Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2021, 09:28 AM   #1
mswlogo

Default A must have toy on lake front property Image stabilized binoculars

I invested many years ago in a pair of high end Nikon 8x42 binoculars and we used them ALL the time. I still have them. They are waterproof and lifetime guaranteed. They were not cheap either, around $1000 almost 20 years ago.

I decided to take it up a notch and get a pair with image stabilization. I tried almost every model Canon makes and settled on these.

This has to be one of my best purchases for the lake.

From checking out the loons to seeing if someone might be in trouble on the water.

Yes, they are expensive. I got them for $1100.00 on Amazon.

Note that these are really made for LAND use. They have 1 degree of correction.

They do make them for boats too, by fuji, that have 6 degrees of correction. So you can be bouncing around on the boat while still being locked on your target.

Every visitor that tries them are blown away.

They are fun for casual astronomy too.

In case link dies they are Canon 10x42 L IS Binoculars and they are also waterproof.
Crappy 1 year warranty though, very common complaint because most good binoculars have very long or lifetime warranties and they are NOT cheap to get repaired either.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/p...0-x-42-l-is-wp

Just to give you a sense of how good they are. You can see Cardigan Mtn in this picture to give you sense of distance (about 10 miles away). It's the tallest peak and just behind the trees obscuring it some.
There is a fire tower on the Mtn. I can tell if people are standing near the tower with them (just black silhouettes). Only with IS enabled. Pretty incredible for 10x.

As magnification goes up, they are harder to hold steady. Having IS essentially doubles the range because the image is rock steady.

Last edited by mswlogo; 06-09-2021 at 10:53 AM.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mswlogo For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (06-09-2021), jeffk (06-10-2021), LakeTimes (06-21-2021), Newbiesaukee (06-09-2021), trfour (06-09-2021)
Old 06-19-2021, 06:05 AM   #2
ApS

Lightbulb Image Stabilization = IS

'Wondering when I first heard of these (IS) since decades ago, a neighbor demonstrated a Canon camera with IS.

BoatUS conducted a test of several 20 years ago, in 2001:

https://www.boatus.org/findings/35/

I "get by" with my $85 long-reach 15x70 Celestron Skymasters. Rest elbows against one's chest, hold the binoculars with hands in a diagonal posture--left hand forward--right hand back, and it's not so bad.

I recall they were manufactured in Singapore or some such island nation. eBay has some great prices on these...

Drop them, and you're not out a lot of money.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 11:00 PM   #3
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
'Wondering when I first heard of these (IS) since decades ago, a neighbor demonstrated a Canon camera with IS.

I "get by" with my $85 long-reach 15x70 Celestron Skymasters. Rest elbows against one's chest, hold the binoculars with hands in a diagonal posture--left hand forward--right hand back, and it's not so bad.

I recall they were manufactured in Singapore or some such island nation. eBay has some great prices on these...

You forgot, don't breathe.
Old 06-20-2021, 08:52 AM   #4
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default Funny?

Eight, maybe ten years ago, I received an offer to buy a nice Cannon handheld, with ALL the extras, at what then was an incredible price.
Turned out the camera didn't have IS, and that was the feature that actually made this model obsolete!
I already had a similar camera so I never even used this "new one"- still in the box!
Sucker!!!
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 09:10 AM   #5
Newbiesaukee

I had Canon stabilized binocs a number of years ago. Loved it…BUT at some point the entire apparatus became sticky and gummy and almost unusable. A quick review on Amazon reveals it still is a problem with no fix from Canon.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2021, 06:19 AM   #6
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
I had Canon stabilized binocs a number of years ago. Loved it…BUT at some point the entire apparatus became sticky and gummy and almost unusable. A quick review on Amazon reveals it still is a problem with no fix from Canon.
Yeah, I’ve seen that issue. Not sure it’s still a problem on current shipments or on all models. Lot’s of people don’t run into it for some reason.
Old 06-22-2021, 07:58 AM   #7
Pricestavern

Default IS Weight an issue

One other thing to keep in mind is that the image stabilization mechanism adds extra weight to the binoculars. This may be fine in short bursts but if you are holding them for any length of time, you will feel it in your wrists and shoulders. They are bulkier, too.
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 08:55 PM   #8
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricestavern View Post
One other thing to keep in mind is that the image stabilization mechanism adds extra weight to the binoculars. This may be fine in short bursts but if you are holding them for any length of time, you will feel it in your wrists and shoulders. They are bulkier, too.
I have both. But I always go for the IS ones now.

I love when people have negative comments on something they have obviously zero experience with.

There are probably 20 parameters that make a good binocular, weight is one. Canon also makes some very lightweight IS ones as well but they made other trade offs that take away from what you actually see.

Here is a typical review taken from B&H Photo.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...P.html/reviews

This is not my review below but I very much agree with it. When you look out on the water it feels like you just jumped in someone else's boat and going along for the ride. Or feel like your right next to that loon. They are worth every penny and pound. You can get a "good look" with steady hands on 8x-12x. But you will NOT get this look. When you look up at the sky at night with IS off. You see nothing. Turn on IS and suddenly things pop out of no where. Because the light wasn't persisted in the same spot long enough to see it when hand held. Pretty relaxing lying back in the hammock looking straight up at night. Easier than a tripod.

Quote:
I own or have glassed with most of the Alpha offerings in the binocular world marketplace. Currently, I have several high end porros and top end roofs that offer superb FOV's with accurate color, detailed resolution, visual stereopsis and great build quality. They bring visual enjoyment of the world when I venture on bird or wildlife excursions. I use 7X to 12X optics (depending on venue) and prided myself on hand holding a steady image when using 10X to 12X binos. My past positive experiences using the Canon DSLR IS L-Glass lenses always intrigued me and spiked my interest to try the Canon IS offerings in binoculars. After reading great reviews all over the net, I ordered the 10x42L IS WP from B&H to begin my comparative evaluations. I already understood the possible issues and positive features that the 10x42L was known for. Things like their bulkiness, heft, slow focus speed, lack of high-end ergonomics, quirky accessories and a short, non-transferable warranty period turn many off to the concept of these great optics. However IMHO, any of these possible turnoffs melted away as soon as I engaged their Image Stabilization Prowess...AMAZING! I typically don't use any type of stabilization assist (mono, bi or tri pods) with binoculars and while Hand Holding the 10x42L with image stabilization Engaged (convenient), I can view a Superb, Sharp and detailed point of interest as if I had my top end alpha pair on a tri-pod (inconvenient)!! The 10X42L possess excellent optics (very close to my 10x50 SV's) and with their IS feature turned on, the marked increase in Details, Resolution and Clarity of FOV makes even my glassing steady hands Obsolete. Great Optics, Solid Build, Quality accessories, Quick and Very effective IS function and as a Porro II design, wonderful 3D viewing. Battery life using fresh Lithium's is superb (15 hrs of continuous IS use & charge still at 1.74V)! These unconventional binos now have a permanent place in my excursion outdoor back pack!
Old 06-23-2021, 07:42 AM   #9
Pricestavern

Default A weighty issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
I have both. But I always go for the IS ones now.

I love when people have negative comments on something they have obviously zero experience with.

There are probably 20 parameters that make a good binocular, weight is one.
Not sure how what I said can be construed as a 'negative' comment. It is simply a consideration. The IS device adds weight. It is something, amongst the '20 parameters' that must be considered. Nothing 'obvious' here about my experience, so keep that bit to yourself, please.
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:40 PM   #10
ApS

Smile "The Pleiades", or "Seven Sisters"...

I've since learned the $85 Celestron Skymaster binoculars are made in the USA.

(San Francisco, but close enough).

A different neighbor demonstrated his IS binoculars at night. He pointed at the "Seven Sisters" (The Pleiades), a seven-star cluster.

He directed me to focus there, and press the stabilize button. It was impressive to see more than 30 stars suddenly appear within the cluster. It's hard to forget that moment when viewing the "Seven Sisters" today with the naked eye.

"Seven Sisters" in Japanese—as reflected on every hood ornament with that name is "Subaru".
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 09:28 AM   #11
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricestavern View Post
Not sure how what I said can be construed as a 'negative' comment. It is simply a consideration. The IS device adds weight. It is something, amongst the '20 parameters' that must be considered. Nothing 'obvious' here about my experience, so keep that bit to yourself, please.
Don’t forget to also “consider”

Better optics adds weight.
Better build adds weight.
Waterproofing adds weight.
Larger objective adds more weight.

It’s obvious you have no experience because you are focusing on one aspect when you have to look at the whole thing.

Canon makes some nice 32mm IS in 10x,12x,14x that have nominally a small amount of weighted add for IS.

Here is a good example, which I’m sure you won’t bother to read comparing them to a very high end Binocular (Swarovski). And how they all agreed the Canon was a better experience.

https://www.birdforum.net/threads/ca...-10x56.355635/

Lot’s of folks carry monopods or tripods to get the most out of their glass. So for hiking the IS makes your pack weight LESS and more versatile.
There are heavier and lighter IS binocs. These are the sweet spot. You generally don’t need 42mm for day time viewing. 42mm and up kicks in on night skies.

Last edited by mswlogo; 06-26-2021 at 10:33 PM.
Old 06-26-2021, 11:02 PM   #12
mswlogo

Quote:
I've since learned the $85 Celestron Skymaster binoculars are made in the USA.

(San Francisco, but close enough).
I considered the Skymaster Pro's (and may still) and even those are made in China.

They are made by a company called United Optics.

You wouldn't be able to make the Box they came in, in San Fransisco

Here is a link from the "Way Back" machine listing them on United Optics web site

https://web.archive.org/web/20120219...A1_Series.html
Old 08-15-2021, 01:06 PM   #13
FlyingScot

Got a pair--they are AWESOME! Went with the 18X, as I already have a pair of 10X (compact non-IS). Definitely heavy and bulky as others have mentioned, but I'm looking a mile away and amazed at the things that are not even specks to the naked eye.

Thanks, msw!
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 01:42 PM   #14
Jdarby

Quote:

Totally agree! Love my Skymasters and for a modest price! While IS sounds appealing, I don’t think I can reasonably justify that price tag!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Jdarby is offline   Reply With Quote