Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Diving Winnipesaukee
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2018, 08:18 PM   #1
Aquanut

Default Looking for more dive buddies

Second year diving, having lots of fun but I’d like to find more dive buddies. Preferably down to earth people more interested in having fun rather than being “ the best diver ever”. Just looking for some cool, safe people to dive and hang with. I do have a boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Aquanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:30 PM   #2
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts

Email me at info(at)sonarsar.com leave a phone #.

I have 3 new wrecks I found last October that are shallow and would be a great dive for you/us that I need to film. Other stuff to dive again including a pick-up truck.

Lots to do this year. Need to talk to you 1st. If you don't have a pony bottle I suggest getting one-19cf minimum. I use a 19cf pony that I rarely dive without whether I'm diving solo or not.

You have the right attitude when it comes to choosing dive buddies thank you.

HH
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:43 PM   #3
AltonBayGuy

I am always looking for a dive buddy, been diving cold and warm water for 4 years. AOW certified

Either of you ... feel free to email me.

Diver Down
AltonBayGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:42 PM   #4
painthappy

Anyone can drop me a line also. I plan on hitting quite a few of the Friday night diving here: http://www.divewinnipesaukee.com/lake_charters.shtml

Just to get my bearings again. It's been a while since my last dive, though I did obtain my divemaster's certification year ago.

I purchased all new gear for this year and I'm ready to go.

I don't live up there full time - live in NH, and have a place in Gilford and a boat at Fays.

Interesting on the pony bottle. May I ask why carry that and not a simple spare air?

Of course that being said, I've never carried either on me. I suppose if I went solo diving I would highly consider it.
painthappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:32 PM   #5
Diver1111

A Spare Air is sometimes called a "Spare Breath" due to their size. Off the top of my head they are I think, about 2-4 cubic feet as opposed to my 19 cf Pony. Of course even bigger Ponys are available.

Yes it can get you to the surface-yes they work fine, depending on:
- How deep you are when you need it;
- Whether or not you need to ascend slowly to de-compress on the way up to avoid the bends;
- How well you use air overall;
- Whether or not you freak out when you lose you main tank and start hyerventilating;
- Whether or not an immediate emergency ascent is even an option;

When Senter Cove Guy and I dive below about 50-60 feet we both have Ponys. He and I often go to 90+ feet. He goes even deeper when doing recoveries for Dive Winni.

So he has a main tank and a Pony, I have a main tank and a Pony. That's 4 independent air systems between us. Nice. And when I dive deep(er), say below 75 feet, it's with a steel 100 not an aluminum 80. Of course I have dived to 90+ feet on an 80 but as a rule..."more air = good".

Not trying to scare anyone but please think it through. Bottom line is Spare Airs are fantastic to have and could easily save your life but a true Pony is the way to go.
The Following User Says Thank You to Diver1111 For This Useful Post:
Grant (05-15-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2018, 01:43 PM   #6
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver1111 View Post
A Spare Air is sometimes called a "Spare Breath" due to their size. Off the top of my head they are I think, about 2-4 cubic feet as opposed to my 19 cf Pony. Of course even bigger Ponys are available.

Not trying to scare anyone but please think it through. Bottom line is Spare Airs are fantastic to have and could easily save your life but a true Pony is the way to go.
Don't worry about scaring anyone...out-of-air emergencies are the leading cause of dive fatalities. And gimmicky things like "Spare Air" can provide a false -- and dangerous -- sense of security. If you really want spare air, go with a pony. I use a 30 cf AL to complement my steel 100. Or, I should say "I carry" it. Thankfully, I've never to use it. Some of dive buddies actually use their pony bottles for drysuit or BCD inflation...so they are only using their primary can(s) for breathing. But you have to keep an eye on the pony level -- wouldn't want it low if needed. Another friend has his 7-ft. octo hose attached to a 60 cf pony (and then his 'personal' octo on a very short necklaced hose...nice rig. So many configurations...so little time...
Old 05-15-2018, 01:46 PM   #7
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver1111 View Post
Email me at info(at)sonarsar.com leave a phone #.

I have 3 new wrecks I found last October that are shallow and would be a great dive for you/us that I need to film. Other stuff to dive again including a pick-up truck.

Lots to do this year. Need to talk to you 1st. If you don't have a pony bottle I suggest getting one-19cf minimum. I use a 19cf pony that I rarely dive without whether I'm diving solo or not.

You have the right attitude when it comes to choosing dive buddies thank you.

HH
Coming up in June, July & September...would love to check out some of the "TOIs"... Hope all is well.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:09 PM   #8
Diver1111

Contact me Grant and we can dive. Heading out tomorrow with Senter Cove Guy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Diver1111 For This Useful Post:
Grant (06-01-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 04:52 PM   #9
Aqua-andy

I'm available on weekends, just send me a PM. I always like finding new dive buddies
Aqua-andy is offline   Reply With Quote