Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winter Sports
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
ArborTech

Default Gunstock Pond Skim......or not

Wondering if anyone else was at Gunstock to watch or participate in the pond skim today. What a disappointment. A rebel snowborder went into the "pond" before the event and ripped the liner letting all the water out. They canceled the event
ArborTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:29 PM   #2
gravy boat

Thumbs down Bonehead move

Yes, we were there and heard. We were really looking forward to checking it out.

Rumor has it ( and this is hearsay) that the snowboarder who did the damage will be charged for damages to the equipment and costs associated with the event..

Again... Just what I heard.

Conditions were awesome so we just did more runs. :-)
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:10 AM   #3
LakesRegionSpirit

Yup! I was there waiting to shoot the event. Was standing at the lower end of the "pond" when the kid came thru. The staff was NOT happy. I believe they, at least, took his lift ticket and said they would be having a conversation at a later time. They were more concerned about the potential for a collision with others when he came flying thru the gate.

I'm not sure that it was apparent at that moment, that he had caused the rip. The whirlpool certainly confirmed it.
www.LakesRegionSpirit.com
LakesRegionSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:22 PM   #4
kjbathe

So THAT's what happened. I had two very disappointed little girls with me yesterday, sad that they missed it.

On the upside, I have another item on my list of "Why I don't care for snowboarders"
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:32 AM   #5
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbathe View Post
So THAT's what happened. I had two very disappointed little girls with me yesterday, sad that they missed it.

On the upside, I have another item on my list of "Why I don't care for snowboarders"
Don't lump all snowboarders in one category. As is usually the case, it is the actions of a few that spoil it for the group. As a snowmobiler, I hear this often.
Bubs (06-04-2011), Jonas Pilot (04-05-2011), VitaBene (04-05-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2011, 11:30 AM   #6
tc_mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
Don't lump all snowboarders in one category. As is usually the case, it is the actions of a few that spoil it for the group. As a snowmobiler, I hear this often.
Agreed. The fact that he is an idiot does not have anything to do with the fact that he likes to [insert favorite type of recreational activity here].
tc_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:47 AM   #7
gf2020

Right, plenty of chucklehead skiers out there as well. My sons and I went to the Spring Splash event at Cranmore the prior weekend; always a good time.
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:54 PM   #8
Gatto Nero

Default Two Planker vs Knuckle Dragger

Hopefully the "Two Planker vs Knuckle Dragger" argument is all in good fun. I skied for 30 plus years before I became a confirmed Knuckle Dragger over 10 years ago, but my kids have always been on boards. They have friends that are skiers and they are always teasing back and forth. However, I have found that some of the older skiers really do have a prejudice against snowboarders and I think some of them may have a valid point. The impression they have that boarders are crazy, out of control, punks probably has some level of truth to it. I think the reason behind this is that most young skiers today had their parents with them as they learned to ski. Because of that they learned skiing etiquette as well. A majority of boarders, on the other hand, tend to be dropped off by their parents and left to their own devices, which in turn leads to them doing more stupid things, which leads to an overall bad wrap.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:41 PM   #9
SIKSUKR

Two major problems I have with snowboards are:

They tend to ruin the trail condition quicker by scraping the snow instead of carving mostly because of having 1/2 the edge contact.The operater does make a difference here but in general its just the law of physics.

Having a stance facing one way there is a huge blindspot.Coming from a skier that passes many sliders every run,it can be very unnerving trying to get past boarders when you know they have no idea your passing on their backside.

Small issues are sitting around on the trails but I understand the limitations of standing still.

They are really noisy on frim snow!

Having said that:
The mountains are for every type of snow tool attached to your feet.So deal with it SS!
Old 04-07-2011, 05:40 PM   #10
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
They tend to ruin the trail condition quicker by scraping the snow instead of carving mostly because of having 1/2 the edge contact.The operater does make a difference here but in general its just the law of physics.
That's only true of beginners and is the same with beginner skiers and their snowplowing. Once they know what their doing and are confident doing it most carve just as much as skiers do. I might even say less so because it's so much easier to learn to board well than it is to ski well.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:21 PM   #11
SIKSUKR

Gotta disagree with you GN. I will agree that very good boarders on carving boards will just lay a nice trench but most boarders are not on those and they tend to smear their turns. Very few boarders actually hook up and carve unless they are pretty fast and advanced. Skiers are certainly not immune to this though. Just my take on 40+ years of 50-60 days on snow.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:14 PM   #12
boo

we were disappointed also. we were signed up and ready to do the skim with shorts on. my 9 year old son was going to do it for the first time, he was very disappointed.

i have to comment something about people not liking snowboarders.
my family is all snowboards, me my wife and son and daughter.

on 2 occasions this winter at gunstock, my 9 year old son was hit from behind by out of control skiers. the gentleman who hit him--and by hit i mean knocked him over, drove right over his leg when he was down, then hit him with his pole--this person continued on down the mountain without even stopping.
I was riding about 20 feet away and when the guy didnt stop, i checked on my son and went after the guy.
I caught up with him, at which time he stopped, and asked me what my problem was??????
i had a breif discussion with him, at which time he decided it was in his best interest to go back and apologize to my son.

this man was going to not even stop and see if he was alright, and he was an adult??

I could say this is just one more reason why people dont like skiers, but like posted above, we wont let one or 2 bad experiences ruin or categorize others.

as for the snowboarder who popped the tarp---it was going to happen when the first person went in the pond. They were using an inexpensive blue tarp, these tarps are not made to hold the weight of the water, let alone someone walking on it.
I was there all morning andwatched them from start to finish building the pond and I told them that this was going to happen.
They need to use a rubber membrane, like rubber roofing. this could be reused year after year and is virtually impossible to pop a hole in.

maybe they will take my advice next year.

until then hope to see you all on the slopes, seasons not over yet--bretton woods stays open into May.
boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:07 PM   #13
trfour

Post Thanks For Adding Some Balance To This Discussion boo...

As a former skier myself, although now-a-days retired from the sport, I think you have made some good points! Always is nice to hear from both sides of the experienced points of view in a discussion such as this.

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:09 AM   #14
ArborTech

Thumbs down Cheap Setup

Boo,

I agree with you 100%. My wife and I both felt that no matter who went into the pond first, the tarp was going to fail. What a cheap way to create a "pond". There also seemed to be a substantial lack of water too. I heard that the water level they had took hours to achieve, but this is hard to believe considering the snow making system they have. They ought to put a little more effort into making this a solid event for next year.
ArborTech is offline   Reply With Quote