Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-12-2014, 10:53 AM   #1
nightrider

Default Ice thickness

I was on Winter Harbor Saturday Jan 11 near the Osseo docks. There is from 9" to 11" of ice in the area. The ice thickness increased from about 6" on the weekend of Jan 4/5. That is, at least, some good news. The shanty is on the ice and it should be OK through the current warm up. Rain was falling on and off during the day. In addition to my tip up holes, I drilled several more "water letter outers" aroumd the shanty to drain the puddling water on the ice. It is truly amazing to watch the water pour down the holes. If this is not done, there can be several inches of water that puddlles on the ice during heavy rain with no where to go. Only one flag..no fish. Heavy fog on the ice. No others ventured out as far as I could tell.
Sleds will be on the trailer until significantly more snow is received. This is very disappointing given the great start of the season we had. Sounds like we are back to square one with trail conditions. Oh well...it was 85 in the shanty and the beer was cold....and the Pats won too!
nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nightrider For This Useful Post:
FLAG! (01-16-2014), ITD (01-12-2014), surfnsnow (01-12-2014)