Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues > Speed Limits
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-28-2007, 09:10 PM   #1
Bizer

Default Email from the Marine Patrol

Bizer received an email from the Marine Patrol.  The Department of Safety has established two speed-limit zones in Lake Winnipesaukee.

Zone 1 is west of Bear Island, north of light #3, "From the southern end of the no wake zone between Bear Island and Pine Island to a line running from Horse Island to Penny Island." [grid G-4 on Bizer's chart]

Zone 2 is southwest of Rattlesnake Island, "From light 25 (N. of Rattlesnake) across to Sleepers Point to a line running from the Southeastern end of Rattlesnake to the southeast side of the entrance to Minge Cove." [Grid G-13]

The speed limit in these two areas shall be 45 MPH during daylight hours and 25 MPH at night.  Enforcement is anticipated to commence in June, 2007.

Last edited by Bizer; 05-29-2007 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:51 AM   #2
Phantom

Interesting ......... I thought Zone 2 was going to be the waters behind Sleeper (FL 75 area) -- thanks Bizer.

For others without a map handy-- Zone 1 starts/ends essentially at FL #3
Old 05-29-2007, 10:08 PM   #3
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom
Interesting ......... I thought Zone 2 was going to be the waters behind Sleeper (FL 75 area) -- thanks Bizer....
The area described in Zone 2 does includes the area behind Sleepers Island. It actually includes all the waters around Sleepers Island and Treasure Island including FL 24. It also includes all the waters around Smith Point, including FL 48, plus the sandbar and entrance to WAM at FL75.

The Broads side of Rattlesnake is not in Zone 2. So if you're in your GFBL and you're leaving Alton Bay heading "up lake", you should take the outside path northeast of Rattlesnake.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:40 AM   #4
ApS

Exclamation Aaackkkkk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc
"...The Broads side of Rattlesnake is not in Zone 2. So if you're in your GFBL and you're leaving Alton Bay heading "up lake", you should take the outside path northeast of Rattlesnake..."
Well, how about that?

The speed zones, promoted at the last minute by a banished Safety Director, have displaced the ocean-racers into my neighborhood.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:01 AM   #5
Island Girl

Default How about a map

Perhaps one of you could mark up a map and post it... much easier to visualize the areas of concern.

Thanks
IG

....... Make Lemonade
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2007, 07:47 AM   #6
DRH

Unhappy Confusing

The various descriptions of "Zone 2" that Safety Services has put out have been very confusing. At first they described that area as running from Rattlesnake Island "toward" Sleepers Island, resulting in questions about whether the speed limit area is just between Rattlesnake and Sleepers Island or if it also extends from Sleepers over to the mainland.

Now in the email to Bizer, the Marine Patrol describes that area as "From light 25 (N. of Rattlesnake) across to Sleepers Point to a line running from the Southeastern end of Rattlesnake to the southeast side of the entrance to Minge Cove."

Where is "Sleepers Point"? Did they mean "Smith Point" (which would make more sense)?
Old 05-30-2007, 08:14 AM   #7
Dave R

Sleeper's Point is just northwest of Smith's point. Based on the MP description, the imaginary lines that designate the speed zone are almost parallel with eachother and almost perpendicular to the long axis of Rattlesnake Island.

A quick and dirty drawing:

Old 05-30-2007, 10:07 AM   #8
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R
Sleeper's Point is just northwest of Smith's point.
Thanks, Dave. I had never noticed "Sleeper's Point" on the Bizer chart before, but it's right where you described.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:53 PM   #9
Airwaves

Default What happens in 2008?

Hi All
I understand why the no speed zones were not on the charts this year since they were imposed too late to be included in the printing.

But now that they were imposed by the Marine Patrol and later apparently done away with by the legislature, what can we expect for the 2008 boating season?