Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues > Speed Limits
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-04-2006, 08:49 AM   #1
Lakegeezer

Default Gender bias in the vote

The vote was very biased along gender lines.

Women reps voted 75% FOR the speed limit (85 to 28)
Men reps voted 51% AGAINST the speed limit (110 to 106)
Old 02-04-2006, 09:22 AM   #2
Evenstar

Wink

And this actually surprises you?

Woman aren't macho (at least most aren't) - they don't feel the need to measure themselves by how fast their car, boat, snowmobile, or whatever goes.

It's called testosterone.

Thank goodness that a large percentage of the House are female!
Old 02-04-2006, 09:33 AM   #3
Quilt Lady

Default Interesting . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer
Let's see . . . if 75% of the women and 49% of the men who were elected by the actual residents of this state were in favor of HB 162, and assuming the population of the state is evenly split 50/50 (male/female) then . . . golly gee . . . maybe our elected official really did listen to what the people who LIVE, WORK and PAY TAXES in this state wanted and not the "special interests".

That is how it is suppose to work!

(Doing my best to encourage Global Warming ... one quilt at a time!)
Old 02-04-2006, 03:16 PM   #4
Rayhunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilt Lady
Let's see . . . if 75% of the women and 49% of the men who were elected by the actual residents of this state were in favor of HB 162, and assuming the population of the state is evenly split 50/50 (male/female) then . . . golly gee . . . maybe our elected official really did listen to what the people who LIVE, WORK and PAY TAXES in this state wanted and not the "special interests".

That is how it is suppose to work!
No I believe woman are more easily scared by anything that may be dangerous to them or there children. EVEN IF ITS FALSE INFORMATION !!
Please look at the facts !!
Slower boats make larger wakes then faster ones "Laws of hydrodynamics"
Speed is well down the list of causes for fatalities.
The lake is so large , putting a blanket speed limit on the entire thing at all times is REDICULOUS !!
Wake up folks !!
Big brother is watching
Old 02-04-2006, 03:24 PM   #5
Mee-n-Mac

Talking Different measuring stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar
And this actually surprises you?

Woman aren't macho (at least most aren't) - they don't feel the need to measure themselves by how fast their car, boat, snowmobile, or whatever goes.

It's called testosterone.

Thank goodness that a large percentage of the House are female!
Sure, they measure themselves by how big the rock is on that ring Or by how pretty those shoes are or that purse is. Then again I swear some do measure themselves by how fast they can whip out a credit card and max it. Guess there's some testosterone mixed in with the estrogen eh

Now leave me alone, I'm going to the basement to use some power tools to make the HPS ...
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2006, 04:22 PM   #6
KBoater

Wink Pondering

QL I like your analysis.
Here is something to ponder.
I guess that the gender bias can apply to anyone. Does that mean that females must drive boats slower? Does anyone know the age bias? Do seniors drive slower? How do these groups vote? This whole thing could add to another infinite thread. I am in both groups and have been know to drive a boat fast so where do I fit.
I’m getting the Florida equivalent of cabin fever because I have been grounded by weather and tides so I ponder the speed limits on Winnie. Here we have a 25 limit until I get to the Gulf. People learn to get their boats on plane under 25.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:23 PM   #7
Evenstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayhunt
No I believe woman are more easily scared by anything that may be dangerous to them or there children. EVEN IF ITS FALSE INFORMATION !!
Please look at the facts !!
Slower boats make larger wakes then faster ones "Laws of hydrodynamics"
Speed is well down the list of causes for fatalities.
The lake is so large , putting a blanket speed limit on the entire thing at all times is REDICULOUS !!
Wake up folks !!
Big brother is watching
It's more like woman are more mature. Try using your body and your skill instead of horsepower sometime. Speed is a very relative thing. If you want thrills, try kayaking on class III white water, or out in on a large lake during rough weather, or try xc skiing on expert slopes. I've done all those things and much more. I don't scare that easily.

My fear of being out on a lake among high speed powerboats is based on my own personal experience. I've had speeding boats come very close and it was obvious that they didn't even see me until the very last second. If they are going slower that will buy me a few more seconds.

Speed is often not sited as the cause of an accident simply because of the lack of a speed limit, yet speed is still listed 4th on the USCG report for the cause of boating accidents. I also have brought this up before: Accidents with less than $2000 damage aren't even on the USCG report, unless a person suffered injuries that require medical treatment. So the report isn't even covering all boating accidents. And most kayaks and canoes cost less than $2000.

Why is it that you guys are bringing up larger wakes as a reason for not having a speed limit? Most of us are not afraid of large wakes - we're afraid of being run over. Large wakes don't bother me a bit, in fact I enjoy surfing on them.

And there isn't a "blanket speed limit" - there's a 45mph MAXIMUM speed - you still have to slow down to headway speed whenever you're within 150 feet of other vessels, or of the shore (including islands).

Here's a basic law of physics for you: the faster a boat is traveling, the more distance it will cover in the time that it takes the operator to react to avoid another object. A boat traveling at 90 mph covers 132 feet in one second - at 45 mph it covers half that distance. Those extra 66 feet are very important to me and to others who supported this bill.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:51 PM   #8
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default I was curious, sooooooooo

I took a look at the roll call, and started making little hash marks for the voting (or not voting) by party. Remember, this bill was sponsored by Rep. Pilliod, R-Belknap 5th dist.

Democratic vote: Yea= 116 Nay= 14 Not voting= 20
Republican vote: Yea= 77 Nay=125 Not voting= 43
Presiding officer: Republican (did not vote - would only vote in case of a tie).

I think that's 395 representatives, and I thought we had 400, and no, I'm not going back and check my figures .

Quilt Lady stated that perhaps the legislators are listening to the voters. I'm not really sure. I looked at the representatives for Belknap dist 5, the Alton Gilford Belmont district (in part), which also happens to be the district for Rep. Pilliod. Now assuming (oh boy, there's that word!) that supporters and opponents would contact all 7 representatives and that they would be voting in concert with the predominant sides, it was interesting to see that the vote (all Republican, by the way) as Yea 2, Nay 4, and 1 not voting. Just glancing down the roll call, it did seem that there was not too much of a common thread in the voting except the strong Democratic support of the bill written by a Republican, and the strong (by almost 50 votes) rejection of the bill by Republicans.

So much for Civics class 101...
Old 02-04-2006, 10:21 PM   #9
fatlazyless

That's real interesting about how the woman reps voted. Seems reasonable to assume that woman would be less speedy and more safety. The Senate has 19 men and only 5 women and do not know what the Repub-Dem count is, so maybe the bill will get sunk in the Senate, but hope not.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:49 PM   #10
Paugus Bay Resident

Quote:
do not know what the Repub-Dem count is
16 Rep / 8 Dem (1 for each district).
4 of the Dem senators are women, 1 on the Rep side.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:33 AM   #11
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer
The vote was very biased along gender lines.

Does the first line of voters include the "girlie-men" voters?
Old 02-05-2006, 10:41 AM   #12
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

You can always count on democrats to vote for more government intusion.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:55 AM   #13
fatlazyless

Default less speedy/more safety!

How's that for a bumper sticker for an HB 162 campaign slogan as it zooms over to the State Senate for a thumbs up or thumbs down from the 24 NH State Senators?

Maybe this is a little off-topic from the gender bias issue but here's a link to how much one speeding (aka spending) ticket ends up costing you.

http://www.moneycentral.msn.com/cont...car/p51288.asp

Did you know that while auto insurance in NH is somewhat optional and is mandatory in Massachusetts, that NH drivers are in fact, more likely to have insurance coverage than Mass drivers. My source....some old Union Leader, or somewhere, article. How about that?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-06-2006 at 11:09 AM. Reason: mispelled speeding
Old 02-06-2006, 10:51 AM   #14
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paugus Bay Resident
16 Rep / 8 Dem (1 for each district).
4 of the Dem senators are women, 1 on the Rep side.
AAAHHH.Based on the one sided democratic voting there is hope after all.