Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-29-2015, 02:56 PM   #1
LoveLakeWinni

Default State of Milfoil in Winnipesaukee - 50 Yrs Later

Quote:
Lake Winnipesaukee has the dubious distinction of being the lake in NH where milfoil was first discovered in 1965. 50 years later, the plant can be found in most areas of the lake. Communities have invested tremendous time and money in the battle to control this invasive plant.

Are we making progress? On August 6th, join the Lake Winnipesaukee Association for a public forum on the ‘State of Milfoil in Winnipesaukee – 50 Years Later!’ What is being done, lessons learned, the economic impact of invasive plants, and what new threats we should be on the watch for, will be topics covered during the forum.

The forum begins at 5:30pm at the Meredith Community Center, One Circle Drive, Meredith, NH. The event is free and open to the public. Light refreshments will be served. A $5 donation will gladly be accepted at the door to help cover costs associated with the program.
To register for the program, please visit http://www.eventbrite.com/e/state-of...869153?aff=es2
LoveLakeWinni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LoveLakeWinni For This Useful Post:
Ginger_nh (08-01-2015), jetlag100 (07-30-2015), Lakegeezer (07-31-2015), secondcurve (07-29-2015), trfour (07-30-2015), VitaBene (07-30-2015)
Old 08-04-2015, 10:18 PM   #2
garysanfran

Default So...

What happened? Is there a return on this investment?
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:30 PM   #3
love the lake

Default millfoil

Please post if there has been any progress in combating the millfoil. Any recommendations about what to do? Are there any ongoing processes around the lake to control it? Or are different communities working separately?
love the lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:14 PM   #4
robertspinazzola

Unfortunately I didn't see notice of this meeting. Can anyone point to a location I could see the content of the presentations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robertspinazzola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:07 AM   #5
Lakegeezer

Default Milfoil control in M'boro

Moultonborough has an active milfoil control program, with a yearly budget of about $200,000. This goes to divers, which harvested about 10,000 gallons of milfoil in 2014 and about 60 acres of herbicide treatments. After five years of activity, there is much less milfoil to be found in Moultonborough waters. Each year though, some areas need to be retreated. The weed is invasive!
Old 09-16-2015, 09:21 AM   #6
radioman

Default Milfoil

The meeting was held in Meredith, was well attended, and very informative.The good news is the fact that according to DES, we are winning the battle to control the spread of milfoil thanks to the time and funds contributed by the surrounding Towns and Lake organizations.

Each year the number of "evasive species" grows. Now we need to look for things like Zebra Mussels and Asian Clams which are headed our way and are
impossible to detect as the adult plants are.

For more info check into www.nhlakes.org
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:56 PM   #7
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Idaho is taking an interesting approach to the problem...

Other than just doing the most obnoxious thing like other states have done, create a annual sticker and charge people for it, maybe print a few handouts where most will end up in the trash - as if that'll alone will fix anything other than give the state more money to waste. They are actually attempting to seriously combat the problem. Not that the NH lake host program isn't effective, inspecting trailers for hanging weeds won't stop the spread of those zebra/Asian clams.

http://www.idahoag.us/Categories/Env...ations_ALL.php

Interesting stats they post too. I highly doubt with the current measures NH has in place the spread of this stuff will be stopped. Pretty sad if you think about it.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
wynndog (09-17-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 12:07 PM   #8
radioman

Default Milfoil

Maxum. thank you , great link !! From what I understand, a similar program was established at Lake George. I very much appreciate your concern and input.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:00 PM   #9
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

I passed by this "Invasive Aquatic Plant Removal" crew a few years ago off of Stonedam Island. I wasn't sure if the diver was removing milfoil, just looking for it or something else. The crew consisted of one diver and two girls sunning themselves in bikinis. It looked like they were enjoying the day but made me wonder if the taxpayer funds were being used effectively.
Attached Images

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:14 PM   #10
tricia1218

Moultons Cove was treated in July to combat the Milfoil. By mid August Moultons Cove is usually covered, treating the cove did seem to cut down on what we normally see, looked much clearer, and a lot less milfoil visible.
tricia1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:14 PM   #11
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
I passed by this "Invasive Aquatic Plant Removal" crew a few years ago off of Stonedam Island. I wasn't sure if the diver was removing milfoil, just looking for it or something else. The crew consisted of one diver and two girls sunning themselves in bikinis. It looked like they were enjoying the day but made me wonder if the taxpayer funds were being used effectively.
I think I see a career change right here.
Old 09-18-2015, 01:19 PM   #12
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
Maxum. thank you , great link !! From what I understand, a similar program was established at Lake George. I very much appreciate your concern and input.
Not saying I necessarily agree with the way they are doing things, but at least it seems the effort they are putting in is more likely to be effective.

Have a good offseason, I doubt I'll see you at the ramp again this year since it's getting late in the season.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote