how much does Walmart pay?
Old 09-08-2006, 01:07 PM   #8
Gatto Nero

Default Meredith property valuations increase 63 percent

I just came across this article in today's Citizen and I was wondering if somebody smarter than me could help me figure out how the actual tax rate might be estimated in advance.

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...238/-1/CITIZEN

According to the article by Erin Plummer "The town's property values have increased by 63 percent, according to assessors, but that doesn't mean residents will see tax increases......

....The increase in the town's overall valuation may mean tax increases or decreases, depending on the increased value of each property. If a property's value increased by more than 63 percent, Commerford said an increase in taxes can be expected, while properties whose value increased by less than 63 percent or did not increase at all will likely see no change and the rate may even go down."

If what the article says is true, and Meredith doesn't vote to increase taxes, then is it safe to assume we could take the existing tax rate and reduce it by 63% to come up with an approximated new rate?

My last tax bill shows a rate per thousand of 16.26. Using the math above I come up with a new rate of 6.02 (16.26 x .37 = 6.0162), which would then be applied to the newly assed value. I am on the right track here or is this way to simple to be even close?
Old 09-08-2006, 01:50 PM   #9
ossipeeboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatto Nero
I just came across this article in today's Citizen and I was wondering if somebody smarter than me could help me figure out how the actual tax rate might be estimated in advance.

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...238/-1/CITIZEN

According to the article by Erin Plummer "The town's property values have increased by 63 percent, according to assessors, but that doesn't mean residents will see tax increases......

....The increase in the town's overall valuation may mean tax increases or decreases, depending on the increased value of each property. If a property's value increased by more than 63 percent, Commerford said an increase in taxes can be expected, while properties whose value increased by less than 63 percent or did not increase at all will likely see no change and the rate may even go down."

If what the article says is true, and Meredith doesn't vote to increase taxes, then is it safe to assume we could take the existing tax rate and reduce it by 63% to come up with an approximated new rate?

My last tax bill shows a rate per thousand of 16.26. Using the math above I come up with a new rate of 6.02 (16.26 x .37 = 6.0162), which would then be applied to the newly assed value. I am on the right track here or is this way to simple to be even close?

a house that previously was values at 100,000 had a tax bill of $1626. your house value goes up 63% to 163,000 and your taxes remain at $1626 so the effective rate is 10.03.
ossipeeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 02:35 PM   #10
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossipeeboater
a house that previously was values at 100,000 had a tax bill of $1626. your house value goes up 63% to 163,000 and your taxes remain at $1626 so the effective rate is 10.03.
So following that logic if my house only went up 50% to 150,000 then my taxes would go down to $1504, correct?
Old 09-08-2006, 07:50 PM   #11
Puck

on an island...no electricity...no bridge...up 300%...ouch. The assessor's explanation..."all that matters is that you have frontage, all frontage is taxed equal, Island or not."
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:31 PM   #12
Gilligan

Exclamation Defying the laws of physics (or taxation)

Quote:
So following that logic if my house only went up 50% to 150,000 then my taxes would go down to $1504, correct?
Your logic must be faulty. Property taxes NEVER go down !
Old 09-12-2006, 12:13 PM   #13
ossipeeboater

Quote:

that very well may be true that it would slightly decrease if town spending doesn't go up which we all know rarely happens.
ossipeeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:18 AM   #14
Gatto Nero

Default Meredith tax rate drops 34 percent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligan
Your logic must be faulty. Property taxes NEVER go down !
You were right. My logic was faulty. A 63 percent rise in the town's net assessed valuation has resulted in the tax rate dropping around 34 percent. So, big surprise, I'll be paying more this year....again.

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...-1/citizen0103
Old 11-20-2006, 05:51 PM   #15
ladybug

I just read the tax rate in Meredith has been decreased to $10.74 per $1000. It was $16.25.
ladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:29 PM   #16
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug
I just read the tax rate in Meredith has been decreased to $10.74 per $1000. It was $16.25.
Although the rate per 1000 has been decreased, I'll bet there are very few tax bills that have decreased in total tax. The decrease is merely a byproduct of the re-evaluation ~~~ higher property values = lower cost per 1000 to generate the same revenue.