Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-01-2009, 05:30 PM   #1
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts
Default Big accident on RT 25 in Moultonborough.

25 is closed right now at Redding Ln by the Gas Depot we all love. So stay away......
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:39 PM   #2
jniff101

Default :(

The road was blocked until 6:45 pm. there were 3 cars involved in the crash with serious injuries. A friend of mine that lives on that road said possible death. So sad, so close to the holidays.
jniff101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:51 PM   #3
hawthorne

I arrived at the scene of the accident shortly after it happened. I sat in my vehicle and watched many emergency vehicles arrive. I too, thought that there may have been a death involved. We all sat there for @ 45 minutes. Sad to watch, but so professionally handled. What a tragedy.
hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:02 AM   #4
This'nThat

Default Injuries, no deaths

WMUR reports 4 injuries, none life-threatening.

Last edited by This'nThat; 12-02-2009 at 07:50 AM.
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:01 AM   #5
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts
Default Good news

Of course no one wants to see injuries (esp to a 4 yo) but after the initial reports, I am glad to see that the injuries are non life threatening!

I hope it wasn't a case of texting and driving.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2009, 08:13 AM   #6
fatlazyless

On Monday, there was another head-on between two cars on Route 104 in front of the Country Furniture store with injuries all around.

Doing something routine like making a long reach for a cassette from under the seat can be enough to zip you across the center line.....and into a head-on. Head-on collisions....ouch....what a headache!
Old 12-02-2009, 08:20 AM   #7
wifi

Default wheels cut

Oh so many years ago, in drivers ed class, we were taught not to turn the wheels when waiting to make a turn, for just this very reason.

So many people these days sit with their wheels turned waiting for the opportunity to cut someone off. Also, at an intersection, one should keep track of the cars behind as well as in front and to the sides. Not picking on anyone in this accident, BUT,

The driving habits of people in general seem to be getting worse and worse as the years tick by. (or maybe I'm just becoming an OF?)
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:47 AM   #8
twoplustwo

So many people these days sit with their wheels turned waiting for the opportunity to cut someone off. Also, at an intersection, one should keep track of the cars behind as well as in front and to the sides. Not picking on anyone in this accident, BUT,

Trying to turn onto Redding Lane at rush hour can be a nightmare, so the tendency to have wheels turned and be ready for an opportunity is something any normal person might do. In this case, she was waiting to turn and got rear ended - the 23yo who slammed into her rear end is at fault here, wheels turned or not. Keeping track of her wouldn't have done anyone any good, there were no brake marks, she just slammed into her.

Thankfully none of the injuries were severe, especially with a little one involved.

I do wonder why the umpteen cops we have in this town couldn't have set up a detour up Bean Rd to Red Hill Road and prevented the traffic mess that took place. It would've been easier for the emergency vehicles involved if a detour had significantly reduced the traffic sitting around waiting, in their way. Those of us who know that route were barely effected by the mess. Those who didn't were screwed.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:07 AM   #9
Yosemite Sam

Is this the spot where the accident took place?
Attached Images

Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:18 AM   #10
jeffatsquam

Never ever turn your wheels when waiting to make a left turn on undivided highway
My mother taught me this long before I got to drivers ed my children have also heard this before they have taken drivers ed

My 17 yo drives this road every day not to say nothing would ever happen but she has been well schooled in what a poorly designed overburden road can have in store

I totally agree on the set up of the detour
jeffatsquam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:36 AM   #11
Lucky1

Default Thank you for the information

I never knew to not turn my wheels when waiting to turn and honestly will check today to see if I do that.

Does anyone else think that there is a speed trap set up going down Redding Lane when you turn to the right after the entrance to Krainwood? You have to ride your brake to not go above the speed limit of 30 and there is often a police officer there during season to give tickets saying that you were going 40 in a 30 mile zone.

I know to go slowly in that area when I am going there. Speed does kill.

Happy to hear there were no deaths in the RTE 25 accident.
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:27 AM   #12
JPC

Default Wheels turned while waiting

The primary reason you don't turn your wheels while waiting at an intersection is so if you get rear-ended your vehicle doesn't get pushed into the opposite lane (oncoming traffic). This happened to a person on 101 in Bedford a few years ago. He got slammed form behind and pushed into the on coming traffic because his wheels were turned. Unfortunately, he died.
JPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:47 AM   #13
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPC View Post
The primary reason you don't turn your wheels while waiting at an intersection is so if you get rear-ended your vehicle doesn't get pushed into the opposite lane (oncoming traffic).
This is driver's ed 101 yet I'm amazed at all the people I see doing this. It would also help if people in this position actually put their blinker on (heaven forbid) to alert traffic coming up behind them. Of course if your spare hand (the one not holding the steering wheel) is holding a cell phone the blinker doesn't get turned on.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:54 PM   #14
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts
Default Bottom Line

Let's not ping on this poor mother who was rear ended.

Some are making assumptions that her wheels were turned. Perhaps she was struck on the right rear bumper and that propelled her into oncoming traffic?
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:35 PM   #15
tummyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
I never knew to not turn my wheels when waiting to turn and honestly will check today to see if I do that.

Does anyone else think that there is a speed trap set up going down Redding Lane when you turn to the right after the entrance to Krainwood? You have to ride your brake to not go above the speed limit of 30 and there is often a police officer there during season to give tickets saying that you were going 40 in a 30 mile zone.

The Redding Lane speed trap is a mostly a seasonal item....most often on summer weekends, so out-of state drivers or vacationers get hit with tickets. Wonder how many contractors / truckers EVER get ticketed in this spot? Bet the answer is close to if not exactly ZERO. It is just plain unfair....a 30 MPH zone in this spot is just plain offensive to many. You cannot drive this stretch without major braking and there are few homes in the stretch that is set up for speeding. Just to show how much it is a trap, there are no speed signs going the opposite direction. Interesting.... Same thing as you enter Center Harbor going east. Speed signs don't match in location....you can do 55 on one side of the road legally and 30 on the other in the same road locations. And the 30 MPH speed sign eastbound is behind a tree branch that is never cut back.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:53 PM   #16
twoplustwo

Default Yes, Yosemite

That is where it took place. The woman who was rear ended was oncoming, the truck she was pushed into was going in the direction that picture shows, towards the former Rob's Gas Depot.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:29 PM   #17
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

There are a few spots around here that turning lanes. One of them is right there. In the summer you have to constantly watch yourself at that intersection because it is on an almost blind turn. Traffic is coming up the hill in both directions, and around corners in both directions. If someone is taking a turn there and it is dark out you don't always see them stopped there. the worst is when someone has let their brakes off and no brake lights are showing. Another turning lane is needed at the 109/25 intersection. People get on your a$$, ummm, bumper when you are trying to make a turn onto 109. People aren't just driving worse they simply have no patience or manners.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:55 AM   #18
Greene's Basin Girl

Default Redding Lane Speed Trap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post

I live off Redding Lane and the Moultonborough Police love to hang around the area of the old spring, especially on Saturday mornings. One day in the summer there weren't any police cars around, but I saw a cop come out of the woods and stop a driver for speeding. I am not sure how the cop could have clocked the driver's speed.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:09 AM   #19
ApS

Cool It's Physics...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
"...People get on your...bumper when you are trying to make a turn onto 109..."
It's not intentional, but they're doing you a favor when you're both at a standstill: a collision from behind will be far less damaging to the occupants of both cars when both cars' masses are close together.

There would be far fewer injuries (and less-severe injuries), if the two stopped cars are actually touching!
ApS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:21 PM   #20
ARV

Default Tummyman...

...what are you talking about?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

This intersection has ALWAYS been a problem - winter, spring, summer AND fall! Too bad that the folks down Fox Hollow started a petition to have their intersection looked at for fixing and now the Redding Lane intersection isn't going to get altered at all.

And I'm sorry, I drive 25 several times a day and the speed limit is the same on BOTH sides of the road with several signs between the Center Harbor lights and 109 South.
ARV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:45 PM   #21
PennyPenny

[QUOTE=ARV;113818]...what are you talking about?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I agree that the speed limits are the same on both sides of the road. For something to do one of these days when I am out Christmas shopping, I will check and see what the speed limit says and where the speed limit signs are posted. I don't think the area of road is a speed trap. It is a stretch of road that drivers really need to be careful about.
PennyPenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:07 PM   #22
tummyman

Check the exact location of the 55MPH RT25 westbound sign after Canoe....vs the eastbound 30MPH before Canoe..... You must slow to 30MPH Eastbound before you come to the 55MPH sign westbound.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:13 PM   #23
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARV View Post
...what are you talking about?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

This intersection has ALWAYS been a problem - winter, spring, summer AND fall! Too bad that the folks down Fox Hollow started a petition to have their intersection looked at for fixing and now the Redding Lane intersection isn't going to get altered at all.

And I'm sorry, I drive 25 several times a day and the speed limit is the same on BOTH sides of the road with several signs between the Center Harbor lights and 109 South.
I own houses both off Fox Hollow Road and Redding Lane. Both intersections with Route 25 are horrible!
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:29 AM   #24
twoplustwo

Default Fox Hollow

Too bad that the folks down Fox Hollow started a petition to have their intersection looked at for fixing and now the Redding Lane intersection isn't going to get altered at all.

I'm still trying to figure out how Redding Lane, being tops on the danger list to fix, got completely blown off after one appearance by a Lamprey at a selectmen's meeting. Research showed a higher traffic count and accident rate at Redding Lane which is why it was at the top of the list to fix (Fox Hollow was 6th!); fixing it would benefit more people. Apparently some people are more important than some facts here in M'Boro.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:09 AM   #25
Redsoxlover

Default Speed Limit Signs

Check the exact location of the 55MPH RT25 westbound sign after Canoe....vs the eastbound 30MPH before Canoe..... You must slow to 30MPH Eastbound before you come to the 55MPH sign westbound. I checked this out , it is true!
Redsoxlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:54 AM   #26
jeffatsquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxlover View Post
Check the exact location of the 55MPH RT25 westbound sign after Canoe....vs the eastbound 30MPH before Canoe..... You must slow to 30MPH Eastbound before you come to the 55MPH sign westbound. I checked this out , it is true!
Well of course you do . Dose this really need to be explained to you
jeffatsquam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:33 PM   #27
breathe easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post
Too bad that the folks down Fox Hollow started a petition to have their intersection looked at for fixing and now the Redding Lane intersection isn't going to get altered at all.

I'm still trying to figure out how Redding Lane, being tops on the danger list to fix, got completely blown off after one appearance by a Lamprey at a selectmen's meeting. Research showed a higher traffic count and accident rate at Redding Lane which is why it was at the top of the list to fix (Fox Hollow was 6th!); fixing it would benefit more people. Apparently some people are more important than some facts here in M'Boro.
I attended a number of those selectmen meetings and the rationale was that the 2/3 funding by the state for a project even though not tops on the list was better than no state funds for the real number one on the list, Redding Lane. So just like that, Fox Hollow was moved from 6th to 1st. What was approved at town meeeting for about $450K is now over $660K.

http://www.moultonborough.org/Pages/...port111408.pdf
breathe easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:27 PM   #28
NHKathy

wow - a little off topic in this thread now?
i keep looking, thinking i may read something new about the accident or how those involved are doing....
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:53 AM   #29
twoplustwo

Default huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHKathy View Post
i keep looking, thinking i may read something new about the accident or how those involved are doing....
The accident happened at 25 and Redding Lane. Redding Lane was tops on the list for improvement due to it's high accident count and traffic volume. It got bumped down. What is off topic about not fixing something that needs to be fixed?
Old 12-09-2009, 07:57 AM   #30
Redsoxlover

Default Everone is fine.

Everyone involved in the accident are okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffatsquam View Post
Well of course you do . Dose this really need to be explained to you
Just questioning how the same stretch of road can have two different speeds posted, please forgive my ignorance it's been awhile since Driver's Ed.
Redsoxlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:59 AM   #31
twoplustwo

Default speed limit signs

There is a 35 with an arrow sign warning of the impending slowdown as you are on the stretch headed towards Canoe. It is significantly before the 55 marker, but it is a warning sign, not a speed limit sign. The actual speed limit sign is one tenth of a mile away from the sign on the opposing side. I clocked it yesterday. One tenth of a mile is hardly worthy of complaint.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:17 AM   #32
ApS

Thumbs up Heads-UP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHKathy View Post
It may be , but I think it's getting much more interestinger.

My folks, who drive through there much more often than I do, will get a "heads-up"—for sure!
ApS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:36 AM   #33
NHKathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post
The accident happened at 25 and Redding Lane. Redding Lane was tops on the list for improvement due to it's high accident count and traffic volume. It got bumped down. What is off topic about not fixing something that needs to be fixed?

I'm sorry - i'm not saying that the discussion is "off topic" as in a bad topic, all I meant was that the discussion in the Thread entitled "Big Accident on RT 25" has gone off the original topic being discussed...
sorry!
Old 12-09-2009, 10:43 AM   #34
NHKathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxlover View Post
Everyone involved in the accident are okay.

THANKS for the info!