Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2021, 02:50 PM   #1
winterh

Default Ice music

Stayed at my cottage last night. I slept in a built in window seat I have, just 20 ft or so from the lake. All night long I heard the low rumbling sounds of the ice. Reminded me of the sounds you hear when they record big whales communicating underwater. Sometimes it was kind of a gurgling sound. I have heard it a few times before but never this loud and as often. Loons in the summer, ice in the winter. Love the sounds of the lake. Anyone know what exactly I am hearing and how it is happening?
winterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 03:34 PM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterh View Post
Stayed at my cottage last night. I slept in a built in window seat I have, just 20 ft or so from the lake. All night long I heard the low rumbling sounds of the ice. Reminded me of the sounds you hear when they record big whales communicating underwater. Sometimes it was kind of a gurgling sound. I have heard it a few times before but never this loud and as often. Loons in the summer, ice in the winter. Love the sounds of the lake. Anyone know what exactly I am hearing and how it is happening?
That sounds pretty awesome. Hopefully not to throw things too off-topic, but is the cottage heated/well-insulated? Was it cold against the window? Sleeping bag/blankets? I'm always interested in what people use to stay nights in the winter.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 03:41 PM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Yes

We were down in Keewaydin in Alton Bay last afternoon into evening. Heard the same thing from the ice. We also heard it Fri night at Shibley's.

Far more ominous than the "tinkling" sound of ice crystals in the spring when the ice is breaking up. Mother Nature getting the last word in, I guess.

Dave
Old 02-01-2021, 04:10 PM   #4
SAB1

You are hearing the expansion of the ice as its building more. This weekend was so cold the sound was almost constant. Pretty cool to think how much pressure it takes to make that sound.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 04:21 PM   #5
winterh

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
That sounds pretty awesome. Hopefully not to throw things too off-topic, but is the cottage heated/well-insulated? Was it cold against the window? Sleeping bag/blankets? I'm always interested in what people use to stay nights in the winter.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Yes, place is well insulated and heated. Big picture window so u can feel the cold when sleeping right next to it but plenty of blankets. I never sleep in the bedrooms because this is such a great spot.
winterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2021, 04:33 PM   #6
Patofnaud

Sounds awesome (figuratively and literally).

Wait until the ice gets real thick and expansion ridges form, big ba da booms.

I grew up on a lake and if you are out there skating with no snow cover it gets really eerie hearing the ice move and crack around you.
Patofnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 04:35 PM   #7
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofnaud View Post
Sounds awesome (figuratively and literally).

Wait until the ice gets real thick and expansion ridges form, big ba da booms.

I grew up on a lake and if you are out there skating with no snow cover it gets really eerie hearing the ice move and crack around you.
Yes--like a giant beast!
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 04:38 PM   #8
garysanfran

The sound of thick ice expanding and cracking while traveling several miles in a fraction of a second is awesome. It can be very loud.

The audio on my Arlo cams were picking it up a couple of nights ago. I could hear it out here in San Francisco.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 05:34 PM   #9
jbolty

Many, many, many years ago my snowmobile died in the middle of the night on kanasatka for some reason and I had to walk home. I know the ice was at least two feet thick but the rumbling and cracking scared the crap out of me at the time; especially being dark and otherwise silent.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 07:40 PM   #10
GTO

Default Very loud

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
The sound of thick ice expanding and cracking while traveling several miles in a fraction of a second is awesome. It can be very loud.

The audio on my Arlo cams were picking it up a couple of nights ago. I could hear it out here in San Francisco.
I was walking on the ice along the shore yesterday and the ice was making all sorts of sounds. At one point there was a huge cracking sound all around me. Extremely loud. Scared the crap out of me.
Old 02-01-2021, 08:01 PM   #11
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
You are hearing the expansion of the ice as its building more. This weekend was so cold the sound was almost constant. Pretty cool to think how much pressure it takes to make that sound.
That's what they want us to believe.

I am pretty sure that sound is the mating call of Winni the lake monster!
8gv is online now   Reply With Quote