Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2016, 04:08 PM   #1
sky's

Default looking for feedback on Fair Point internet

just switched over to Direct TV from time warner next step is to possibly try Fair Point to lower monthly bills i live in Moultonboro very close to rte 25 any feedback good or bad????
sky's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:30 PM   #2
JTA

We use Fairpoint internet on Cow Island. I am happy with the service, cost and speed. We use Apple computers and Apple TV streaming Netflix. Works great most of the time.
JTA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JTA For This Useful Post:
sky's (01-13-2016)
Old 01-13-2016, 06:14 PM   #3
wifi

You will need to give them a call to see what your line(s) are capable of. Find out if you can be part of the new technology (as opposed to the legacy, which services such areas as Suissevale, with a max speed of 3). They also offer bonding, where if you have multiple lines, they combine the speeds of multiple lines into your house/business.

As far as reliability, I haven't heard recent problems, early on (years ago), yes, but not more than Time Warner now.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wifi For This Useful Post:
sky's (01-13-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 01:15 PM   #4
rgilfert

Default FairPoint

We have used FairPoint DSL on Rattlesnake for the last three years. Clearly it's not as fast as Comcast cable is in our winter home.....but the difference over using our Verizon cellular data plan (as we used to do on the island) is a quantum improvement (speed, cost and reliability).
rgilfert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rgilfert For This Useful Post:
sky's (01-14-2016)
Old 01-16-2016, 08:21 AM   #5
Fishy Cover

Default Fairpoint Service

Approx 3 years ago at 9:45 AM on a Monday morning a winter storm knocked a tree down on our dead end street, breaking the power line, Metrocast Internet and Fair Point telephone line.

I reported the interruption using my cell phone. NH Coop removed the tree and had power restored by 11:30 and Metrocast was up by noon. It took Fairpoint until 1 PM on the following FRIDAY to restore service. I cancelled Fairpoint the following Monday and switched to Internet phone by Metrocast. I have never regretted the switch, and it even saves money.
Fishy Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2016, 11:02 PM   #6
jazzman

OK, so I confess I'm on an island.... Fairpoint works really well until it breaks... Then it usually takes then 2 weeks or so to fix it. It doesn't break very often and there really aren't any other choices, so I deal with it by having cell backup.

My web cam did manage to stay alive all last winter (with the help of a timer that power cycles the modem once a day)
jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:35 AM   #7
radar4401

Default Fairpoint

I used to have Fairpoint in Wolfeboro and was satisfied with the service until I wanted to get a higher speed and it wasn't available at the time. I would check out the speed first before signing up. When I talked to a service rep. recently, he suggested I try it for a month before switching. Then you can evaluate the service and see if it is adequate for your needs. I would consider switching back if their line speed improves if nothing more than to support the local phone company. I like to have a land line for the reliability factor.
radar4401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:05 AM   #8
2islandboy

Default Island Internet

For islanders, with generator backup, or even a large UPS, the big advantage of Fairpoint DSL over cable is that cable requires amplifiers both on and off the island, whereas DSL runs copper from island homes to the mainland, where it connects to fiber lines. If one of the three cable amplifiers between my home and the mainland loses power, I'm dead. With DSL, all the equipment is on the mainland, so no power, no problem. When my backup generator is on, I have DSL internet, over copper lines clear to the mainland. Except for cut phone lines, Fairpoint can service me from the mainland. Metrocast must come to the island to access amplifiers and cable taps. I don't want TV, so no loss without cable.
2islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:56 AM   #9
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2islandboy View Post
For islanders, with generator backup, or even a large UPS, the big advantage of Fairpoint DSL over cable is that cable requires amplifiers both on and off the island, whereas DSL runs copper from island homes to the mainland, where it connects to fiber lines. If one of the three cable amplifiers between my home and the mainland loses power, I'm dead. With DSL, all the equipment is on the mainland, so no power, no problem. When my backup generator is on, I have DSL internet, over copper lines clear to the mainland. Except for cut phone lines, Fairpoint can service me from the mainland. Metrocast must come to the island to access amplifiers and cable taps. I don't want TV, so no loss without cable.
Though, it may be true for your island, it is a big assumption not to believe that Fairpoint doesn't have SLICs on other islands, where they have run out of cable pairs to the mainland. SLICs do require local power on the island, but have (small) backup batteries.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:12 PM   #10
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

Like many other islanders we use Fairpoint DSL as it is our only option other than cell data. We get a fairly consistent 1.5 to 1.6 Mbps down and about 0.5 up. Enough for web browsing and Netflix.

We had no issues in all of 2015.

In 2014 we had an outage due to trees down and another time a router that went bad due to a voltage surge. Customer service was a real pain to deal with. At that time the traditional plain old telephone service (POTS) part of the company was totally separate from the DSL part. A call to line repair about the severed lines directed me to internet service as we had only DSL. A call to internet service told me that I had to talk to line repair. A call back to line repair and I said that I could see the severed 26 pair cable out back. The line repair rep asked "What is 26 pair cable, how do you know that it is phone line"? Sigh. I finally got to talk to a supervisor who actually had some clue as to phone lines. After a bit, a trouble "ticket" was finally issued.

Hopefully they are more integrated now. We did get the bad router fixed, I happened to see a lineman out back climbing a pole. He had not got the trouble ticket yet but took care of the problem anyway.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 03:29 PM   #11
MDoug

Default Fairpoint

We keep Fairpoint because the phone and DSL stay on during power outages.
Have had good service from their tech support and service guys.
MDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:20 AM   #12
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Huges Net

Anyone have any luck with satellite internet? A friend of mine gave them a call and their new Gen 4 technology promises up to 15 mbps in speed. As fast or in most areas faster than DSL. Huges claim it is available on the lake.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:07 AM   #13
wifi

Be sure to check out their "fair access" policy, and be able to take into account high latency (no way to overcome the time it takes for radio waves to reach space and back). Trying to ssh over one would be nerve wracking.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:25 AM   #14
BroadHopper

Default Latency vs Ping

I'm assuming they are one and the same. Metrocast in Laconia with high speed internet subscription averages around 20ms. They claim after the last upgrade I should see 35 mbps. The latest mbps is 20, the same as it has been since I upgraded the router to DOCSIS 3.0.

My neighbor has Fairpoint DSL, which average around 10 mbps with average ping around 5 ms. His browsing speed appears faster than mine. Is it because of the ping?

Both testing is done over a year time span with speedtest.net.

Comments wifi?
Old 01-30-2016, 10:50 AM   #15
radar4401

Default Internet

For the person who asked about Hughes Gen4, I haven't heard many good reports about it. Unlike Directv (which I've had for 20+years and love), a lot people have had problems. I know a couple of people who have had it and they couldn't get it to work. Also, it's very expensive. Just be wary.
radar4401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 10:54 AM   #16
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I'm assuming they are one and the same. Metrocast in Laconia with high speed internet subscription averages around 20ms. They claim after the last upgrade I should see 35 mbps. The latest mbps is 20, the same as it has been since I upgraded the router to DOCSIS 3.0.

My neighbor has Fairpoint DSL, which average around 10 mbps with average ping around 5 ms. His browsing speed appears faster than mine. Is it because of the ping?

Comments wifi?
Not one an the same as ground based ping time.. As wifi stated it has to do with radio wave propagation time. The satellite is about 22,200 miles up. Click on a link and the request goes up & down, then up and down again with the reply. Over 88K miles overall. Here the latency time would be about 477ms added to whatever the ping time would be from the satellite ground station to the web site server and back.

The speed of light is finite.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:43 PM   #17
SIKSUKR

186,000 miles per second. And yet that star I'm looking at took 1 few million years for the light to get here? Yikes!
Old 02-01-2016, 02:13 PM   #18
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts

Quote:
Anyone have any luck with satellite internet? A friend of mine gave them a call and their new Gen 4 technology promises up to 15 mbps in speed. As fast or in most areas faster than DSL. Huges claim it is available on the lake.
I looked into it last year before I had a 1/4 mile trench dug for Metrocast. I decided against it because of bandwidth limitations and also because they will not give you a static IP address. My home security system requires a static IP not to mention the bandwidth required to run it.

The other thing to remember with satellite is weather drastically affects speed. The speed they are advertising is under perfect weather conditions, add any kind of bad weather whatsoever and expect your speed to be cut in half or more!

Dan
Old 02-01-2016, 04:00 PM   #19
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I looked briefly at Huges Net, but the down side to them is they cap your overall monthly consumption which can be a problem if you are a heavy user. From a price standpoint they aren't terribly competitive either, so clearly they are not necessarily interested in going head to head price wise with hard line cable/DSL carriers.

Can't comment on their service as a whole as I have never used it. I do however had DirecTV and it can be sensitive as Dan says to weather conditions. Heavy duty downpours, thunderheads or snow squalls can interfere with your signal.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:05 PM   #20
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
186,000 miles per second. And yet that star I'm looking at took 1 few million years for the light to get here? Yikes!
I does not sound anyway near as fast if you tell someone that light travels only about one foot per nano-second.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:07 PM   #21
wifi

Quote:

Comments wifi?
Yes, I was referring to Satellite lag time. Browsing speeds and download speed really have some skeletons in the closet.

I have Time Warner at my house. Typically, in the earlier times, ISP's would use "bursting" to give an allusion of snappier browsing. This is where they give you a fixed time or amount of data, before dropping you back to a lower speed. Heavy downloaders get penalized, rightfully, for a fixed resource i.e. total network bandwidth.

If you run a test on, say: speedtest.net you can see the "speedometer" and graph and get a feel for your speed over a few seconds. My Time Warner residential account, get a very slowly building up to my paid for bandwidth, before the test terminates. Their test takes the maximum speed it sees and reports that as your bandwidth. Well, it always comes up to close to my speed, before the test terminates. So, one has to wonder what happens after that ??? Why build it up slow ?

So, I go to www.thinkbroadband.com/download.html and download their 1 gig file, and it shows roughly 10 Meg(vs the 30 purchased) download speed. So, TW uses a reverse burst method, to fool the tests, then drops it way down to throttle downloads. I don't fault them, they can't support everyone running full speed over forever. I see that problem too, they have fixed resources, just like I do.

So, in answer to your Verizon vs Metrocast experiences, there is a lot in play behind the scenes with bandwidth shaping.

Last edited by wifi; 02-01-2016 at 08:41 PM. Reason: clarity
The Following User Says Thank You to wifi For This Useful Post:
Lakegeezer (02-01-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 11:36 AM   #22
BroadHopper

Default Netflix / Vudu streaming

Based on the observations above, Metrocast must be throttling way back their speed based on usage. When I do the test for these apps, the tests shows plenty of speed to streamline the movies at HD mode. Yet halfway through a movie I almost always lose connection due to insufficient speed. It's a PITA and I have yet to be able to watch a full movie at the advertised 20/35 mbps speed!