Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winter Sports
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2020, 12:34 PM   #1
J9lake

Default Skiing this week?

How is the snow at Bretton Woods and Gunstock? Iím sure not great, but is it skiable?
J9lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 03:38 PM   #2
radar4401

Default Skiing this week

I live across the lake in Wolfeboro and we received almost 12Ē of snow/sleet. Gunstock may have less but should have good skiing. We have excellent conditions in Wolfeboro as we didnít get rain,
radar4401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 03:49 PM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,735 Times in 959 Posts
Default Try these links

Try these links

http://www.gunstock.com/

https://www.brettonwoods.com/alpine_...now_conditions

Dave
Old 01-02-2020, 09:07 AM   #4
BroadHopper

Default Holiday / Vacation Week

Usually avoid the crowd as I had a serious accident a decade ago when someone ran into me from the rear. I had my left humorus shattered into 13 pieces!
Also someone ran into me while I was waiting in the lift line resulting a coma for two days and massive migraines for years! I'm fine now.
Both happens in peak periods. So I avoid the crowds.
Due to advance snowmaking, I think you will find conditions surprisingly delightful at most ski areas. Gunstock been phenomenal in the past few years!
I ski at Gunstock weekdays and occasionally ski Cannon and WV. Usually spend a month at Bridger Bowl in Bozeman.
Haven't been to Bretton Woods in decades. Would like to spend a day there if its not busy. I hear it is crowded yet the conditions are great!
Old 02-22-2020, 12:43 PM   #5
fatlazyless

Hey, here's a good article with a lot of photos about snow-making ...... 'How Killington Makes its Snow' ....... Feb 21, NY Times.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:08 AM   #6
betterthanbacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Hey, here's a good article with a lot of photos about snow-making ...... 'How Killington Makes its Snow' ....... Feb 21, NY Times.
We love Lake Winni in the summer but Killington is our home. Killingtons snow making capabilities are outstanding which is why they are the first to open and last to close in the East. Picked up 7 inches today and still snowing. Put the new fresh on top of all the man made....Tomorrow is going to be a really good ski day.
betterthanbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 11:19 AM   #7
fatlazyless

Default ..... real snow is here!

Monday, April 27, 2020; hey there yo-yo-yo, check this out, on the www.waterville.com/cams ...... winter is back ..... the ground there at the bottom of the slopes has 2-4" of wet slushy new natural snow ..... is real natural snow, not to be confused with powered water and cold temps, generated expensive granulated ice pellets, "snow" cover.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:13 AM   #8
fatlazyless

Default ....... pray for snow!

Tuesday, December 1, 2020: 58-degrees and it has been raining very heavy throughout the last 18-hours with something like two or three inches of rainfall.

Enough rain so the 7-acre Corcoran's Pond, owned by the town, had three 4x8' sheets of heavy plywood held in place by about 5 steel pipes-each, five foot length, get knocked over by the over-full lake water. The four or five 2" or 3" steel pipes were all bent over 90-degrees+ by the water. It's a type of safety dam water release buffer on the top of the concrete dam so the plywood atop the dam will break out before the concrete dam itself suffers concrete failure damage, and it did what it is supposed to do. Is highly unusual, like a 5-10-15 year event for this to happen because usually someone will remove the 4x4" outflow wood blocks when a big rainfall is imminent. The wood blocks were apparently not removed by someone, and the plywood sheets and steel pipes broke out, releasing what had to be a whole heck of a lot of water going down Snow's Brook ...... water over the dam!

There is absolutely no natural snow cover on the ground anywhere, around here, and this www.waterville.com/cams is what it looks like after what was probably the warmest, no-snow-month of November for the last 11,000-years.
.................................................. ..................................

Saturday, Dec 5: Way-to-go Waterville Valley DPW ...... am very surprised to see the three washed-out upper dam panels have been totally repaired, and a dam good repair job it is, too ..... w/ same plywood, new plastic and new pipes. Was expecting the pond to be three feet below level for the entire winter but the water level is already pretty much back to where it should be. A ready to work dpw is a BIG IMPORTANT SERVICE for any town.
.................................................. ........................

Everybody ......... Pray for Snow! ...... so the Waterville parking lots will become filled with BMW's w/ Massachusetts license plates ....... Massachusetts - BMW big money ....... bring it here! ....... the skiing will soon be "totally excellent!"

Friday, Dec 4, 2020; 8:48-am, 38-degrees and overcast dark gray sky: Waterville opens, first day of the ski season, am seeing a few people with skis walking around and riding the chairlift in the moving webcam shot.

www.waterville.com/snow-report-maps The snow report from the ski area shows the temperature as 29-degrees and partly sunny while my thermometer, a mercury outside window mount about 1.5-miles from the ski area shows it as 38-degrees and very gray, total cloudy sky above Mt Tecumseh ..... so's who you gonna believe, here!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-06-2020 at 08:53 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 01:18 PM   #9
fatlazyless

Exclamation ...... WV electric power outage

From about 10:22 to 11:55 this morning, Saturday January 16, 2021, the electric power was down here in Waterville Valley most likely due to the wet, slushy snowfall and 20-mph wind. It was a somewhat busy day for this pandemic ski season with a pretty good number of skiers/riders hitting the slopes.

Apparently the two running chairlifts must have a back-up generator or something so's it can slowly unload everyone on the lifts when the power is down before it is closed to use.

It's 12:17 now and the lifts still are not running despite the local power having come back on at 11:55. Do not know why?

Talk about bad timing for the ski lifts and the power to go down, 10:22 - 11:55-am is like totally prime time on a holiday Saturday during this pandemic ski season. The timing for this Saturday shut-down and all could not get too much worse.

Oh well ...... there's always cross country skiing or hiking all the WMNF trails all around here as opposed to skiing a $102 non-refundable lift ticket. Got to wonder if that is totally true about being non-refundable?

And, thanks to a large back-up generator the town water system never ever stops working so the sink and the toilet will always have running water.

12:28: .... and the two lifts are running again. Looks like very few skiers/riders out there on the slopes so's people probably left, or something.

The temp here right now is 34 at altitude-1800' and the Forum weather page says it is 37 at Weirs Beach where it looks like it is raining, lightly, in Wolfeboro.

From the Town of Wolfeboro, Abenaki Ski Area website it says in red letters: "Saturday, January 16 - Abenaki Ski Area is closed today due to the combination of warm temperatures and rain. As much as we want to be open today, we do not want to compromise the base of snow we have to ensure we can continue skiing for the remainder of the year. We will re-open tomorrow Sunday, January 17th."

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-16-2021 at 02:05 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 01:28 PM   #10
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Oh well ...... there's always cross country skiing or hiking all the WMNF trails all around here as opposed to skiing a $102 non-refundable lift ticket. Got to wonder if that is totally true about being non-refundable?
Bummer. If I lost hours due to lifts being down, and the mountain told me to pound sand, I'd dispute the charge with the credit card company. Takes just a few minutes online or on the phone. The cardholder wins almost every time.
FlyingScot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 10:51 AM   #11
BroadHopper

Default Gunstock, Cannon, WV

The skiing has been great for what the weather was worth.

I notice the crowd is up weekdays post-COVID. And the crowd is down on weekends.

I avoid the Panorama lift at Gunstock. People are not adhering to COVID restrictions. Cannon enforced the restrictions. WV skiers are more forgiven.

It would not surprise me if sales are better than expected at the resorts.
Old 01-20-2021, 04:27 PM   #12
Winni P

Default Disagree - not our experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
The skiing has been great for what the weather was worth.

I avoid the Panorama lift at Gunstock. People are not adhering to COVID restrictions. Cannon enforced the restrictions. WV skiers are more forgiven.
Wow, I am surprised at your Gunstock statement as that has not been our experience. We have been multiple times and thought the staff was doing a good job reminding people to pull their masks up. It's unfortunate that it is their responsibility to remind people to mask up as people should be responsible for their own actions to help protect our ski season. The majority of the skiers we saw were masked up both on weekends and mid-week.
Winni P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:27 PM   #13
GregW11

This month, Iíve skied Cannon and Gunstock (weekdays only). At both areas, mask compliance in the lift lines has been excellent. There has been some crowding around the Panorama lift at Gunstock which seems to grow to a steady rate to about 11:00. Even then, the lines are not long by traditional standards, but for an old geezer like me with comorbitities, it becomes uncomfortable and I either move to the other lifts (which have generally been uncrowded) or I just go home and soak my weary bones.

Cannon today was great. No lines and they have a lot more snow up there. Some scratchy places in high traffic areas, but still very good conditions for Cannon.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
GregW11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:38 AM   #14
fatlazyless

Sunday, January 24, 2021, 10:40-am: Waterville Valley has temperature about 13-degrees and winds 10-20 with big gusts up to 30-mph.

The White's Peak main 4-seater quad lift is closed due to the wind.

The Valley Run 4-seater quad is running, is in use, with skiers/riders lined up to use it.

The Green Peak 3-seater lift has yet to run so far, this ski season.

Is WINDYVILLE VALLEY a happening name, or what, it sho 'nuf is windy out there, right now. .....
Old 01-24-2021, 12:16 PM   #15
FlyingScot

Sunapee and Wachusett (in Mass) have both been great for mask compliance
FlyingScot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 03:36 PM   #16
betterthanbacon

Default The snow is so good right now

The skiing is extremely good right now. The snow is so good it gives you a huge desire for more and more. I cant remember when the skiing in New England has been this consistently great. If you ski and have not been out, get out there before Mother Nature takes it all away from us.
I wish all of our winters could be like this one.
Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow!!
betterthanbacon is offline   Reply With Quote