Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-25-2004, 04:50 PM   #1
coley

Default Whitefish??

I think, what I caught is a whitefish in Jockey Cove on July 10..Kind of long and thin with a trout like mouth..in about a foot and a half of water from under a dock..black and silver scales..anyone know anything about them or seen them in the lake?
coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 06:32 AM   #2
JohnNH

Coley,

The attached item will take you to a booklet that is on-line at NH Fish & Games web site. The whitefish is defined on page 41. When we catch an unusual fish it's always a challenge to make a proper identification.

Hope this helps.
John/NH
Fishing Guide Booklet
JohnNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 11:59 AM   #3
halclyon
Deceased Member

Default Probably not a Whitefish

Hi,

Unlikely that this was a white fish caught in July in such shallow water, as they are down deeper (where the salmon are) by then. You might have caught a "roach" (Fallfish). Check out FRESHWATER FISH OF NH (on sale at Fish & Game hqs) or my book, ANGLING IN THE SMILE OF THE GREAT SPIRIT -- SIX CENTURIES OF WISDOM FROM THE MASTER ANGLERS OF LAKE WINNIPESAUKEE, now on sale at www.deepwaterspress.com. There are pictures of White fish (locally called "shad") and Roach in both books. I used to catch one or two whitefish (one of the finest eating fish in the Lake) every year while trolling for salmon and lakers, but it has been 8 years since I have caught one. The "old timers" (funny that I should call them old timers at my age!! Ha!) used to catch them through the ice by chumming a hole for several days and then fishing thru the ice with small bits of smelt or meal worms.

Good angling!

Hal Lyon
East Bear Island
halclyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 12:17 PM   #4
halclyon
Deceased Member

Default Angling In The Smile Of The Great Spirit

I want to thank so many of you for buying my book, ANGLING IN THE SMILE OF THE GREAT SPIRIT -- 6 CENTURIES OF WISDOM FROM THE MASTER ANGLERS OF LAKE WINNIPESAUKEE! It has now sold over 2000 copies in the Lakes Region since it came out 3 months ago -- far exceeding my expectations!

Good angling!

Hal Lyon
East Bear Island
Attached Images

Last edited by webmaster; 08-15-2004 at 05:11 PM. Reason: removed advertisement
halclyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 03:59 PM   #5
csuhockey3

I LOVE the book. It's a blast to read, although it is also torture because I am ~2,000 miles away. Thanks for such a neat book. Will you ever have a signing somewhere (if you have not already)? Thanks again!
Old 02-14-2005, 06:46 AM   #6
glennsteely

Default I have had an experience with what I think was round whitefish.....

End of June, I was on my neighbor's dock when I was about 14 or 15, in Sachem's cove (20 years ago) when a school of fish came by top feeding, I mean 30 or 40 fish eating something off the top of the water....one splash after another.....I had a rod set up leaning on a rock with a popper on it and I grabbed it and got it in the water and landed one of these top feeders, it was about 12-13 inches long, silver, with a soft looking mouth, no noticable teeth. I had never seen one before so I took it in to my grandfather and he said it was a shad. It was very exciting, seeing them on the surface like that. I fished and waited all day to try for another one, with no luck......I was on the same dock at about 9:30 that same night, getting eaten alive by bugs with my grandmother calling me to come in, fishing a jitterbug in the moonlight when I heard the "THUNKgooosh" I set the hook and landed one that was 18 1/2 inches long and I must add, very good eating, pan fried with bacon. That summer I caught a few more of them, all in the 8 to 14 inch range but I have never caught one since. The following summer I discovered white perch and fished the cove clean of them. When I was younger, I always ate what I caught, now it is all catch and release at Winnipesaukee......
Old 02-24-2005, 01:00 PM   #7
Grady223

Default Book

Hal, Just ordered your book (hard cover), look forward to getting it. It will be a nice addition to our library at the Lake. I parrot csuhockey3 - will you be having a signing?
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote