Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Outdoor Recreation
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-19-2004, 08:49 AM   #1
Grant

Default Dive Flag Law

I was shopping for a dive flag for use at the Lake and wanted to make sure that the one I was eyeing conformed to "code." It turns out that, in NH, the bottom of a dive flag must be at least three feet above the surface of the water. I could be mistaken, but in all my dives in the Lake, I don't think I've ever used a flag that was that tall. And this includes charters with shops. The problem, I think, is that there are very few floats on the market that allow the bottom of a flag to be at least three feet above the surface.

Does anyone know where you can find such a flag float?

Here's the law:

New Hampshire Revised Statute Title XXII, Chapter 270, Section 270:31, Scuba Diving and Snorkeling:

I. Any person engaged in scuba diving on any of the public waters of the state and any person engaged in snorkeling in normally traveled navigable public waters shall have a diver's flag, consisting of a red flag with a diagonal white stripe, displayed indicating that diving activities are in progress. The bottom of said flag shall extend at least 3 feet above the surface of the water, the view of which shall be unobstructed for 360 degrees.

II. Any person engaged in scuba diving or snorkeling shall remain within 75 feet of their dive flag. Boaters shall remain a minimum of 150 feet away from any posted dive flag, unless there are circumstances which prevent the operator from maintaining a minimum of 150 feet, in which case the operator shall maintain headway speed.

III. The commissioner of safety may adopt rules pursuant to RSA 541-A relative to restricting scuba diving between sunset and sunrise.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote