Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #1
CateP

Default Pontoon Outboard Question

We just bought a 20 ft.,1985 Harris Flote Boat (pontoon boat) and it has a Johnson 1985, 2-stroke 70 hp. We also have a 1995 40 hp Mercury 4-stroke from another boat that we are selling, but maybe we should keep the Mercury for the pontoon boat?

What do you think?
Should we use the Mercury or Johnson on the pontoon boat?
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default 20' Pontoon

I think a 20 footer is an awfully lot of 'toonin for a 40 horse!
Old 04-18-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
codeman671

A 40hp is way too small... Period.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
crowsnest

If it has 2 toons and a 40 or 70 horse i would only take out on a nice day DURING THE WEEK or stay in coves. We had a 24 foot 2 toon with a 115 and got swamped to many times we upgraded to a 25 tri toon with a 225 HUGE differance
crowsnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #5
Woodsy

A 1985 70HP 2 stroke is a monstor polluting unreliable headache....

Trade in both outboards on a newer 100HP 4 stroke.....

Problem solved!

Woodsy
BroadHopper (04-18-2013), Rattlesnake Gal (04-26-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
chasedawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
We just bought a 20 ft.,1985 Harris Flote Boat (pontoon boat) and it has a Johnson 1985, 2-stroke 70 hp. We also have a 1995 40 hp Mercury 4-stroke from another boat that we are selling, but maybe we should keep the Mercury for the pontoon boat?

What do you think?
Should we use the Mercury or Johnson on the pontoon boat?
Sorry to say you will not be happy with either engine. I put a new 50 HP Yamaha 4 stroke on a 20 foot pontoon work boat and got it up to 16 MPH WOT. It would not be a good boat to have on Winni. Your sailboat may perform better.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
CateP

We will be "tooning" around Wolfeboro and not making any long trips up the lake. Even so, it sounds like the 70hp would be far better than the 40 hp.

Thanks for the input.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #8
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
A 1985 70HP 2 stroke is a monstor polluting unreliable headache....

Trade in both outboards on a newer 100HP 4 stroke.....

Problem solved!

Woodsy
We may be looking for another engine, but it was not in the budget.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:25 PM   #9
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedawg View Post
Sorry to say you will not be happy with either engine. I put a new 50 HP Yamaha 4 stroke on a 20 foot pontoon work boat and got it up to 16 MPH WOT. It would not be a good boat to have on Winni. Your sailboat may perform better.
Our 25 ft. Catalina is marvelous on Winni. We just found a great deal on a 'toon for mellow fishing and hanging with our doggies. It has a trailer so we may head over to Wentworth or Mirror Lake too.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:09 PM   #10
chasedawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
Our 25 ft. Catalina is marvelous on Winni. We just found a great deal on a 'toon for mellow fishing and hanging with our doggies. It has a trailer so we may head over to Wentworth or Mirror Lake too.
That sounds great. Enjoy your new toy. Are you sailing your Catalina in the races this year?
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:08 AM   #11
Sully

Default Where does one purchase an outboard engine?

I purchased a new 19' pontoon last season with a 50 hp Mercury engine. It seems sufficient, however, when boating a long distance it just seems to move too slow and take too long. To my surprise, I have been told that I would not find a marina on Winni that would sell me a new outboard engine. In other words, once you buy it there is no provision to upgrade to a different new outboard. I've been told that marinas on the lake don't even carry new outboard engines other than those installed on new boats. I have also been told that I would not find a marina on the lake that would sell me a new engine without a new boat. So, here is my question. How do I upgrade to a new 75 to 90 hp engine while trading in my one year old 50 hp Mercury and do so without transacting somewhere other than on Winnipesaukee?
Sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:18 AM   #12
Just Sold

I have seen marinas that sell new outboard motors. Try Irwins (Mercury), Winnisquam Marine (Mercury) and Thurstons (Evenrude), Melvin Village Marina (Honda). I imagine others sell new as well. Just check their web sites.
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Sold For This Useful Post:
Sully (05-04-2013)
Old 04-25-2013, 09:21 AM   #13
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts
Default Huh??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully View Post
I purchased a new 19' pontoon last season with a 50 hp Mercury engine. It seems sufficient, however, when boating a long distance it just seems to move too slow and take too long. To my surprise, I have been told that I would not find a marina on Winni that would sell me a new outboard engine. In other words, once you buy it there is no provision to upgrade to a different new outboard. I've been told that marinas on the lake don't even carry new outboard engines other than those installed on new boats. I have also been told that I would not find a marina on the lake that would sell me a new engine without a new boat. So, here is my question. How do I upgrade to a new 75 to 90 hp engine while trading in my one year old 50 hp Mercury and do so without transacting somewhere other than on Winnipesaukee?
Everything you have been told is NOT true! As a matter of fact I can't think of a marina on the lake that would not sell you a new outboard.

Thurston's, Fay's, Dave's, Irwin's, Sheps, Meredith, Melvin Village, to name just a few would love to have your business I am certain.

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:12 AM   #14
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Winnisquam Marine

They may not be on the big lake, but they are extremely competitive and will service boats on Winnipesaukee. They do a lot of outboard repower.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #15
Billy Bob

Default Trade in

You will find a trade up motor . The issue is going to be you will be in shock when you see what it's going to cost . you will probably get clobbered on the trade value.
Also the financing , floor planning , for dealers is very expensive if its available at all and stocking motors you may not sell this season can kill the margins so you might find in- stock supplies light .

In Florida where the season is year round and we shouldn't have the issue with dealers buying a bunch of financed motors they have to hold over several months till the next selling season you can walk in and get a new motor off the shelf . its also very common to find dealers with brand new - in box motors that are 2 and 3 years old and been returned from northern dealers that overstocked .
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Billy Bob For This Useful Post:
Sully (05-04-2013)
Old 04-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #16
codeman671

A lot of the marinas actually dont stock much for outboards and would have to order so you would be subjected to current lead time. I called around last year looking for one and found that many in the lakes region really dont carry inventory.

Winnisquam however does carry a lot of them, and probably has the highest outboard sales volume in the area. They would certainly sell you one.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
Sully (05-04-2013)
Old 04-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #17
Winnisquamguy

Riveredge Marina on Little Squam is a Honda dealer and they use to have plenty of outboards in stock. I have a Honda 90hp on my pontoon and its great on gas, has plenty of power, and is very quiet. Its also not a gas guzzler.Here is there website. http://www.riveredgemarina.com/
Sully (05-04-2013)
Old 04-25-2013, 07:39 PM   #18
pontoonbarge

Default 3 Cheers for Old Pontoon Boats!

I have a 25' two log pontoon boat -- with an I/O; 120HP. She'll do about 25mph on a glassy lake. Typically I cruise at 8-12mph. Going fast is fun, sure -- but my old pontoonbarge isn't cut out for racing. Slow and steady -- enjoying time on the water! I really don't push the motor very often.

With all the bow furniture out, the bow is high enough that I can handle some chop; but on a strong north / west wind day near the Broads side of Rattlesnake -- it can be intimidating! When the chop is smaller, it's a wonderful marine pickup truck.

I improved it's handling in rough water by taking some stuff out: The old water-logged furniture in the bow added a lot of un-needed weight!! Those couches were really hard to move out, soaked as they were. I changed over to some wooden garden benches, which are very light, and easy to move. A local unfinished furniture store sells them for around $60 ea.

My pontoonbarge hauled out ~170 (60lb) bags of concrete, every bit of material for 160 stairs up the hill, a trolley, a usable camp, deck, dock, shed... and plenty of provisions.... but not all in one trip.

If you already have an outboard in your possession in decent shape - I'd say try it out; no reason you can't change your mind and upgrade to a bigger one later.

I'd also recommend carefully testing the craft in big waves. They can have some surprising response... Soon after getting mine (over 10yrs ago) I stuffed it into a large roller in the fall. Now that the bow is lighter (and the captain is wiser) it makes a big difference. In big waves I go slowly and carefully.

Have fun with your pontoon! Hope to see you out there!
pontoonbarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #19
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Cate,

Despite what many have said here, you will find the the 70 h.p. is plenty of power for the pontoon boat. With the only issue being that you will not be moving at 30 or 40 mph. You should be able to get a nice cruising speed out of it though.

What you may find is that you need to try different props. To find the one that works best.

Now as others have said to avoid issue on rougher days, you will have to work with how to distribute the weight in the boat.

Finally before re powering use the boat with the 70 h.p. on it and decide if it is adequate or not. That way you will know what to look for when you re power. Some thoughts on repowering an older boat... first look at options, if the 70 h.p. is adequate for you needs, Mercury make a big foot option that you can get on I believe a 60 H.P. that will give you more pushing power, as it spins a bigger prop. I had a friend that had a 22 foot pontoon, on Lake Champlain, with a 50 h.p. merc bigfoot, and it was great...
Old 04-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #20
Kamper

I'm with LIforrelaxin. Try it with the current setup before making a decision.

I had a Merc 40 ELPTO on my Starcraft SSC150. That's a 15' tin split console boat. I considered it barely adequate for myself and one passenger. You'll probably sell your older boat faster if it is already rigged with a motor.

Didn't you used to be a blow-boater?
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #21
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
Didn't you used to be a blow-boater?
We now have a 20 ft. pontoon AND a 25ft. sailboat.

When the winds a blowin' we'll be sailing. When the wind is not, we'll be tooning.

Have learned a bit more since posting. The boat is rated for a maximum 75hp. Most of the smaller "toons" I see for sale have 50-75 hp.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #22
JasonG

My family purchased a new 1985 24' Grumman pontoon boat. Was not super fast, but moved. We could put a kid on a tube in the back with no problems.

I may be crazy here, but a few things to consider.

- A 25 year old pontoon boat may have metal fatigue in the transom. Something to look into

- I do not recall that my old pontoon was rated for much more than 70 HP

- Pontoons 25 years ago were not about performance. They cut through the water and were sucky to steer. Looking back the 35 was fine for the boat. I may have missed this, but if the Merc 40 is newer, it may be more than enough.

Why not mount the merc and try it? If it doesnt work, then buy what you want?
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote