Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2017, 09:18 AM   #1
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts
Default Tractor

I'm looking to buy a newer compact tractor in the 25 to 30HP range. I'm just trying to get people's opinions on different companies and reliability.
I have an older 18HP Kubota now but it's doesn't have enough power for my needs. It's a great tractor but it's time to upgrade. I don't need a mower but I do need front a end loader and rear PTO.
The downside is that my little Kubota has a cab and heat but it still fits in my garage with a 7' high door. The bigger tractors with cabs are too high so I'm going to have to buy one without a cab.
Kubota makes a great tractor but I'm looking to get opinions on Deere, Massey, Holland, and others. Reliability is my main concern.
I'm probably going to buy used but I want something fairly new with low hours but I haven't ruled out buying new from Tilton Kubota if I can't find something I like used.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:49 AM   #2
codeman671

I am doing the same research right now. I had a Deere 1025R which I sold over the summer. I wanted to add a backhoe, but found it was more cost-effective to buy a new one with one already on it than to add to mine (about $1500 more to go new over paying to add one).

I am focusing on the new 1025R and the 2032R. I plan on using a PTO debris blower on the back for leaves and am adding a grapple bucket for moving brush around on the island this spring. Backhoe, rear mount snowblower and loader too.

To add a cab is $4-6k these days depending on the model. Some are still capable of fitting in a garage.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:57 AM   #3
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
I am doing the same research right now. I had a Deere 1025R which I sold over the summer. I wanted to add a backhoe, but found it was more cost-effective to buy a new one with one already on it than to add to mine (about $1500 more to go new over paying to add one).

I am focusing on the new 1025R and the 2032R. I plan on using a PTO debris blower on the back for leaves and am adding a grapple bucket for moving brush around on the island this spring. Backhoe, rear mount snowblower and loader too.

To add a cab is $4-6k these days depending on the model. Some are still capable of fitting in a garage.
How did you like the Deere? I'm hearing that they have a lot of reliability issues lately. I looked at some 1025R's but I didn't feel it was big enough for my liking.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:01 AM   #4
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
How did you like the Deere? I'm hearing that they have a lot of reliability issues lately. I looked at some 1025R's but I didn't feel it was big enough for my liking.
Mine was great, other than 1 tire that kept losing air I didn't have any issues in 3 years of ownership.

They are testing out something for me today at the dealer. If the PTO blower I picked up will run on a 1025R I am going that way. It requires 18hp min at the pto, which is what the tractor specs out at. Otherwise I will go 2032R.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:09 AM   #5
Biggd

Quote:
Mine was great, other than 1 tire that kept losing air I didn't have any issues in 3 years of ownership.

They are testing out something for me today at the dealer. If the PTO blower I picked up will run on a 1025R I am going that way. It requires 18hp min at the pto, which is what the tractor specs out at. Otherwise I will go 2032R.
I just bought a chipper for mine and I find that the 18HP engine is not enough to use it to it's full potential. I love my little Kubota but I need bigger. Bigger engine, bigger bucket, bigger chassis.
Also the Kubota is very lite and even with 4 wheel drive and a weight bucket I find myself getting stuck in deep snow.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2017, 10:16 AM   #6
codeman671

Quote:
I just bought a chipper for mine and I find that the 18HP engine is not enough to use it to it's full potential. I love my little Kubota but I need bigger. Bigger engine, bigger bucket, bigger chassis.
Also the Kubota is very lite and even with 4 wheel drive and a weight bucket I find myself getting stuck in deep snow.
Is yours 18hp at the pto or the engine? The 1025r is at the pto. They do have chipper options that are supposed to run well at 18hp pto power.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:25 AM   #7
NH.Solar

If you can find a good used B7800 (B3030 with cab) it would be a great choice.
These are a bit longer than the smaller Bs and have a more powerful loader with a good lift height. I had one and sold it when I bought the L5230 I'm currently using. I've missed it since the day it left my yard! At some future point I'll be looking for A B3030 with a front mounted snowblower to go along with my L. The 63" front mounted blower on my B7800 actually moved snow faster than My L with a 72" bucket on front and a 78" rear mounted snowblower.
The smaller Deere compacts are somewhat limited because they only have a 2 range hydro whereas many competitors have 3. First is often too slow, 3rd lacking in torque, whereas 2nd is a great compromise for most working conditions.
You might also want to look at Kioti (Chichester), Mahindra (Hopkinton), and Yanmar (New Boston), they all also make great machinery.
George Ryan was the former owner of MB Tractor in Tilton and I recommend him highly. He has established a new Kioti dealership on Rte 4 just outside of Concord. His cell number is 387-0910, tell him I sent ya...
For non dealer service you can't do better than Jim Correia in New Hampton, 968-3783.
Biggd, are you running R4 tires? They are aren't worth a s... in the snow, both turfs and ags actually work better. If you add chains to the rear (Tirechains.com has great product and pricing) you should see a world of difference in traction. Also remove the counterweight for winter, by doing doing so you will regain more traction for your front wheels which will help with the steering.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:25 AM   #8
Biggd

Quote:
Is yours 18hp at the pto or the engine? The 1025r is at the pto. They do have chipper options that are supposed to run well at 18hp pto power.
Mine is 18 at the engine, I think it's 17 at the PTO. The chipper requires at least 480rpm's at the PTO which I have but I've noticed a lot of the newer tractors are 540RPM at the PTO.
The chipper is suppose to handle 3 1/2 inch limbs but if I put anything bigger than 2 to 2 1/2 inches through it the engine will want to stall.
But I know I need something more powerful because my little Kubota just doesn't handle the type of things I'm trying to do with it. It will do everything but just more slowly.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:26 AM   #9
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

We have a Deere 3320 purchased in 2005 that has 450 hours on it. Always runs, zero problems to date. Used with 7' landscape rake and back blade to maintain 600' steep gravel driveway. Got a PTO snowblower 2 years ago and then sold the plow truck. Really like the Deere e-hyrdo trans.
Attached Images

Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:32 AM   #10
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH.Solar View Post
If you can find a good used B7800 (B3030 with cab) it would be a great choice.
These are a bit longer than the smaller Bs and have a more powerful loader with a good lift height. I had one and sold it when I bought the L5230 I'm currently using. I've missed it since the day it left my yard! At some future point I'll be looking for A B3030 with a front mounted snowblower to go along with my L. The 63" front mounted blower on my B7800 actually moved snow faster than My L with a 72" bucket on front and a 78" rear mounted snowblower.
The smaller Deere compacts are somewhat limited because they only have a 2 range hydro whereas many competitors have 3. First is often too slow, 3rd lacking in torque, whereas 2nd is a great compromise for most working conditions.
You might also want to look at Kioti (Chichester), Mahindra (Hopkinton), and Yanmar (New Boston), they all also make great machinery.
George Ryan was the former owner of MB Tractor in Tilton and I recommend him highly. He has established a new Kioti dealership on Rte 4 just outside of Concord. His cell number is 387-0910, tell him I sent ya...
For non dealer service you can't do better than Jim Correia in New Hampton, 968-3783.
Good to know, thanks! Does Jim have a shop and does he work on all models? I'm in Meredith so he's close.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:39 AM   #11
Doobs41378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
We have a Deere 3320 purchased in 2005 that has 450 hours on it. Always runs, zero problems to date. Used with 7' landscape rake and back blade to maintain 600' steep gravel driveway. Got a PTO snowblower 2 years ago and then sold the plow truck. Really like the Deere e-hyrdo trans.

May be a dumb question but how uncomfortable is it to blow with it being behind you? Do you have to be half turned around the whole time?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:40 AM   #12
NH.Solar

Yup, he has a shop on Dana Hill Road just beyond Lower Oxbow on the right about a mile up from the Winona Road end. If you come to the Dirty Worm you've gone a bit too far.
Don't you love your chipper? I bought a 6" hydro feed Wallenstein with my B7800 and wondered if I was spending money foolishly. It is the most valued and used of all my implements! The 30 hp 7800 would run it just fine, but I did need to put rocks in the bucket when going up a really steep hill.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:47 AM   #13
Biggd

Quote:
Yup, he has a shop on Dana Hill Road just beyond Lower Oxbow on the right about a mile up from the Winona Road end. If you come to the Dirty Worm you've gone a bit too far.
Don't you love your chipper? I bought a 6" hydro feed Wallenstein with my B7800 and wondered if I was spending money foolishly. It is the most valued and used of all my implements! The 30 hp 7800 would run it just fine, but I did need to put rocks in the bucket when going up a really steep hill.
I will love the chipper more when I can put 3 1/2 limbs through it.
I had some trees cut down at my shop in Ma this summer. An outfit out of Billerica Ma. They had a chipper that pulverized 12" whole trees, very impressive.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:53 AM   #14
NH.Solar

Anytime you are running the chipper be sure the tractor is at wide open rpm, if you run it at less it will most surely plug up
Old 11-17-2017, 11:08 AM   #15
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobs41378 View Post
May be a dumb question but how uncomfortable is it to blow with it being behind you? Do you have to be half turned around the whole time?

I have a large rear view mirror on each side which helps but also have to partial turn quite a bit. Not as uncomfortable as you might think. I did not want to give up the FEL in the winter, it plays a role in sanding a steep section of the driveway.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:14 AM   #16
Biggd

Quote:
Anytime you are running the chipper be sure the tractor is at wide open rpm, if you run it at less it will most surely plug up
It's as wide open as it will go!
Old 11-17-2017, 02:18 PM   #17
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
I have a large rear view mirror on each side which helps but also have to partial turn quite a bit. Not as uncomfortable as you might think. I did not want to give up the FEL in the winter, it plays a role in sanding a steep section of the driveway.
Same here. I like the use of the front end loader as well and would not want to switch back and forth between front mount blower and loader. This time around I am going with hydraulic chute rotation though instead of hand cranking.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:22 PM   #18
Biggd

Anyone have any experience with Massey Ferguson?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 11-17-2017, 03:40 PM   #19
fatlazyless

craigslist-nh has a lot of different used tractors, here in NH, in their farm & garden section. Seems like pitching a low ball price to someone trying to sell their used tractor could maybe make a sale?

You know the routine ..... like, I am so broke, so poor, so out of money, I just feel so bad, and I really really need a used tractor to (do whatever) and this is all the money I can offer right now ..... wooda ....wooda.... wooda .....for your very well maintained and beautiful, old tractor..... so, what do think.....can we somehow make this tractor purchase happen?

If you can just lower your price some more on this here tractor, I will say a prayer for you in church on every Sunday morning for the next five years ....... bless you.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-18-2017 at 06:40 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:45 PM   #20
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
craigslist-nh has a lot of different used tractors, here in NH, in their farm & garden section. Seems like pitching a low ball price to someone trying to sell their used tractor could maybe make a sale?

You know the routine ..... like, I am so broke, so poor, so out of money, I just feel so bad, and I really really need a used tractor to (do whatever) and this is all the money I can offer right now ..... wooda ....wooda.... wooda .....for your very well maintained and beautiful, old tractor..... so, what do think.....can we somehow make this tractor purchase happen?

If you can just lower your price some more on this here tractor, I will say a prayer for you in church on every Sunday morning for the next five years ....... bless you.
There is a special place in hell for blatant, low ballers, in my opinion...most just throw a number at you with no dialog whatsoever...delete!
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:58 PM   #21
Biggd

I don't remember asking for negotiation skills. I asked about tractor recomendations.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:01 PM   #22
Biggd

Leave iy to fat and lazy to add his

Old 11-17-2017, 08:03 PM   #23
Biggd

Quote:
Leave iy to fat and lazy to add his

Did't finish, less than 2 cents worth.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:26 PM   #24
Juiced06GTO

I picked up a new Kubota B2610 last december, just crossing the 40hr mark on it and it is great. I have the front FEL w/60" quick attach bucket, front hydraulics, 7' backhoe on the rear and 54" mower deck. It does everything I have asked it to and then some. If I had more property I probably would have gone with the 2650 with a cab (factory AC and heat!!) I purchased at Chappell in Milford, NH. Alyssa there handles the financingg (i used to work with her) and Flip is the sales manager. All great people to deal with, with the 0% financing offered it was hard to justify buying used, especially since these tractors dont depreciate much!
Juiced06GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:28 PM   #25
Juiced06GTO

If you ever make it down to the central Mass area you are more than welcome to try mine out too.
Juiced06GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:44 PM   #26
Hillcountry

Quote:
I don't remember asking for negotiation skills. I asked about tractor recomendations.

Yeah I know...FLL threw me off course with his nonsensical diatribe. That said, I have owned 2 Kubota BX25D tractor/FEL/BH in the last 12 years and I can’t say enough good about them. First one was used in landscaping business and I bought one a few years ago when I retired and bought a home with 12 acres in the Lakes Region. The little tractors are real workhorses and they have done all I have asked and more. Hard to imagine being without one.
I mow 6 acres+ and use it for everything from hauling wood, clearing brush, landscaping, moving heavy objects, moving snow etc. With a couple of ad ons (I have a trenching/ripper tooth for the backhoe and a Ratchet Rake that goes on the bucket for clearing brush. What would take hours to clear takes minutes with this great tool. Highly recommend anything Kubota! Lots of aftermarket goodies for The BX series too!
Ditto on the 0% 5 year financing too... a no brainer in my book if you need a tractor.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:45 AM   #27
fatlazyless

Plus, wearing old clothes, good for doing yard work, and showing up in an old clunker car probably helps a lot, too. Like, if you show up driving a 20-25 thousand dollar vehicle, and look'n like LL Bean, that will not help at all to make a low price, bargain sale be happening. You need to look like you really need the tractor but ain't got no money because you is just too poor .... ayuh!

Maybe go buy a small bag of cow manure at Wal-mart, and rub some smelly manure onto your worn out, work boots ....... probably a smooth and smelly move ... hee-haw ..... wheeeoooo!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-19-2017 at 09:00 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:29 AM   #28
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Why must FLL always take forums off track.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:50 AM   #29
Biggd

I'm kind of leaning towards just trading mine in on a new Kubota. This way I don't have to deal with people like fat and lazy when I try to sell mine on my own. I'm not in a rush though so I'm going 2 look a a few used ones first.

Old 11-18-2017, 08:57 AM   #30
joey2665

Quote:
I'm kind of leaning towards just trading mine in on a new Kubota. This way I don't have to deal with people like fat and lazy when I try to sell mine on my own. I'm not in a rush though so I'm going 2 look a a few used ones first.

We love our Kubota. Never an issues very reliable. Its used for snow removal and the big job is about 3 acres of grass and raking the horse paddocks several times a day.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:22 AM   #31
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

We have a Kubota L3430, hydrostatic, cab model. 34HP/27 at PTO. I run a 63"front blower off the mid PTO, with hydraulic chute rotation and electric deflector.

Biggd, As NH Solar noted, R4 tires are not great in the snow, or really much else IMO. I am running the smaller turf tires so it will fit into the Morton building's somewhat small door (just measured height of tractor at 82").

I have a loader with oversized New Holland bucket with quick release, 72" rear finish mower and 15KW generator. It is set up exactly as I wanted as it will likely be the last modern tractor I need to buy. Kubota makes a great tractor.

I am in Moultonborough, you are welcome to check it out but the other tractor is way more fun to drive!
Attached Images

VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:29 AM   #32
VitaBene

Default forum

If you are not already, check out tractorbynet.com
Old 11-19-2017, 09:12 AM   #33
fatlazyless

Default ... mules & donkeys vs. the tractor?

Mechanical tractors have been in use for maybe 100-years, with mules or donkeys in use for hundreds or thousands of years before the tractor. Maybe the big switch from donkeys and mules over to the mechanical tractors came in the late 1940's after the WWII was over. Wasn't there a Civil War program starting in 1865 with the promise of '40-acres and a mule.' .... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forty_acres_and_a_mule .... coming from the federal gov.

It is not very common at all to see donkey's or mules in use any more for doing the work of a tractor.

Are there any donkeys or mules in use in the central NH area doing "tractor" type jobs such as plowing fields, removing fallen trees ..... anything that donkeys can do?
Old 11-19-2017, 09:25 AM   #34
Biggd

We know you are an expert on donkeys. Don't go away mad, jusy go away.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:12 PM   #35
joey2665

Quote:
We know you are an expert on donkeys. Don't go away mad, jusy go away.

Awesome!!!!

Old 11-19-2017, 07:45 PM   #36
Biggd

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
We have a Kubota L3430, hydrostatic, cab model. 34HP/27 at PTO. I run a 63"front blower off the mid PTO, with hydraulic chute rotation and electric deflector.

Biggd, As NH Solar noted, R4 tires are not great in the snow, or really much else IMO. I am running the smaller turf tires so it will fit into the Morton building's somewhat small door (just measured height of tractor at 82").

I have a loader with oversized New Holland bucket with quick release, 72" rear finish mower and 15KW generator. It is set up exactly as I wanted as it will likely be the last modern tractor I need to buy. Kubota makes a great tractor.

I am in Moultonborough, you are welcome to check it out but the other tractor is way more fun to drive!
That's a sweet tractor. I'm going to have to check that out at Tilton Kubota next weekend.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:09 AM   #37
chipj29

I also have a Deere 1025R, with loader and backhoe. Might be a bit small for you, but it is perfect for me. I love it, very easy to use and maintain.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:20 AM   #38
Biggd

What are the opinions on a shuttle shift as opposed to the HST. My Kubota is shuttle shift and I don't mind it. I'm not mowing with it, it's mostly for moving snow and digging, a lot of back and forth from forward to reverse.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:03 AM   #39
VitaBene

Default Hydro

In the past, I was a landscape contractor. We had 2 Kubota L series tractors and a Case 580K. All were shuttle shift of one form or another. The hydro is pretty awesome, and you will never have a clutch issue. Kubota hydrostatic transmissions require their "super" UDT oil, which is pricey.

I would not go back to any type of geared tranny, but it will cost you a HP or two at the PTO shaft.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:10 PM   #40
Biggd

Some one sent me a message about my tractor but it went to my junk mail and got deleted. If you could PM me or resend it I will respond to your questions.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:08 AM   #41
Slickcraft

Quote:
What are the opinions on a shuttle shift as opposed to the HST. My Kubota is shuttle shift and I don't mind it. I'm not mowing with it, it's mostly for moving snow and digging, a lot of back and forth from forward to reverse.
I only have experience with the Deere e-hydro:
http://salesmanual.deere.com/sales/s...sion_4020.html

For a given gear range, A, B or C, and throttle setting, pressing a peddle down (F or R) slowly increases the effective gear ratio from stopped to slow to faster. The change is very smooth giving very good control. Backing up to hook an implement to the 3PH the HST provides precise position control. Let up on the peddle and the tractor is locked in position. Need to move forward or back half an inch and stop, no problem.

Another good feature is the Deere "load match". Pushing the FEL into a pile of gravel automatically reduce the effective gear ratio to maintain torque and prevent stalling.
Old 11-23-2017, 05:27 PM   #42
Rusty

This looks like a good deal if you want a few extra attachments:

https://nh.craigslist.org/grd/d/trac...398240757.html
Old 11-23-2017, 06:08 PM   #43
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
This looks like a good deal if you want a few extra attachments:

https://nh.craigslist.org/grd/d/trac...398240757.html
It also screams scammer....
Old 11-23-2017, 07:49 PM   #44
Formula260SS

Quote:
It also screams scammer....
Where do I wire my money....
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:20 PM   #45
MBNeckguy

Quote:
I previously had a Kubota Grand L2900. The power shuttle on it was pretty fantastic, no clutching to go into reverse or shift gears but it was never as precise as the hydrostatic transmission I now have on my newer CK35 Kioti. I can do very detailed cleanup work in the horse paddock with a landscape rake, it saves me a ton of time as well as broken fence rails. That said the 32 horse Kubota was definitely the more powerful of the two in terms of pulling and pushing capacity. Both had R4 tires (loaded in the rear) and I never had trouble getting enough power to the ground, even in snow without chains.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
MBNeckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 02:06 PM   #46
fatlazyless

Default 1949 Ford 8N w/ snow plow

For $3500 or b/o, the old Jeep restorer guy in Holderness has a grey Ford 8N tractor parked next to Rt 25-3, close to Camp Deerwood, with a 'for sale' description.

"runs good, brakes work, Hupp underdrive, Deerborn snow plow (about 6' wide), tire chains, $3500 or b/o, 603-279-0401"

It looks totally super-duper, color Ford grey.....and, I would snap it up in two seconds except I already got too much stuff on my 1/4-acre wf lot .... plus have no good use for a plow like this, not that that normally makes any difference. Like, what the hay, like who really needs a good reason to go buy a 1949 Ford tractor as nice as this one?

Has some serious look'n farm field traction tires with a strong set of tire chains installed .... and a power take-off in the rear awaiting to power whatever.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:27 PM   #47
codeman671

Quote:
I'm looking to buy a newer compact tractor in the 25 to 30HP range. I'm just trying to get people's opinions on different companies and reliability.
I have an older 18HP Kubota now but it's doesn't have enough power for my needs. It's a great tractor but it's time to upgrade. I don't need a mower but I do need front a end loader and rear PTO.
The downside is that my little Kubota has a cab and heat but it still fits in my garage with a 7' high door. The bigger tractors with cabs are too high so I'm going to have to buy one without a cab.
Kubota makes a great tractor but I'm looking to get opinions on Deere, Massey, Holland, and others. Reliability is my main concern.
I'm probably going to buy used but I want something fairly new with low hours but I haven't ruled out buying new from Tilton Kubota if I can't find something I like used.
How did you end up making out?

I am taking delivery on a B2601 with a bunch of implements this week. Can't wait!
Old 12-13-2017, 05:57 PM   #48
Biggd

Quote:
How did you end up making out?

I am taking delivery on a B2601 with a bunch of implements this week. Can't wait!
I have been looking at quite a few used tractors over the past month but most people want almost as much as they paid for them new. I haven't looked at new yet but I'm leaning towards just going to Tilton Kubota and putting up 5K and just take the 0% financing.
I'm in no particular rush because my little 18HP Kubota will move snow and it has a cab with heat. So I may just wait until spring now.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:26 PM   #49
Hillcountry

Quote:
I have been looking at quite a few used tractors over the past month but most people want almost as much as they paid for them new. I haven't looked at new yet but I'm leaning towards just going to Tilton Kubota and putting up 5K and just take the 0% financing.
I'm in no particular rush because my little 18HP Kubota will move snow and it has a cab with heat. So I may just wait until spring now.
Every time I go by MB tractor I drool over their inventory! I would love to have a heated cab for my BX25D. What kind of cab do you have on your 18 horse?
I just ordered a BXpanded snow plow that goes right on the bucket...could have used it yesterday but had to hoof it with the snowblower then do touch up with the Kubota. A heated cab would be like heaven!
Old 12-14-2017, 07:22 AM   #50
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
Every time I go by MB tractor I drool over their inventory! I would love to have a heated cab for my BX25D. What kind of cab do you have on your 18 horse?
I just ordered a BXpanded snow plow that goes right on the bucket...could have used it yesterday but had to hoof it with the snowblower then do touch up with the Kubota. A heated cab would be like heaven!
I have a Curtis cab with soft doors on mine with a added heater. That's why I haven't been quick to buy yet. It has to be just the right tractor at a reasonable deal or I will just keep what I got. It's my first tractor and it works great but I just feel I could do more in a lot less time with one that was a little bigger. A little more HP, a bigger bucket with a little more lifting capacity. I almost bought a 30 HP Massey Ferguson a few weeks ago but I thought it was too big. After looking at some others I realized it was a good deal and called the guy back but I was too late.
I have to do some digging this spring and I've been looking at tooth bars. I may just buy one of those and I think it will get the job done even with 18HP.
How much snow did we get? I will be up on Friday to play in my tractor.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:57 AM   #51
Hillcountry

Quote:
I have a Curtis cab with soft doors on mine with a added heater. That's why I haven't been quick to buy yet. It has to be just the right tractor at a reasonable deal or I will just keep what I got. It's my first tractor and it works great but I just feel I could do more in a lot less time with one that was a little bigger. A little more HP, a bigger bucket with a little more lifting capacity. I almost bought a 30 HP Massey Ferguson a few weeks ago but I thought it was too big. After looking at some others I realized it was a good deal and called the guy back but I was too late.
I have to do some digging this spring and I've been looking at tooth bars. I may just buy one of those and I think it will get the job done even with 18HP.
How much snow did we get? I will be up on Friday to play in my tractor.
We got dumped on West of Winni..12-14” of powder, thankfully!
I have had a tooth bar before and it will give you lots more digging ability.
BXPanded sells one that guys rave about. I have a ratchet rake for my bucket which is great for grading and ripping out undergrowth. I also have a ripper tooth for the backhoe with a trencher adapter...great for stump removal!
Can’t beat these little Kubotas!

Last edited by Hillcountry; 12-14-2017 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:39 PM   #52
Biggd

After experiencing the continuing cold this weekend I think I will just keep my little Kubota with a cab and heater. I just couldn't imagine doing all the snow removal and lugging my wood in with no cab and heat.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:12 AM   #53
Biggd

Thumbs up

Just a quick update. I finally found a bigger tractor that fits my needs at a reasonable price. I bought a one owner 2003 Kubota B2710 HST with about 800 hours. It's just the right size, 27HP 4cyl, with a Curtis cab and heat. It doesn't look much different than my little 18HP 3cyl but I'm sure the added engine power will be sufficient for my needs. Even though it's not much different than what I have now I'm excited like a little kid with a new toy. I'm picking it up this week and can't wait to try it out!
After the cold we had this winter I realized I could not operate a tractor in that cold without a cab and heater.
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
gator8 (05-21-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 07:30 AM   #54
joey2665

I agree. Cab and heat is a must. I did snow removal at LaGuardia and JFK airports for about 15 years with front end loaders. Miserable without a closed in cab and heat.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:07 AM   #55
Biggd

I just hope it fits in my garage. I only have a 7' door. I forgot to measure it.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:24 PM   #56
Hillcountry

Congrats on the Kubota!
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
Biggd (05-19-2018)