Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-21-2016, 06:29 PM   #1
NoBozo

Cool Wolfeboro Flagpole

Someone needs to take down the flagpole on the Wolfboro Docks ..Chip the paint and rust off and Repaint it. After all, that pole fly's the American Flag. If I lived up there I would volunteer to do it myself for free.

Anyone who was in the Navy.. Back in the day... knows how to "Chip Paint". Let's have some Navy volunteers step forward : The Army ain't going to do it. NB

BTW: That pole is mounted in a "tabernacle"..It can be laid down.

Last edited by NoBozo; 04-21-2016 at 06:59 PM.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
Jersey Ed (04-29-2016), Leoskeys (04-23-2016)
Old 04-21-2016, 10:27 PM   #2
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Hmm I was in the Navy and even stationed on a carrier and I never chipped one flake of paint. Guess I was lucky.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:00 AM   #3
Orion

Default get a Marine

You could tell a Marine it's a rock and he'll paint it right quick.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:08 PM   #4
NoBozo

Default C'Mon Men

I know we have some Navy Veterans living around the lake. Let's step up and get the job done on that flagpole. It doesn't require actual "Chipping Paint" with a chipping hammer.

The pole is round. To strip a round shape.... of paint and rust we used a cheap..ragged..sharp edges.. Chain..available at the hardware store in Wolfeboro. You wrap it around the round shape a couple of turns and pull it back and forth.

I will be back shortly with the type of chain that works. NB

http://www.1st-chainsupply.com/chain/weldless/index.htm

Class 1 or 2. It tears the old paint off the round shape in short order. Two young guys (OR 4 old Farts) are required to do this. Old NAVY Salts supervising.

Last edited by NoBozo; 04-22-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:18 PM   #5
Descant

Thanked 1,518 Times in 985 Posts
Default Schedule

We need somebody from Wolfeboro to schedule and get approval from the Town Fathers/Town admin. Schedule permitting, I'll participate. My Navy experience is coffee, black, and not more than 1/2 cup at a time in case the plane hits turbulence. And doughnuts. Never chipped paint. I bet ORION, who has similar Navy experience will help, again schedule permitting.
Descant
XP3NFO
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
NoBozo (04-23-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2016, 12:59 PM   #6
Orion

Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
We need somebody from Wolfeboro to schedule and get approval from the Town Fathers/Town admin. Schedule permitting, I'll participate. My Navy experience is coffee, black, and not more than 1/2 cup at a time in case the plane hits turbulence. And doughnuts. Never chipped paint. I bet ORION, who has similar Navy experience will help, again schedule permitting.
Descant
XP3NFO
If I'm up there (soon), I'll help.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Orion For This Useful Post:
NoBozo (04-23-2016)
Old 04-24-2016, 06:43 PM   #7
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
I know we have some Navy Veterans living around the lake. Let's step up and get the job done on that flagpole. It doesn't require actual "Chipping Paint" with a chipping hammer.

The pole is round. To strip a round shape.... of paint and rust we used a cheap..ragged..sharp edges.. Chain..available at the hardware store in Wolfeboro. You wrap it around the round shape a couple of turns and pull it back and forth.

I will be back shortly with the type of chain that works. NB

http://www.1st-chainsupply.com/chain/weldless/index.htm

Class 1 or 2. It tears the old paint off the round shape in short order. Two young guys (OR 4 old Farts) are required to do this. Old NAVY Salts supervising.
When you get a crew together to lower that HUGE flag pole please let me know. Just looking at the size of the bolt that goes into the tabernacle it will be fun to see you take that out.
Good luck and I suggest you have a few EMT's there when the big event happens.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:21 PM   #8
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
When you get a crew together to lower that HUGE flag pole please let me know. Just looking at the size of the bolt that goes into the tabernacle it will be fun to see you take that out.
Good luck and I suggest you have a few EMT's there when the big event happens.
Hi Rusty: I am realizing now, the extent of my... (Idealistic) idea. The Wolfeboro DPW would have to lower the mast.

Then getting Real Volunteers to Show Up and do the work is probably dreaming.

Liability on the part of the town..would probably make volunteers doing the job unlikely.

It Would Be Nice if the flag pole were taken care of though. It doesn't just need another paint job. It needs to be Stripped of old paint and rust, Primed, and Painted again. I come up to Wolfeboro every year late in the season and the flagpole hasn't been maintained in YEARS.

That flagpole is the Centerpiece of the Wolfeboro Town Dock.

I look at that pole every day on the WolfeCam. Along with thousands of other people. NB

http://wolfeborocam.com/
Old 04-24-2016, 08:11 PM   #9
Rusty

Quote:
I look at that pole every day on the WolfeCam. Along with thousands of other people. NB
I look at it a few times a week and other than a few scrapes on one side it is in good shape. The scraped areas have a little rust but they don't stand-out at all.
I really don't know how you can tell how the pole looks by looking at it on Wolfeborcam.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:33 PM   #10
NoBozo

Default The Flag Pole

Hey Rusty: I always respect your input on various subjects. This time you are wrong. The Wolfeboro Town Docks Flag Pole Is RUSTY..Rusty. There is no compromise. The flag pole needs to be Stripped and Re-Painted.

OH Wait: Maybe it would be cheaper to replace the rusty Steel flag pole with a brand new "Modern" Aluminum flagpole.... NOT

Here's why. Aluminum flagpoles..like aluminum masts on sailboats.... They both have little unfortunate thingys called Halyards which are required to hoist the sails, or Flags.

When unattended, the Halyards tend to "Bang" on the mast ..Ding..Ding..Ding..Ding...hour after hour.. under certain wind conditions. Aluminum sailboat masts (and flagpoles) have a certain quality for transmitting this sound..This can be aggravating for those who have to listen to the banging for hours on end.

STEEL doesn't have this ringing quality.

Lets Strip and repaint the Flag Pole on the Wolfeboro docks. It's the right thing to do. NB

PS: As a 74 year old coot (And a Seagoing Navy Veteran) I have the Eyes Of An Eagle looking for rust..even on the WolfeCam. I've also seen it firsthand.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
riverat (04-29-2016), Rusty (04-26-2016), secondcurve (10-03-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 06:48 PM   #11
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Hey Rusty: I always respect your input on various subjects. This time you are wrong. The Wolfeboro Town Docks Flag Pole Is RUSTY..Rusty. There is no compromise. The flag pole needs to be Stripped and Re-Painted.

OH Wait: Maybe it would be cheaper to replace the rusty Steel flag pole with a brand new "Modern" Aluminum flagpole.... NOT

Here's why. Aluminum flagpoles..like aluminum masts on sailboats.... They both have little unfortunate thingys called Halyards which are required to hoist the sails, or Flags.

When unattended, the Halyards tend to "Bang" on the mast ..Ding..Ding..Ding..Ding...hour after hour.. under certain wind conditions. Aluminum sailboat masts (and flagpoles) have a certain quality for transmitting this sound..This can be aggravating for those who have to listen to the banging for as long as it lasts.

STEEL doesn't have this ringing quality.

Lets Strip and repaint the Flag Pole on the Wolfeboro docks. It's the right thing to do. NB

PS: As a 74 year old coot (And a Seagoing Navy Veteran) I have the Eyes Of An Eagle looking for rust..even on the WolfeCam.
Problem solved, shipped in 2 days with Amazon Prime!
Attached Images

PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
Rusty (04-26-2016), secondcurve (10-03-2016), VitaBene (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 06:31 PM   #12
NoBozo

I have no doubt those little Firm Foam thingys work when metallic connectors (Snap Hooks) are involved. Unprotected Snap Hooks are NOT the whole problem, .. they WILL chew up the paint on a flagpole, but a plain halyard will also contribute to the noise and aggravation.

Halyards on aluminum sailboat masts DO NOT have Snap Hooks in line. The Bare Halyard..Always Dacron, spliced to a near equal length of wire is what makes the Ding..Ding..Ding..Ding on the mast...when the wind speed and direction is "Just So". The wire is inside the mast, Dacron outside..making the noise.

BTW: Some Sailboat masts ..AND some Flagpoles have "Internal" Halyards. That helps reduce the chance of noise. NB
Old 04-27-2016, 06:24 PM   #13
NoBozo

Some of you may Not SEE the rust on the flagpole on the WolfeCam. Look for it in the morning... on a sunny day. Needs to be fixed. NB
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (10-03-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 06:09 PM   #14
NoBozo

OUR American Flag... is now raised on that flagpole for the summer season. NB

http://wolfeborocam.com/
Old 06-02-2016, 07:09 PM   #15
NoBozo

The flag pole appears to have been painted. They Snuk it in when I wasn't looking. I check in every day on the Wolfe Cam. They did NOT do a Navy Approved method. That would have taken days to do. Strip, Prime, and Paint...With drying times in between.

They just Slopped on more paint.

That's the Civilian Way...and why our "Infrastructure" (Bridges, etc) is so bad.

OH Well..I gave it a shot. NB
Old 06-03-2016, 05:06 AM   #16
pressman247

I think the town of Wolfeboro is currently reviewing a few different plans to invest a whole lot of money in the town docks area increasing green space and decreasing parking. (There might be a sewer issue there that's getting addressed as well) They're looking for public input. Will see this link gets forwarded to the chamber of commerce and a few selectmen.
pressman247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:08 PM   #17
NoBozo

Default Flagpole Update

This past two weeks we have been residing just outside Wolfeboro on vacation. My favorite pastime is to go down to the Wolfeboro docks and watch the Mount come in. So I spent some time on the docks.

In the recent past, I have been critical of the maintenance of the flagpole on the Wolfeboro town docks. After having actually seen the flagpole, and given the flagpole a critical Navy Material Inspection... as to the condition of the flagpole and the recent paint job...The paint job meets with ALL Navy requirements. NB
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (10-03-2016), secondcurve (10-03-2016)
Old 10-03-2016, 07:30 PM   #18
Woody38

After lowering the flagpole strip with Star Ten stripper.
http://www.starten.com/

Sand the rust with wet sand paper and apply Rust-o-leum.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not lazy. I just really enjoy doing nothing.
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote