Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-21-2009, 03:11 PM   #1
Little bear gal

Default Meredith Neck House History??

We are in a home originally built by a gentleman in the 1940's on Meredith Neck. It was relocated by barge to Little Bear Island around 1996. It is obvious it was built with care and we are interested if anyone knows who the builder might be. Any info would be appreciated.
Little bear gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:09 PM   #2
Argie's Wife

Sorry but I don't think you have enough information here to go on...

I'd at least need to know what year you bought your house, if it was on the island and either your name or address to start tracking the deed back.

Meredith doesn't have public searches as an options in Vision (the property appraisal program used for taxes), so you'd need to go through your town's tax collector.

If the house was moved, it's likely there's a newspaper story about it somewhere. Might be worth looking into at your library. Your town's historical society may have information on it - give them a call. If not, they may know of someone who is knowledgeable of the move.

Often builders have marks they leave in a house - usually up in the eves of the house where they write their name and/or date the house was built. (My dad was a builder in the area and used to do this - he also had a book that he had his customers sign and write notes about their house in it. I have that book - it's a trip!) It's not uncommon to come across these marks when you're renovating a house.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:15 PM   #3
Tomt

Little Bear Gal, My wifes family owned the camp in the Hole in the Wall for many years and around 1996 on the property to the left there were several smaller buildings brought over by barge and placed on the property I think they were joined to make one house. The property is just before you enter the Hole in the Wall with Little Bear on the left and Cow on the right. Is this the property you are refering to.
Tomt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:47 AM   #4
dpg

Town hall for permits? Did anybody need to do such a thing in those days??
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:03 PM   #5
Little bear gal

Default Tomt- That's it!!!

Would appreciate any info- we know the barge operater/builder and he doesn't remember the name of the owner that built it.
Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomt View Post
Little Bear Gal, My wifes family owned the camp in the Hole in the Wall for many years and around 1996 on the property to the left there were several smaller buildings brought over by barge and placed on the property I think they were joined to make one house. The property is just before you enter the Hole in the Wall with Little Bear on the left and Cow on the right. Is this the property you are refering to.
Little bear gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2009, 05:59 AM   #6
Tomt

I am sorry I don't have that information. I think DPG is right there must have been permits to move the house, that would give you the location it came from and it would be a start.
Tomt is offline   Reply With Quote