Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2020, 07:47 PM   #1
tbonies

Default Roofing Recommendations

I am looking for roofer recommendations to do a full replacement of a shingle roof. Our roof has several varying pitches and cuts so it would lean to a more complex replacement. Recommendations greatly appreciated. Thanks.
tbonies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:51 PM   #2
Hillcountry

For a good roofing job, I can recommend Drew’s Affordable Roofing.
They are mostly metal roofers but have an asphalt roofing division.
At the time of my roofing needs the metal work was booked 6 months out so I opted for asphalt shingles.
A “crew” of non-English speaking people arrived on the roofing day a couple days after the materials were delivered. There were men doing the actual roofing and a few women doing cleanup/grunt work. Hard workers for sure but communicating with them was no easy task. If things like this bother you, good luck! So far, the same has happened with our roof and carpeting jobs. “No habla English” was frustrating but we got through it and are happy with the finished product.
The roof looks great and doesn’t leak!
They were the least expensive of the 3 roofing companies that bothered to show up for an estimate. Still, it was a $10,000 cost for my particular roof which was pretty straightforward.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 04:45 AM   #3
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonies View Post
I am looking for roofer recommendations to do a full replacement of a shingle roof. Our roof has several varying pitches and cuts so it would lean to a more complex replacement. Recommendations greatly appreciated. Thanks.
In my younger days - did my own roof (s). Asphalt shingle 3 tab. No magic to it.
If I was to do it again. I'd hire a metal roof company. Or if asphalt shingles - architectural shingles.
If replacing an existing roof - strip off old shingles - use ice and water shield (bituthene) on entire roof. And replace all plumbing roof vents with new - as the rubber deteriorates over time. And the roof itself needs ventilation.

Finding any contractor today is a challenge. Finding a good one is even more challenging. Best to read up on what a good roof replacement requires.

Dedicated roofing companies have reputations. Sometimes good. Sometimes not so good.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:49 AM   #4
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Some roofers recomend only using Ice & Water shield 6' up from the edge of the roof and in any valley's but not the whole roof? Can any roofers chime in with their opinion and reasoning?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:43 AM   #5
mishman

Default GBR contracting

I highly recommend Carl Smith and GBR contracting of Meredith. They redid my roof after premature failure of previous "organic" shingles. Carl and his crew followed through on every promise and did a great job under very hot conditions earlier this summer. They even voluntarily repaired my driveway from very minor damage to the asphalt without my even asking. Getting a roof redone is an expensive proposition but doing it well and cleaning up completely is why I would recommend GBR contracting without hesitation. (They use Ice and Water Shield on entire roof, not just bottom section.)
mishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2020, 03:03 PM   #6
TheProfessor

Here is one video.

https://youtu.be/yVzF5wE3ptc?t=23

Drive around and view new homes being built and view what materials those builders use. Skip any "spec" homes - those are constructed to minimum codes to save costs to bring selling price lowest possible.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:44 AM   #7
marinewife

Default Great roofing company used June 2020

We had great success with Jake Stanley who owns JMS Roofing. He lives in Wolfeboro with his family and came out to give his free estimate. An assistant brought many different boards for color choice.

Our home is large with 2 detached garages, and while the cost is not cheap, the quality of the shingles is excellent- Timberline 50 yr. A dumpster was delivered a few days before the start of the job.

His 10 employees arrived early in the morning, and worked non stop for a day and a half. Clean up was great as well. I took photos of the progress, it was incredible.

I got his name from 2 people- a local diner owner and a girlfriend's neighbor, and have passed it on as well. I would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone, he's friendly, professional, keeps his appointments and emails/ calls you back quickly.

Jake's number is 603-520-3481
marinewife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marinewife For This Useful Post:
Biggd (09-09-2020), Sue Doe-Nym (09-09-2020)
Old 09-27-2020, 02:45 PM   #8
boo

Default Roofing

i would be happy to give you a quote for your roof replacement. I do alot of waterfront homes around the lake, as well as work for other forum members. i offer great rates and high quality installation.
Please let me know if you would be interested in a free quote. Corey boucher (603) 393-5229 or email bluemoonbuilders@msn.com
I look forward to hearing from you
boo is offline   Reply With Quote