Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-08-2009, 09:10 AM   #1
Bigstan

Default Scenic Dr. Marker/Grave?

I think it's called Scenic Drive anyways (that runs from the Weirs and brings you to the Broken Antler)? Heading towards the Antler on the left hand side a couple of feet off the road is a marker/gravestone with a couple of flags or ribbons tied next to it. I always want to stop and look but there really isn't a place to do so.

Anyone know what this is?
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:38 PM   #2
Bigstan

Default Answered my own question - Samuel Torry

So over a year later I answered my own question (partially). Here is a pic of what I was referring to. Not visible are 4 small square stones that form a square about 4ft around this marker. Note the small 'u' in between the M and L of SAML, and the partially visible deaths head logo in the top center of the crest (popular in 17th and 18th century graves from what I have seen).

Google searching shows a Samuel Torry from Canterbury at that time, and if you spell Torry as Torrey plenty more from the Rev War period in Vermont and MA pop up. I fine plenty of references to a Samuel Torrey from Cantebury that dont quite say he was a rev war vet, but the timing is right.

Why this marker is on the side of the road on a back entrance to the Weirs is beyond me, though the area 15ft off the side of the road does seem to be cut down and well maintained. The pic was taken from my car, as there is a small area to turn off, but it is a blind curve and I would hate to park there for any period.

Any additional feedback/info would be appreciated, I have been looking at this for 30+ years and would love to know the origin. It certainly doesn't look 200+ years old (all the Samuel Torry/Torrey's I found died in the early 1800's)........here's hoping someone can shed some light.
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2011, 09:29 PM   #3
Argie's Wife

Interesting that the spelling of Mr. Torrey's last name here is "Tory", which is the same spelling as the word used to describe British loyalists during that time. I know that names can be misspelled or words spelled very differently, as there was little standards/style in English in the past.

I found mention of him HERE and it might explain the location of the grave, etc.:

TORREY

Samuel Torrey, a Revolutionary soldier, lived down near the lake, opposite the so-called "Roller Coaster Road." He was buried in his field on a knoll of dry land, where since a road has been built by the side of their graves. His wife was laid beside him. The present road passes Mr. Watson's. Their children:

Samuel, Jr., b. 1751.
Daniel, b. 1752.
Mercy, b. 1756.
Hannah, b. 1759.
William, b. 1761.
Martha, b. 1764.

He is also named in Meredith's first town meeting:

On June 16, 1768 New Salem was officially incorporated, under the name of MEREDITH.

June 13, 1769 the proprietors now of MEREDITH met at the house of Caleb Johnson, innholder, at Exeter and John Folsom, Jeremy Smith and Captain John Odlin were accepted as second settlers.

According to the records, the first proprietors meeting held in Meredith was at the dwelling house of Ebenezer Smith, Esq. on September 17, 1778. At this first town meeting the following officers were voted: Moderator: William Mead; Town Clerk, Ebenezer Smith; Selectmen, Ebenezer Smith, Ruben Marston and Ebenezer Pitman; Constable, Nicholas Carr Folsom; "Servairs" of Highways, Abraham Folsom and Ruben Marston; Tythingmen, Thomas Danford and Ebenezer Pitman; Assesssors, Abraham Folsom and Robert Bryent; Auditors, Abraham Folsom & Robert Bryent; Fence Viewers, Samuel Torrey and Abraham Folsom.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:40 PM   #4
Bigstan

Default Saw that too....

I found that link as well. I questioned it as there was an E added to Torry.

The marker (grave?) was not spelled Tory. Had it said Tory I imagine that would be a knowlingly veiled joke to call out a collaborator who would likely have run far away after the war. I doubt it was the one mentioned in your post as there is no marker for the wife. That and the lack of birth and death dates makes me think it is a marker and not a grave.

That must have been a common name as historical records are plentiful with that last name, though none that I can see from that area.

Hopefully others can chime in with more info?
Old 07-17-2011, 10:03 PM   #5
Argie's Wife

As I look more closely as the marker, I see it's "Torry" - not tory, as I had thought when I first looked at it.

I've seen variations on the spellings of surnames - even very simple ones, such as Brown (Browne, Brun, Brune, etc.) that can throw you for a loop when you're doing research on a family line.

I'm not sure if the additional information I've found is legit, as the dates are very off from the first reference I posted from the history of Meredith.

Here's what else I've found (LINK: http://www.torreygenealogy.com/Massa...3/PS03_311.htm)

Sergeant Samuel Torry was born 22 Jun 1753 in Leicester, MA, the son of Abel Torrey and Mary Jillison. He married Sabra Herrick (b 1 May 1756, d. 14 Aug 1794). She was the daughter of Robert Herrick and Abiah Hill. Samuel and Sabra were married 13 Jan 1785. They had five children, and the birth of Samuel Jr. (b. 1790, d. 1813) is well-documented as being in Meredith.

Samuel married a total of three times. His second marriage was to Hester Allen (b. 2 May 1764, d. 7 May 1795). They married 5 Jan 1795. (Note; they were only married about four months when Hester died.) His third wife, Olive (Smalley) Gaines (b. 15 Jan 1765, d. 23 Nov 1883), (m. 1 Oct 1795) produced seven more children.

Lived at Leicester, Mass., Rutland, Guilford, Orwell and Sudbury, Vt. and Meredith, N. H.

Samuel Torrey died 15 Nov 1838 in Sudbury, VT.

Sources: http://www.torreygenealogy.com/Massa...3/PS03_311.htm

Last edited by Argie's Wife; 07-17-2011 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Eureka moment....
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links