Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2015, 03:58 PM   #1
MikeF-NH

Question Public dock etiquette 2015

I've been lucky during my Winni travels to use public launches that were off the beaten path enough that I didn't face a lot of issues with dock/launch etiquette. Well it caught up to me this weekend so i thought I would did up this old thread and maybe bring about a few stories from others on this site to bring attention to this annual discussion.

I was getting ready to take out at Sheps when a guy with a brand new 24+ foot Monteray pulls up to the ramp. The boat was clearly new since it had a name tag still on it. He clearly didn't understand how traffic moved to the ramp and waited about 5 minutes until the person behind him (my driver) tooted to get him moving. He then took about 5 more minutes to back up but not enough into the water. He got out of his truck and spent another 5 minutes trying to decide how to not get wet to put his boat in and finally took off his shoes and got in bare foot. At this point he realized he was not far enough in and got back in his truck and backed in more. After a few more minutes, he realized he forgot to unhook his boat....moving as slow as humanly possible. Instead of getting in his boat at this point he walked it to the dock. At this point he realizes that he never connected his ropes to his boat so he starts breaking out the brand new rope and tieing his boat to the dock (10 more minutes). Note that his truck is still at the ramp. Next he gets in his boat and begins going through all his gear and starts the boat with his lower unit out of the water until one of the techs at Sheps told him to lower the unit. He lowers it then goes back to organizing him boat. I finally had to drive in after about 1/2 hour at the wait and say "excuse me but can you move your truck...people are waiting in line".

Maybe I was over patient and waited to long to approach him. Maybe I should have gone and helped and risked damaging his new boat. It just amazes me how many "mistakes" this guy made and that he was oblivious that there was anyone waiting around him. It scared me that within a few minutes he was going to take this monster boat onto the water.

Anyone else have ramp stories to share?
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:03 PM   #2
Rich

Everyone is new once. I still remember my new days (I still feel new).

I'd suggest "Hi, I see you are new, mind if I help and/or give you some pointers?"

Remember, this NH is usually friendly and most people like to give and receive help. I know I do!

Last edited by Rich; 05-19-2015 at 09:22 AM. Reason: this thread was split out from the older thread
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post:
CateP (05-19-2015), lakershaker (05-20-2015), Misha888 (05-18-2015)
Old 05-18-2015, 05:59 PM   #3
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

In my first week of boating with our pontoon (read: windsurfer when bimini is open) last August, there were no fewer than five people who helped us at docks, when anchoring for the first time, when navigating rocky areas, etc. It's one of the things I was most impressed with, and one of the things I'll be sure to do when i see newbies this summer.
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:12 PM   #4
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF-NH View Post

Maybe I was over patient and waited to long to approach him. Maybe I should have gone and helped and risked damaging his new boat. It just amazes me how many "mistakes" this guy made and that he was oblivious that there was anyone waiting around him.
We've all been there. Looking back, I'm guessing that he (or most) would have loved it if someone was kind enough to step in an offer to help. He was probably wishing that he knew more and could do this more efficiently. A kind offer, a helpful hand, and he probably would have been out of there in 15 mins with a new appreciation for what good boating is all about.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:56 PM   #5
Leoskeys

All good points. I've been boating for 20 of my mere 37 years. But I'm still new as my father owned about four boats over that time, and I'm on my second. So even though I have lots of experience on the water, there are some things I know little about. Lauching at a ramp is an example, I've had to do it only once or twice in my life. So the poor guy may have tons of hours on the lake, but perhaps he's never had to launch.
I agree, we should offer the knowledge, and if they resist, sit back and chuckle.
Leoskeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2015, 05:36 AM   #6
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts
Default A couple of points

Most people know that when there is a line of boats and you are launching off of a trailer you should have everything ready, lines attached, and the blower running when appropriate. That way the only thing left to do is disconnect the winch hook after the boat is backed in to a point where if it were to come off the trailer the boat would have sufficient depth to avoid grounding.

People who are unaware that there is a line waiting behind them are sort of like people who drive down a two lane road 20MPH below the speed limit and have no idea that there are 10 cars beind them.

On crowded dock manners: The practice of letting the smaller boat go where they can fit works well for the smaller boat. When you have a larger boat (30 to 40 feet) sometimes you need two adjacent boats to leave to open up enough space for you. If the available spaces keep getting filled by smaller boats you could wait hours for the right docking opportunity. I don't have a good solution for that. Maybe someone else does.
TiltonBB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:37 AM   #7
dickiej

Always fun to go to You Tube and watch videos of ramp follies.......some of them will leave you doubled over with laughter!
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:15 AM   #8
Phantom

Newbies ?

First timers ?

How bout seasoned veterans !

We launched two weeks ago and on that Sunday as I was approaching the Gas dock, which had two other vessels tied off, you would think that the driver of this boat (me) had NEVER docked before in his life.

What a TOTAL disaster as my "feel" for the boat had somehow disappeared over the winter months ....I thought this was suppose to be like "riding a bike" - you never forget!

Talk about feeling like a moron as I struggled to continually readjust while the polite gas dock attendants simply smiled (making it even more embarrassing) as I was too far out for their assistance.

Point is .... it's not just the "Newbies" ... so be careful making judgments

chipj29 (05-19-2015), diprna (05-20-2015), salty dog (05-19-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 11:59 AM   #9
salty dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Newbies ?

First timers ?

We launched two weeks ago and on that Sunday as I was approaching the Gas dock, which had two other vessels tied off, you would think that the driver of this boat (me) had NEVER docked before in his life.

What a TOTAL disaster as my "feel" for the boat had somehow disappeared over the winter months ....I thought this was suppose to be like "riding a bike" - you never forget!

Talk about feeling like a moron as I struggled to continually readjust while the polite gas dock attendants simply smiled (making it even more embarrassing) as I was too far out for their assistance.

Can't speak for others but I know the feel'n! I liken it to putting the skis on for the first run of the season; trying to remember what the legs are supposed to do...
Old 05-19-2015, 04:03 PM   #10
Patofnaud

Default Best defense,,,,

Stay away from public docks on Saturdays?

Especially popular ones like Meredith?

I'm thinking this Saturday will be a 'find a nice place to hide' day.
Patofnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:10 PM   #11
polarisman14

Last season we got stuck behind a guy with a 25' cobalt that appeared to be new or almost new. Had none of the gear loaded into the boat so while the boat was backed into the water at the launch ramp (Meredith public docks, 1 boat at a time max for launch) he opened the trunk of his dodge SUV and loaded everything from the car to the boat. Then tied his fenders off. Then, instead of starting the boat while on the trailer, he tied what must have been 50+ foot anchor rode lines to the cleats and his friends WALKED the boat off the trailer and over to the dock. He proceeded to continue loading the rest of his gear for another 10 minutes. This whole ordeal took a half hour or more away from our boating day. Conversely, my buddy and I have launching his 27' sea ray down to a science--takes less than 5 minutes from when we pull up to the launch ramp, even less if we have to wait since you can get some prep done.

I had a similar encounter with a 22' Penn Yan cabin cruiser at the public docks at Alton this weekend, used the spare time to get everything ready on my boat and due to my motor not starting I ended up having to troll mine in backwards. Still only took 5 minutes to pull mine. Oh well. We all have our days, but some people just have no common sense or consideration for their surroundings. Pretty dangerous people to be on the water with.

To Tow: 2007 Honda Ridgeline RTL
To Float: 1977 MFG Gypsy Star 17 O/B
polarisman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:02 PM   #12
pontoonbarge

Default Let's see... If I turn the wheel this way... uh...

I keep practicing, but when I'm docking around all the beautiful boats... it's easy to get nervous!!

It's awesome to see the folks who can whiz right into the tightest space! Always makes me grin... I think some folks could flip their boat through the air and have it land in the perfect spot at a dock, lines would wrap themselves...

As for me, it's with going slow, and some trepidation that I get tied off... I think each year I get a little better... until there's a breeze I don't expect...

But hey - we're on the water! a few extra minutes means a few extra minutes in our boats...

As for help -- it's the greatest thing when someone reaches out a hand to help guide the boat when I'm struggling. Always appreciated.

Trailering...... That always has potential to go one way or another. Note to self... did I put in the plug? Geez I think so, but....

Happy summer 2015 everyone!
pontoonbarge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pontoonbarge For This Useful Post:
LongShort (05-26-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 08:05 PM   #13
tc_mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Everyone is new once. I still remember my new days (I still feel new).

I'd suggest "Hi, I see you are new, mind if I help and/or give you some pointers?"

Remember, this NH is usually friendly and most people like to give and receive help. I know I do!
Totally agree. I think it is important to make a distinction between someone who is new and very likely on the verge of panic and someone who is oblivious to others - or worse, egocentric.
tc_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:36 AM   #14
SIKSUKR

Default Its all about me

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc_mike View Post
Totally agree. I think it is important to make a distinction between someone who is new and very likely on the verge of panic and someone who is oblivious to others - or worse, egocentric.
Perfect post. These are the same people that wont pull out of the passing lane or stop at an intersection to play with their phone without a clue cars are waiting behind them.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:22 PM   #15
diprna

Default Haha Phantom

We picked up our boat this weekend and had lovely first outing to Akwa Marina for lunch. Untying, ready to leave, boat won't start. Dead as a door nail. Shifter wasn't in neutral all the way. Haha! We are not newbies either (boating since 2002) but it can sometimes take a little bit to get our sea legs each spring.
diprna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:54 AM   #16
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post

On crowded dock manners: The practice of letting the smaller boat go where they can fit works well for the smaller boat. When you have a larger boat (30 to 40 feet) sometimes you need two adjacent boats to leave to open up enough space for you. If the available spaces keep getting filled by smaller boats you could wait hours for the right docking opportunity. I don't have a good solution for that. Maybe someone else does.
That's easy, replace the bigger boat with a fleet of smaller boats
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:02 AM   #17
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Newbies ?

First timers ?

I was patiently waiting for a boat to return to the dock so I could take it for a demo spin last weekend. The sales guy came in pretty fast, spun the boat around to back it in to the slip, but misjudged and ended up aborting four attempts before one of the crew jumped onto the dock with a line and pulled the boat in manually. Was pretty funny. I'm pleased to say I got it backed in on the first shot; single-screw inboard too (but it had thrusters so not so tough...).
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote