Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2018, 04:01 AM   #701
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,221
Thanks: 192
Thanked 474 Times in 350 Posts
Default .... but just no good?

So's, how come semi-tractors pulling a 53' van trailer with a gross vehicle weight of up to 40-tons always have a diesel 4-stroke engine as opposed to a gasoline 2-stroke engine?

Like, what the h was they thinking when they went and got two Evinrude 2-strokes, which are actually very, very expensive ...... but just no good for pushing along a huge, heavy barge like The Dive?
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!
fatlazyless is offline  
Old 10-19-2018, 05:36 AM   #702
TiltonBB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Gilford, NH and Florida
Posts: 1,394
Thanks: 212
Thanked 757 Times in 309 Posts
Default

For many years until recently the Detroit Diesel was a 2 stroke that made plenty of power. The 6V71, 8V71, and 8V92 were 2 strokes used to power many trucks, boats, and a lot of fire apparatus. Many fire trucks and boats still use them. They fell out of favor with over the road trucks because of tighter emission restrictions.

The Evinrude Etec is a very good outboard. It has an auto winterization feature fogs the engines itself in minutes, with no trip to the dealer.

An Evinrude E-TEC engine does not require belts, camshafts or exhaust valves, which means there are fewer parts to wear down or malfunction than a four--stroke outboard.

I have owned them in the past and found the Etec to be quiet and smooth and almost maintenance free.
TiltonBB is offline  
Old 10-19-2018, 10:26 AM   #703
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,221
Thanks: 192
Thanked 474 Times in 350 Posts
Default .... get the message?

Oh well ….. what with the big, big, high cost of a new 250hp outboard …. seems very likely The Dive will cross their arms and legs, cross all their fingers and toes ….and hope to high heaven …. their Evinrude E-Tec 250's be will good enough to get it moving good with two new and different propellers installed to replace what they have …. just got to give it a trial run ….. and think positive Evinrude thoughts!


Evinrude, Yes! …… Honda, No! ….. Evinrude, Yes! ….. Honda, No! ….. Evinrude, Yes! ….. Honda, No! ........ etcetera, etcetera, etcetera ….. and just a-keepa think'n this …… Evinrude, Yes! ….. Honda, No! …… get the message!


And, if the Evinrudes make the high heat buzzer sound up, what with the new props ..... or, they just don't cut it or something ..... there's always that 'Cash for Clunkers' program with the federal EPA .... just what got the Mount Washington their two new caterpillar diesels, back in 2009, worth $750,000 .... to replace their old 1940's diesels that made an iconic "wush-wush-wush" sound about two minutes ahead of the Mount coming around the bend ..... that "wush-wush-wush" done been replaced by an efficient but non-iconic bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz sound.
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 10-20-2018 at 07:09 AM.
fatlazyless is offline  
Old 01-08-2019, 10:36 AM   #704
Newbiesaukee
Senior Member
 
Newbiesaukee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Coral Gables, winter; Long Island, summer
Posts: 934
Thanks: 487
Thanked 288 Times in 152 Posts
Default Weirs

I am certain that someone can find the link but the Dive will be stationed at the Weirs for 2019. Check Facebook.
__________________


"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline  
Old 01-23-2019, 03:15 PM   #705
Wolfeboro_Baja
Senior Member
 
Wolfeboro_Baja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hopkinton NH
Posts: 395
Thanks: 88
Thanked 80 Times in 46 Posts
Default

Here's the Facebook post from East Coast Flightcraft for those that haven't looked for it yet:

https://www.facebook.com/EastCoastFl...83438728496737
__________________
Cancer SUCKS!
Wolfeboro_Baja is offline  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2019, 09:58 AM   #706
BoatHouse
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 37
Thanks: 52
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default Dive CopyCat

Looks like the Dive is being copied in Boston Harbor.

Phantom Gourmet BOSTON BREAKING FOOD NEWS https://thesomervillenewsweekly.blog...ing-food-news/
Attached Images
 
BoatHouse is offline  
Old 04-01-2019, 10:02 AM   #707
billy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 63
Thanks: 159
Thanked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Default

billy is offline  
Old 04-22-2019, 07:50 AM   #708
Phantom
Senior Member
 
Phantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hudson, Ma / Gilford
Posts: 1,660
Thanks: 300
Thanked 461 Times in 266 Posts
Default

Tried to open my Dive App today …………. (curious if there was any info of their new Home port)


got a pop-up saying ……... "app is no longer active"


Did the Dive drop the App????
__________________
A bad day on the Big Lake (although I've never had one) - Still beats a day at the office!!
Phantom is online now  
Old 04-22-2019, 08:05 AM   #709
LIforrelaxin
Senior Member
 
LIforrelaxin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Posts: 2,192
Thanks: 772
Thanked 621 Times in 334 Posts
Default

Was Just on their facebook page, where they have announced that they will be opening on May 10th at the Winnipesaukee Pier....

Should make for an interesting summer to see how often the now venture out...
__________________
Life is about how much time you can spend relaxing... I do it on an island that isn't really an island.....
LIforrelaxin is offline  
Old 04-22-2019, 08:13 AM   #710
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 1,636
Thanks: 404
Thanked 273 Times in 194 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Was Just on their facebook page, where they have announced that they will be opening on May 10th at the Winnipesaukee Pier....

Should make for an interesting summer to see how often the now venture out...
You would think that would take business away from the pier restaurant and bar?
Biggd is online now  
Old 04-22-2019, 08:22 AM   #711
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 1,879
Thanks: 346
Thanked 454 Times in 302 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
You would think that would take business away from the pier restaurant and bar?
I would think so. I am sure they are not going to be allowed to serve food or alcohol much like the MT Washington
joey2665 is online now  
Old 04-22-2019, 08:58 AM   #712
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 1,636
Thanks: 404
Thanked 273 Times in 194 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
I would think so. I am sure they are not going to be allowed to serve food or alcohol much like the MT Washington
How are they going to make money if they aren't allowed to sell food and alcohol? There really isn't any other reason to visit it unlike cruising on the Mount.
Biggd is online now  
Old 04-22-2019, 09:30 AM   #713
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 1,879
Thanks: 346
Thanked 454 Times in 302 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
How are they going to make money if they aren't allowed to sell food and alcohol? There really isn't any other reason to visit it unlike cruising on the Mount.
Just while at the dock. Looks like it is just for docking in the evening and taking out parties. On regular weekends it will leave early in the morning to reach its sandbar of choice for the day.
joey2665 is online now  
Old 04-22-2019, 10:42 AM   #714
Phantom
Senior Member
 
Phantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hudson, Ma / Gilford
Posts: 1,660
Thanks: 300
Thanked 461 Times in 266 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
On regular weekends it will leave early in the morning to reach its sandbar of choice for the day.
And get a head start on the Weirs Channel traffic ….. as I suspect they will be a regular fixture at the Margate sand bar (no complaining neighbors).
__________________
A bad day on the Big Lake (although I've never had one) - Still beats a day at the office!!
Phantom is online now  
Old 04-22-2019, 10:44 AM   #715
LIforrelaxin
Senior Member
 
LIforrelaxin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Posts: 2,192
Thanks: 772
Thanked 621 Times in 334 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
You would think that would take business away from the pier restaurant and bar?
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
I would think so. I am sure they are not going to be allowed to serve food or alcohol much like the MT Washington
I doubt it..... I am willing to be that both could be very busy.....And I have to believe that the dive has every intention of serving dock side.

I have to believe that they noticed some flaws in their business model last year. One of which is a floating restaurant traveling to sand bars make great sense on the weekends. But is not cost effective during the week. Being tied up to a dock during the week however invites many more people to come aboard.

Where it might get dicee and interesting is if one has better food then the other....

Bottom line, restaurants survive all the time right next to each other...
__________________
Life is about how much time you can spend relaxing... I do it on an island that isn't really an island.....
LIforrelaxin is offline  
Old 04-22-2019, 10:58 AM   #716
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 1,879
Thanks: 346
Thanked 454 Times in 302 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
I doubt it..... I am willing to be that both could be very busy.....And I have to believe that the dive has every intention of serving dock side.



I have to believe that they noticed some flaws in their business model last year. One of which is a floating restaurant traveling to sand bars make great sense on the weekends. But is not cost effective during the week. Being tied up to a dock during the week however invites many more people to come aboard.



Where it might get dicee and interesting is if one has better food then the other....



Bottom line, restaurants survive all the time right next to each other...


I respectfully disagree. I believe this will just be a port for them as mentioned above and not serve dockside. I also think this is s much better location from last year allowing them to do more parties and easier to get to places like Braun Bay and Timber island


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is online now  
Old 04-22-2019, 11:09 AM   #717
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 1,636
Thanks: 404
Thanked 273 Times in 194 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
And get a head start on the Weirs Channel traffic ….. as I suspect they will be a regular fixture at the Margate sand bar (no complaining neighbors).
It can't make it through the channel and under the bridge, can it?
Biggd is online now  
Old 04-22-2019, 11:22 AM   #718
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 1,879
Thanks: 346
Thanked 454 Times in 302 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
It can't make it through the channel and under the bridge, can it?
They have stated on the facebook page that they could go under the bridge but I would think that might depend on lake level as it could be that close
joey2665 is online now  
Old 04-22-2019, 11:35 AM   #719
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 1,636
Thanks: 404
Thanked 273 Times in 194 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
They have stated on the facebook page that they could go under the bridge but I would think that might depend on lake level as it could be that close
I would like to be there to see that.
Biggd is online now  
Old 04-22-2019, 11:53 AM   #720
LIforrelaxin
Senior Member
 
LIforrelaxin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Posts: 2,192
Thanks: 772
Thanked 621 Times in 334 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
It can't make it through the channel and under the bridge, can it?
I would think that a majority of the time they would fit under the bridge. As joey pointed out it might be close dependent on water levels, and the hight of any masts they may have up....

The bigger problem here would be controling the vessel, and not causing a backup, as there might be a problem maintaining two way traffic as they go through the channel.

Even though those are two monster outboards. I don't believe the vessel handles all that well. If they have thrusters on the front that may help some... But the props on those engines just are not big enough to bite effectively in the water, for any type of exacting maneuvers which they would really need to be capable of to go through any channel...
__________________
Life is about how much time you can spend relaxing... I do it on an island that isn't really an island.....
LIforrelaxin is offline  
Old 04-22-2019, 12:03 PM   #721
LIforrelaxin
Senior Member
 
LIforrelaxin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Posts: 2,192
Thanks: 772
Thanked 621 Times in 334 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
I respectfully disagree. I believe this will just be a port for them as mentioned above and not serve dockside. I also think this is s much better location from last year allowing them to do more parties and easier to get to places like Braun Bay and Timber island


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Great thing about this country, we can disagree....

There is no doubt about the fact that having the Weirs as a home port will be a great advantage.... And I don't mean to imply that they will not go out... I am sure they will when the conditions are right.

I just think this is a maneuver to get more business, on the days that it is not advisable to go out. I simply can't believe that they are going to either do daily tours, or sit idly dockside when the weather is not co-operating. The Dive has limited seating etc. I somehow just don't think they are a threatening or concerning venue, and are planning to be just another dockside restaurant we they are not out and about...

The Dive ownership has eluded to the fact that the vessel is not as capable as they had hoped. And in fact last summer had cancelled on various plans because it was not advisable for them to be out. They have to have a license Capt. on the vessel to be out and navigating around the lake. No Capt, will be willing to risk their license by going out when conditions don't allow for safe handling of the vessel. Because the vessel doesn't handle as well as hoped, the number of days, a captain will be unwilling to take her out, is more then the business model I am sure was counting on....
__________________
Life is about how much time you can spend relaxing... I do it on an island that isn't really an island.....
LIforrelaxin is offline  
Old 04-22-2019, 12:45 PM   #722
Phantom
Senior Member
 
Phantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hudson, Ma / Gilford
Posts: 1,660
Thanks: 300
Thanked 461 Times in 266 Posts
Default

The highest point for the Dive is it's sign -- and if I recall correctly it can be collapsed down..
Attached Images
 
__________________
A bad day on the Big Lake (although I've never had one) - Still beats a day at the office!!
Phantom is online now  
Old 04-22-2019, 12:48 PM   #723
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 1,879
Thanks: 346
Thanked 454 Times in 302 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Great thing about this country, we can disagree....



There is no doubt about the fact that having the Weirs as a home port will be a great advantage.... And I don't mean to imply that they will not go out... I am sure they will when the conditions are right.



I just think this is a maneuver to get more business, on the days that it is not advisable to go out. I simply can't believe that they are going to either do daily tours, or sit idly dockside when the weather is not co-operating. The Dive has limited seating etc. I somehow just don't think they are a threatening or concerning venue, and are planning to be just another dockside restaurant we they are not out and about...



The Dive ownership has eluded to the fact that the vessel is not as capable as they had hoped. And in fact last summer had cancelled on various plans because it was not advisable for them to be out. They have to have a license Capt. on the vessel to be out and navigating around the lake. No Capt, will be willing to risk their license by going out when conditions don't allow for safe handling of the vessel. Because the vessel doesn't handle as well as hoped, the number of days, a captain will be unwilling to take her out, is more then the business model I am sure was counting on....


Yes it is. Do the good thing is we can agree to disagree and unlike other issues currently being debated on this site, we will have a definitive answer when the season arrives .


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is online now  
Old 04-22-2019, 01:12 PM   #724
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 1,636
Thanks: 404
Thanked 273 Times in 194 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
The highest point for the Dive is it's sign -- and if I recall correctly it can be collapsed down..
Like I said, I'd like to be there when they attempt to put that square peg through that arched hole.
Biggd is online now  
Old 04-22-2019, 02:17 PM   #725
Woodsy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Weirs Beach
Posts: 1,566
Thanks: 45
Thanked 669 Times in 274 Posts
Default

IF (BIG IF) they replaced the lowers on their outboard motors to swing a larger diameter prop at a slower RPM... most of the handling/transit time issues would be solved....

I personally cannot wait to see what this year brings for them! I hope they can serve dockside in the Weirs! I hope they are beyond successful!

Woodsy
__________________
The only way to eliminate ignorant behavior is through education. You can't fix stupid.
Woodsy is offline  
Old 04-22-2019, 02:43 PM   #726
Taz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 217
Thanks: 1
Thanked 38 Times in 23 Posts
Default Dive

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
I respectfully disagree. I believe this will just be a port for them as mentioned above and not serve dockside. I also think this is s much better location from last year allowing them to do more parties and easier to get to places like Braun Bay and Timber island


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Look at the FB page, it says "We are now accessible by land! Opening May 10th at the Winnipesaukee Pier as a new hot spot on the water for lunch and dinner. We will still be at the sandbars with our boaters for lunch & fun when the weather gets warmer"

Hasn't it been said the Mount can not serve food or alcohol dockside? Exception motorcycle week? If that is true how did the Dive manage that?

Sandbars will be even tougher from the Weirs. Smalls and Braun Bay are now even further away. Margate is closer but with the issues mentioned previously. It will be interesting to see how this all works out.
Taz is offline  
Old 04-22-2019, 03:10 PM   #727
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 1,879
Thanks: 346
Thanked 454 Times in 302 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
Look at the FB page, it says "We are now accessible by land! Opening May 10th at the Winnipesaukee Pier as a new hot spot on the water for lunch and dinner. We will still be at the sandbars with our boaters for lunch & fun when the weather gets warmer"

Hasn't it been said the Mount can not serve food or alcohol dockside? Exception motorcycle week? If that is true how did the Dive manage that?

Sandbars will be even tougher from the Weirs. Smalls and Braun Bay are now even further away. Margate is closer but with the issues mentioned previously. It will be interesting to see how this all works out.
I agree that was the basis of my opinion. I cannot see how they can serve at the pier if the MT is not allowed (obviously with the exception of bike week)
joey2665 is online now  
Old 04-22-2019, 04:36 PM   #728
Outdoorsman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 656
Thanks: 70
Thanked 161 Times in 109 Posts
Default

Without ever having seen ramifications from this business, we seem to have dozens upon dozens of unaffected people trying to control the outcome of a business.

The Fall of 2018 seemed to be a "test" for the vessel,

yet the entitled that live near the PUBLIC water seemed to have issues

even PRIOR to this raft setting adrift from Alton Bay.


MY VOTE, GO DIVE
Outdoorsman is offline  
Old 04-22-2019, 05:15 PM   #729
Descant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merrimack and Welch Island
Posts: 1,519
Thanks: 469
Thanked 428 Times in 273 Posts
Default Not allowed? Or chooses not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
I agree that was the basis of my opinion. I cannot see how they can serve at the pier if the MT is not allowed (obviously with the exception of bike week)
I don't know why you think the Mount is not allowed to serve. They cruise every night, (Yes,except Bike Week). Imagine the headaches if they allowed people onboard after the afternoon cruise, while they're cleaning up, setting up the dinner buffet, perhaps changing crews, etc. and then, at 65:00 or 6:15 had to shoo them all off, close out their bills, clean up again, etc before 6:30 when evening cruise customers are waiting to board.
Descant is offline  
Old 04-22-2019, 05:22 PM   #730
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,520
Thanks: 445
Thanked 783 Times in 542 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
Without ever having seen ramifications from this business, we seem to have dozens upon dozens of unaffected people trying to control the outcome of a business.

The Fall of 2018 seemed to be a "test" for the vessel,

yet the entitled that live near the PUBLIC water seemed to have issues

even PRIOR to this raft setting adrift from Alton Bay.


MY VOTE, GO DIVE
That was a very sarcastic comment. All boaters should pay the TAXES that the ENTITLED pay. You are not allowed to open a bar or restaurant with music in any residential area. I think the Weirs being commercial is a perfect place for the Dive. I hope they do well.
tis is offline  
Old 04-22-2019, 05:28 PM   #731
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 1,879
Thanks: 346
Thanked 454 Times in 302 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I don't know why you think the Mount is not allowed to serve. They cruise every night, (Yes,except Bike Week). Imagine the headaches if they allowed people onboard after the afternoon cruise, while they're cleaning up, setting up the dinner buffet, perhaps changing crews, etc. and then, at 65:00 or 6:15 had to shoo them all off, close out their bills, clean up again, etc before 6:30 when evening cruise customers are waiting to board.
You are misunderstanding. A patron cannot exit and enter the mount to just eat and drink. It is just for patrons taking the cruise it is NOT a stationary bar/restaurant
joey2665 is online now  
Old 04-22-2019, 05:55 PM   #732
Woodsy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Weirs Beach
Posts: 1,566
Thanks: 45
Thanked 669 Times in 274 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
You are misunderstanding. A patron cannot exit and enter the mount to just eat and drink. It is just for patrons taking the cruise it is NOT a stationary bar/restaurant
YA... except you know Bike Week! I am pretty sure the Mount CHOOSES not to be a stationary bar/restaurant.

Woodsy
__________________
The only way to eliminate ignorant behavior is through education. You can't fix stupid.
Woodsy is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Woodsy For This Useful Post:
Descant (04-23-2019), joey2665 (04-22-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 11:13 AM   #733
LIforrelaxin
Senior Member
 
LIforrelaxin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Posts: 2,192
Thanks: 772
Thanked 621 Times in 334 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
YA... except you know Bike Week! I am pretty sure the Mount CHOOSES not to be a stationary bar/restaurant.

Woodsy
Exactly...... I would find it hard to believe that if the Mount desired too, it wouldn't be allowed stayed tied up at the dock, and run as a restaurant. However that is not their business model, except during bike week. The business model is for the vessel to be out on the lake, they make a lot of money doing that.... even with out the food and liquor sales.

The Dive on the other hand, is in business to sell liqour and food. While yes it can do some charter work, but given its size and design it is extremely limited in that ability.

Business models are business models.... trying to compare the Mt. Washington to the The Dive, is like comparing apples to bananas...
__________________
Life is about how much time you can spend relaxing... I do it on an island that isn't really an island.....
LIforrelaxin is offline  
Old 04-23-2019, 11:31 AM   #734
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 1,636
Thanks: 404
Thanked 273 Times in 194 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Exactly...... I would find it hard to believe that if the Mount desired too, it wouldn't be allowed stayed tied up at the dock, and run as a restaurant. However that is not their business model, except during bike week. The business model is for the vessel to be out on the lake, they make a lot of money doing that.... even with out the food and liquor sales.

The Dive on the other hand, is in business to sell liqour and food. While yes it can do some charter work, but given its size and design it is extremely limited in that ability.

Business models are business models.... trying to compare the Mt. Washington to the The Dive, is like comparing apples to bananas...
Which one is the banana?
Biggd is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 12:23 PM   #735
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 1,879
Thanks: 346
Thanked 454 Times in 302 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Exactly...... I would find it hard to believe that if the Mount desired too, it wouldn't be allowed stayed tied up at the dock, and run as a restaurant. However that is not their business model, except during bike week. The business model is for the vessel to be out on the lake, they make a lot of money doing that.... even with out the food and liquor sales.

The Dive on the other hand, is in business to sell liqour and food. While yes it can do some charter work, but given its size and design it is extremely limited in that ability.

Business models are business models.... trying to compare the Mt. Washington to the The Dive, is like comparing apples to bananas...
I think their business models are similar in that they both depend on getting paid premium pricing to take patrons out on the lake. Both have high overhead given the cost of building the Dive and maintaining the Mount. I cannot see people paying premium pricing for alcohol and food just to sit at the pier in either case
joey2665 is online now  
Old 04-23-2019, 02:41 PM   #736
Taz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 217
Thanks: 1
Thanked 38 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
I cannot see people paying premium pricing for alcohol and food just to sit at the pier in either case
I have to agree with this statement. Isn't the reason the Dive was so popular was because you anchored your boat at a sandbar and walked through the water to board, eat and drink? If you eat and drink while its docked in Weirs its like every other restaurant, bar on the lake. Also, I tried the Dive last year and their drinks were more expensive and not as good as other lakeside bars. Same with the food.

To me the only thing that made it unique and stand out was it was a floating restaurant, bar that you needed your boat to get to.
Taz is offline  
Old 04-23-2019, 05:31 PM   #737
TiltonBB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Gilford, NH and Florida
Posts: 1,394
Thanks: 212
Thanked 757 Times in 309 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
I think their business models are similar in that they both depend on getting paid premium pricing to take patrons out on the lake. Both have high overhead given the cost of building the Dive and maintaining the Mount. I cannot see people paying premium pricing for alcohol and food just to sit at the pier in either case
Well, there are other local waterfront establishments where people are willing to pay a little more to eat and drink and they are not floating. The Margate, Akwa, Town Docks in Meredith, Naswa, come to mind.

So if you can be floating, and a little further out in the water, why would you think people would avoid The Dive but the other places I mentioned do plenty of business.

I don't think the only means to success for The Dive involve travelling. It will either catch on as a "hot spot" or not. I would expect that, and the future of The Dive, will be pretty evident by mid July.
TiltonBB is offline  
Old 04-23-2019, 05:34 PM   #738
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 1,879
Thanks: 346
Thanked 454 Times in 302 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Well, there are other local waterfront establishments where people are willing to pay a little more to eat and drink and they are not floating. The Margate, Akwa, Town Docks in Meredith, Naswa, come to mind.

So if you can be floating, and a little further out in the water, why would you think people would avoid The Dive but the other places I mentioned do plenty of business.

I don't think the only means to success for The Dive involve travelling. It will either catch on as a "hot spot" or not. I would expect that, and the future of The Dive, will be pretty evident by mid July.
Thats where we disagree. I believe the success will absolutely involve traveling out of the port and you are correct by mid season we will have the answer to both our questions. .


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is online now  
Old 05-01-2019, 12:56 PM   #739
webmaster
Moderator
 
webmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,124
Thanks: 297
Thanked 2,652 Times in 618 Posts
Default

The Dive has arrived at Weirs Beach. Watch live as they set it up:



https://flightcraft.lakehost.net/index.php/webcam/
webmaster is offline  
Old 05-01-2019, 01:03 PM   #740
AC2717
Senior Member
 
AC2717's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maynard, MA & Paugus Bay
Posts: 2,100
Thanks: 569
Thanked 246 Times in 178 Posts
Default

Well that stinks taking up gas dock space but only so much room, rent must have been good to take up the slip rental spots, or were those just in water demo spots? But at the same time it will not be there during the day....


thoughts of someone suffering from the winter blues and dealing with missing the lake......
__________________
Capt. of the "No Worries"
AC2717 is offline  
Old 05-02-2019, 03:03 AM   #741
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,221
Thanks: 192
Thanked 474 Times in 350 Posts
Default ..... that old miniature golf course

May 1 must be first day of their lease, because it done showed up on May 1.

Is too bad the old miniature golf course, very close by, was erased down to the bare, brown ground to be used for parking cars or storing boats or trailers. That miniature golf course had been there for many years and could be a good partner activity and overflow place for people to hang before or after hitting The Dive.

"Sorry, no room on The Dive right now, so how's 'bout a round of golf, and we put you on the list." ....... fore ...... next victim, please!

How difficult to build a new miniature golf course to accommodate The Dive overflow and it could be named 'the back nine at The Dive' ..... care for a drink while golfing?
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!
fatlazyless is offline  
Old 05-02-2019, 06:04 AM   #742
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 1,879
Thanks: 346
Thanked 454 Times in 302 Posts
Default

Wishing the Dive good luck in their new location. As I am not far from there I will definitely pay them a visit.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is online now  
Old 05-02-2019, 04:44 PM   #743
Cal Coon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Lakes Region
Posts: 192
Thanks: 68
Thanked 51 Times in 37 Posts
Default

I would rather go to the Dive from the street on a motorcycle ride, (while it's docked at the Weirs), than to get on board from my boat to it, while out on the water at some sand bar. I like being on MY boat when I'm on the water. The boating season is short for me, (weekends only), so when I go boating, I like to enjoy being on my boat as much, and as long as possible. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Dive does more business docked at the Weirs, than out on the water. Time will tell... I do wish it success either way though.
Cal Coon is offline  
Old 05-03-2019, 04:45 AM   #744
Reilly
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 150
Thanks: 461
Thanked 40 Times in 26 Posts
Default Laconia

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
I agree that was the basis of my opinion. I cannot see how they can serve at the pier if the MT is not allowed (obviously with the exception of bike week)
City of Laconia own the Weirs docks, they do not own the pier, 2 sets of laws
Reilly is offline  
Old 05-03-2019, 06:53 AM   #745
rsmlp
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 343
Thanks: 4
Thanked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Default webmaster

Just out of curiosity what was the thread with the most amount of posts and is this one closing in?

thx
rsmlp is offline  
Old 05-03-2019, 08:14 AM   #746
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 1,879
Thanks: 346
Thanked 454 Times in 302 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
City of Laconia own the Weirs docks, they do not own the pier, 2 sets of laws
Didn’t say they owned the pier but the do have to adhere to city and state liquor serving laws


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is online now  
Old 05-03-2019, 08:16 AM   #747
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 1,879
Thanks: 346
Thanked 454 Times in 302 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmlp View Post
Just out of curiosity what was the thread with the most amount of posts and is this one closing in?

thx
I would say no. Other hot topics were the speed limit and Erica Blizzard that I’m sure had many more posts


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is online now  
Old 05-03-2019, 08:45 AM   #748
webmaster
Moderator
 
webmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,124
Thanks: 297
Thanked 2,652 Times in 618 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmlp View Post
Just out of curiosity what was the thread with the most amount of posts and is this one closing in?

thx
The Boating Accident/Death off Diamond Island thread is the longest on the forum with 1104 replies (and 361,563 views).

This thread is catching up with 748 replies so far.
webmaster is offline  
Old 05-03-2019, 08:56 AM   #749
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 1,879
Thanks: 346
Thanked 454 Times in 302 Posts
Default

I am correct once in a blue moon
joey2665 is online now  
Old 05-03-2019, 09:07 AM   #750
Island Girl
Senior Member
 
Island Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Central MA
Posts: 2,334
Thanks: 16
Thanked 508 Times in 172 Posts
Default Now we canít see the Mount!

Price of progress I guess. Behave yourself on the Dive; we can see you.
__________________
Island Girl

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline  
Old 05-03-2019, 09:21 AM   #751
webmaster
Moderator
 
webmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,124
Thanks: 297
Thanked 2,652 Times in 618 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post
Price of progress I guess. Behave yourself on the Dive; we can see you.
I can't imagine that The Dive will remain at the gas dock and in the view of the webcam. That would really reduce the gas sales if half the dock was blocked. I think it is where it is now because it's easier to work on at the gas dock. I assume the pier has another position for it once the work is done.

I hope it does move since it will block the view of the Mount at its dock!

webmaster is offline  
Old 05-03-2019, 10:23 AM   #752
Hillcountry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: In the hills
Posts: 1,346
Thanks: 676
Thanked 274 Times in 180 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
I can't imagine that The Dive will remain at the gas dock and in the view of the webcam. That would really reduce the gas sales if half the dock was blocked. I think it is where it is now because it's easier to work on at the gas dock. I assume the pier has another position for it once the work is done.

I hope it does move since it will block the view of the Mount at its dock!

I would hope so as well! I often use this cam to judge the conditions off The Wiers before calling for valet...
Hillcountry is offline  
Old 05-05-2019, 05:53 AM   #753
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,221
Thanks: 192
Thanked 474 Times in 350 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
I can't imagine that The Dive will remain at the gas dock and in the view of the webcam.

..... oh well, wait and see, The Dive should quick put up a happening sign so it shows in your cam shot .... just to get some freebie publicity here ....

.... who knows but maybe The Dive moves to the right, a couple slots closer to the Mount, and installs a new tie-up, tall tree post into the lake, or something?
.............

Having a floating bar and restaurant so close to the gasoline pumps like that, is very unusual, plus it is a remote access location with a down and about access from the street, there .... tomorrow, May 10 is supposedly the opening day ..... wonder what the Laconia Fire Dept thinks about this situation?

As a kid growing up, can recall how the fueling station at the Charlestown Naval Shipyard was way far away from their officer's club bar/nightclub/restaurant, and the Navy would never ever allow a bar/nightclub/restaurant to set up at a gasoline dock ..... never in 244-years ... is just not the Navy way.

What does the Navy and Coast Guard do for fire safety around their fuel docks? They limit access and there is no smoking.
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 05-09-2019 at 02:55 PM.
fatlazyless is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.23555 seconds