Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues > Speed Limits
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

View Poll Results: How do you feel about a speed limit on Lake Winnipesaukee?
I strongly feel the state should implement a 45 mph speed limit! 34 23.61%
I think a speed limit on certain parts of the lake might be appropriate, perhaps higher than 45mph. 17 11.81%
I don’t care either way. 6 4.17%
I don’t think we need a speed limit. 26 18.06%
I am strongly opposed to any speed limit on the lake! 61 42.36%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-2005, 11:42 AM   #1
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Speed Limit Poll

In regards to a speed limit on Lake Winnipesaukee, I would like to take a poll to see where the forum consensus lies.
Forum thread on speed limit Forum thread on speed limit

Last edited by Rattlesnake Gal; 01-15-2005 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:57 PM   #2
Bear Islander

This poll might do better and have a more accurate result if it were in the General Discussion forum instead of a forum for boating enthusiasts.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:51 PM   #3
Outlaw

Default Thanks

Thanks RG for the poll and the link to the thread. Great job !
Old 01-15-2005, 03:21 PM   #4
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Hi Outlaw...nice to see you having the time to post once again. You've been missed.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:16 PM   #5
Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee
Hi Outlaw...nice to see you having the time to post once again. You've been missed.
so much UTS, I felt so out of touch not visiting this site. Got to realign my priorites and make some time to check it out every week.

Think I might go to Concord on Wednesday, just to see what happens with this whole speed limit proposal.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:43 PM   #6
upthesaukee

I gotta do the work thingee, but I did write to my representatives. Copy of letter (email) is in Speed Limit Thread. Sent email this morning and got two replies already. See my comments in that thread. Nice to hear from you again.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:45 PM   #7
Just Sold

Thumbs up

RG

A poll would be good and I bet it would be heavy toward no speed limit but we should see what happens.

Outlaw, it is good to see you posting. Don't stay away so long the next time.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:16 PM   #8
FormulaOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold
RG

A poll would be good and I bet it would be heavy toward no speed limit but we should see what happens.

Outlaw, it is good to see you posting. Don't stay away so long the next time.

So far it appears that it is 2 to 1 against speed limits. This is a good thing.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:21 PM   #9
Bear Lover

Angry Powerboaters are "fixing" the poll

There is an outside group attempting to "fix" the outcome of this poll. FormulaOutlaw and a bunch of his friends on offshoreonly.com are registering here just so they can vote against the speed limit.

Quote:
by Formula Outlaw

Just received notification that my "registration" has been "validated" on the main Winnipesaukee.com website. Going to respectfully add my two cents and vote on their poll.

I just voted on their poll. Right now it is 2 to 1 against any speed limits.

I also responded to three idiots on that Forum. I registered as FormulaOutlaw. Think they'll figure out I don't own a blowbote?

Talk about the old "I don't like it so you can't do it" attitudes. I'm glad I don't have to deal with that mess. It would be good for more OSO members to register and vote on that poll I think. It might just help "our brothers" in their fight.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...nipesaukee.com
Old 01-17-2005, 03:48 PM   #10
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Default Offshore Only Voters

If they are users of the lake, isn't that a good thing that they are voting?
Old 01-17-2005, 04:12 PM   #11
Bear Lover

They are NOT users of the lake. They are Powerboaters registering at this forum in order to vote on the poll and have an effect on the passage of the speed limit. They think this poll may be looked at by legislators and help defeat the new law. They will do anything to stop a speed limit.

If you read the link you will find that FormulaOutlaw is in Nokomis Florida, knows nothing about the lake, never heard of Fays and never heard of winnipesaukee.com.

I wonder how many new people have registered since this poll was started?
Old 01-17-2005, 05:18 PM   #12
B R

Default not entirely true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Lover
They are NOT users of the lake. They are Powerboaters registering at this forum in order to vote on the poll and have an effect on the passage of the speed limit. They think this poll may be looked at by legislators and help defeat the new law. They will do anything to stop a speed limit.

If you read the link you will find that FormulaOutlaw is in Nokomis Florida, knows nothing about the lake, never heard of Fays and never heard of winnipesaukee.com.

i am a user of the lake and i am not in favor of a speed limit bill.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:18 PM   #13
Silver Duck

Bear Lover

Did I miss something? The thread you linked to had quite a few NH & MA addresses, and nobody from Nokomis, FL.

Anyway, I've a few of things I'd like you to consider.

First, there's a very obvious move afoot to drive performance boats off the lake. You should hardly be surprised that performance boaters are gearing up to resist it!

Second, I suspect that quite a few Forum participants are "Powerboaters", so perhaps you might want to make that sound less like an accusation. Actually, you probably own a powerboat yourself if you're on Bear Island. (Or, you like geting marooned, since sailboats are less tollerant of heavy weather conditions than powerboats. Personally, I love sailing and have a shelf full of trophys from my racing days, but wouldn't want to depend on a sailboat, or canoe, or rowboat, or kayak for getting off an island in an emergency.)

Third, there are many Forum members who live in states other than NH or MA but love the lake. So far as I'm concerned, their input and views are just as welcome as anybody else's.

Silver Duck
Old 01-17-2005, 07:49 PM   #14
BI1

Quote:

I for one am a resident! And a user!... I have been a member for several months and Have chose not to offer a opinion on anything till now this is important to the lake and the NH economy... the people who have registered and vote in the pole are Americans and are free to do so that’s what makes this country great!!!! Don’t for get it! The speed limit issue will not fix the problems just dilute the m.ps to radar cops not looking for safety issues! we need basic education with every boat sold.. or registered ..That would be a good start..
Old 01-17-2005, 07:53 PM   #15
Bear Islander

Angry

Silver Duck

I read the forum at the link. There are 4 pages of posts, it could be you only read the first page.

There are posts by several people from the area but many are from California, Texas, Washington State and other far away places. "Formula Outlaw" lists his location as Sarasota FL, but in a post he does say he lives in Nokomis FL. They openly talk about signing up here so the can vote against the speed limit. They also say some pretty awful things about this forum and several people here. And they even say that the really bad posts have been deleted because they are afraid we might find the site and read them.

I imagine they will delete even more when they find out we are on to them.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:13 PM   #16
Outlaw

Default Food for thought

Here's a question that will stir up things.......

Let me stage a picture in your mind. It's Saturday, July 2nd, 2005 a long holiday weekend at 2:00 PM and there are in excess of 100 boats in the Broads alone and at least 1/2 that in Paugus Bay and in at least 100 boats elsewhere on the lake (not anchored or docked). For argument sake, lets say 20% of these boats are technically in violation of the proposed 45mph.

How would you propose this law be enforced? Meaning, how would violators be detected, stopped, and written up. Not to mention how the whole process would work in the courts when tickets are protested - "who" would be responsible to show up to enforce the violation.............

Now keep in mind that New Hampshire Marine Patrol came out against this proposed bill last time it was out.

Why do you think these boaters are violating the (proposed) speed limit? Is it because they can? Well, that is probably true - why not, we do it on the roads, so why not do it on the water. At least on the roads we have rules and laws that are enforced such as white lines, yellow lines, traffic lights and signs (a million signs of all sorts). None of which exist on the water. We do have rules and laws for the water, many of which I am most confident the average boater who comes to Winni may not be aware of. I'm sure you've all heard them at least once in your lifetime (hopefully). Maybe even some of you took a boating safety course to learn more about them. But how many boaters out there either haven't yet taken the course, or did but did not take is seriously, but rather just to pass and get the required certification, because that's what NH says we must do. How frustrating it must be for those boaters who did take the course and took it seriously and abide by the rules and regs and each day encounter someone who does not. Similar to why insurance rates continue to sky rocket, we all end up paying for those select few who continue to ignore the laws. I can only hope that some day those select few will meet with 'justice'.

I can quote you all the boating safety laws for NH, but better yet, why not just visit one of the following web sites to learn about them. The more you know the better empowered you are to operate your vessel in a safe manner and avoid dangerous situations, of which speed can be one of them.

Many of you have done this last year (and thank you all), and you need to do it again this year, is visit the Town Docks (usually Meredith, Wolfeboro and Alton) on one of the predefined Vessel Safety Check days. Not only to have your boat inspected for NH safety rules and regs, but to learn more about NH Boating Rules and Regs in general from your Vessel Examiner. There are two dates scheduled at this time: June 11th and July 23rd, 2005 (typically 8AM to 4PM).

Also, May 21 - 27, 2005 is National Safe Boating Week. Check with your areas local Marina to see what activities are planned around the lakes region.

Here are the sites I spoke of:
http://www.lrsps.org
http://usps.org/national
http://state.nh/us/safety/ss/

Thank you and safe boating to all this summer.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:21 PM   #17
FormulaOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander
Silver Duck

I read the forum at the link. There are 4 pages of posts, it could be you only read the first page.

There are posts by several people from the area but many are from California, Texas, Washington State and other far away places. "Formula Outlaw" lists his location as Sarasota FL, but in a post he does say he lives in Nokomis FL. They openly talk about signing up here so the can vote against the speed limit. They also say some pretty awful things about this forum and several people here. And they even say that the really bad posts have been deleted because they are afraid we might find the site and read them.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the fact that you are "on to us" is of absolutely no concern to us whatsoever. As far as the deleted posts go, refer to Audiofn's post in the other thread.

Also, Nokomis is approximately ten miles south of Sarasota, although I lived in the city limits of Sarasota for well over 20 years. I just list Sarasota because people know where that is, if I listed Nokomis, people would not know. Not a real hard item to understand. Also lived in Maine for 18 years.

Appears as though Bear Lover is getting spanked by some of the longtime members of this Forum. Hope is at hand.

This whole issue of the lake is not going to be resolved one whit by speed limits. Only by education and awareness, and I really believe that most of you agree with that. As mentioned previously, the speed limit idea is a thin veiled attempt to get rid of those nasty old "ceegar" boats off the lake, although they have just as much right to that lake any anyone else. It's just that some people can't stand the idea that others have the same rights as them. Tough world isn't it......
Old 01-18-2005, 01:16 AM   #18
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander
Silver Duck
They also say some pretty awful things about this forum and several people here. And they even say that the really bad posts have been deleted because they are afraid we might find the site and read them.
I applaud Dons work at keeping this forum a family "G" rating , but the people "over there" are simply expressing their opinions , some of which seem rather justified at times. And trust me , they know "your on to them" Did you ever think they may just be "pulling your chain"?
We fought the same battle in Jersey just last year and the speed limit lost. The case was presented calmly and sensibly with facts to back up the the figures. We did pick up some additional no wake zones where it is particularly congested on the weekends. Thats ok , because the idiots and morons are not limited to Winnipesaukee...we have them too and our waters get just as congested on the weekends. That's why I enjoy boating on week days both here and on Winni. As a matter of fact , my past couple of lake visits have been on a Monday to Friday basis. Yank the boat out by dinner Friday...pack up and bail out 6 am Saturday morning. In case you haven't noticed the lake is gorgeous during the week

Quote:
There is an outside group attempting to "fix" the outcome of this poll. FormulaOutlaw and a bunch of his friends on offshoreonly.com are registering here just so they can vote against the speed limit.
Wanna bet??? I live in Jersey and have been using the lake since1953 and a forum member since 2000
Old 01-18-2005, 06:23 AM   #19
BI1

Default Lake boats

Do ya think that the wooden lake boats from the 40s and 50s (Garwoods,Chriscrafts) had to deal with this stuff??Everyone flocks to the Weirs docks to see them now..I wonder what was said when they first came to the lake??

Last edited by BI1; 01-18-2005 at 06:25 AM.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:03 AM   #20
Belmont Resident

Default Speed limit is not the fix

Why place a limit on speed when as far as I can remember there has never been an accident related to speed?
Who will enforce a speed limit?
Last year the topic was because of all the close calls. Well life is full of close calls. Every time I drive down the road I see close calls, should we decrease the speed on the roads because something might happen?
The same people who are for it are the same ones who constantly complain about boaters violating the 150' rule. Now place another burden on the already over burdened MP. Do you think they will be responding at all to your call of a boat buzzing your dock? No they will be to busy trying to catch all those boaters who are driving over 45.
As for a nighttime spped limit, we are all suppose to be responsible for our wakes but who is going to prove anything at night when all boats are now throwing up huge wakes because they cannot get up to speed to plane off due to a 25 mph speed limit.
Except for when there is an event like fireworks or bike week there usually are not many boats out on the lake at night.
Hopefully the powers that be have this in mind when they decide what is right and what is unenforceable.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:18 AM   #21
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw
"...Why do you think these boaters are violating the (proposed) speed limit? Is it because they can? Well, that is probably true - why not, we do it on the roads, so why not do it on the water...?
If you have a mishap on Route 11, it is unlikely that you will drown.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:02 AM   #22
xltRod

Hey bear lover, I have been reading and enjoying posts on this board since before you had to register. I just registered to vote on this important issue. I have been wanting to register for some time but have not got off my butt to do it. Thanks to the narrow minded and self centered people of the aera, I have finely become a member.
Thank you IG, RG , Mcdude, and others for the pics around the lake, Thanks for the history lessons, I love em. This forum is awsome and we need the mix of people that this place has to see other points of view. We dont need to be regulated to death by people that hide under the bed and wine that it's bad out there. Thanks for listening. Rod
Old 01-18-2005, 09:32 AM   #23
Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second
And if you have a mishap in the Broads it is unlikely you will collide head on with a semi........ And your point is what?
Old 01-18-2005, 09:48 AM   #24
Seaplane Pilot

Thumbs down One more "Local" vote here

FYI: I live on Winnipesaukee and have voted against the speed limit.

Last edited by Seaplane Pilot; 01-18-2005 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:19 AM   #25
Frdxplorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaOutlaw
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the fact that you are "on to us" is of absolutely no concern to us whatsoever. As far as the deleted posts go, refer to Audiofn's post in the other thread.

Also, Nokomis is approximately ten miles south of Sarasota, although I lived in the city limits of Sarasota for well over 20 years. I just list Sarasota because people know where that is, if I listed Nokomis, people would not know. Not a real hard item to understand. Also lived in Maine for 18 years.

Appears as though Bear Lover is getting spanked by some of the longtime members of this Forum. Hope is at hand.

This whole issue of the lake is not going to be resolved one whit by speed limits. Only by education and awareness, and I really believe that most of you agree with that. As mentioned previously, the speed limit idea is a thin veiled attempt to get rid of those nasty old "ceegar" boats off the lake, although they have just as much right to that lake any anyone else. It's just that some people can't stand the idea that others have the same rights as them. Tough world isn't it......

Well I might disagree with one statement. While you are correct that at the moment Go Fasts have just as much right to use the lake as smaller or slower boats, this is really an issue for the State Leg. to decide. You may have noticed before, highways and neighborhood roads that limit a trucks weight or height, or even width. These are restrictions put in place by the Dept. of Trans. for safety and practicality reasons. There are also rules against riding bicyles along many interstates. Again, a restriction against a certain method of transportation. These are all restrictions that have been considered closely, and in the opinion of an elected official or an expert on such issues, have been deemed necessary. I would just caution you against using blanket statements like "we have just as much right" in any argument because ultimately, you might not.

And while I agree that education and knowledge would be a much better way to adress this issue than a speedlimit, I would have to say that it is a rather utopian pipe dream. I tend to think that if everyone were educated on driving an automobile better we would be in much better shape as well. It's just not happening. So we are forced to resort to the more efective method of posting laws that, when vioalted, carry punishments.

Finally, I noticed that you left out your signature about "blowboats". Certainly being an advocate of "boating education" you would agree that there is perhaps no better way to gain a full and unyeilding knowledge of boating safety than on a sailboat. It is, perhaps, why all graduating officers from the United States Coast Guard Academy are trained on the 295' US Coast Guard Barque Eagle. I would argue that my 12 year old cousin could probably figure out how to make a powerboat go faster and point it in the general direction they want it to go. A sailboat capt must have a great deal of knowledge of tides, currents and wind patterns just to name a few. There is also, of course, no need to worry about how many miles to the next Shell.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:00 AM   #26
GWC...

Default Me thinks you slant the truth, aye...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frdxplorer
A sailboat capt must have a great deal of knowledge of tides, currents and wind patterns just to name a few. There is also, of course, no need to worry about how many miles to the next Shell.
So must a powerboat captain "have a great deal of knowledge of tides, currents and wind patterns just to name a few."

As for "no need to worry about how many miles to the next Shell.", perhaps you could enlighten the rest of us landlubbers as to why the Eagle has a maximum range?

From the website:

Maximum Range: 5450 miles

Old 01-18-2005, 02:40 PM   #27
PROPELLER

Default Speed Limit

I too am a registered NH voter, I pay taxes to the town of Gilford & I AM AGAINST A SPEED LIMIT LAW. I voted against it in this poll, I have written to the lone sponsor of the bill(that should give you some idea of the support. Many bills have multiple sponsors) & my legislators letting them know of my position & urging them not to support HB 162.

Having said that I think many forum readers are missing the intent of this law. The way I see it the intent is not to simply post a speed limit because any speed above 45 mph is dangerous, but to eliminate a specific kind of boat from the lake. Thats why 45 MPH was chosen. 45 MPH is a very average WOT speed for the typical bowriders & smaller express cruisers on the lake. However, it is a very slow speed for another kind of boat which I do not need to spell out, therefore making it undesirable for a boat owner of this kind to use it on Winni.

What will be next on the agenda is a horsepower limit to eliminate another kind of boat(larger cruisers). And after that will be a bill to eliminate all rafting anywhere on the lake. DO YOU SEE THE TREND. There are individuals who use this lake & there are some on this forum(I can tell by some of the posts & comments) that wish to turn this lake into their own private playground & to eliminate anything they do not like. What better way to do that than through legislation under the guise of whats best for the lake ecology & whats in the best interest of everyones safety.

If those against these things discussed above become complacent & believe it will never happen, eventually it will happen. Over time these ideas will gain support. So, if you are not in favor of these kinds of things, stand up & let your voice be heard, do not become complacent.

One last thing I would like to adress is something that fdxplorer said in his previous post. He said that education & knowledge as a better way to effect lake activities is a utopian pipe dream. While it may take years education & knowledge will eventually have the desired effects if the powers that be stay the course & are diligent in their efforts. I can think of a couple of examples. Educating the public on the dangers of smoking is one. Another is educating the public about proper diet & exercise. While there will always be those that will smoke & those who will not eat right & exercise they are becoming SLOWLY, the exception rather than the norm.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:43 PM   #28
Frdxplorer

GWC,

Very nicely done. I am glad you have done your research. I wish I had a definate answer for you. The only thing I could think of is that that is the distance they would anticipate being able to sustain the crew in terms of food etc. Of course, that assumes no calls to port.

And you are correct, all boaters must pay attention to those considerations metnioned. A subtle change may effect a sailboat more, but as I think we have all agreed upon so far, education is important for all boaters.

My main reason for posting my original message was that Formulaoutlaw seemed to be indicating he felt that there was a lack of respect and courtesy shown to Offshores by other boaters. (namely their repeated attempts to limit speed etc and run them out of certain bodies of water). His message about "not letting friends drive blowboats" seemed to pose a little bit of a paradox to this original feeling.

My family has 3 Boston Whaler powerboats on the lake. I am certainly not opposed to powerboats in general, or even offshores specifically. I agree that education is key. But I must also admit, I tended to agree with Bear Lover on his concerns for a skewed outcome. I would personally be more interested in hearing what those familiar with the lake (people such as yourself GWC) had to say. Not to say only those that are familiar with the lake should be welcome on the forum. But to stake a position without much knowledge of local laws and customs on the lake seems to undermine this whole "education and knowledge" is key argument.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:57 PM   #29
cowisl

I live on Cow Island and am against the speed limit. The issue here is not speed; it is poorly educated boaters and improper enforcement.

Marine Patrol officers should go after people who disobey the 150' foot law before they go after people who do not have their boats registered.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:31 PM   #30
ApS

Quote:
"...Why do you think these boaters are violating the (proposed) speed limit? Is it because they can? Well, that is probably true - why not, we do it on the roads, so why not do it on the water..."
Boiled down, Outlaw's statement was that exceeding the speed limit set for the highway is no different a case than exceeding a speed limit set for the Lake.

Quote:
Quote:
And if you have a mishap in the Broads it is unlikely you will collide head on with a semi........ And your point is what?
This may be a "right-brain" / "left-brain" issue. Perhaps a parable will help:

I stood with a old retired aircraft pilot once, contemplating a light plane that had just crashed into a pine tree right adjacent to Lake Winnipesaukee. There were no injuries.

I asked the old guy, "Which is the better crash site to choose, were it possible...a lake or a tree?"

He told me, "The impact is the same, but you won't drown if you've selected the tree."

Well, I see the logic in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident
"...Last year the topic was because of all the close calls..."
It also happened to be the cloudiest, soggiest, coldest, most turbid season in years with a low turnout of boaters, divers, and skiers. What happens next season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
"...We fought the same battle in Jersey just last year and the speed limit lost..."
As goes 'Jersey, so goes New Hampshire?

How many people are fleeing New Hampshire for 'Jersey?

State motto: "New Jersey...You got a problem wid dat?"
Old 01-18-2005, 08:09 PM   #31
Outlaw

Default The Topic is: Speed Limit Poll

Quote:
I stood with a old retired aircraft pilot once, contemplating a light plane that had just crashed into a pine tree right adjacent to Lake Winnipesaukee. There were no injuries.

I asked the old guy, "Which is the better crash site to choose, were it possible...a lake or a tree?"

How many people are fleeing New Hampshire for 'Jersey?

State motto: "New Jersey...You got a problem wid dat?"
Acres per Second, aka Madrashas, aka I.R. - If you're going to continue to change your screen name every so often, at least change your writing style.

And more importantly, stick to the topic. Everyone is so so tired and bored with your anticis. If you have something to say about the topic of HB162, write a letter, make a phone or send an email to the local representative. If you are not familiar with who is the rep for Winter Habor, let me know and I can find out for you.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:11 PM   #32
KTO

Thumbs down Maybe a speed limit is needed!

I don't know if it's just me (and excuse me if I offend anyone), but I believe that people on the lake are just plain RUDE! For example, passing past Eagle Island on a weekend, have you ever noticed, NOBODY SLOWS DOWN? It is becoming much less common every year! Why is everyone in such a hurry? I mean, if you are out boating, you are most likely on vacation. . . I hope anyway!

If people could just be a bit more respectful to other boaters, there wouldn't need to be a poll in the first place (If this poll was meant for other reasons, and with my luck it probably was, I'm sorry! ) But its just ridiculous how people don't understand basic numbers, like I don't know, 150 for example!

Just to let you all know, this is NOT a heated post and I am not speaking out of pure anger (maybe a little anger) but it is quite irritating when the 150 feet rule isn't followed.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:16 PM   #33
Outlaw

Default Nail on the head

KTO - you hit the nail on the head with this post - excellent, thank you. What I believe you are referring to is what is known as BOATER EDUCATION. Mix that with a little common courtsey and guess what, the boaters police themselves.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:23 PM   #34
Frdxplorer

Quote:
If you are not familiar with who is the rep for Winter Habor, let me know and I can find out for you.
Outlaw, thanks for the offer, although it was not specifically made to me. If you wouldn't mind just letting me know where I can find that information I would greatly appreciate it. I certainly don't expect you to have to look it up by yourself. Although I am not a voting resident of NH, my Political Science background tells me that as an informed individual I really should know this. Also, please correct me if I am wrong, but don't I recall that same Poli Sci background taught me that there is a huge number of state legislators in NH. Thanks for your help Outlaw! Stay warm up there.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:28 PM   #35
upthesaukee

Frdexpoler...In the first page of the speedlimit thread, there is a post by Island Girl that has links to legislative pages where you can get info on Reps if you know them, and also a link for finding out who your rep is. Click on a county and you will get the appropriate reps.

Stay Warm!!
Old 01-18-2005, 10:32 PM   #36
Island Girl

Default Some work, some do not

I sent an email to all on the list that I posted. A few of the addresses are invalid, less than 10%. I have heard back from several of the reps and the dialogue has been interesting. I very much appreciate that they took the time to respond.

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Old 01-18-2005, 11:41 PM   #37
Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee
Frdexpoler...In the first page of the speedlimit thread, there is a post by Island Girl that has links to legislative pages where you can get info on Reps if you know them, and also a link for finding out who your rep is. Click on a county and you will get the appropriate reps.

Stay Warm!!
Thanks upthesaukee for helping out with this one, I appreciate it.

Frdexpoler, I hope you find what you are looking for - it's refreshing to hear someone who actually wants to be informed and takes the time to do so - Thanks.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:34 AM   #38
Just Sold

I hope those who can will attend the Hearing today. I cannot but did send e-mails to 6 of the Rep's from my town with very positive results. Of the responses I recieved all expressed interest and did not support HB 162. One who did respond is a little out of touch with the realities of what speed is required to go water skiing, " a boat can not pull skiers at 45mph", but did agree a speed limit is not the right solution.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:56 AM   #39
Frdxplorer

Thanks for everyone's help. I appreciate it. Just Sold, can you really not pull skiers at 45 MPH? If this is the case I would have been out of touch as well. I keep our whaler at about 3500 RPM while pulling a skiier. We don't have a speed guage but I estimate that to be closer to 25-30 MPH. I will have to check it using the handheld GPS next year. I guess different boats require different levels of speed to pull a skier. Speaking of... I wish it were skiing time again.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:14 AM   #40
PROPELLER

Default Skiing

On a slalom ski you would probably sink or at least drag severely at 25mph but on combo skis you may be ok. It also depends on the weight of the skier. I typically ski at 32-33 mph on a slalom ski but anywhere from 30-35 depending on the skier is good. I don't barefoot but I believe 40mph at the very least is needed, maybe more. I have friends that have barefoot skied & I think they needed at least 40mph.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:10 PM   #41
CMG

For the 30 some odd people that feel strongly about a speed limit - let me be the first to thank all of you for not showing up today at the hearing!! there had to be 25 of us opposed.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:18 AM   #42
Frdxplorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROPELLER
On a slalom ski you would probably sink or at least drag severely at 25mph but on combo skis you may be ok. It also depends on the weight of the skier. I typically ski at 32-33 mph on a slalom ski but anywhere from 30-35 depending on the skier is good. I don't barefoot but I believe 40mph at the very least is needed, maybe more. I have friends that have barefoot skied & I think they needed at least 40mph.
Somehow I am missing something. I slalom all the time behind our 20' whaler. According to the GPS, we can't get the thing above about 40 MPH and when I am skiing, we run at a much lower RPM than full throttle. There is no dragging and no sinking either. Very typical ride. Maybe the GPS is off.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:34 AM   #43
ApS

Default Speed has its trade-offs

My most recent slalom skiing was done pre-GPS.

The fastest I ever skied was behind a "big" 18-footer with a 60HP Mercury. (Direct-reversing, too -- a neat safety and convenience feature).

Back then, we skied at an indicated 26 MPH. Being skinny back then, we could have skied much faster with that rig.

This indicated 26 MPH speed was consistent with our slower -- but still happy -- ski boat experience, which showed indicated speeds of 20-22MPH, and was commensurately effortless. I fell off -- as one is wont to do in water skiing -- and was given a hit to my stomach (and knocked near-unconscious) by my state-mandated ski belt. Ski belts are history now, but that recollection stays.

Non-skiers are unaware of how "hard" water gets as the speeds increase. You don't want to be ejected from any speeding boat, just as you wouldn't want to be ejected from an SUV at any speed.

(Ejection is just one other reason for the proposed speed limit and its poll).

Last edited by ApS; 01-21-2005 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Add skier
Old 01-21-2005, 10:54 AM   #44
Just Sold

"FRDXPLORER: Just Sold, can you really not pull skiers at 45 MPH? "

I never said that. That was an e-mail comment from one of my local state reps. When I was younger and still waterski'd we never needed big HP to get up on the ski's and it certainly was not at 45MPH but closer to 25 to 30 mph. We used a 35hp Evinrude on a 1955 15' Lyman with rear seat steering for quite a few years before moving up to an inboard 19' Lyman (1959) w/109HP Grey Marine engine. By the way our boat was the "ELBO" for Eleanor and Bob, my parents.

Last edited by Just Sold; 01-21-2005 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:14 PM   #45
zantheman

I'm not a New Hampshire resident (wish I was) but I do visit the lake each summer with my boat. Here in New Jersey we do have a speed limit on Hopatcong on the weekends and at night. Is it effective? On crowded summer weekends on a lake of Hopatcong's size maybe. That being said I can't see one on Winnipesaukee particularly in the broads. Maybe sections of the lake on weekends but not the entire lake. Its kind of like the rafting arguments going on on this board. I like the idea of designated rafting zones and maybe there should be zones where one can open it up and zones where you can't. Like someone said there are zones where it's not prudent to go fast anyway. I don't want to get step on any NH residents toes who are totally opposed to a limit but just make a suggestion. We love the lake and look forward to our trip in August.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
Old 03-24-2005, 05:52 PM   #46
Cal

If my memory serves me correctly , isn't Hopatcong about the size of Alton Bay?
Old 03-25-2005, 08:22 AM   #47
zantheman

Cal:

Hopatcong's about the size of Newfound Lake. Just out of interest what waterways were the speed limit voted down on in NJ that you metioned in an earlier post? Hopatcong's limit has been around for years. The speed limit is only enforced on weekends between Memorial Day and Labor Day.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
Old 03-25-2005, 09:03 AM   #48
ApS

Default Pulse felt in Bill 162...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMG
For the 30 some odd people that feel strongly about a speed limit - let me be the first to thank all of you for not showing up today at the hearing!! there had to be 25 of us opposed.
But this appeared just last week in the Granite State News:

Quote:
"House Bill 162 is currently under retention by the New Hampshire House Committee for Resources, Recreation, and Development. This bill aims to place reasonable speed limits on Lake Winnipesaukee. The Committee will either kill the bill or pass it on to the full house in its current or an amended state for full legislative consideration. If you are a citizen of the State of New Hampshire, whether or not you use or desire to use Lake Winnipesaukee, you have a personal interest in this bill.

"Lake Winnipesaukee is owned by all of the citizens of N.H. and its waters have been set aside by statute for the use and pleasure of all. It is your right to recreate on this lake, yet if you have visited over the past few years, you know that you are most often being denied this right, unless you own a very large boat or you are very daring.

"Whether the lake has actually become unsafe for ordinary family activities or it is just the perception of a growing danger, the result is the same; present conditions have effectively rendered the lake off limits to many of the state's ordinary citizens, probably including you, for much of the time. Activities that were once common on the lake, like sailing, canoeing, kayaking, water skiing, and leisure boating, are becoming too risky or just not enjoyable. Wildlife, water quality, shoreline erosion and other environmental issues are also being impacted by the hostile activities of a dominant few. These hostile activities go virtually hand in hand with the high-speed operation of the ever-faster boats that are becoming more and more common on the lake every year.

"Other lakes around the country have already gone through the "growing pains" that Winnipesaukee is currently experiencing, and have solved those by enacting speed limit laws identical to those proposed by HB 162. Enforcement of these laws has not been a problem for other marine law enforcement agencies. Inexpensive and effective equipment is available for measuring boat speed. Conviction rates of offenders have been high. And the overall environment and atmosphere on these other lakes has been improved dramatically once speed limits were instituted. Let no one tell you otherwise.

"The existing laws on Winnipesaukee, although extensive and theoretically sufficient, have simply proven ineffective. And as matters grow worse and worse it has surely become time for a new approach.

"There will be strong opposition to this bill from those who own and profit from over-powered speedboats and from the lobbyists they have hired. There is a lot of money being made and spent on these expensive boats by the few who sell them and the wealthy few that can afford them, but although they are organized and loud, it should not take much common sense to recognize that they can only represent a small minority of the voting citizenry of this state. And this is the same loud minority that has repeatedly stood in the way of any reasonable restrictions on the vulgar and dangerous behaviors that have robbed Lake Winnipesaukee of the family environment that had always been its hallmark..."

If you're afraid of the lake, stay off the dock.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:42 AM   #49
CMG

Quote:
But this appeared just last week in the Granite State News:

If you're afraid of the lake, stay off the dock.
madsarah, event the writer from the Granite State News, though sharing your feelings on a speed limit, did not bother to show up at the hearing. I have a lot more faith in the opinion of the head of the Marine Patrol than a writers.

I've already reserved my dock at relatives house on the lake and will not bother with the ocean this year. I will adhere to all existing laws like I have always done and look forward to an enjoyable summer on the lake.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:52 PM   #50
Boater

Quote:
...although they are organized and loud, it should not take much common sense to recognize that they can only represent a small minority...
What a great article. It sums up my feelings very nicely. Excessively fast, noisy and powerful boats do present a problem for inland lakes everywhere and many have implemented reasonable restrictions to ensure that everyone can enjoy them.

Hopefully the "organized and loud" minority here will not succeed in suppressing the opinions of the unorganized and quiet majority.

Thanks for posting the article.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:52 AM   #51
Cal

Zan,
Last year NJ was trying for a speed limit on the ICW for the entire length of NJ. including a number of rivers feeding it. I'll bet most people who complain about the Weirs Beach area on the the weekends have never seen the Cape May / Wildwood area on our weekends( not even a 150' law). That's one reason I enjoy weekday boating . It's the only way to fly

Last edited by Cal; 03-27-2005 at 08:56 AM.