Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Diving Winnipesaukee
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2018, 03:25 PM   #1
fatlazyless

Arrow Learn to ice dive

Learn to ice dive, Saturday and Sunday, February 3rd and 4th, in Meredith Bay, just out beyond the Meredith town docks, in the icy cold water underneath the ice.

Held same time as annual Pond Hockey event, and very close to Pond Hockey games so's while the hockey gets played on top of the ice, the ice divers go below the ice ...... how's about that!

http://www.concordmonitor.com/Announ...aster-14998754 has it incorrectly headlined under Laconia as opposed to Meredith, while Meredith is the correct location. Come on Concord Monitor, let's get it correct!

For more info from the divers running this ice dive plus an article in the LaDaSun, google: 'Meredith Bay NH, ice diving, Feb 3, 2018.'

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-26-2018 at 06:36 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:29 PM   #2
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Learn to ice dive, Saturday and Sunday, February 3rd and 4th, in Meredith Bay, just out beyond the Meredith town docks, in the icy cold water underneath the ice.

Held same time as annual Pond Hockey event, and very close to Pond Hockey games so's while the hockey gets played on top of the ice, the ice divers go below the ice ...... how's about that!

http://www.concordmonitor.com/Announ...aster-14998754 has it incorrectly headlined under Laconia as opposed to Meredith, while Meredith is the correct location. Come on Concord Monitor, let's get it correct!

For more info from the divers running this ice dive plus an article in the LaDaSun, google: 'Meredith Bay NH, ice diving, Feb 3, 2018.'
Don’t forget your noodle!
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:20 AM   #3
fatlazyless

I'm not a scuba diver, but I am a strong swimmer, and wearing a noodle belt seems like it would be a no-go for scuba diving. Don't divers wear a 16-lb weight belt with eight 2-lb weights and an uninflated snorkel vest which is a small pfd that fits around your neck, plus an inflated scuba tank has negative buoyancy, too.

Maybe the goal is to achieve maybe 4-lbs of negative buoyancy, what with every inhalation increasing one's chest-lung buoyancy, to be dive ready?
Old 01-30-2018, 04:22 PM   #4
Rich

With a wet suit on, I've worn between 25 and 30 pounds of pure lead to make me neutrally buoyant. I don't ice dive, so I'm not sure if the amount of weight would be different when using a dry suit vs a wet suit.

The idea is to be neutral with half a lung's volume. This way you can control your buoyancy with your breath (sort of like a fish). Of course, the BCD is also used to compensate for depth, and other things, and provide a safety factor if you need it.

Take a SCUBA certification class, why not enjoy under the lake as much as you do the top of it?
Old 01-30-2018, 07:22 PM   #5
fatlazyless

I have a drysuit. I got a low priced drysuit in November from www.mythicdrysuits.com which are made in Rockport, Maine for paddling a sup paddle board on water below 60-degrees or so. It is a very well made, quality drysuit, and I have used it with just a bathing suit, and with long underwear, used with a Mae West style inflatable pfd. It works good to increase personal safety for paddle boarding.

Think I'll stick with surface diving with a mask, snorkel, and fins and let others enjoy the scuba depths. In Lake Winnipesaukee there's nothing down there but a lot of rocks, and no big sunshine water view. I kinda like that sunshine and a drysuit definitely keeps you from getting sunburned, plus it gets used for sailing too.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:36 AM   #6
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
... In Lake Winnipesaukee there's nothing down there but a lot of rocks, and no big sunshine water view. ...
So, so wrong. Just look at some of the videos linked from this site. Can't wait to get back under the surface of the Big Lake.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:51 AM   #7
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
So, so wrong. Just look at some of the videos linked from this site. Can't wait to get back under the surface of the Big Lake.
Don't worry, NO ONE ever listens to any posts made by FLL

I remember my first roll of underwater photos and showing friends the results. (Yes it was back when we used film and had to wait a few days for the results).

My friends were all saying "wow, I didn't know you went on a dive vacation, where were these photos taken, look at all the bright colors!

They were surprised to learn the photos were from a dive at Nubble Light in Maine, the week before, and it was a NIGHT dive to boot!

People that don't dive usually have no clue as to what they are missing. Before I started diving, I had the same thoughts about diving in New England, now I know better.