Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2016, 05:54 PM   #1
SteveA
Deceased Member
 
SteveA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Gilford, NH
Posts: 2,311
Thanks: 1,070
Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Bobcat in Gilford and a Sunset

He/She had eyes on a couple of squirrels in my backyard.. They spotted him and took off.

Name:  bobcat_9-17-16_in_yard.jpg
Views: 2291
Size:  84.4 KB
__________________
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry he'll be a mile away and barefoot!" unknown
SteveA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to SteveA For This Useful Post:
Airedale1 (09-20-2016), Cindido (09-24-2016), Fjr05 (09-26-2016), gillygirl (09-19-2016), GTO (09-20-2016), ishoot308 (09-18-2016), Jersey Ed (09-19-2016), jetlag100 (09-19-2016), Just Sold (12-23-2016), Newbiesaukee (09-18-2016), pjard (09-18-2016), Rattlesnake Gal (09-19-2016), Slickcraft (09-18-2016), trfour (09-18-2016), windsail (01-14-2017), Winni P (09-19-2016)
Old 09-18-2016, 07:00 PM   #2
pjard
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Gilford, NH
Posts: 558
Thanks: 336
Thanked 146 Times in 82 Posts
Default

I would take off too! Great photo!
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:53 AM   #3
donnamatrix
Senior Member
 
donnamatrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Moultonboro
Posts: 832
Thanks: 24
Thanked 257 Times in 120 Posts
Default beautiful!

Beautiful creature
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:33 AM   #4
SteveA
Deceased Member
 
SteveA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Gilford, NH
Posts: 2,311
Thanks: 1,070
Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default BobCat Day 2

Looks like he/she decided to come back today. I called Fish and Game and they confirmed it would indeed go after housecats.

They advised to "bang pots and pans" every time you see it. They claimed the cat would leave the area. I set up my wind chimes in the middle of the yard and they told me that would help. Seems they don't like noise.
Attached Images
 
__________________
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry he'll be a mile away and barefoot!" unknown
SteveA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SteveA For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (09-20-2016), jetlag100 (09-19-2016), Misha888 (12-31-2016), Orion (09-20-2016)
Old 09-19-2016, 10:10 AM   #5
Hillcountry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: In the hills
Posts: 1,236
Thanks: 614
Thanked 245 Times in 157 Posts
Default

Beautiful kitty...
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2016, 02:05 PM   #6
jetlag100
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Revere, Massachusetts and Moultonborough, N.H.
Posts: 305
Thanks: 223
Thanked 76 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Such beauty! Why would anyone want to hunt these beautiful cats? Nice pictures Steven......
jetlag100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:49 PM   #7
Hillcountry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: In the hills
Posts: 1,236
Thanks: 614
Thanked 245 Times in 157 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag100 View Post
Such beauty! Why would anyone want to hunt these beautiful cats? Nice pictures Steven......
I would hunt them if legal...and I still think they are beautiful creatures.
Trouble is, without the use of dogs (as in Maine) you'd never get close to one unless, perhaps, in a tree stand waiting for deer. Moot point though as they are still protected.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:11 PM   #8
noreast
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 649
Thanks: 317
Thanked 120 Times in 93 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
I would hunt them if legal...and I still think they are beautiful creatures.
Trouble is, without the use of dogs (as in Maine) you'd never get close to one unless, perhaps, in a tree stand waiting for deer. Moot point though as they are still protected.
If you can kill it with your bare hands you can keep it, otherwise stay home, using dogs to kill bears or cats, is pathetic. Like I said in another thread, If you're not going to eat it, don't kill it. There's nothing more disgusting than a trophy room. And yes I use to hunt. Now just TRY to fish mostly.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:12 PM   #9
Hillcountry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: In the hills
Posts: 1,236
Thanks: 614
Thanked 245 Times in 157 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast View Post
If you can kill it with your bare hands you can keep it, otherwise stay home, using dogs to kill bears or cats, is pathetic. Like I said in another thread, If you're not going to eat it, don't kill it. There's nothing more disgusting than a trophy room. And yes I use to hunt. Now just TRY to fish mostly.
You're entitled to your opinion but if a state's wildlife department deems it lawful to hunt cats or bears with dogs, then it is legal and part of a tradition that began long before us or our Grandfathers for that matter.
I don't use dogs but have no problem with those that do so, legally.
Is dragging a worm or lure through water with all kinds of modern, electronics, down riggers, sonar, fish finders, etc. any different? I don't think so.
Pursuing happiness in life takes many lawful, forms...
That's called freedom.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
noreast (09-20-2016)
Old 09-20-2016, 11:21 AM   #10
noreast
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 649
Thanks: 317
Thanked 120 Times in 93 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
You're entitled to your opinion but if a state's wildlife department deems it lawful to hunt cats or bears with dogs, then it is legal and part of a tradition that began long before us or our Grandfathers for that matter.
I don't use dogs but have no problem with those that do so, legally.
Is dragging a worm or lure through water with all kinds of modern, electronics, down riggers, sonar, fish finders, etc. any different? I don't think so.
Pursuing happiness in life takes many lawful, forms...
That's called freedom.
I agree, I fully except I'm a hypocrite. I justify it by telling myself that a Bass would eat it's child, while a cat, dog or bear will fight you to the death. If someones hunting with dogs to feed there family I wouldn't say a word. I like a "sport" where the underdog has a chance to win. Right or wrong I questions anyone's character that kills "in pursuit of happiness". It was lawful to kill a human at different points in time as well, The Romans loved it. I just hope we can evolve. All my friends are hunters so you can question my integrity also.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to noreast For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (09-20-2016)
Old 09-20-2016, 01:54 PM   #11
Newbiesaukee
Senior Member
 
Newbiesaukee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Coral Gables, winter; Long Island, summer
Posts: 931
Thanks: 471
Thanked 287 Times in 151 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast View Post
I agree, I fully except I'm a hypocrite. I justify it by telling myself that a Bass would eat it's child, while a cat, dog or bear will fight you to the death. If someones hunting with dogs to feed there family I wouldn't say a word. I like a "sport" where the underdog has a chance to win. Right or wrong I questions anyone's character that kills "in pursuit of happiness". It was lawful to kill a human at different points in time as well, The Romans loved it. I just hope we can evolve. All my friends are hunters so you can question my integrity also.
Not exactly on point, but...

I have fished off and on most of my life always preferring to eat what I caught; but I also did catch and release. My life-long dream was to retire on a lake, stand on my dock and catch fish. Thirteen years ago we purchased our Winni property and very soon I was on my dock at 5 am and caught a small bass. I could not properly remove the lure and the fish died. I decided I could never do this again and have not.

This is in no way a criticism of either of the posters. Sometimes right and wrong is not black or white and ethical decisions are often those of conscience.

Legality and morality is a whole different discussion.

Back to normal programming...that is a beautiful photo of a beautiful creature.
__________________


"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
ApS (09-20-2016), Hillcountry (09-20-2016), noreast (09-20-2016)
Old 09-21-2016, 11:30 AM   #12
Airedale1
Senior Member
 
Airedale1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Laconia
Posts: 527
Thanks: 531
Thanked 1,278 Times in 234 Posts
Default

Excellent capture!
__________________
The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit. Nelson Henderson (1865-1943)
Airedale1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 01:16 PM   #13
Hillcountry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: In the hills
Posts: 1,236
Thanks: 614
Thanked 245 Times in 157 Posts
Default

Got a pic of this one, a bit more of a sinister photo of a cat on the hunt, yesterday morning on my trail cam...
They're out there!
Attached Images
 
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:44 PM   #14
Woody38
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 317
Thanks: 34
Thanked 49 Times in 33 Posts
Post

I understand there is a bobcat having been spotted in the vicinity of Lucerne Avenue in Laconia.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquholic.

Life is not about avoiding the storm. Life is about learning to dance in the rain.
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Woody38 For This Useful Post:
windsail (01-14-2017)
Old 12-23-2016, 02:21 PM   #15
rrr
Senior Member
 
rrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Winter Harbor
Posts: 213
Thanks: 73
Thanked 37 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Okay, this is my first time attaching a pic. If it works, you should be seeing a pic I took one morning this week at my home on Winter Harbor. Just strolling around checking things out. A few minutes later I saw him walking across the ice.
Attached Images
 
rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to rrr For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (12-23-2016), Cindido (12-23-2016), Greene's Basin Girl (12-24-2016), Hillcountry (12-23-2016), Just Sold (12-23-2016), Misha888 (12-31-2016), Newbiesaukee (12-25-2016), Pineedles (12-23-2016), salty dog (12-23-2016), Slickcraft (12-23-2016), tis (12-23-2016), upthesaukee (12-23-2016), webmaster (12-24-2016), Whimsey (12-25-2016), Winni P (12-24-2016), Winnigirl (12-23-2016)
Old 12-23-2016, 02:59 PM   #16
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,349
Thanks: 412
Thanked 719 Times in 499 Posts
Default

Thanks for posting, rrr! Great capture!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 04:33 PM   #17
Cindido
Senior Member
 
Cindido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Wolfeboro
Posts: 144
Thanks: 184
Thanked 52 Times in 28 Posts
Default Bobcat Winter Harbor

Thanks for posting. I live close to Winter Harbor and have been noticing large paw prints in the snow. Thought coyotes but now this is another possibility. Beautiful but I don't want to meet him while I'm out walking my dog
Cindido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 06:12 PM   #18
Slickcraft
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Welch Island and West Alton
Posts: 2,408
Thanks: 752
Thanked 1,275 Times in 590 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindido View Post
Thanks for posting. I live close to Winter Harbor and have been noticing large paw prints in the snow. Thought coyotes but now this is another possibility. Beautiful but I don't want to meet him while I'm out walking my dog
Not to worry, you would not meet one out walking your dog. They are very wary.

Cat tracks are more round than canine tracks and the claws don't show as they are retracted. Claw marks in the track = canine.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
Cindido (12-23-2016)
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.66801 seconds