Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Diving Winnipesaukee
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2015, 08:41 PM   #1
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Boat on trailer again-maybe

Today I went back to scan a target I found a few weeks ago-not alot of time as rain was about to hit but I needed some time off.

After studying the images I believe I have a trailer w/a boat on it-look at the triangular shadow in one of the images-that could be a frame coming together at the coupler-very odd to see that shape. But it could be anything and I won't know of course until I dive it.

It "appears" that the boat has twisted around sideways on the trailer and is standing up on end in the water column, likely weighted by the motor.

Yes I understand the images do not seem to "mesh" meaning how could such different images all be of the same thing? Trust me with side-scan-sonar it is quite possible. If I posted more images of whatever this is it would only confuse people. You would never be able to connect the dots so to speak.

Great fun though. Video to follow at some point.
Attached Images

Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Diver1111 For This Useful Post:
Airedale1 (11-12-2015), Senter Cove Guy (10-23-2015), Tallyho (10-23-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 09:16 PM   #2
nhracing

Thanks for sharing ... can't wait to see dive video ☺

nhracing - Yamaha SX210
nhracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:22 AM   #3
Got Gills

Looks like just a trailer, you can see wheels and the ribs.
Got Gills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:16 PM   #4
ApS

Question And Maybe The Whole Thing at Once...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Gills View Post
Looks like just a trailer, you can see wheels and the ribs.
That was my thought as well.

Maybe the trailer supported a bob house, which didn't get taken off the ice in time. The wood parts have since floated away.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:28 PM   #5
Diver1111

Default Dove this today

I dove this with my buddy today. Now that I have seen it I understand my confusion about why I saw what clearly was a box shape yet scanned from other angles showed what clearly could have been a boat-especially the ribs then the bow of a boat.

Turns out, in my opinion, it was a bob house at one time on a heavy duty home made trailer assembled with steel I-beams, stainless bolts and stainless winch cable. Probably down there about 15 years or so based on corrosion of the steel.

The trailer frame itself was up at an angle in the water column-that much was clear from the sonar images. There was a large heavy duty wood frame base on the trailer bed-my guess is it was bolted to the trailer frame. All of the ribs (joists) of this base showed (no floor), thus making me think for a while it was a boat. I further speculate that the whole rig went thru the ice, tearing off the sides and roof, which makes sense if it pierced the ice and as it went down ripped it apart but the base remained attached.

I think the owner drove it out to fish and had no intention of taking it off the trailer, hence why the base never moved as it was bolted in place and thus remained as it sank in 60 feet of water.

The tires were car tires not trailer tires. The black arrow in the 2nd image points to one.

I figured out why it looked like a boat. Where the wood frame meets the front of the trailer and ends, the trailer frame of course continues at an angle until its end-point at the coupler and winch. This V made it look like the bow section of a boat continuing to a point, not a trailer frame. When they are next to each other as they are in the images, it looks like boat.

I dug around the end of it to see if there was a license plate but it was too far into the bottom to tell.

Visibility was the worst I have seen in a long time-maybe three feet. Video is not even worth posting sorry.

Temp at 60 feet was 47 degrees. 51 on top. No thermocline at all.

The second dive 1/2 mile away turned out to be another steel hulled vessel about 17 feet long-the 4th such boat I have found in the lake made of steel and all are about 17 feet. I wish I knew more about these old, odd steel boats. If anyone has any ideas email me thanks.
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Diver1111 For This Useful Post:
HellRaZoR004 (05-12-2016), Senter Cove Guy (05-14-2016), Tallyho (05-13-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2016, 12:11 PM   #6
Diver1111

I had to go back and get a better view of this thing. YouTube clip here:

https://youtu.be/o2kA0mkb7x8

I think I was right that it was indeed a trailer to haul a bob house. Clearly cut in the floor are two square holes, one for each fisherman.

Based on the gauge of steel etc. this is a well built home-built affair. Car tires, heavy welded angle iron frame, some stainless hardware.

Cusk still there-they sure do like structure.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diver1111 For This Useful Post:
Grant (05-23-2016), Senter Cove Guy (05-22-2016)
Old 05-22-2016, 02:01 PM   #7
noreast

That's awesome, I need a new hobby. The second Cusk was like Blair witch for fish.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote