Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-11-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
Flyfisha

Default MV MT Kearsarge sinks

Last evening the MV Kearsarge dinner boat sank in Sunapee harbor.
Attached Images

Flyfisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #2
RLW

Smile

I heard that on the TV, but I have not heard of a cause as yet. Has anyone else heard how it happened???
Old 01-11-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
Just Sold

From WMUR/WCVB

SUNAPEE, N.H. —A dinner cruise boat is sinking into a New Hampshire lake.

Sunapee police said the MV Kearsarge Restaurant Ship started to take on water on Lake Sunapee Thursday night.

Authorities said the ship started to go under at about 7:45 p.m. They said they were alerted to the situation after someone heard the ropes snapping.

Marine Patrol, the Department of Environmental Services and Clean Harbors have all been contacted. Clean Harbors set up a boom around the ship Thursday night. Marine Patrol is heading back to the scene Friday to assess the situation.

At this time, authorities are trying to figure out how to raise the boat out of the water. Sunapee's

Old 01-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

watch video here.... http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/MV-...z/-/index.html
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
Sal (01-11-2013)
Old 01-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #5
Flyfisha

Default Afloat again!

Thanks to the gallant effort of many agencies and contractors the Kearsarge sits afloat once again in Sunapee Harbor!! What a sight throughout the day watching her raised.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flyfisha For This Useful Post:
Jeanzb1 (01-13-2013), KPW (01-13-2013), Resident 2B (01-12-2013), trfour (01-13-2013), Waterbaby (01-18-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2013, 04:41 PM   #6
Flyfisha

Default Update

Just left harbor. Mechanic working on starting engines and family cleaning!!!

What a wonderful sight to see her afloat on her own again!
Old 01-13-2013, 10:35 PM   #7
HellRaZoR004

Any word on the cause?
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:35 AM   #8
Greene's Basin Girl

There didn't appear to be any bubbler's around it and I think it had a wooden hull.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:02 AM   #9
Flyfisha

It did have circulation and it was a steel hull. No official word as of yet as to the cause.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:17 PM   #10
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl View Post
There didn't appear to be any bubbler's around it and I think it had a wooden hull.
I thought the same thing, every picture I looked at looked like the ice was right up to it. I did see one picture think it was from the stern and it looked like open water. Was talking to someone else and they said same thing.

Just heard on channel 9 new it was a eraser the size a pencil that was where all the water came from.

Last edited by Winnisquamguy; 01-15-2013 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Spelling
Winnisquamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:58 PM   #11
Flyfisha

Default Cause found

It was a hole the size of a pencil eraser in a sea valve leading to one of the engines.

[URL="http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/Owners-Pencil-eraser-sized-hole-led-to-sinking-of-MV-Kearsarge/-/9857858/18134378/-/3nxo2lz/-/index.h"]

Last edited by Flyfisha; 01-15-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:33 PM   #12
Flyfisha

Default Update

The latest info says she sustained rudder damage and will have to come out of the lake for repairs.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #13
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisha View Post
It was a hole the size of a pencil eraser in a sea valve leading to one of the engines.

[URL="http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/Owners-Pencil-eraser-sized-hole-led-to-sinking-of-MV-Kearsarge/-/9857858/18134378/-/3nxo2lz/-/index.h"]
I'm continually amazed at the stories that people Make Up. An "Eraser Sized Hole" in a "sea valve"...??? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

OK: An eraser sized hole will be about a quarter inch in diameter at "natural pressure." An On Board Bilge Pump (One inch in daimeter) will be MORE than capable of keeping up with the natural stream from a quarter inch hole. ..Don't you think...?? NB

There must be a Full Moon tonight......
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #14
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
I'm continually amazed at the stories that people Make Up. An "Eraser Sized Hole" in a "sea valve"...??? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

OK: An eraser sized hole will be about a quarter inch in diameter at "natural pressure." An On Board Bilge Pump (One inch in daimeter) will be MORE than capable of keeping up with the natural stream from a quarter inch hole. ..Don't you think...?? NB
Until the batteries run out... Or the pump burned up... Or the pump impeller broke or jammed on a piece of debris.

Was it plugged in to shore power? Was the bilge pump working? Was the output unrestricted?

Have you never seen or heard of a boat sinking from a leak that could have been handled by its bilge pump, but Murphy got involved and things didn't work as expected?
KPW (01-18-2013), Waterbaby (01-18-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 12:33 AM   #15
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Seems to come from onsite sources through WMUR

Quote:

Here is the report per WMUR:

http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/Own...z/-/index.html

I learned a long time ago that just about anything is possible. AsBrkInt said, once the battery goes out...

Oh, and it is almost a new moon .
Old 01-16-2013, 08:18 AM   #16
rrr

Quote:

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot - love it! will have to remember that one

thanks
rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:02 AM   #17
Winnisquamguy

Quote:

Can I ask YOU why they would lie about it? What do they really gain by lying? Do you not think people tell the truth very often or is it just this story?
Old 01-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #18
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
Can I ask YOU why they would lie about it? What do they really gain by lying? Do you not think people tell the truth very often or is it just this story?
The problem is the Media aren't knowledable enough to ask the right questions, so they print whatever they are told.

Just as aside, any boat owner who leaves the boat in the water in the winter without Shore Power being hooked up is being just a little bit reckless. A 66 foot boat will have more than one bilge pump. Just sayin'. NB
Old 01-16-2013, 10:20 AM   #19
Smith Point

Definition of a boat; A boat is a hole in the water in witch one throws money. Murphy’s law applies every time I take my boat out, “anything that can go wrong will go wrong”. Over the sumer I was crusing down the lake and felt a strange vibration, thinking that I picked up something in the prop, throtaled back and investagated the situation, everythin looks good, so started back at headway speed, ill check it out when we get back to camp. Next thing you know “zinnng” no power to the prop! Talk about dead in the water, called Andrews Marine for a tow in.
(thanks Andrew) come to find out I broke the drive shaft! WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT! So the moral of the story is, thank god the MV MT Kearsarge diddent have that problem during a dinner cruise.
Smith Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #20
ITD

I figure about 44 gallons per hour from a 1/4 inch hole at 12 inches below the water line. So that would be a little over 1,000 gallons per day, which would take a couple days to be a problem for a large boat like this one or probably less than a day for a little boat when bilge pumps fail.

( I extrapolated numbers from a bilge company site, wondering if other engineering types come up with similar....)
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #21
NoBozo

A few years ago I did some calculations to see how long it would take for my 2700 pound runabout to sink IF I forgot to put the transom drain plug in place before I launched the boat. I seem to remember the answer was about 12 minutes. The drain hole was one inch.

So you might ask,..what would cause me to go to that effort..? When I first got the boat I DID Forget the drain plug on ONE occassion. Fortunately I was still near the launch ramp when I saw the bilge pump go on and was able to get the boat back on the trailer in time. NB
Old 01-16-2013, 11:47 AM   #22
ITD

Quote:
A few years ago I did some calculations to see how long it would take for my 2700 pound runabout to sink IF I forgot to put the transom drain plug in place before I launched the boat. I seem to remember the answer was about 12 minutes. The drain hole was one inch.

So you might ask,..what would cause me to go to that effort..? When I first got the boat I DID Forget the drain plug on ONE occassion. Fortunately I was still near the launch ramp when I saw the bilge pump go on and was able to get the boat back on the trailer in time. NB

A one inch hole 12 inches below the surface will leak 2,700 liters per hour or about 710 gallons per hour. Or about 6,000 pounds an hour.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:17 PM   #23
NoBozo

Hey ITD: I've been going crazy trying to find my "numbers" for how long a 2700 pound boat will take to sink with the plug missing. I'm thinking I used the "Torricelli Theorem". You mentioned you found a table in a bilge pump site that makes this easy. Can you post that site. I'm always curious about such things. NB
Old 01-16-2013, 10:24 PM   #24
ITD

Quote:
Hey ITD: I've been going crazy trying to find my "numbers" for how long a 2700 pound boat will take to sink with the plug missing. I'm thinking I used the "Torricelli Theorem". You mentioned you found a table in a bilge pump site that makes this easy. Can you post that site. I'm always curious about such things. NB

I looked too, found some sites that had flow equations, but I ended up with the site below that showed a few examples. I just read through the article a little more closely, I think it is some pretty good stuff. I extrapolated based on the hole diameter as the only variable when I calculated for the 1/4 inch hole and just used a ratio of hole areas to calculate the differences. I wasn't up to spending the time to figure out the equations myself, sometimes a close approximation is good enough.

http://www.safety-marine.co.uk/spage...our-vessel.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
NoBozo (01-17-2013)
Old 01-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #25
SIKSUKR

I use the 3 stooges method.If you have a drain hole with water coming in then drill 2 more holes to let it out.
ITD (01-18-2013)
Old 01-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #26
Waterbaby

Quote:

I do believe I remember you posting that when it happened, lol -- and you never ever forgot to check for it again!
Old 01-19-2013, 06:21 AM   #27
mikea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
I use the 3 stooges method.If you have a drain hole with water coming in then drill 2 more holes to let it out.
OK.. I dig the concept but I'm a little worried about the theory of matching hole sizes...Why you ask...

So the original drain hole is say 1" diameter and you drill two further holes each being of 3/4" diameter to drain the water out. So the outflow therefore = 1.5 x the inflow so before to long the inflow is overtaken by the outflow with the outflow becoming the inflow...

Solution is obviously to drill another 1" hole to assist the inflow that has become an outflow to once again become an inflow...

But darn it, once you've done this the original inflow that became an outflow before subsequently becoming an inflow again is now defeating the outflow holes that became inflows before becoming outflow yet again...

and so the (w)hole thing continues until... guess what?
mikea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:02 PM   #28
Mirror Lake's BB

Default You Knuckleheads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikea View Post
OK.. I dig the concept but I'm a little worried about the theory of matching hole sizes...Why you ask...

So the original drain hole is say 1" diameter and you drill two further holes each being of 3/4" diameter to drain the water out. So the outflow therefore = 1.5 x the inflow so before to long the inflow is overtaken by the outflow with the outflow becoming the inflow...

Solution is obviously to drill another 1" hole to assist the inflow that has become an outflow to once again become an inflow...

But darn it, once you've done this the original inflow that became an outflow before subsequently becoming an inflow again is now defeating the outflow holes that became inflows before becoming outflow yet again...

and so the (w)hole thing continues until... guess what?
Based on your theory, the flow should be proportional to the area and not the diameter!

Moe
Mirror Lake's BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #29
mikea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror Lake's BB View Post
Based on your theory, the flow should be proportional to the area and not the diameter!

Moe
He-He... I think based upon my theory I have some grey matter gone walkabout!...
Old 01-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #30
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror Lake's BB View Post

Moe
This is actually correct: The original Torricelli Theorem formula uses Area Vs Diameter. The trouble with engineering formulas is you have to get ALL the UNITS at the same level...ie: compatible with each other.

You can juggle all the units...but it can be Tedious.

What that means is: You cant Mix MPH and Meters per second in the same formula. NB
Old 01-20-2013, 05:53 AM   #31
mikea

Hmm! maybe it's also about where any theoretical holes would be drilled?...

Bottom of the hull maybe slightly more inconvenient than just below the gunnels don't you think!

and please forgive my ignorance but what is the difference between a hole that is 1" in diameter and the area of a hole that is 1" in diameter? surely they are the same!
Old 01-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #32
NoBozo

Quote:
Hmm! maybe it's also about where any theoretical holes would be drilled?...

Bottom of the hull maybe slightly more inconvenient than just below the gunnels don't you think!

and please forgive my ignorance but what is the difference between a hole that is 1" in diameter and the area of a hole that is 1" in diameter? surely they are the same!
A hole 1" inch in daimeter is Less Than 1 square inch. If the formula calls for Area..then you must use area..not diameter. NB
Old 01-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #33
gillygirl

Quote:
You can juggle all the units...but it can be Tedious.
Reminds me of a physics professor I had who would say "you have to fiddle with your units 'til your Joules fall out."

GG
gillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gillygirl For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (01-20-2013)
Old 01-20-2013, 04:31 PM   #34
mikea

Hey this is fun! and to think my comments were only said in jest!...

However, out of interest if you drill a hole with a standard 1" drill bit, the resultant space is usually circular, a round hole, a bore hole etc, etc would you not agree.

Therefore the area of the hole will be directly proportional to the radius (IE half the diameter) and using the formula 'pi x radius squared' provides the area of the circle equating to a diameter = 2 x radius... well I seem to recall it was when I went to school!

So if I have two buckets and I drill a hole in the bottom of one that is 1" in diameter and I drill a hole in the other that is 0.7853981633974483 square inches and then I hold each over your head in turn, which one would make you wetter the fastest???
Old 01-20-2013, 05:09 PM   #35
Rusty

Quote:
Hey this is fun! and to think my comments were only said in jest!...

However, out of interest if you drill a hole with a standard 1" drill bit, the resultant space is usually circular, a round hole, a bore hole etc, etc would you not agree.

Therefore the area of the hole will be directly proportional to the radius (IE half the diameter) and using the formula 'pi x radius squared' provides the area of the circle equating to a diameter = 2 x radius... well I seem to recall it was when I went to school!

So if I have two buckets and I drill a hole in the bottom of one that is 1" in diameter and I drill a hole in the other that is 0.7853981633974483 square inches and then I hold each over your head in turn, which one would make you wetter the fastest???
What NoBozo is saying is that if the formula asks for the "area" of the hole and not the diameter of the hole in the calculation then you have to use 0.7853981633974483 and not 1.00000000.

I think we all know that you have to use a 1' boring bar to get an area of 0.7853981633974483.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:33 PM   #36
mikea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
What NoBozo is saying is that if the formula asks for the "area" of the hole and not the diameter of the hole in the calculation then you have to use 0.7853981633974483 and not 1.00000000.
Now you've truly thrown me... where does it say that a 1" diameter hole is 1 sq inch ??? and in any formula that requires an area of a circle (round hole) surely it is necessary to know the radius or diameter to so calculate?
Old 01-20-2013, 05:41 PM   #37
mikea

Anyhow, knocking this one on the head now... interesting participation! Cheers.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:50 PM   #38
NoBozo

Quote:
Now you've truly thrown me... where does it say that a 1" diameter hole is 1 sq inch ??? and in any formula that requires an area of a circle (round hole) surely it is necessary to know the radius or diameter to so calculate?
No where: and YES: A 1" diameter hole IS 1" in diameter. I would settle for the area of a I" diameter hole... as .7854 square inches. If the formula you are working with wants to work with Area..we Don't NEED to know the diameter. Cheers..NB
Old 01-20-2013, 05:55 PM   #39
Rusty

Quote:
No where: and YES: A 1" diameter hole IS 1" in diameter. I would settle for the area of a I" diameter hole... as .7854 square inches. If the formula you are working with wants to work with Area..we Don't NEED to know the diameter. Cheers..NB
Sorry I got into this, but that is exactly what you have been saying for a few days now.

"Area" in the formula for the calculation. Seems simple to me.

Cheers!
Old 01-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #40
NoBozo

OK: Now that we have decided what the area of a Round Hole is..lets procede to HOW LONG it takes for a 2700# boat to sink ...with water coming in through a 1" diameter hole. (NO bilge pumps working)

"A Floating Object Displaces An Amount Of Water Equal To It's Own Weight". I read that somewhere as absolute. ...Some kind of LAW of physics..

SO: As this 2700# boat is taking on water..I suggest that once 2700# of water has been "injested"..the boat is SUNK. Since it is NO longer Displacing the water..What say you...?? NB

EDIT: Water weighs 8 pounds per gallon..So 2700 pounds equates to 337.5 gallons. We only have to "Injest" 337.5 gallons of water to SINK the boat.

EDIT 2: Don't forget the PLUG.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:18 PM   #41
Rusty

Quote:
OK: Now that we have decided what the area of a Round Hole is..lets procede to HOW LONG it takes for a 2700# boat to sink ...with water coming in through a 1" diameter hole. (NO bilge pumps working)

"A Floating Object Displaces An Amount Of Water Equal To It's Own Weight". I read that somewhere as absolute. ...Some kind of LAW of physics..

SO: As this 2700# boat is taking on water..I suggest that once 2700# of water has been "injested"..the boat is SUNK. Since it is NO longer Displacing the water..What say you...?? NB

EDIT: Water weighs 8 pounds per gallon..So 2700 pounds equates to 337.5 gallons. We only have to "Injest" 337.5 gallons of water to SINK the boat.

EDIT 2: Don't forget the PLUG.
I say NO.

Think of “Buoyancy” and displacement of water.

As soon as the boat displaces more water than the weight of the boat, it will sink. So that means it all depends on the shape of the boat and how it displaces water. Take a piece of tin foil and shape it like a boat and it will float. Take the same tin foil and roll it in a ball and it will sink. The tin foil didn’t change in weight, just in shape.

That’s how I understand it.

BTW, an engineer has to know the "area" of a hole for some calculations because if you have an ellipse shaped hole then there really isn’t just one radius. You can have and "area" of 0.7853981633974483 square inches and the hole could be out of round and not just a 1.000000" diameter.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #42
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
I say NO.

Think of “Buoyancy” and displacement of water.

As soon as the boat displaces more water than the weight of the boat, it will sink. So that means it all depends on the shape of the boat and how it displaces water. Take a piece of tin foil and shape it like a boat and it will float. Take the same tin foil and roll it in a ball and it will sink. The tin foil didn’t change in weight, just in shape.

That’s how I understand it.

BTW, an engineer has to know the "area" of a hole for some calculations because if you have an ellipse shaped hole then there really isn’t just one radius. You can have and "area" of 0.7853981633974483 square inches and the hole could be out of round and not just a 1.000000" diameter.
An engineer can calculate the AREA of an Elipse just as easily as a circle using it's X-Y dimensions. NB
Old 01-20-2013, 09:01 PM   #43
Rusty

Quote:
An engineer can calculate the AREA of an Elipse just as easily as a circle using it's X-Y dimensions. NB
An engineer must know the "ovality" of a hole. Some holes are so out of round that they have several radius's with different center lines (C/L's).

The hole has to be analyzed using something like a "Tally Round" which will give you the exact shape of a hole and then calculate the "area".

At least that's what Mr.Torricelli told me the last time I talked to him.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:04 AM   #44
mikea

So guys, a conclusion has finally been reached that in order to use these differing formula, the actual area has to be calculated first... Agreed?

So if you have a ROUND drilled hole then the simplest way to calculate the area is by using pi x radius squared ... and to obtain the radius of the ROUND hole one would use either internal calipers or an internal vernier or the like to measure the DIAMETER and simply divide this by two to gain the radius...

In the event (as mentioned) that a hole was drilled that was not round then Yes! obviously differing calculative formulation is used to determine area prior to flow calculations being used.

So after all this it is necessary to know the diameter in order to calculate the area in order to use 'XXX' formula for flow rates etc?

So perhaps we've all been going around the houses a bit to reach the same conclusion...
The Following User Says Thank You to mikea For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (01-21-2013)
Old 01-21-2013, 08:22 AM   #45
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
So guys, a conclusion has finally been reached that in order to use these differing formula, the actual area has to be calculated first... Agreed?

So if you have a ROUND drilled hole then the simplest way to calculate the area is by using pi x radius squared ... and to obtain the radius of the ROUND hole one would use either internal calipers or an internal vernier or the like to measure the DIAMETER and simply divide this by two to gain the radius...

In the event (as mentioned) that a hole was drilled that was not round then Yes! obviously differing calculative formulation is used to determine area prior to flow calculations being used.

So after all this it is necessary to know the diameter in order to calculate the area in order to use 'XXX' formula for flow rates etc?

So perhaps we've all been going around the houses a bit to reach the same conclusion...
Where does one buy those oval drillbits?
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:24 AM   #46
mikea

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
Where does one buy those oval drillbits?
Not sure but I appear to have a few
Old 01-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #47
Jersey Bob

Smile cabin fever

It apperars cabin fever is starting to kick in early
Jersey Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #48
ITD

Think of it this way Mike, there is no way a 1 inch square peg will fit inside a 1 inch diameter hole....
Old 01-21-2013, 12:50 PM   #49
ITD

Formula for Area of a circle is:

A = PI X Radius Squared

or

A = 1/4 X PI X Diameter squared
Old 01-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #50
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Think of it this way Mike, there is no way a 1 inch square peg will fit inside a 1 inch diameter hole....
I like images:

Same concept as ITD explains...if r = 0.5 and therefore d = 1.0, you have a 1-inch diameter hole (which will fit inside a 1 sq-inch 'peg', but not viceversa).

BTW - this have been a fun conversation to watch Nice change from the norm here.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HellRaZoR004 For This Useful Post:
ITD (01-21-2013)
Old 01-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #51
ITD

Quote:

Unfortunately it doesn't end there. You also need to know the thickness of material drilled through, as that could affect the flow, the roughness of the drilled hole will have an effect. Burrs, temperature, cleanliness of the water will affect the flow. You could go bonkers figuring out the absolute correct number, or you can approximate and come up with a perfectly acceptable answer and reasonable solution to your problem. A good engineer understands this..
Old 01-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #52
mikea

Quote:
It will with a big enough hammer
Old 01-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #53
ITD

Quote:
It will with a big enough hammer

Ah yes, the BFH can do many things.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #54
mikea

Quote:
Unfortunately it doesn't end there. You also need to know the thickness of material drilled through, as that could affect the flow, the roughness of the drilled hole will have an effect. Burrs, temperature, cleanliness of the water will affect the flow. You could go bonkers figuring out the absolute correct number, or you can approximate and come up with a perfectly acceptable answer and reasonable solution to your problem. A good engineer understands this..
You forgot something, temperature of the water... no worries about flow if it's below freezing (yeah yeah, I know, yours has anti-freeze in it)...

"A good engineer understands this" - Crikey, that's me out of it then... I qualified as a marine engineer (many years ago!)
Old 01-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #55
mikea

Quote:
Ah yes, the BFH can do many things.
Yep... The American Screwdriver (as it is often known in the UK) is an engineers best friend...
Old 01-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #56
Rusty

Quote:
Yep... The American Screwdriver (as it is often known in the UK) is an engineers best friend...
If you have too many "American Screwdrivers" you will get "Hammered".
Jolly Good and Cheerio.
mikea (01-21-2013)
Old 01-21-2013, 04:26 PM   #57
patman

Quote:
A = PI X Radius Squared
Pie are square? No. Pie are round. Cornbread are square.
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to patman For This Useful Post:
ITD (01-21-2013)
Old 01-21-2013, 04:49 PM   #58
Rusty

Old mathematicians never die; they just lose some of their functions.

Cheers!
Old 01-21-2013, 06:08 PM   #59
RailroadJoe

Patman thanks. Did the boat sink or was it pulled out. Who really cares how long it would take. Back to the real world.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:28 PM   #60
ApS

Wink Watts a "Watts Drill"?

Quote:
In the U.S. Navy, a square peg will fit inside a 1 inch diameter hole, if you used the appropriately-sized Watts drill.

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #61
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
In the U.S. Navy, a square peg will fit inside a 1 inch diameter hole, if you used the appropriately-sized Watts drill.
Ahhhhh, That drill you show will not make a 1" diameter hole, it will make a 1" SQUARE hole. Nice try though.

Last edited by ITD; 01-22-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:09 PM   #62
SIKSUKR

APS beat me to it.I only drill square holes cuz I don't want somebody putting round pegs in them.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #63
mikea

Talking about square holes and round pegs, there are clearly some pretty switched on people attracted to this forum (need to watch myself...it might be contagious!) Anyhow, I have a slight conundrum you may be able to help with, being: -

My boat (a 30' motor Cruiser) is laying at berth in my local harbour (sorry Harbor) moored upon a bow swing berth. On the stern I have a dive / boarding ladder of which the bottom rung at low tide is just touching the surface of the water.
Now the problem is that the normal tide rises at 9" per hour for 4 hours then drops back again and the dive ladder rungs are 7.5" apart and there are only 8 of them to the top of the stern fixing. However in a spring tide, the water level rises at 13" per hour before dropping back and I need to calculate how many rungs will be covered in this spring tide in comparison to a normal tide...

Any takers?
Old 01-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #64
ITD

Quote:
Talking about square holes and round pegs, there are clearly some pretty switched on people attracted to this forum (need to watch myself...it might be contagious!) Anyhow, I have a slight conundrum you may be able to help with, being: -

My boat (a 30' motor Cruiser) is laying at berth in my local harbour (sorry Harbor) moored upon a bow swing berth. On the stern I have a dive / boarding ladder of which the bottom rung at low tide is just touching the surface of the water.
Now the problem is that the normal tide rises at 9" per hour for 4 hours then drops back again and the dive ladder rungs are 7.5" apart and there are only 8 of them to the top of the stern fixing. However in a spring tide, the water level rises at 13" per hour before dropping back and I need to calculate how many rungs will be covered in this spring tide in comparison to a normal tide...

Any takers?
A picture is worth a thousand words, just saying...

How big is the hole(s) in the boat?
Old 01-22-2013, 05:17 PM   #65
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default nice one!!!!

Quote:

Any takers?
Reminds me of if a plane crashed on the border between Canada and the US, where would they bury the survivors? The bottom rung of course will be at the same level regardless of the tide, without taking into consideration wave action .
Old 01-22-2013, 05:27 PM   #66
mikea

or how much earth is there in a hole 12" x 12" x 12" !...
Old 01-22-2013, 05:27 PM   #67
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Reminds me of if a plane crashed on the border between Canada and the US, where would they bury the survivors? The bottom rung of course will be at the same level regardless of the tide, without taking into consideration wave action .
You at least could have waited to see if there were any creative solutions.......
Old 01-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #68
mikea

Quote:
You at least could have waited to see if there were any creative solutions.......
aha... but was this the correct answer? Maybe there is a different underlying factor to be considered...

A bit of lateral thought maybe needed!!!

Something to think about
Old 01-22-2013, 06:30 PM   #69
ITD

Quote:
aha... but was this the correct answer? Maybe there is a different underlying factor to be considered...

A bit of lateral thought maybe needed!!!

Something to think about
Well, that's why I wanted a picture, not sure what " moored upon a bow swing berth" is, oh well....
Old 01-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #70
patman

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Reminds me of if a plane crashed on the border between Canada and the US, where would they bury the survivors?
Dunno about the survivors, but the casualties would be buried in the ground. Of course bringing Canada into the mix means we have to get the metric system involved here somewhere. I think you have to multiply Pi by 2.54 or something to convert.

patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #71
mikea

Default Latest news?

Has anyone any updates upon the MV MT Kearsarge please?
Old 02-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #72
Flyfisha

Default Update

She is up and afloat in the harbor. There is a storage container next to the dock that is being used for storage of the vessels contents. The engines have been winterized. There is plywood protecting some of the broken out windows. The owners have been very optimistic about repairs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flyfisha For This Useful Post:
mikea (02-05-2013)
Old 05-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #73
SIKSUKR

Default She is ready to go

http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/mv-...9/-/index.html
Old 05-28-2013, 08:20 AM   #74
Flyfisha

Default She's back!!

http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/bac...0/-/index.html

First cruise yesterday!!