Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-06-2009, 03:25 AM   #1
DENNISJ

Default winni

just wondering if any body can give me some info on the smallmouth bass on the lake I have been going up there now for 4 years and seem to do well my question is are the smallies on there beds yet . I am hoping we hit them just right this year . any info would be great thanks Dennis from Mass
DENNISJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:32 AM   #2
Grant

From past experience, I'd say it's still a little early & cold for them to be on the beds yet. Then again, I've seen them on them as early as the first week in May, just a few weeks after ice-out. One old sage I know once noted that they really hit the beds when the water approaches 60F. Who knows. Just make sure not to hit 'em too hard while they're on the beds, as the scavengers move in and gobble up the eggs/fry pretty quickly, and an injured fish is no good at minding the nest. Better off waiting 'til they move off the beds and resume normal feeding patterns -- not when they're simply attacking anything that approaches the bed out of instinct.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:29 PM   #3
DENNISJ

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
From past experience, I'd say it's still a little early & cold for them to be on the beds yet. Then again, I've seen them on them as early as the first week in May, just a few weeks after ice-out. One old sage I know once noted that they really hit the beds when the water approaches 60F. Who knows. Just make sure not to hit 'em too hard while they're on the beds, as the scavengers move in and gobble up the eggs/fry pretty quickly, and an injured fish is no good at minding the nest. Better off waiting 'til they move off the beds and resume normal feeding patterns -- not when they're simply attacking anything that approaches the bed out of instinct.
Thanks Grant for input I always go up there in late may if I see them on beds I try do leave them alone as you said it can really put a hurting on them during this stage I will search for the largemouths if need be

Last edited by DENNISJ; 05-08-2009 at 12:57 PM.
DENNISJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:37 AM   #4
Arubaman

Default Bass

60 is the right water temp. also they spawn with the full moon.

Year Month Day Time Day of week
2009 Jan 11 03:28 Sun
2009 Feb 9 14:51 Mon
2009 Mar 11 02:40 Wed
2009 Apr 9 14:58 Thu
2009 May 9 04:03 Sat
2009 Jun 7 18:13 Sun
2009 Jul 7 09:23 Tue
2009 Aug 6 00:57 Thu
2009 Sep 4 16:05 Fri
2009 Oct 4 06:11 Sun
2009 Nov 2 19:15 Mon
2009 Dec 2 07:33 Wed
2009 Dec 31 19:15 Thu
Arubaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:24 PM   #5
murph

Still a little early. The water is still kind of cold. I agree though, try to stay off them if they are in the nests, that way we can enjoy the fishing for the next 5 months and years to come, instead of catching the same fish over and over for a couple hours ruining the spawn.
murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2009, 08:22 PM   #6
Orion

Default I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph View Post
Still a little early. The water is still kind of cold. I agree though, try to stay off them if they are in the nests, that way we can enjoy the fishing for the next 5 months and years to come, instead of catching the same fish over and over for a couple hours ruining the spawn.

I wish every bass fisherman would heed this, but we live in a cove and know where every bass nest is as EVERY fisherman that comes by hits each nest. These poor fish get caught many times over and the sunfish are there to scoop up the young while they're jerked off the nests.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:10 AM   #7
woodswalk

Yeah, stay away from the beds.
Besides you look rediculous when you catch a the same fish 15 others have caught within the past few hours holding it up acting like you're the first one.
Really getting sick of seeing nice fish with their lips half ripped off when diving.
Wasn't there discussion a while back about closing the season while they're on their beds? I know no live bait can be used, but let's face it, they're only guarding their bed and will hit anything. All they're trying to do is get something away from their bed. If no hook is set, you would see that 9 times out of ten, they just move it and spit it out away from the bed.
woodswalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:40 PM   #8
secondcurve

How long do they stay on their beds?
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote