Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-11-2013, 09:28 PM   #1
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts
Default Perseid Meteor shower

Don't forget the meteor shower will peak tonight and tomorrow. Best viewing is very early in the weee hours of the am. Like 2-3am. But I was just outside and saw at least 10 in just about 20 minutes. But it has to be very dark. So pull out your lounge chairs,lay back, and take a look at the stars tonight before going to bed. Don't forget the bug spray....
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
chasedawg

Default meteor shower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
Don't forget the meteor shower will peak tonight and tomorrow. Best viewing is very early in the weee hours of the am. Like 2-3am. But I was just outside and saw at least 10 in just about 20 minutes. But it has to be very dark. So pull out your lounge chairs,lay back, and take a look at the stars tonight before going to bed. Don't forget the bug spray....
It is 10:40 PM Sunday. Just saw one so far shooting from the East to the SW.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default Got a few pictures

Caught this one tonight about 10.20PM from Lake Shore Park. There were a pretty good number of them, this was one of two that happened to cross my Field of View.

Only way I've ever had trying to get one was to simply open the shutter for 10-15 seconds and hope one crosses the cameras Field of Vision.

Name:  tonight-qpr.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  47.5 KB
Pineedles (08-12-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
SIKSUKR

I must say I was very disapointed in the meteor showers this year.However,I have something knew to watch which is there all year round.Friday and Saturday nights I easily spotted 20 moving satellites while looking for meteors.Far surpassing my meteor sighting 4 fold.Really fun to find them.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #5
patman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
I must say I was very disapointed in the meteor showers this year.However,I have something knew to watch which is there all year round.Friday and Saturday nights I easily spotted 20 moving satellites while looking for meteors.Far surpassing my meteor sighting 4 fold.Really fun to find them.
Ditto. I only saw a few meteor streaks, but I spotted a bunch of satellites last night. I went out and took a look at about 11pm, 2am, and 4am. Surprisingly, the 11pm timeslot showed the most activity, I was expecting it would be better at the later ones.
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #6
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Strange eh? As I saw quite a few at the earlier time of around 10-10:30 last night. I wonder if they were off a bit on the projected times. Supposedly to be even better tonight.....or so-they-say!

Oh and those satellites might just be space junk flying around. I'd be a bit nervous in the ISS, knowing all that stuff was flittering around at thousands of miles per hour hour just waiting to bump into me. I did hear the news the other night mention that ISS control was watching a piece that was supposed to fly by the ISS fairly closely. They were monitoring it.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
SIKSUKR

99% of those satellites are just space junk but they are all refered to as satellites.Many opportunities for ISS sightings in the next week with one almost straight overhead next Friday.
http://spotthestation.nasa.gov/sight...ity=Manchester