Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2005, 07:42 PM   #1
Just Sold

Post Weirs Beach Drive-In

Check out this link http://www.weirsbeach.net/drivein.html A little history of the Weirs Beach Drive-In with a photo from their opening night in 1949. Also has a breif history of Drive-In's in the US.

Any stories that can be told here from those of you who have gone there in the last few years or in times gone by??? Bet there has to be something!
Old 01-10-2005, 09:37 AM   #2
T.H.E. Binz

Default Sneakin' In

I don't know what the record is, but I remember lying underneath a big canvas tarp with 8 to 10 other boys in the back of a 1949 Ford truck - can't remember what movie we saw, but I'll never forget the thrill of "sneakin' in."
T.H.E. Binz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 07:57 AM   #3
glennsteely

Default when did it close?

reading this I realized it was gone......I am up there every year, at least 3 times, and I never realized that it was no longer there until I read this thread......There is a resturant there now, right? The Lobster trap, I believe......
Old 02-19-2005, 10:07 AM   #4
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Still open

Still open... here's a snippet from their website:
We would Like To Thank All The Visitors To The Drive-In And We Look Forward To Seeing You Again In 2005
Obviously you aren't the "Eagle" eye you thought you were. OOOOOOPS, I shouldn't have said that!!!!
Old 02-19-2005, 11:05 AM   #5
Paugus Bay Resident

Default Here's their web site link

Weirs Beach Drive In
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2005, 07:27 PM   #6
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Growing up in Laconia......I seem to remember a little debauchery.....fogged up windows in the middle of August....don't get me started on the Drive-in.I don't want to get censured by Don
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 10:36 PM   #7
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold
Any stories that can be told here from those of you who have gone there in the last few years or in times gone by??? Bet there has to be something!
Sorry Samiam...Just Sold already had you covered in his initial post as evidenced by the bold faced (my doing)section. Bet you even had some of these hanging from your rear view mirror!!! And I was probably parked next to you on summer weekends.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:49 PM   #8
glennsteely

Default upthesaukee.....good one!

He shoots....He scores.....Eagle eye....I like that.....I really dont recall seeing it this year, but I guess I just wasnt paying attention. This was the first year that we were up with our daughter (skipped the whole 2003 season cause she wasnt quite a year yet, and didnt want to subject her to the 8 hr. ride) We were up 3 times in 2004 for a total of 4 weeks and this time she was almost 2 on the first two trips and we spent her birthday on the Mount Washington on the third. With her at this age, I guess you can understand why I wasnt looking for the drive in (or any other private time with my wife for that matter) But the Eagle comment.....Great!
Attached Images

Old 03-01-2005, 12:38 PM   #9
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Dusk to Dawn

I remember when they use to open from dusk to dawn on the holiday weekends. I use to have a 'hippy' wagon and served beer from a keg out the back.

I use to 'rent' my car out to those who do not have a car. I would park my car in the drive-in so the 'renters' can enjoy the show. (Although I feel they enjoyed each other more.)
I would use the 'rent' money to play pinball in the arcades.

Those were the days.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:18 PM   #10
carguy

Default Boating to the Weirs Drive-in

Back in the late 1950's when we Lake Shore Park teenagers wanted to go to the drive-in, we boated over to the Weirs and tied up alongside a boat house in the Weirs Channel. We then crossed the railroad tracks and "snuck in" the Drive-In coming from behind the screen. There were concrete and wooden constructed benches with speakers down in front near the screen and the kiddie playland. We watched the double feature than navigated our boats with the help of searchlights and flashlights back to Lake Shore Park via the Governor's Island Bridge channel. We did this until we were sixteen years old when we got our drivers licenses and were able to bring a car to the drive-in.
Oh what a fun way to go to the movies. The drive back was often kind of chilly, especially in late August.

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
carguy is offline   Reply With Quote