Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2009, 01:04 PM   #1
CanisLupusArctos

Default Sunday Snowstorm, 1/18/09

Despite earlier predictions for only about 6 inches of snow at the northwest end of the lake, Black Cat Island Weather Station now has 8.5 inches of snow from today's storm and snow continues to fall heavily. This will easily stack up to more than a foot.

The reason is the major fluff factor plus the fact that topography is playing a role today. East-facing slopes are getting the most out of this one, because the moisture is getting funneled in from the Atlantic. This end of the lake has also been known to get ocean influence long before Laconia or Moultonborough Center does (located south and north by a few miles each.) That is because the lake itself is a NW-SE elongated waterway and has mountains on either side that act as a funnel for any weather blowing from either direction.

Amounts vary greatly around the area. The area from Rochester to Alton and along the east side of Mts. Blue Job and Major is also doing well with the snow today, and will likely end up with more than a foot.

Center Harbor will also do well, east of the Squam Mountains... and will likely end up with 15 inches or so.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:20 PM   #2
Ropetow

Default It's measurement time

Is Yuki ready? Does he go out to measure wearing boots, or is he a rugged NH cat?

Last edited by Ropetow; 01-18-2009 at 02:21 PM. Reason: typo
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:58 PM   #3
CanisLupusArctos

11.1 inches at Black Cat... 21 inches on the ground. It has stopped snowing but will probably start back up at some point before midnight.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:31 PM   #4
This'nThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanisLupusArctos View Post
11.1 inches at Black Cat.
I notice that the 11.1 inches of snow was produced by only 0.38 inches of water. That's a 30:1 expansion! Very unusual around here. The snow was so dry that even the slush piled up at the end of the driveway by snowplows was light.

BTW, the "average" snow to liquid ratio is 10:1. A 30:1 ratio is considered "extreme".
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:49 AM   #5
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default About 1.8 Yuki's

What a beautiful morning. Just about 12" of fresh snow.

This is the Gunstock River this AM, just behind the house. When my flatlander friends ask "How can you stand living in NH in the winter", I'm going to show them this picture!

Name:  Gunstock Rive Gilford 1-19-09 1.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  181.9 KB
Old 01-19-2009, 09:23 AM   #6
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
When my flatlander friends ask "How can you stand living in NH in the winter", I'm going to show them this picture!

Attachment 2301
That should shut'em up for a while. Nice picture!
Old 01-19-2009, 12:27 PM   #7
Lynnio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
What a beautiful morning. Just about 12" of fresh snow.

This is the Gunstock River this AM, just behind the house. When my flatlander friends ask "How can you stand living in NH in the winter", I'm going to show them this picture!
I'm coming out of a year and a half of lurkdom to make my first post and say WOW -- that is an absolutely gorgeous photo. If all goes as planned, within the next year my husband and I will be NH Lakes Region residents. Looking forward to the gorgeous year-round scenery up close and in person!
Lynnio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:36 PM   #8
CanisLupusArctos

Incredible photo, SteveA! You should submit that to MVSB's calendar contest for next year.

This'N'That, thanks for bringing up the unusual snow-water ratio. Much more common for out west than for here. Out west, they get a Pacific moisture feed plus dry continental air merging over the mountains. Here, we just had the Atlantic feed merging with dry continental air. Usually the Atlantic feed wins because it's so close. Not this time!

We ended up with 13.5 inches on Black Cat.

Once more I noticed the lake's effect on bringing the ocean's influence inland. This happened last winter a couple times when a southeast wind reached Center Harbor and made a changeover to sleet, even when Moultonborough and Laconia were still snowing.

In the storm snow totals I saw that the amounts along the immediate shores of the lake, as far NW as Center Harbor, were all in the jackpot together. I think the lake acted as a runway for bringing the ocean moisture farther inland than it otherwise would've reached.

The lake is aligned NW-SE and has mountains on its north and south sides as well as the NW end. Alton Bay is open to the SE. I am guessing the ocean's influence enters around there, and blows along the main part of the lake until it reaches the Squam Mountains at the other end.

One more localized effect we had today: There were some very nice fog-and-light effects on the lake this morning around sunrise. I checked the obs around the area and they were all in the 20s. We were 9 degrees on the island. My guess is, the lake ice was absorbing heat from the "warmer" air mass above it, thus keeping the islands and immediate shores colder than the rest of the area -- just like what happens in spring.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:21 PM   #9
Waterbaby

Absolutely beautiful, Steve -- TY for sharing! (Now, if I could figure out how to make that my desktop background, I may not dislike this winter so much!)
Old 01-19-2009, 10:51 PM   #10
Resident 2B

WB,

Assuming your are running Windows, just right click the photo and select Set As Background in the box that appears. That should do it.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:28 AM   #11
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Blush..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbaby View Post
Absolutely beautiful, Steve -- TY for sharing! (Now, if I could figure out how to make that my desktop background, I may not dislike this winter so much!)
Thanks all, just lucky to be in the right place at the right time. It does make a nice wall paper.

The right click and select and "set as background" worked for me.