Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-27-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
Happy Gourmand

Default The Tamarack

So much has been written in this forum in the past about what was for years the standard of excellence in the Lakes Region for fried seafood and basically for their entire menu.
We went to a wedding on Saturday and returned to our place in Meredith at just about 8 PM. We were both tired and somewhat hungry and neither of us felt like cooking....so we headed out....my initial destination was Blazin' Bill's...I wish we had kept to that plan.
The Tamarack is just over a mile from the cottage and on an impulse, I turned left into the almost empty parking lot...approximately 8:15 on a Saturday night...I think I should have guessed why we were part of their last "rush" which included 2 other parties.
I ordered a scallop plate, my wife opted for the cheeseburger basket..and we got a small side of onion rings.
The onion rings were pretty good...lightly battered, well cooked and not very greasy or oiley. They lacked a little bit of flavor, but overall, not bad.
The scallops barely get a passing grade, they seemed too small to be sea scallops and were more than likely bay scallops....shame on me for not asking. The batter was on the soggy side and they didn't have a taste of freshness about them. The fries on the bottom of the plate were soggy and totally undercooked...so much so that they literally stuck to the plate. Besides the scallops and fries, on the plate were undistinguishable pieces of overcooked fried "stuff" that was totally disgusting. I think I recognized a piece of a fried clam, and some other overcooked pieces of batter from whatever was cooked previously in the fryolator basket. Pretty disgusting, to say the least.
My wife's cheeseburger was OK..."just OK" according to her, but her fries shared the same characteristics as mine, soggy and undercooked.
As we were eating, we were both obviously very disappointed in the choice we had made about stopping at the Tamarack after we had planned to go elsewhere. She said, "Honey, the next time you want to get something from the Tamarack, how about you don't, and say you did".
Message given, message recieved. We won't be going back.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote