Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #1
eillac@dow

Smile GPS for Christmas

Merry Christmas Everyone!

I tried to do a search, but came up with nothing. (probably did not do it right). Anyway, If I wanted to get GPS for the lake...what do I need...where do i get it....and how much should I expect to pay?

Is a regular GPS ok and then I just download something? Is there a special GPS I need for the Lake?

As you can see, I am pretty much clueless, but would love to have one wrapped under the tree on Christmas morning.

Thanks everyone.
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Any GPS

can take a lake map. However I find the naval specific models have a brighter screen and a sunscreen over the display.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,001 Times in 915 Posts

Take a look here to start:
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ead.php?t=7636

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...t=chartplotter
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
can take a lake map. However I find the naval specific models have a brighter screen and a sunscreen over the display.
Yes.

Much of it depends on your needs. I have a Garmin GPS, and bought a $2.99 (yes, 3 dollar) winni map for it a few years ago. It works great for my needs, I rely more on charts (and knowledge of the area) than GPS, but it's handy for giving quick visual confirmation of where you are.

Downside is that even though the Garmin GPS is designed for automobiles, and use in sunlight, it still doesn't do great in really bright sun. That, and it doesn't have a good "permanent" mounting option (or, maybe it does and I've never bothered to look good enough).

So, you can get a fully functional cheap option for about $150. You can also spend a lot more for more features and functions, it all depends on what it is worth to you.

Most people will probably suggest you get a Bizer chip, which is probably the ultimate lake map. If that is true in your case, I'd look at Bizers website, buy their map chip, and work backwards from there to find the best GPS unit that works with their chip that suits your needs/budget.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:55 AM   #5
Phantom

Spot on brk-int !!

It depends on what you need & use it for ....

I, like you, use it as secondary to the Chart & my own knowledge of the Lake as it becomes quite handy to verify an upcoming marker position when conditions are "iffy". Or in the case of early season a marker is missing altogether. Ever have that experience of --- "I know there should be a Red Top around here somewhere"

I have been using the Garmin 550 (which is a car/boating) GPS for a number of years now with the Garmin $2.99 download -- which is now $9.99 but still well worth it.

eillac@dow -- If Garmin suits your needs check out their website which has a page devoted to products that can download additional maps
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/maps...prod36400.html

(click on the "Compatible Devices" tab )

Good Luck .... and ALWAYS use the Chart as Primary

Old 12-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #6
Just Sold

Thumbs up Garmin 541S

I have a Garmin 541 GPS w/sonar. You can get it w/o the sonar sensor thus keeping the cost down and buy the sensor later. It does have a mounting bracket for the base and I bought the Winni map for $10.00 in a download from Garmin and it is great. When they get the new updated version (lake was surveyed this year) I will get that one.
We found some great pricing on this web site when we purchased ours a few years ago: http://g.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/...-Sounders.html
They do have great customer service. Our 1st GPS arrived with a smashed screen and it was promtly replaced.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:37 PM   #7
Showem

The boat I just bought came with the Garmin 740 GPS /chartplotter. Have not actually used it yet but looks awesome. All the reviews I have read are very positive
Showem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:09 PM   #8
gnemiccolo

I have a Standard Horizons with the lake chart chip! Well worth the investment , and the piece of mind. I still have charts. love them both
gnemiccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #9
gslpro

Default Overkill...but choices

On my helm, I have a built-in Standard Horizon with the Bizer Lake map chip. Top notch. I also use my Ipad with the Lake Winni App. I like using both of the GPS, especially at night, for the different zoom levels I like. So far, the Ipad app works great and has been accurate, but I think it will take several more trips before I ever truly trust it. But, it does have a real GPS chip in it, and it works pretty good. Also, it is nice to have the on-screen map look the same (exact same) as the laminated Bizer chart in my hand. I also have a garmin Zumo 550 motorcycle gps loaded with both the Garmin and Bizer maps. It is okay on both. The colors of the buoys is not red/black like they are supposed to be, which is the problem you will find in most car gps's. The Garmin map shows up black/white, but positioning is still accurate. I used this gps before I bought the Ipad so that I could use it at a different zoom, say for the Broads, but leave the built-in unit at a tighter zoom level for the accurate buoy location.

So, I guess it depends on what you will be doing with the GPSs that will decide on what you need. People like the Garmin $10 data map, but personally, I like the Bizer one, if not only to be the same as the chart, which is the number one source you should be using. GPS is only for assistance in navigation. Good luck.

Gary and Diane
290 Fiesta Vee "Nauti Bonnie"
gslpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #10
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Lived on the lake for 40 years

I pretty much know the lake to navigate without a map.

To all newbies on the lake, my advice to them is make sure you have a paper map. Always look for Red Hill. That direction is pretty much magnetic North. If you should lose your bearings on the lake, look for the nearest light buoy and match the buoy number to the number on the map.

In the past few years I have noticed buoys have drifted from their original positions and I have called MP about it. I have yet to see them moved. If you seem to noticed a buoy is not where the map says it is chances are it was moved by the winter ice. Please report it! I have lost a skeg and a stainless steel prop off the NW side of The Witches because the black and white had moved further SE. A number of forum members here have noticed it and reported hitting rocks. It was reported to the MP and it was finally moved after the season was over!

Words for the wise.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #11
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
To all newbies on the lake, my advice to them is make sure you have a paper map.
Since you brought it up , you can order a Bizer chart right here and help support this site at the same time.

I've received a lot of orders in the last week or so. The new chart (9th edition) makes a great stocking stuffer.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
trfour (12-13-2013), upthesaukee (12-13-2013)
Old 01-13-2014, 04:48 PM   #12
Rich

Did you ever get your GPS?

I have a Garmin 441S which was used for only one year on my boat. I also have the Bizer chart on it.

I should probably sell it as I replaced that boat and the new one has it's own built in GPS system.

I sure wish the new boat's GPS accepted the Bizer Chart. It would be nice if they would support the Raymarine GPS system as there are a lot of boats with this unit.