Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Diving Winnipesaukee
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2015, 04:26 PM   #1
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Twin engine Correct Craft & huge Laker-type

Senter Cove Guy and I dove these two wrecks last week in Wolfboro Bay.

The twin engine Correct Craft I found, but (diver) Grant, while diving on the Correct Craft, came across this huge Laker-type boat about 180 feet away (now tied together with marker line so you can swim from one to the other-nice).

This Laker-type boat is the largest one I have ever seen; Discussions put it at 35-60 feet long; I hand-measured it at 50 feet. By any measure it's really big.

I have posted a mixed bag of side-scan-sonar images for both wrecks in this single post, because they are so close to each other and I scanned one wreck then went to the other and turned around hence I have both on one sonar datafile. You won't have any trouble telling them apart.

You can find the big Laker by following the white plastic marker line out and back along the bottom. Worth seeing both on one dive.

Remember to try zooming in on an image-the magnification really helps.

LatLon for the Correct Craft is: N.43 34.559 W 71 13.410

Twin engine Correct Craft:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRUDbHfXP_A

Big Laker:
http://youtu.be/FtUQ-xCFK4c
Attached Images

Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Diver1111 For This Useful Post:
billy (09-13-2015), Grant (06-01-2015), Senter Cove Guy (05-31-2015), SharkBaitDiving (09-16-2015), Tallyho (06-01-2015)
Old 05-31-2015, 07:15 PM   #2
8gv

Cool shots as usual, thanks!

What do you suppose that is on the right side of pic #2?

It looks like Winnie's rib cage to me.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:22 AM   #3
Grant

Wow -- thanks for posting these. Interesting to see the footprint of the long boat. When I first came across it (my reel snagged on something when we were doing a big circle around the anchor line), I silted the area up pretty quickly, and then tried to measure it using my body length.

You can see the offending reel line draped over the boat and looped around the bow. Then I go back to find my buddy and lure him back to show what the line was caught on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1spNkIGCbYU
Old 06-01-2015, 09:42 AM   #4
That Guy

Neat. Where in the bay? Goodhue side? Brewster side?
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:50 AM   #5
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
Neat. Where in the bay? Goodhue side? Brewster side?
Goodhue. In fact, pretty close to Goodhue.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:10 AM   #6
Diver1111

Re: picture #2 from the top, what you are seeing is the result of running the towfish right over the target (the vessel in question) which splits the image. The part to the right in image #2 is the tip of the bow section.

It's all one vessel but appears as two when you fly over it as opposed to flying the towfish to the side of it.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:01 PM   #7
Tired of Waiting

Default Not that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver1111 View Post
Re: picture #2 from the top, what you are seeing is the result of running the towfish right over the target (the vessel in question) which splits the image. The part to the right in image #2 is the tip of the bow section.

It's all one vessel but appears as two when you fly over it as opposed to flying the towfish to the side of it.
I think what 8gv was asking about in pictured #2 is the sand(?) ribs over to the right of the bow. They sort of resemble a rib cage of a very large creature.

ToW
Tired of Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:06 PM   #8
Diver1111

Re: the rib-like image, what you see is called refraction. It typically sits on the perimeter of an image and is the sonar wave bouncing off the thermocline-the different layer(s) of water at different temperatures that present a boundary, if you will, like a wall, that deflects/reflects, the sound wave instead of letting it pass thus generating a useful image. Refraction can be a huge problem for sonar operators.

It is a well known topic amongst submarine captains, who use the thermocline to hide their subs, knowing that a sonar wave bouncing off a thermocline sometimes won't reach them thus giving away their presence.

If I recall correctly the concept of thermoclines was used in the movie The Hunt For Red October, when they were playing cat and mouse game using them at one point to hide one sub from another or a surface vessel.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:27 AM   #9
Tired of Waiting

Talking Now you did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver1111 View Post
Re: the rib-like image, what you see is called refraction. It typically sits on the perimeter of an image and is the sonar wave bouncing off the thermocline-the different layer(s) of water at different temperatures that present a boundary, if you will, like a wall, that deflects/reflects, the sound wave instead of letting it pass thus generating a useful image. Refraction can be a huge problem for sonar operators.

It is a well known topic amongst submarine captains, who use the thermocline to hide their subs, knowing that a sonar wave bouncing off a thermocline sometimes won't reach them thus giving away their presence.

If I recall correctly the concept of thermoclines was used in the movie The Hunt For Red October, when they were playing cat and mouse game using them at one point to hide one sub from another or a surface vessel.
Diver, you now and went a spoiled all the fun of us thinking you found proof of Winni monster.

You could of a least come up with a real good story that you found the fossil of a large aquatic creature that ate the boat in the picture!! That would have been much more exciting!!

But thanks for the answer.

ToW
Tired of Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:10 PM   #10
Diver1111

Default More info about the CorrectCraft

With help from the site www.CorrectCraftFan.com I learned a bit more and got some great pictures. "Seems" there were only (2) twins ever made total, if I understand the information correctly.

From a man on the CC site with the handle KenWolfB:

Similar/identical boat is on Lake Cobbosseecontee in Maine. The boat and owner are well known in the wooden boater circles. Original power was twin 6 cylinder Grays, which are now in storage. Current power is twin big block V8s.

Local legend is that CC made two.

Boat on bottom is very similar, with twin 6 cylinder Grays, the remains of the aft cockpit and the vents on the transom. Although transom vents are located in slightly different locations, that would not be unusual for the hand crafted boats of that era.

It is thought one was owned by the Woolworth family

More from KenWolfB:
Similar/identical boat is on Lake Cobbosseecontee in Maine. The boat and owner are well known in the wooden boater circles. Original power was twin 6 cylinder Grays, which are now in storage. Current power is twin big block V8s.

Local legend is that CC made two.

Boat on bottom is very similar, with twin 6 cylinder Grays, the remains of the aft cockpit and the vents on the transom. Although transom vents are located in slightly different locations, that would not be unusual for the hand crafted boats of that era.
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Diver1111 For This Useful Post:
Grant (09-18-2015), Just Sold (09-13-2015), Tallyho (09-14-2015)