Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-29-2024, 04:28 PM   #1
retired

Default Slalom Course

Back in 1978 there was a slalom course that someone set up in a small cove on the right side of Winter Harbor. We used to ski it with my 16ft Renken with an 80hp Merc. Back then I was in my early 20s and was able to make all the buoys. Not sure what speed since my speedometer was very accurate. Does anyone know who set up that course and why it was taken down?
retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 06:38 PM   #2
tis

Thanked 1,436 Times in 988 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired View Post
Back in 1978 there was a slalom course that someone set up in a small cove on the right side of Winter Harbor. We used to ski it with my 16ft Renken with an 80hp Merc. Back then I was in my early 20s and was able to make all the buoys. Not sure what speed since my speedometer was very accurate. Does anyone know who set up that course and why it was taken down?
I remember it and I skied it but I don't know who set it up and what happened to it. It was right by the old airport. APS, do you know who set that up?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 08:23 PM   #3
ApS

Red face Here's All I Know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired View Post
^
Yes, that is Johnson's Cove. (Ike Johnson).

Back then, Johnson's Cove might have had a fishing boat or two on any one weekend. Turtles climbed floating timbers reclaimed from forest giants wrecked by the Hurricane of 1938. The timbers were cut into dimensional lumber at the large mill sited next to Forest Road. The mill and its floating "rafts" of logs (hundreds) dominated the cove for decades, falling into extreme disrepair until new houses appeared across the street. (Making for poor "curb appeal").The entire two-story mill and its giant circular saw blade then disappeared.

Funny that over decades, "rafts" of logs got replaced by "rafts" of party boats!

The slalom course was new to me and my bride in 1980.

But nice to have confirmation of my several posts (here at the forum) regarding that slalom course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I remember it and I skied it but I don't know who set it up and what happened to it. It was right by the old airport. APS, do you know who set that up?
No.

Old 05-30-2024, 04:25 AM   #4
tis

Thanked 1,436 Times in 988 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
^
Yes, that is Johnson's Cove. (Ike Johnson).

Back then, Johnson's Cove might have had a fishing boat or two on any one weekend. Turtles climbed floating timbers reclaimed from forest giants wrecked by the Hurricane of 1938. The timbers were cut into dimensional lumber at the large mill sited next to Forest Road. The mill and its floating "rafts" of logs (hundreds) dominated the cove for decades, falling into extreme disrepair until new houses appeared across the street. (Making for poor "curb appeal").The entire two-story mill and its giant circular saw blade then disappeared.

Funny that over decades, "rafts" of logs got replaced by "rafts" of party boats!

The slalom course was new to me and my bride in 1980.

But nice to have confirmation of my several posts (here at the forum) regarding that slalom course!

No.

The course wasn't IN Johnson Cove though, it was above it, closer to where the Horn's used to live.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote